Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:52:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 [478] 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312396 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 03:21:10 AM

That video is wicked cool! Wow. Had to share it on Facebook.

The vid is also good in showing to others that monero development is ongoing, its far from dead, many ppl help, and is constantly evolving.
The Monero bears and shorts will get to play until 0,9 is out. After that all bets are off.

Wht do you mean. Beta of 0.9 for windows is available for a while. What would change for bears and shorts if 0.9 becomes stable?

He probably means tagged and released binaries after beta ends.  There are many Monero projects going on right now that being short seems very dangerous. There seems to far more to lose from shorting than to be gained right now.

CryptoKingdom registration being opened up again after the Ultima release will probably open some doors for Monero also. I've already got two guys from work signed up and they just heard me talking about it and asked how to sign-up. Apparently the investment/play aspect of the game appeals without any selling.

Is there a new schedule?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 04:15:36 AM

The vid is also good in showing to others that monero development is ongoing, its far from dead, many ppl help, and is constantly evolving.
The Monero bears and shorts will get to play until 0,9 is out. After that all bets are off.

Wht do you mean. Beta of 0.9 for windows is available for a while. What would change for bears and shorts if 0.9 becomes stable?

He probably means tagged and released binaries after beta ends.  There are many Monero projects going on right now that being short seems very dangerous. There seems to far more to lose from shorting than to be gained right now.

CryptoKingdom registration being opened up again after the Ultima release will probably open some doors for Monero also. I've already got two guys from work signed up and they just heard me talking about it and asked how to sign-up. Apparently the investment/play aspect of the game appeals without any selling.

Is there a new schedule?

until they get all the bugs etc. out.

The development of the game was really started only about 70 days ago, so it is very limited with features and even they are buggy at present.

The Town Council just made a decision to designate the current environment in cryptokingdom.me TEST. This means that the changes in item balances, including money, will be erased and data in this table rolled back to the situation right after migration (it is essentially the same as still shown in GoogleDB /F_OWN, but changing that will nevertheless no more change the balance as it is a separate source).

Despite the designation, data in all other tables will be kept (unless bugs entice us to make the same decision as above).

So feel free to play around and become owner of the luxurious things you would not otherwise be! Smiley

New players will be let in once these issues are fixed + a few days, so very possibly next week.

In the beginning, there is very little to do for new players, but having them (/ you!) enables us to develop content for new players also.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 06:22:09 AM

I mean tagged and official for download from https://getmonero.org/downloads/. What changes for the bears and shorts is that the development work that has been going on for well over 9 months is released officially.  It also means that the process for the necessary hard fork is started.

Edit: A bear can download say the 64bit Windows version from https://getmonero.org/downloads/ and feel comfortable with a short since the binary has a last modified date of 08 December 2014. It also requires over 8 GB of RAM and will fail on the Home Basic versions of Windows Vista and 7.   

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 06:25:58 AM
Last edit: October 08, 2015, 06:53:22 AM by smooth

I mean tagged and official for download from https://getmonero.org/downloads/. What changes for the bears and shorts is that the development work that has been going on for well over 9 months is released officially.  It also means that the process for the necessary hard fork is started.

I'd add that many people are routinely confused about the state of the code. It is easy for us who are basically all insiders here to say that we know all about 0.9, we've tried the Windows beta and github source, etc. But with some frequency people download the 10-month old binaries, and report various problems with them only to be told to try one of the newer ones. It can't be known how many people evaluating it never ask for help and just give up after seeing the state of that old release (or do ask, are given that advice, but decide it is too much trouble and give up), but it is logical to assume that a large fraction do.
DonYo

Activity: 432
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 06:26:46 AM

I have 0.9 for a while and for me it runs smooth and I'm happy with, I did download it from a reddit link, but you can't promote a release that is not published anywhere, 0.9 actualy is a on ¿alfa? and website only links to the beta 0.8.8.6 https://getmonero.org/downloads/

The sad true is that downloadable binaries are too much old and the "download source-code and compile" is not an option for me

If I had an old PC and the software wouldn't run on it I wouldn't get my wallet and actually I'd have 0 Mooneros

I know that there is a web wallet but I don't like web services for storing money, the same way as I have a paypal account but 0 €$ on it until I really need that service

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
elrippo
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 06:58:52 AM

I have 0.9 for a while and for me it runs smooth and I'm happy with, I did download it from a reddit link, but you can't promote a release that is not published anywhere, 0.9 actualy is a on ¿alfa? and website only links to the beta 0.8.8.6 https://getmonero.org/downloads/

The sad true is that downloadable binaries are too much old and the "download source-code and compile" is not an option for me

If I had an old PC and the software wouldn't run on it I wouldn't get my wallet and actually I'd have 0 Mooneros

I know that there is a web wallet but I don't like web services for storing money, the same way as I have a paypal account but 0 €$ on it until I really need that service

I agree with you, it would be nice to have an official download link for the beta and alpha releases on all supported platforms. I like github and i am not afraid of compiling, but honestly i would like to use the "official" binaries favored instead  Roll Eyes

For Advertisement. PM me to discuss.
owm123

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 08:08:23 AM

I agree with you, it would be nice to have an official download link for the beta and alpha releases on all supported platforms. I like github and i am not afraid of compiling, but honestly i would like to use the "official" binaries favored instead  Roll Eyes

This is good idea to have betas and the monero wesbite. Now when ppl go there, they just see 1 year old binaries, suggesting that nothing has been done since then. betas would show that the development is ongoing, and allow more ppl to test beta releases.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
elrippo
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 08:41:42 AM

This is good idea to have betas and the monero wesbite. Now when ppl go there, they just see 1 year old binaries, suggesting that nothing has been done since then. betas would show that the development is ongoing, and allow more ppl to test beta releases.

@DEVS: I would propose to implement a versioncheck function into the bitmonerod client, which will check if it is running on the newest stable binaries available (sort of packagemanager function like Debian and it´s derivates do). I am not talking about an automatic updater, but it should implement a function, where the user can choose to update the binaries by typing "y" in the console and later clicking on "yes" in the GUI.

For Advertisement. PM me to discuss.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 10:52:38 AM

I think we're all forgetting that the monero website is editable via git. Well, pending merging a pull request by fluffypony. I'll send the pull request.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
XMRpromotions

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 01:42:23 PM

I think we're all forgetting that the monero website is editable via git. Well, pending merging a pull request by fluffypony. I'll send the pull request.

Good reminder that anyone can make a pull request. 0.9 seems stable so I hope the request can be merged.

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 01:53:01 PM

I mean tagged and official for download from https://getmonero.org/downloads/. What changes for the bears and shorts is that the development work that has been going on for well over 9 months is released officially.  It also means that the process for the necessary hard fork is started.

I'd add that many people are routinely confused about the state of the code. It is easy for us who are basically all insiders here to say that we know all about 0.9, we've tried the Windows beta and github source, etc. But with some frequency people download the 10-month old binaries, and report various problems with them only to be told to try one of the newer ones. It can't be known how many people evaluating it never ask for help and just give up after seeing the state of that old release (or do ask, are given that advice, but decide it is too much trouble and give up), but it is logical to assume that a large fraction do.

So smooth, what's holding up releasing new binaries? Is there some crucial feature that remains to be implemented? Who makes the call as to when the code is ready?
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 02:00:13 PM

So smooth, what's holding up releasing new binaries? Is there some crucial feature that remains to be implemented? Who makes the call as to when the code is ready?

There are definitely parts of the upcoming fork that are not ready and need to be in binaries otherwise people running the "new' binaries may fork the network. There may also be a few outstanding bugs and build issues, but I'm not sure about that, as a bunch of those have been resolved in the past week or two, so that may be getting close to ready now.

The core team ultimately makes the call but I don't think any of us (nor any of the other developers working on it) believe it is ready yet so there isn't a close call to be made.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 04:27:28 PM

I speculate that the price of monero will increase when less people are using Claymore's AMD miner because Claymore won't have a continuous supply of XMR to dump at any price.

Less people will use Claymore's miner when Wolf0 finishes his open source AMD miner.

https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/2400/open-source-amd-miner-by-wolf0

Only ~12% to go! I know someone that follows this thread has ~750 xmr to throw at this!

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 05:11:12 PM

There are definitely parts of the upcoming fork that are not ready and need to be in binaries otherwise people running the "new' binaries may fork the network. There may also be a few outstanding bugs and build issues, but I'm not sure about that, as a bunch of those have been resolved in the past week or two, so that may be getting close to ready now.

The core team ultimately makes the call but I don't think any of us (nor any of the other developers working on it) believe it is ready yet so there isn't a close call to be made.

Thank you smooth.  I will continue to be a root vegetable.  It is much easier that way.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 05:23:09 PM
Last edit: October 08, 2015, 06:08:08 PM by aminorex

I am out of wheat for a while, modestly benefiting, and planning to go long again on opportunity; I am steady holding long (with expected time frame in parens) on XMR (years), SPX (3 days), GBP (3 days), GLD (4 days).  The XAUXAG long is working well enough to justify buying the dip a bit later today (2-20 days).  I may short indices of indebted western European countries tomorrow, or Monday.  I may short US financials next week.  I could imagine (but probably wont execute) a short XBT on signs of DXY strength, but probably not until next Thursday.  A propos of XMR, that implies an expectation of weak downdraft on XMRXBT for another week, followed by an upturn of non-negligible duration and strength.  I tentatively plan to pick some up late next week at some point, but not large enough to make a level-resetting impact, so there's no point front-running me.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
BitmoreCoin

Activity: 406

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 05:33:48 PM

I speculate that the price of monero will increase when less people are using Claymore's AMD miner because Claymore won't have a continuous supply of XMR to dump at any price.

Less people will use Claymore's miner when Wolf0 finishes his open source AMD miner.

https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/2400/open-source-amd-miner-by-wolf0

Only ~12% to go! I know someone that follows this thread has ~750 xmr to throw at this!

Is Wolf's miner faster than Claymore's?
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 05:51:06 PM

It is Free / Libre Software as opposed to propriety software. This is important for the security of the blockchain. It is also now at 100% funding.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 06:16:11 PM

It is Free / Libre Software as opposed to propriety software. This is important for the security of the blockchain. It is also now at 100% funding.

For sure I want to see free software available for mining rather than one proprietary miner controlling a huge swath of the network. However, if it isn't at least close to performance parity if not better, then a lot of people won't use it. So let's hope he is able to achieve that.
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 06:20:55 PM

Well then do the math for those guys about the Dev-Fee and what their real Output would be.... its 5% if i remember correctly...
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 07:18:03 PM

For sure I want to see free software available for mining rather than one proprietary miner controlling a huge swath of the network. However, if it isn't at least close to performance parity if not better, then a lot of people won't use it. So let's hope he is able to achieve that.

Still plenty of things to consider. My main concern would've been the electricity costs vs profitability. More miners mean more coins, thus higher difficulty. Bye bye CPU miners. I'd guess the distribution will actually remain the same; the only difference would be that one single individual will have to decide either if he sells now or hold for later. I'm not sure this is bullish, but I'd say it's not bearish either. OTOH, options are always better than a single choice.

We'll see.

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
Pages: « 1 ... 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 [478] 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: