Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:30:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 139 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux mining distro for the Raspberry PI - MinePeon  (Read 684872 times)
MineForeman.com (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 06:00:21 PM

For when a new version? Smiley

Going to try again for this weekend.  I am still having problems getting cgminer to run stable (to be fair, it is not cgminer's fault, it is the USB sub systems that cgminer uses in the raspberry pi's kernel that causes a kernel oops.  Bfgminer is not affected but it does not have a fury driver so that does not help us).

I might get a PR (pre release) version out running bfgminer only though this weekend regardless though so people can start to test the fixes etc... that comes with the new build/ports system.

Neil

Bitcoin News http://mineforeman.com/ || MinePeon - Bitcoin mining on the Raspberry PI http://mineforeman.com/minepeon/ || MinePeon Wiki http://minepeon.com/ || MinePeon Forums http://minepeon.com/forums/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MineForeman.com (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 06:08:30 PM

How difficult would it be to set it up to optionally write to a USB drive volume, if one was found? (I know this sounds like a feature request, but it isn't. I promise. I was just thinking out loud...)

Yikes!  It is possable... even better though, if Minepeon ran on a BeagleBone Black it could use the eMMC onboard (same stuff as in SSD drives) we would avoid the problem altogether!

Neil

P.S. I have a test rig running minepeon on the BeagleBone Black right now

Bitcoin News http://mineforeman.com/ || MinePeon - Bitcoin mining on the Raspberry PI http://mineforeman.com/minepeon/ || MinePeon Wiki http://minepeon.com/ || MinePeon Forums http://minepeon.com/forums/
bmoconno

Activity: 280
Merit: 261

New In Town...

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 02:53:10 AM

Howdy,

I'm currently running MinePeon 0.2.3 unmodified with cgminer 3.3.4, and I keep getting an error along the lines of "AMU #: TIMEOUT GetResults took a-huge-number ms but was 100ms".  As a result of this, the "Average Hashrate" drops significantly and the WU (Work Utility) goes immediately to "0.0/m".  As you can see in this screenshot:

It's important to note that the devices continue to run at their ~333Mh/s and I'm receiving exactly the amount of BTC I should expect from 4.5Gh/s, the only real problem is that I can't make much use out of the statistics and other information available to me via the WebUI since these reported numbers are incorrect.

My current setup consists of 14 ASCIMiners USB Erupters on 2 Rosewill RHB-500 powered hubs (5v 4a each), 7 Erupters plugged into each RHB-500.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

If I've helped you out, or you just think I'm awesome… 13SZex4uANVrfTeeuFEXGu6W8EVYtWVB53
tk1337

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 06:49:30 AM

Howdy,

I'm currently running MinePeon 0.2.3 unmodified with cgminer 3.3.4, and I keep getting an error along the lines of "AMU #: TIMEOUT GetResults took a-huge-number ms but was 100ms".  As a result of this, the "Average Hashrate" drops significantly and the WU (Work Utility) goes immediately to "0.0/m".  As you can see in this screenshot:

It's important to note that the devices continue to run at their ~333Mh/s and I'm receiving exactly the amount of BTC I should expect from 4.5Gh/s, the only real problem is that I can't make much use out of the statistics and other information available to me via the WebUI since these reported numbers are incorrect.

My current setup consists of 14 ASCIMiners USB Erupters on 2 Rosewill RHB-500 powered hubs (5v 4a each), 7 Erupters plugged into each RHB-500.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

On your screen shot, look upper right side, the date is 1970, that would be your problem. Scan pages 70-76 on this thread for the fixes or go to the minepeon forums (there are few more options there), but essentially, the lack of a Real Time Clock (RTC) on the rPi will cause stats to get screwy especially when the miner (which should start after a NTP update) starts before the time gets updated on the system, then it thinks it starts at 1970 to the current date and well, calculations are all thrown off.
easynote

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 07:21:36 AM

For when a new version? Smiley

Going to try again for this weekend.  I am still having problems getting cgminer to run stable (to be fair, it is not cgminer's fault, it is the USB sub systems that cgminer uses in the raspberry pi's kernel that causes a kernel oops.  Bfgminer is not affected but it does not have a fury driver so that does not help us).

I might get a PR (pre release) version out running bfgminer only though this weekend regardless though so people can start to test the fixes etc... that comes with the new build/ports system.

Neil

Thanks for the news Cheesy

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
ct1aic

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Are ฿itcoins Radioactive?

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 08:46:35 AM

Oh no! Not again! cgminer: LATEST-IS-3.5.1

Rui Costa, PortugalBTC : 1ct1aicGoUVpZeovsw3cCcPJZJHV5JXtW
arcticfox

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 05:42:27 PM

was about to try this today and found another problem... my pi was frozen so i restarted it and it says PANIC: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)
Entering kdb (current=0xda82aca0, pid 1) due to keyboard entry

this is what happened before to make me reinstall like 5 days ago... i am going to reinstall again and hope for a fix soon

Forget what it says about the keyboard, that is just the default that was passed to the kernel.

What it most likely means though is that your SD Card is going bad (the unknown-block(179,2) error message makes it plain).

Last time you re-installed did you use a new SD card?  If not I would say the SD card was the problem then too.

Neil

I had the same problem as the poster above yesterday. Got the same error "Entering kdb (current=0xda82aca0, pid 1) due to keyboard entry". I was never able to reboot and I was never able to reinstall the image to the SD card (brand new SanDisk Class 10), so I think the SD is shot. Reinstalled Minepeon on a Lexar Pro card today and just got the same kdb error after a couple of hours. This time I was able to unplug the Raspi and get a reboot and it seems to running OK now.

My Raspi is constantly shutting itself down and rebooting (every 30 min to 1hr), I'm assuming it is not supposed to do this?

I have two Manhattan 2.0 USb hubs attached running 5 Block Erupters each.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing these problems?
bmoconno

Activity: 280
Merit: 261

New In Town...

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 06:30:14 PM

On your screen shot, look upper right side, the date is 1970, that would be your problem. Scan pages 70-76 on this thread for the fixes or go to the minepeon forums (there are few more options there), but essentially, the lack of a Real Time Clock (RTC) on the rPi will cause stats to get screwy especially when the miner (which should start after a NTP update) starts before the time gets updated on the system, then it thinks it starts at 1970 to the current date and well, calculations are all thrown off.

Thanks for the information tk1337!  I've implemented the fixes discussed there, now I just hope everything stays working.  Smiley

If I've helped you out, or you just think I'm awesome… 13SZex4uANVrfTeeuFEXGu6W8EVYtWVB53
jadatkins

Activity: 40

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 07:45:07 PM

As MinePeon can send alert messages, as I see in last "beta" version. I tried that feature, with smtp.gmail.com:465 as SMTP server, but I think it would need also a "password" field, to use gmail as sending address.

Not everyone has a gmail account, everyone has an ISP though, just use their SMTP server.

Resolved this "problem", MinePeon could have the option to send a mail to the gmail address configured @ the E-mail field of "Alert" with all the configuration/stats data.

It really should not be a "problem"  providing your ISP lets you send email.

Apparently I don't have an ISP then.

My ISP, Virgin Media, uses Google Apps to provide email service, and they appear to require SMTP authentication. Here is the information and some more information. My impression is that this is pretty normal, at least in the UK, and has been for about 5 - 10 years.

Having said which, I have tried putting my ISP's SMTP server in the relevant box in MinePeon, and haven't yet bothered unplugging the Butterfly miner to see if it works without a password.
tk1337

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 09:17:18 PM

was about to try this today and found another problem... my pi was frozen so i restarted it and it says PANIC: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)
Entering kdb (current=0xda82aca0, pid 1) due to keyboard entry

this is what happened before to make me reinstall like 5 days ago... i am going to reinstall again and hope for a fix soon

Forget what it says about the keyboard, that is just the default that was passed to the kernel.

What it most likely means though is that your SD Card is going bad (the unknown-block(179,2) error message makes it plain).

Last time you re-installed did you use a new SD card?  If not I would say the SD card was the problem then too.

Neil

I had the same problem as the poster above yesterday. Got the same error "Entering kdb (current=0xda82aca0, pid 1) due to keyboard entry". I was never able to reboot and I was never able to reinstall the image to the SD card (brand new SanDisk Class 10), so I think the SD is shot. Reinstalled Minepeon on a Lexar Pro card today and just got the same kdb error after a couple of hours. This time I was able to unplug the Raspi and get a reboot and it seems to running OK now.

My Raspi is constantly shutting itself down and rebooting (every 30 min to 1hr), I'm assuming it is not supposed to do this?

I have two Manhattan 2.0 USb hubs attached running 5 Block Erupters each.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing these problems?

For the issue about the rPi shutting down, are you powering the rPi off a USB hub or do you have a stand-alone 5v1a source for it?

If you are powering it off of a hub, I would suggest using a stand-alone power source. (Apple USB chargers work great, as they are 5v 1a.)
tk1337

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 09:19:01 PM

Thanks for the information tk1337!  I've implemented the fixes discussed there, now I just hope everything stays working.  Smiley

np  Grin

happy mining!
arcticfox

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:23:07 AM

[/quote]

For the issue about the rPi shutting down, are you powering the rPi off a USB hub or do you have a stand-alone 5v1a source for it?

If you are powering it off of a hub, I would suggest using a stand-alone power source. (Apple USB chargers work great, as they are 5v 1a.)
[/quote]

I'm using a standalone 5v1A powersource.

And this morning the Raspi has rebooted again and this time I'm getting a CGminer failed to load error.
arcticfox

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 05:30:39 AM

I tried with a brand new Raspi and the same SD card and I'm still getting "Failed to start CGMiner". See 'systemctl status cgminer.service' for details.
Bonz

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

Mining history: BTC->LTC->FTC->CRC:2200kh/s

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2013, 06:41:02 AM

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm using a standalone 5v1A powersource.

And this morning the Raspi has rebooted again and this time I'm getting a CGminer failed to load error.
[/quote]

I tried with a brand new Raspi and the same SD card and I'm still getting "Failed to start CGMiner". See 'systemctl status cgminer.service' for details.

do you have it set in the web UI to restart if it has problems with the miners?

also i have found after constantly getting the "cgminer failed to load" that my Brand new SD Card was dead replaced it and she is just humming along now =D

If I've helped you, who knows it could happen =) PLZ donate      BTC - 34CGHYkhKi2eFP5GBhtsNpQdFvrxo7WT1u     LTC - WfGiVRgBTLWzfiEfg69QVReWiDvMuQxxHW
                                                                                              FTC - 9x9DT1QDe9bP5E75gSDnkwbVWmwjevpiAQ     CRC - Q5swva1yTrD3Gh7HijDSiETvk6evpe5apl
arcticfox

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 06:50:05 AM

[/quote]

also i have found after constantly getting the "cgminer failed to load" that my Brand new SD Card was dead replaced it and she is just humming along now =D
[/quote]

Yep, it is set to restart in the Web UI.

Reinstalled minepeon on my Lexar Pro, and it is running as of now. Will see in a couple of hours.
Bonz

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

Mining history: BTC->LTC->FTC->CRC:2200kh/s

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2013, 10:12:46 AM

[/quote]

Yep, it is set to restart in the Web UI.

Reinstalled minepeon on my Lexar Pro, and it is running as of now. Will see in a couple of hours.
[/quote]

having it set to restart like that is actually a good thing cause i is a last ditch to get the miners running

If I've helped you, who knows it could happen =) PLZ donate      BTC - 34CGHYkhKi2eFP5GBhtsNpQdFvrxo7WT1u     LTC - WfGiVRgBTLWzfiEfg69QVReWiDvMuQxxHW
                                                                                              FTC - 9x9DT1QDe9bP5E75gSDnkwbVWmwjevpiAQ     CRC - Q5swva1yTrD3Gh7HijDSiETvk6evpe5apl
MineForeman.com (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2013, 10:22:46 PM

Ok, here we go, I have just uploaded a new MinePeon 0.2.4 RP1 image to MEGA for the brave to test (not on sourceforge, I want proper testers who know that they are testing).

This image is to test two things;-

1.  The new build system.  MinePeon has been rebuilt from the ground up fixing a lot of bugs in the process.

2. Fury device support.  If you have one please tell me if it works or not.

3. Restart Miner, Reboot MinePeon & Shut Down MinePeon from the web UI

Some things that are missing;-

1. AngularJS UI.  Thomas will be making a branch and putting it in place.  (I am too old and dumb to get javascript at the moment Tongue )

2. SMTP Auth.  I need a bit more time to get it right.

Things that are gone;-

1. Auto Recover.  It never worked…. the miners always did a better job.

Things that have changed;-

1. The miner is started from a user minepeon file called /opt/minepeon/etc/init.d/miner-start.sh.  Edit that file to change what miner you are using or to add command line options.  You will be able to edit from the web ui soon but use ssh for now.

2. Donations no longer restart the miner, it just adds the donation pool and removes it afterwards.

3. All logs have been removed apart from the bare essentials to cut down on SD card writes.

4. Bfgminer is the default miner (because I cannot get cgminer working stable).

What I want testers to do;-

1. Test the base system

2. Test email alerts

3. Test cgminer

4. Test donations (it is a new system altogether)

5. Provide feedback at http://minepeon.com/forums/ .

Neil

P.S. I really need you to test donations.  I have started work on several advanced features that donations will have to be paied for (DDOS protection, Remote Control etc…) and I would prefer to make them FREE (i.e. paied for by donations).

P.P.S BTCGuild is under DDOS attack again, they are also in the process of changing their DNS records…. keep that in mind if you have problems with them.

tk1337

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 12:00:47 AM

2. SMTP Auth.  I need a bit more time to get it right.

If you want me to work the SMTP, let me know...
MineForeman.com (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 12:07:17 AM

2. SMTP Auth.  I need a bit more time to get it right.

If you want me to work the SMTP, let me know...

That would be great!

Download the image and set your own git details, /opt/minepeon is connected to the new test repo (https://github.com/MineForeman/minepeon-base branch static).

If you can do that and commit it I can get back to working on cgminer.

Neil

P.S. Now we have this we can move onto mobileminer and pluggings to.  Sorry I have taken so long to git this image out, it seems every time I fixed a but I found a new one Wink .

viriat0

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 12:08:16 AM

Great news!!

Update
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 139 »
  Print  

Jump to: