Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:30:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 [442] 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312476 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Bassica

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 10:05:46 AM

My take is that the price of Monero will be driven by the long term fundamentals rather than by traders who buy and sell, at a profit or loss, on a 10% spread.

The first indicator will be the market response to the updated official tagged binaries when they come out.

Weird if it happened the same week CK is officially released. What is the estimate on the binaries?

The timetable is here: https://forum.getmonero.org/4/academic-and-technical/303/a-formal-approach-towards-better-hard-fork-management

We'll have to wait a little longer though:
http://fpaste.org/268812/44257030/

"10:13 <@fluffypony> no, we're currently in review-hardfork-code-so-we-dont-break-everything-mode"
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 11:27:50 AM

My take is that the price of Monero will be driven by the long term fundamentals rather than by traders who buy and sell, at a profit or loss, on a 10% spread.

The first indicator will be the market response to the updated official tagged binaries when they come out.

Weird if it happened the same week CK is officially released. What is the estimate on the binaries?

The timetable is here: https://forum.getmonero.org/4/academic-and-technical/303/a-formal-approach-towards-better-hard-fork-management

"10:13 <@fluffypony> no, we're currently in review-hardfork-code-so-we-dont-break-everything-mode"

I'm still not clear on this.

So the hardfork code is not quite ready.  Does it need to be ready for the new binaries to be released?

Please see below Smiley
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 03:35:16 PM

I'm still not clear on this.

So the hardfork code is not quite ready.  Does it need to be ready for the new binaries to be released?

Please see below Smiley

Yes it has to be ready before the new binaries will be released. It is ready though, it only needs to be reviewed (which I think MoneroMooo is doing). My guess is that it won't take that long, but you never know! Soon™

Furthermore, read the last line -> < moneromooo> I've not looked at this since last weekend though. I have minor extra changes, and I guess I will PR that tomorrow. :-)

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 04:20:21 PM

MoneroDice bankroll currently at ~296k. I bet we'll be over 1 million by the end of the year :-P

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
kazuki49

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 06:37:29 PM

MoneroDice bankroll currently at ~296k. I bet we'll be over 1 million by the end of the year :-P

this is what happens when someone reputable builds a good service you can invest, just wait until CK is out and the masses have binaries with the new code.
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 3199

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 07:48:37 PM

Is that the XMR balance of all users of MoneroDice combined? That would be impressive!
And are you refering to the balance in the 'Maximum win' box (29964.936004348564)? I read this balance as 29thousand 9hundred sixtyfour and a few cents (after the dot).

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 07:51:25 PM

Is that the XMR balance of all users of MoneroDice combined? That would be impressive!
And are you refering to the balance in the 'Maximum win' box (29964.936004348564)? I would read this balance currently as 29thousand 9hundred sixtyfour and a few cents (after the dot).

Yes, it's the aggregate of all people that invested (thus playing bankroll). The maximum win is 10% of the total bankroll, so simply multiply that with 10 and you get the total bankroll. In addition, maximum win is denominated in XMR.

luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 07:57:43 PM

And are you refering to the balance in the 'Maximum win' box (29964.936004348564)? I would read this balance currently as 29thousand 9hundred sixtyfour and a few cents (after the dot).

Yes, it's the aggregate of all people that invested (thus playing bankroll). The maximum win is 10% of the total bankroll, so simply multiply that with 10 and you get the total bankroll. In addition, maximum win is denominated in XMR.

"Is that the XMR balance of all users of MoneroDice combined?" No, it's just the investors' funds. No one except the owners knows how much is on hand total.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2015, 08:15:58 PM

I wonder how the MoneroDice bankroll compares with Dash (mal)invested in MasterNodes, in absolute fiat terms and relative % of the coins.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
hodlmybtc

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2015, 08:22:18 PM

I wonder how the MoneroDice bankroll compares with Dash (mal)invested in MasterNodes, in absolute fiat terms and relative % of the coins.

Last time I read something about the # of masternodes the number was above 3000, this is 3 million coins, total supply is less than 6 million.

So more than 50% of the supply is locked up in masternodes.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 08:47:13 PM

Meanwhile, CK still at ~105k. I give my heartfelt congrats to Riccardo for beating our nearly-one-year effort in a week!  Cool

Well got almost final green light for a new significant injection to CK by an external investor, so expect things happening there as well...

It's so best to be in Monero which actually has things happening!!

BTW. sorry slight off-topic - BTS was also mentioned in our shareholders' meeting to be a promising coin. I have not checked. Can some of the proponents give me an investment-oriented summary, the potential investment is about $50k.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 08:51:36 PM

BTW. sorry slight off-topic - BTS was also mentioned in our shareholders' meeting to be a promising coin. I have not checked. Can some of the proponents give me an investment-oriented summary, the potential investment is about $50k.

http://prestonbyrne.com/2014/08/17/dont-walk-away-run/

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 09:29:56 PM

Thanks. That was quite old piece, but really informative and funny.

BTS actually resemble CK in some respects, except that CK did not dare to create itself to existence completely from nothing - as BTSX did. We have the now 105k XMR and 100 BTC, which are representing "outside value" in the system, and also the system itself is not prone to succumb to "cascading market calls" or even "cascading withdrawals". If the holders of that 105k XMR would collectively decide to withdraw, they could completely do it, since it is 100% deposited in the XMR blockchain (just like any honest exchange like Bitstamp or Poloniex would treat their client balances). The market value of many of the items in the game would be trashed in the process for sure (a COL at 425 XMR would not catch a buyer), but the more speculative things are financed by equity anyway, and if foreclosures happened, the assets would be repossessed with the lender footing the losses from his equity.

The way BTS/X was presented, was that it works perfectly as long as we assume that an imaginary asset is capable to be the ultimate extinguisher of debt (similarity to SuperNet as well). The high and powerful banksters in the world have tried to make an imaginary asset - called fiat money - to be the ultimate extinguisher of debt, with such a dismal record that it is a product of ignorance of monetary history to attempt the same as completely a desktop exercise with no value being produced in the process (as CK for instance is producing - great fun that catches players).

But since it is evident that you are not a proponent, I'd like to see a marketing speech linked by someone else as well!  Wink

Nevertheless, have a 12*W1603A as a sign of gratitude for the link! (recorded)

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 09:35:03 PM
Last edit: September 19, 2015, 06:36:01 AM by ArticMine

It comes down to backing 100 USD worth of BitUSD with 200 USD worth of Bitshares. If the market price of Bitshares falls by more than 50% in terms of USD then the 100 BitUSD are no longer worth 100 USD and the peg breaks down. One can do the same thing with gold, or even another cryptocurrecny such as XMR.

Edit: XMR is a better example than USD as to how Bitshares can fail, since XMR could all of a sudden rise very sharply in purchasing power on its own accord. A sudden sharp rise in purchasing power of XMR is not going to cause CK items to fall sharply in value, rather the exact opposite is more likely.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 11:05:14 PM

Nevertheless, have a 12*W1603A as a sign of gratitude for the link! (recorded)

Thank you!!  Smiley

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
owm123

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 04:12:33 AM

Last time I read something about the # of masternodes the number was above 3000, this is 3 million coins, total supply is less than 6 million.

I don't understand what coins locked in dash masternodes have to do with coins used in monero dice? Why would you like compare the two with each other?

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 06:27:17 AM

I don't understand what coins locked in dash masternodes have to do with coins used in monero dice? Why would you like compare the two with each other?

... because the coins in both cases are for a period of time taken off the market. Dash masternodes account for 3.2 million DASH or about 53% of the Dash money supply. The Monerodice bankroll above is about 300,000 XMR or about 3.2% of the Monero money supply. This is a big difference.

Shocked  Shocked

At this rate my prediction of 3500 masternodes at the end of this year seems to be on the low side..

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
owm123

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 09:34:26 AM

... because the coins in both cases are for a period of time taken off the market. Dash masternodes account for 3.2 million DASH or about 53% of the Dash money supply. The Monerodice bankroll above is about 300,000 XMR or about 3.2% of the Monero money supply. This is a big difference.

Shocked  Shocked

At this rate my prediction of 3500 masternodes at the end of this year seems to be on the low side..

Sorry, I still dont understand. The comparison does not make any sense for me. Why compare monerodice with masternodes? You should be comparing monerodice, a gambling site, with corresponding gambling sites in dash.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 09:57:27 AM
Last edit: September 19, 2015, 10:20:12 AM by smooth

Sorry, I still dont understand. The comparison does not make any sense for me. Why compare monerodice with masternodes? You should be comparing monerodice, a gambling site, with corresponding gambling sites in dash.

I'll let others speak for their own comparisons, but in my view the particular mechanism doesn't matter much. What matters is having in-coin investment opportunities. Those opportunities include masternodes, gambling sites with investable bankrolls (and other investable games), exchange lending markets, p2p lending, venture investment and other securities, and cold storage (the latter having zero coin-relative return but also zero risks or operating costs). All of these opportunities have to compete with each other to attract investment, so market forces should equalize their risk-adjusted returns.

What is significant about monerodice (and Crypto Kingdom if it can ever really get off the ground) is that Monero hasn't up to this point had much in the way of in-coin investment opportunities. So this broadens the market significantly.

Masternodes may someday be more of a service business where fees for services provided make up a significant portion of the income, but at the moment they are really just an investment.
Minotaur26
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 02:39:18 PM

I'll let others speak for their own comparisons, but in my view the particular mechanism doesn't matter much. What matters is having in-coin investment opportunities. Those opportunities include masternodes, gambling sites with investable bankrolls (and other investable games), exchange lending markets, p2p lending, venture investment and other securities, and cold storage (the latter having zero coin-relative return but also zero risks or operating costs). All of these opportunities have to compete with each other to attract investment, so market forces should equalize their risk-adjusted returns.

What is significant about monerodice (and Crypto Kingdom if it can ever really get off the ground) is that Monero hasn't up to this point had much in the way of in-coin investment opportunities. So this broadens the market significantly.

Masternodes may someday be more of a service business where fees for services provided make up a significant portion of the income, but at the moment they are really just an investment.

Right on, Smooth,  is great for people to have options to invest, like monerodice and CK, I find CK  most interesting as I think is also a social experiment of sorts.  The one difference with masternodes though is with masternodes people keep their private keys in cold storage under their control, so is a form of trust-less investment, I don't think it would have scaled up so quickly otherwise.
Pages: « 1 ... 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 [442] 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: