Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:59:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 [486] 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312396 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4905

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 12:09:07 AM

Started to read, realized I'm too stupid to follow it. Hope it is what's it's purported to be. Smiley

But wouldn't this give a Mt. Gox effect on the prices of all altcoins?  If people on Polo were on the inside, and maybe be using to pump some prices of altcoin, maybe Monero, wouldn't it have some kind of negative effect?  Not only that, but in a years time there will be another site that would do basically the same things?  It just seems like exchange sites are always dealt with some type of shady business.

If Gox had been investigated earlier maybe it would not have got so out of hand.

BTW I was a huge fan of POLO until they pulled that compliance thing without much notice. Now I barley use any exchanges.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 01:03:13 AM

There may be a Goxing going on at Cryptsy.  From the DASH thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg12671376#msg12671376

Please to upvote my post warning about problems with Cryptsy withdrawals since the 5th Oct:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3nkotr/cryptsy_responds_to_coinfire

Otohs 1 point 26 minutes ago

I had over $50,000 on Cryptsy on the 5th Oct, I sold (at a loss) for BTC, LTC & DASH, I was able to withdraw the 8,433 DASH, but the 2,886 LTC & 76.24 BTC have been stuck there for over one week, I was then locked out of my account and dealing with support has been a nightmare, fobbed off with "you're in a queue" or ignored mostly.

I would not advise risking any funds there atm.

Will update on developments...

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 01:10:09 AM

There may be a Goxing going on at Cryptsy.  From the DASH thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg12671376#msg12671376

Please to upvote my post warning about problems with Cryptsy withdrawals since the 5th Oct:

I had over $50,000 on Cryptsy on the 5th Oct, I sold (at a loss) for BTC, LTC & DASH, I was able to withdraw the 8,433 DASH, but the 2,886 LTC & 76.24 BTC have been stuck there for over one week, I was then locked out of my account and dealing with support has been a nightmare, fobbed off with "you're in a queue" or ignored mostly.

Looks like about half of his money is still stuck on craptsy.

If you don't hold it you don't own it.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 01:19:31 AM

My theory: There may still be some exit coins left on Cryptsy. DASH, Ripple,  Dodgecoin,  Ether but not not Bitcoin or Litecoin

I have similar experience with Cryptsy. Though for 0.75 BTC but same. And support disappeared 3 days ago. 7 days waiting...

I just don't have these issues with Cryptsy
I put 1.0 DASH in today and pull out 1.12..DASH a few minutes later
I understands it's less than $5USD
You think that maybe they are manually processing 'larger' amounts?
or worse
Using your coins to make 'money' for themselves?
anything is possible....

Or simply they ran out of XBT and LTC but not of DASH. I smell the ghost of Gox 2.0 here. The trick is to figure out what currencies they still have left, sell for those and get out. The fact that they locked Otoh's account is a real red flag. Mt Gox allowed me to reverse my pending CAD withdrawal, which I managed to convert to XBT and get out at a profit due to the Silk Road seizure in 2013. If they are in trouble they may want to prevent this kind of thing.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 02:21:55 AM

My theory: There may still be some exit coins left on Cryptsy. DASH, Ripple,  Dodgecoin,  Ether but not not Bitcoin or Litecoin

Interesting concept, "exit coins" could become a solid investment opportunity (short timespan) until Cryptsy's breath becomes shallow
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 02:50:16 AM

Interesting concept, "exit coins" could become a solid investment opportunity (short timespan) until Cryptsy's breath becomes shallow

Cryptsy's breath is shallow

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 03:15:38 AM

i heard about Gox the main problem was they ran a custom back end wallet which was problematic
and eventually they started fudging the books toying with things then when guys got spooked
they didn't have the capital to pay out so many withdrawls and eventually Mark threw a story out about hackers
when in reality he had the coins and knew exactly what the problem was..
NOTE: He had his lawyer admit he found something like 200,000 Bitcoins or something on a USB drive he said he "found in his couch"
AFTER he claimed hackers stole the coins (back around when Gox closed)

cryptsy ?
i think they have had similar problems over the last few years.. i have seen many times that BTC withdrawls will
end up frozen on people when it rocketed up in price.. this got so notorious before i started predicting it..
i would pull my coins out then tell others and then say i told you so afterwards.
i have also seen other fishy account freezing going on before..
what happened only they know but many warning signs point to them not being as honest as they claim to be
I stopped using them and never went back when i was fed some bs excuses when my coins vanished before while i was arb'ing
as soon as some coin exploded in value.. bam ! transfer problems and when i asked i was told their was a fork
and i went to every other exchange and all the other users and not 1 person on the internet so much as hinted at a fork..
BitJohn lied to me i think on Cryptsy chat about it and only after i badgered him about it..
I was on chat for hours and every once in a while i would ask if anyone else was waiting for coins too.. (they were ignoring me on chat playing dumb)
Eventually i was threatened to shut up about it or i'd be booted (they wanted the problem to be quiet)
I am certain they were simply freezing access to peoples coins so they could take advantage of the pump on the coin
by doing their own arb'ing.. with MY coins !
I came here and complained about it and said hey Cryptsy.. that is OUR money not yours your holding
Don't you god damn ever forget that !
so.. i left and i never did trust them and i have seen them pull a lot of shady sketchy shit over the years.
Holding large amounts of coins on there is very dumb i figure.

FUD first & ask questions later™
LucyLovesCrypto

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 03:29:52 AM

i heard about Gox the main problem was they ran a custom back end wallet which was problematic
and eventually they started fudging the books toying with things then when guys got spooked
they didn't have the capital to pay out so many withdrawls and eventually Mark threw a story out about hackers
when in reality he had the coins and knew exactly what the problem was..
NOTE: He had his lawyer admit he found something like 200,000 Bitcoins or something on a USB drive he said he "found in his couch"
AFTER he claimed hackers stole the coins (back around when Gox closed)

cryptsy ?
i think they have had similar problems over the last few years.. i have seen many times that BTC withdrawls will
end up frozen on people when it rocketed up in price.. this got so notorious before i started predicting it..
i would pull my coins out then tell others and then say i told you so afterwards.
i have also seen other fishy account freezing going on before..
what happened only they know but many warning signs point to them not being as honest as they claim to be
I stopped using them and never went back when i was fed some bs excuses when my coins vanished before while i was arb'ing
as soon as some coin exploded in value.. bam ! transfer problems and when i asked i was told their was a fork
and i went to every other exchange and all the other users and not 1 person on the internet so much as hinted at a fork..
BitJohn lied to me i think on Cryptsy chat about it and only after i badgered him about it..
I was on chat for hours and every once in a while i would ask if anyone else was waiting for coins too.. (they were ignoring me on chat playing dumb)
Eventually i was threatened to shut up about it or i'd be booted (they wanted the problem to be quiet)
I am certain they were simply freezing access to peoples coins so they could take advantage of the pump on the coin
by doing their own arb'ing.. with MY coins !
I came here and complained about it and said hey Cryptsy.. that is OUR money not yours your holding
Don't you god damn ever forget that !
so.. i left and i never did trust them and i have seen them pull a lot of shady sketchy shit over the years.
Holding large amounts of coins on there is very dumb i figure.

I cant wait for true decentralized blockchain based exchanges with liquidity.  The have been far too many hacks at various exchanges to trust them with a large amount.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2015, 03:48:24 AM

Aww, poor Otoh.  I feel so bad for him.

If only he had some kind of warning CrapSea is a scam exchange focused on scamcoins like Dash...

Oh wait...

CrapSea is welcome to shun Monero for as long as they please.  That place is so scamcoin friendly (#1 Darkcoin volume and in bed with GAW/Paycoin) it would make XMR look bad to be seen there.

This, with capital T H I & S.

Lulz.... dont trust  your coins to that exchange they are terrible... but congrats on the add

We warn people and they just don't do a search. :rolleyes:

#R3KT

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 05:46:08 AM

So far we had:
Ring sig as in Monero -> Obfuscate the sender, amount visible
Confidential transaction by gmaxwell -> Hide amount, sender visible

Now we have both together. Moar privacy Smiley

This seems like a really elegant and useful work, I'm super grateful to Shen.

Is it doable? Should we raise fund to implement it?
XMRpromotions

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 07:38:04 AM

So far we had:

People are talking about CT being great for bitcoin privacy. Think about how much better it will be when combined with CryptoNote!

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2015, 07:50:53 AM

So far we had:

People are talking about CT being great for bitcoin privacy. Think about how much better it will be when combined with CryptoNote!

Yes, no meta connections is better than possible meta connections.  Smiley

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 08:10:38 AM

So far we had:

Yes, no meta connections is better than possible meta connections.  Smiley

That CT monero paper is pretty intense. I got to page 5 and had to slow down. Lots of symbols, subscripts/super scripts, variables.

Even some of the terminology of "commitments" I had to look up in relation to cryptography.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

Harpua

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Spastic dead-eyed hound.

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 08:29:42 AM

Who made the CT paper for monero? Was it smooth or someone else in relation to the core dev team? I haven't even bothered to try reading it because there's no chance I would be able to comprehend it... Is there a dumbed down version?
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 08:32:34 AM

Who made the CT paper for monero? Was it smooth or someone else in relation to the core dev team? I haven't even bothered to try reading it because there's no chance I would be able to comprehend it... Is there a dumbed down version?

The TL;DR is - CT will add a "Amount Key" for viewing amounts being sent in transactions.

So you would have a view key, spend key, amount key.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Harpua

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Spastic dead-eyed hound.

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 08:36:33 AM

The TL;DR is - CT will add a "Amount Key" for viewing amounts being sent in transactions.

But realistically, if you wanted to make a purchase from someone, you would have to provide the retailer the view/amount key right? Or atleast the amount key so he knows he's getting paid in full for his product or service right?
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 09:15:11 AM

But realistically, if you wanted to make a purchase from someone, you would have to provide the retailer the view/amount key right? Or atleast the amount key so he knows he's getting paid in full for his product or service right?

Right the receiver would need to be able to see the amount sent to them.

In theory that is what I believe makes sense.

I'm on page 6 of CT for Monero and I'm lost... anyone care to explain what is going on in detail on page 6. It is a proof but damn it is super wordy and lots of symbols being thrown left and right.  Smiley

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 09:47:03 AM

I tried to read that paper and it was above above my head. 

I had a vague grasp of the first couple of pages where he discusses running points on the Cryptonote elliptic curve through a new special function.... then he goes in summations of transactions and I got lost.  I understood the tl;dr as making Monero privacy better than ever by way of mixing transactions with hidden amounts, but the details are beyond my education. 

I'm also following a little of what you guys are saying about the 'amount' key.  Would this also allow people to show individual transactions vs. the history of an entire address?

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 09:48:40 AM
Last edit: October 13, 2015, 10:02:47 AM by papa_lazzarou

So far we had:

Don't forget stealth addresses for each output -> Hide the receiver.

So SA+RS+CT = Hidden Sender, Hidden Amount and Hidden Receiver.

Edit: Looks like its even more than that. As the author (ShenNoether) put it:

Amounts would now be hidden so your set of potential ring partners is much larger.

and

... it will mean hidden amounts, origins, and destinations, while viewkeys will still work, and of course it will still be auditable.
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 09:54:34 AM

So far we had:

The author says its a work in progress. So not ready for prime time yet.

Edit: Also, I believe stuff like this has to pass a lot of scrutiny before it is implemented. This is not your regular lets-add-it-and-then-we-will-see-if-it-works snake oil stuff. Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 [486] 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: