Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:29:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 [495] 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312396 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
boolberry

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 12:08:41 AM

Also, how likely/possible is this to implement into a Monero release?  Would it require a hardfork? (which isn't a problem since those are scheduled anyways)  

Something like this would certainly require a hard fork to be implemented in a reasonable manner (if at all).

Does your (if at all) comment refer to your view on the difficulty level in adding it or whether there will be a consensus that it is desired?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 12:40:28 AM

My assessment, anonymint is a bat-shit brilliant guy, and if he was inside the XMR tent pissing out (on other coins) I'm speculating it would be very bullish for monero, and probably good for anonymint's health too - win:win!

Well, with XMR this low, he can buy a nice chunk, try to help an OPEN source project by publishing his instead and profit.
He would be able to buy his coins way below the average buy in price of most community members...

even willing to throw some XMR his way if he joins the XMR dev team or MRL team.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 12:41:40 AM

Also, how likely/possible is this to implement into a Monero release?  Would it require a hardfork? (which isn't a problem since those are scheduled anyways)  

Something like this would certainly require a hard fork to be implemented in a reasonable manner (if at all).

Does your (if at all) comment refer to your view on the difficulty level in adding it or whether there will be a consensus that it is desired?

It probably needs a lot of testing and peer review first, hence his comment. If something is somewhat broken it can't be implemented.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 12:43:10 AM

Before I could even begin to form a proper opinion on this, I'd need to do some more reading, and be assured this doesn't open up Monero to the same weaknesses as zerocash (an opaque blockchain that we can't verify hasn't been tampered with via an exploit)  

I also think it would need to be vetted in a testnet environment.  

But if it's all possible and true, then we should eventually add it.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 01:19:33 AM
Last edit: October 17, 2015, 01:44:49 AM by ArticMine

This runs as well on iOS - but so far the Apple appstore disallowed crpytocurrency apps that aren´t Bitcoin; at least they did when i tried the last time.

And yet Fart Click III - The Clickening is just fine.  

But I agree that if Apple is very capable of squandering their lead in the smartphone field, but don't underestimate the droves that know iPhone and like iPhone - they are the same who think Android is synonymous with those awful Samsung Galaxy phones (I default to this camp fairly often, sorry).  

Network effect is real and powerful, and as always: Most people don't want freedom and choice; they want status, comfort, and shiny things.

The fleece the iSheep say no to DRM investment model (cost averaging).

1) Price out an iPad
2) Purchase every month the price of an iPad worth of XMR
3) Repeat until Apple gives the iSheep permission to hold XMR
4) When Apple gives the iSheep permission to hold XMR sell to meet the iSheep demand

This strategy worked very well for me with Bitcoin starting in 2012 when I was literally bought an iPad worth of Bitcoin a month. Now a similar strategy can work with Monero for the same reason.

Edit: In the meantime enjoy a rooted and unlocked Android phone and / or tablet.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 02:02:13 AM

Sorry that was terribly unclear. I was referring to the possibility of implementing it without a hard fork using some of the extremely convoluted soft fork mechanisms that have been proposed for adding things to Bitcoin without a hard fork. That's not really important or useful since we plan hard forks in Monero anyway.

phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 04:16:14 AM

So how about this bull rush for both bitcoin and monero, and the fact that everybody else is tanking it pretty hard?? From what my ticker says on my phone, Monero's up a solid 8% ... nicely done. Any particular reason why xmr isn't tanking it down the tubes along with it's other cryptonote siblings?
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 04:31:11 AM

So how about this bull rush for both bitcoin and monero, and the fact that everybody else is tanking it pretty hard?? From what my ticker says on my phone, Monero's up a solid 8% ... nicely done. Any particular reason why xmr isn't tanking it down the tubes along with it's other cryptonote siblings?

uhhhhhhhhhh because Monero is awesome? I would guess its because, of all the cryptonotes, Monero's the only one really being developed. In order of developmentness, it probably goes XMR > AEON > BBR > others.

unfortunately, it could also be for stupider reasons, like the fact that monero has good liquidity on poloniex, so market players can extract profits by throwing their weights around. But whattaya gonna do. Its the wild west up in here.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 04:39:20 AM

Heh, I love watching Monero outperform Bitcoin, especially as all other significant alts are crashing.  Investment thesis = validated.   Cool

The new 'confidential transactions for ring signatures' paper can't be hurting us.

But the larger issue is Monero being too far into oversold territory just as Bitcoin's rally really caught fire.  The across-the-board volume a good BTC spike can bring makes being short anything (besides fiat) a dubious proposition.

Too bad for whoever was shorting Monero!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 04:41:28 AM

uhhhhhhhhhh because Monero is awesome? I would guess its because, of all the cryptonotes, Monero's the only one really being developed. In order of developmentness, it probably goes XMR > AEON > BBR > others.

unfortunately, it could also be for stupider reasons, like the fact that monero has good liquidity on poloniex, so market players can extract profits by throwing their weights around. But whattaya gonna do. Its the wild west up in here.

Haha, I just instantly got the cover to the song "Wild Wild West" that South Park did in it's old seasons for some reasons... Any who, I've been reading on the BBR speculation thread and they talk about "Supernet" being some thing that can potentially really help them out in the long run... I don't know if I've just been ignorant of this for some time, but what the hell is this, and why does it help out BBR and not XMR at the same time?

GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 04:46:49 AM

Haha, I just instantly got the cover to the song "Wild Wild West" that South Park did in it's old seasons for some reasons... Any who, I've been reading on the BBR speculation thread and they talk about "Supernet" being some thing that can potentially really help them out in the long run... I don't know if I've just been ignorant of this for some time, but what the hell is this, and why does it help out BBR and not XMR at the same time?

ugh supernet. I didn't know BBR was tied up in them. The way i understand it its like a conglomeration of a bunch of altcoins. The ideals are cool - "hey lets all work together!" so they're all sharing resources and making their chains interoperable (maybe... thats how I thought it should work, but I have no idea)... from my cursory investigation, it looked to have all the makings of a camel.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
chennan
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 04:53:20 AM

-snip-
 I've been reading on the BBR speculation thread and they talk about "Supernet" being some thing that can potentially really help them out in the long run... I don't know if I've just been ignorant of this for some time, but what the hell is this, and why does it help out BBR and not XMR at the same time?

ugh supernet. I didn't know BBR was tied up in them. The way i understand it its like a conglomeration of a bunch of altcoins. The ideals are cool - "hey lets all work together!" so they're all sharing resources and making their chains interoperable (maybe... thats how I thought it should work, but I have no idea)... from my cursory investigation, it looked to have all the makings of a camel.

Ew.. that just sounds like a messy cluster f**k of PoW coins doing, well, the work; while PoS coins just sit back and collect profit.  That doesn't sound like the right way to go at all, and I would assume people would get tired of that very quickly.

GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 04:55:46 AM

-snip-
 I've been reading on the BBR speculation thread and they talk about "Supernet" being some thing that can potentially really help them out in the long run... I don't know if I've just been ignorant of this for some time, but what the hell is this, and why does it help out BBR and not XMR at the same time?

Ew.. that just sounds like a messy cluster f**k of PoW coins doing, well, the work; while PoS coins just sit back and collect profit.  That doesn't sound like the right way to go at all, and I would assume people would get tired of that very quickly.

Like I said, my research was cursory. I'd suggest digging into it yourself.... don't take my word on anything. I log on here when I'm half braindead or focusing on 10 other things, so.....

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 05:00:11 AM

XMRpromotions

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 05:02:38 AM

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
chennan
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 05:07:30 AM

WOOOOO! HAPPY 10000 EVERYONE! Sorry I took this much desired spot from avid monero supporters... I didn't really expect to get it, but well... I just want to say that I'm really happy to have been introduced here.  Actually it was someone's signature that caught my eye one time, and now I frequent here more than any other thread.

americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 05:14:20 AM

WOOOOO! HAPPY 10000 EVERYONE! Sorry I took this much desired spot from avid monero supporters... I didn't really expect to get it, but well... I just want to say that I'm really happy to have been introduced here.  Actually it was someone's signature that caught my eye one time, and now I frequent here more than any other thread.

Hmmmm, so if I post here and then delete an old post will I steal the spot from you?Huh   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  

Let's find out.  Wink  

Monero to $10,000 USD EACH by 2020!  

edit: oh god it worked; I feel awful.   Roll Eyes   Let it be known that chennan had the real post 10,000

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 05:15:38 AM

WOOOOO! HAPPY 10000 EVERYONE! Sorry I took this much desired spot from avid monero supporters... I didn't really expect to get it, but well... I just want to say that I'm really happy to have been introduced here.  Actually it was someone's signature that caught my eye one time, and now I frequent here more than any other thread.

Glad it was new comer. It's a good sign.  Grin

*EDIT* Really AP? You couldn't let the new guy enjoy the spotlight?

XMRpromotions

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 05:19:13 AM

WOOOOO! HAPPY 10000 EVERYONE! Sorry I took this much desired spot from avid monero supporters... I didn't really expect to get it, but well... I just want to say that I'm really happy to have been introduced here.  Actually it was someone's signature that caught my eye one time, and now I frequent here more than any other thread.

You earned a Tweet in recognition of your post. We are glad you found the Monero community. Lets continue to help the world discover the best method of protecting their financial privacy, one person at a time.

https://twitter.com/XMRpromotions/status/655251059691028480

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 05:19:34 AM

Feel free to post an XMR address for a small prize.  Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 [495] 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: