Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:05:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 [299] 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049421 times)
ultrix

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:28:43 AM

I don't, it's just clear there are people here intent on creating fear, uncertainty and doubt for their own gain.

I couldn't care less what people buy as long as they research it themselves and can afford not to go into debt over it.

The guys working on this are a knowledgeable, fun and competitive bunch. I hope once they have something worth showing they'll make an effort to demonstrate it so you can see the team.

Not trying to create FUD, just stating the complete opposite of your opinion.  I think when promising to deliver something intended for a data center, having external power supplies is both a shortsighted and moronic decision.

Back in the day Cray used to use liquid nitrogen cooling for the X/YMP or whatever it was called.  I have no idea what they do these days.

All YMP and XMP's were air cooled.  The YMP was the first to be offered without a water cooling option.   To the best of my knowledge no Cray system used LN2 for cooling.  Most of their liquid cooled systems used Flourinert.  Prior works of Seymour Cray at Control Data were LN2 cooled.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 12:31:32 AM

Cooling case material and appearance aside.  Here is the real issue.  These were supposed to be professional mining machines.  I have yet to see a 4U machine with an external power supply.  Further, in an average cabinet, where would you put said external power supply and be able to close the door?  Do we just have to eat rackspace and deal with cable management for 3cm bundles per machine?   Seems like a nightmare.  I have to be honest, I've got a fairly sizable order with them and at this point I'm debating asking for a refund and/or selling them.  Their product is starting to look more and more like the cobbled stacks of FPGA boards on stand-offs with fans zip tied to them and USB hubs taped everywhere, not that they're doing this, but it has the design and foresight of.

-1 KnC Miner.

yes PLEASE cancel your order!!!  thanks!!

PS-  I have no clue why Bitcoinarama uses all his time trying to get more people to buy these..   let's all just say these are terrible and will crumble during their first hashing

I don't, it's just clear there are people here intent on creating fear, uncertainty and doubt for their own gain.

I couldn't care less what people buy as long as they research it themselves and can afford not to go into debt over it.

The guys working on this are a knowledgeable, fun and competitive bunch. I hope once they have something worth showing they'll make an effort to demonstrate it so you can see the team.

Marcus doesn't want to go on camera with Sam again though, as Sam is never happy and keeps re-taking, and Marcus just wants it done in one take. This is why Marcus looks so pissed off in their first video, it literally almost came to blows, apparently there were some funny outtakes they may release at somepoint.

It's the total opposite with the tech side though. Sam won't let Marcus be a perfectionist as time is the priority (in this project).

see thats all I wanted - PHOTOS!  lol. I get that things could be changed...but this shows that they are making progress and plan to keep on schedule (are putting their best efforts to do such at least)

eve

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:37:14 AM

Cooling case material and appearance aside.  Here is the real issue.  These were supposed to be professional mining machines.  I have yet to see a 4U machine with an external power supply.  Further, in an average cabinet, where would you put said external power supply and be able to close the door?  Do we just have to eat rackspace and deal with cable management for 3cm bundles per machine?   Seems like a nightmare.  I have to be honest, I've got a fairly sizable order with them and at this point I'm debating asking for a refund and/or selling them.  Their product is starting to look more and more like the cobbled stacks of FPGA boards on stand-offs with fans zip tied to them and USB hubs taped everywhere, not that they're doing this, but it has the design and foresight of.

-1 KnC Miner.

yes PLEASE cancel your order!!!  thanks!!

PS-  I have no clue why Bitcoinarama uses all his time trying to get more people to buy these..   let's all just say these are terrible and will crumble during their first hashing

Marcus doesn't want to go on camera with Sam again though, as Sam is never happy and keeps re-taking, and Marcus just wants it done in one take. This is why Marcus looks so pissed off in their first video, it literally almost came to blows, apparently there were some funny outtakes they may release at somepoint.

It's the total opposite with the tech side though. Sam won't let Marcus be a perfectionist as time is the priority (in this project).

see thats all I wanted - PHOTOS!  lol. I get that things could be changed...but this shows that they are making progress and plan to keep on schedule (are putting their best efforts to do such at least)

Show us the working Asic Chips please.
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:38:42 AM

Not trying to create FUD, just stating the complete opposite of your opinion.  I think when promising to deliver something intended for a data center, having external power supplies is both a shortsighted and moronic decision.

Back in the day Cray used to use liquid nitrogen cooling for the X/YMP or whatever it was called.  I have no idea what they do these days.

All YMP and XMP's were air cooled.  The YMP was the first to be offered without a water cooling option.   To the best of my knowledge no Cray system used LN2 for cooling.  Most of their liquid cooled systems used Flourinert.  Prior works of Seymour Cray at Control Data were LN2 cooled.

You're right.  Apparently it was actually a liquid called Fluoinert, and it was the Cray-2 I was thinking about.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_cooling :

The Cray-1 supercomputer designed in 1976 had a distinctive cooling system. The machine was only 77 inches (2,000 mm) in height and 56 1⁄2 inches (1,440 mm) in diameter, and consumed up to 115 kilowatts; this is comparable to the average power consumption of a few dozen Western homes. The integrated circuits used in the machine were the fastest available at the time, using emitter-coupled logic; however, the speed was accompanied by high power consumption compared to later CMOS devices.

Heat removal was critical. Liquid Freon was circulated through piping embedded in vertical cooling bars in twelve columnar sections of the machine. Each of the 1662 printed circuit modules of the machine had a copper core and was clamped to the cooling bar. The system was designed to maintain the cases of integrated circuits at no more than 54 °C (129 °F), with Freon coolant circulating at 21 °C (70 °F). Final heat rejection was through a Freon to water heat exchanger.[4] Piping, heat exchangers, and pumps for the cooling system were arranged in an upholstered bench seat around the outside of the base of the computer. About 20 per cent of the machine's weight in operation was coolant.

In later Cray-2, with its more densely packed modules, Seymour Cray had trouble effectively cooling the machine using the metal conduction technique with Freon gas so he switched to 'Liquid Immersion' cooling. This method involved filling the chassis of the Cray-2 with a liquid called Fluorinert. Fluorinert, as its name implies, is an inert liquid that does not interfere with the operation of electronic components. As the components came to operating temperature, the heat would dissipate into the Fluorinert, which was pumped out of the machine to a chilled water heat exchange system.[5]

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 12:42:25 AM

If they had working ASICs, they'd be shipping already.  Why would they stockpile working ASICs and do nothing with them? You people need to just calm down.  Or cancel your order if you have one and are too nervious.

At this point though it would probably be a good idea to show "boxes with fans", etc if they want to sell more units between now and when they ship.

Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:51:25 AM

Are there any graphic designers on here?

I reckon they should hold a competition for some badass sticker design, or it's going to be their logo.

You might not like the aesthetic as it is, because it's plain, but someone could work their wizardry on it as if it were a blank canvas. Could become iconic.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 01:36:59 AM

yes please use timewarp to show us glimpse of future hashing..

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
JohnyBigs

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 01:51:53 AM

KNC gets high marks in my book, hope you have a few miners coming to ya..  there's hidden agenda everywhere here..  some of the biggest FUDDERS probably have huge orders with them

Yes that makes so much sense. Lets make everyone refund their orders so they go bankrupt and I never get my 100k worth of miners.  These silly FUDDERS
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:00:46 AM

Yes that makes so much sense. Lets make everyone refund their orders so they go bankrupt and I never get my 100k worth of miners.  These silly FUDDERS

what would Golum do???   he would want the only miners made be his!!  my precious!!!

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
timmmers

Activity: 1176
Merit: 265

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:06:55 AM

-1 KnC Miner.

Nowhere do they say they are professional machines.
Find it, show me. In fact, WTF is a professional machine? The definition taken literally would make all rigs fall into that category since all they do is work for money.
The design graphic showed their basic design, they always said (sensibly) that they were aiming to get these online in our hands ASAP and not doing a BFL and faffing about with pissy details,getting them wrong and making cool looking bricks that will be delivered too late to break even.

I love that case, quick to manufacture, no complicated tooling up, less to go wrong, does it's job, cheap, what more do you need?
External generic power supply, no problems with international safety and electrical standards and no import problems...and no writing CE in felt tip pen on PSUs and getting the whole rig stuck at customs ...again like a certain other company.
Time is of the essence now for them and for us. We all know that surely?

I want a working rig in my hand ASAP, one that will not break. It can be 5 feet square or in the shape of a dalek for all I care...I'll adapt to it.
I knew people would complain if they showed us anything. You can't please all the people all of the time, so they are aiming at most of the people who read their initial aims, thought them good and purchased..and doing OK I think.

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin

.ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..

█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.TELEGRAM
ultrix

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:20:22 AM

Honestly this forum is too full of cancer.   Everyone instantly attributes every statement as a scam or as FUD.  All I am saying is, why are more people not concerned with the fact this uses an external power supply?   I have _never_ seen a 4U in a data center with an external power supply.  Further it logistically does not work out with the design of most cabinets, unless you're planning on putting it in a 23" rack.  In any case, you sacrifice density, which means an increase in cost, as space isn't free.  I would also imagine the aesthetics of such an arrangement would not be appreciated by the host.

Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:20:40 AM

what would Golum do???   he would want the only miners made be his!!  my precious!!!

This pretty much sums up the trolls of this forum;

http://youtu.be/Iz-8CSa9xj8

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
ASIC-K

Activity: 280

Hell?

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:21:53 AM

Honestly this forum is too full of cancer.   Everyone instantly attributes every statement as a scam or as FUD.  All I am saying is, why are more people not concerned with the fact this uses an external power supply?   I have _never_ seen a 4U in a data center with an external power supply.  Further it logistically does not work out with the design of most cabinets, unless you're planning on putting it in a 23" rack.  In any case, you sacrifice density, which means an increase in cost, as space isn't free.  I would also imagine the aesthetics of such an arrangement would not be appreciated by the host.

Put it on a fucking milk crate. Jesus. This isn't rocket science.
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:22:17 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2013, 05:24:24 AM by erk

-1 KnC Miner.

They are not 4RU they are 200mm, they were not designed as rack mount devices. Most data center rack shelves are up to 900mm deep, lots of space for the miner and PSU.  If you can't deal with it, then you shouldn't be putting a mining rig in a data center the first place. These are not for amateurs, you probably don't even understand your insurance obligations.

I agree, you should ask for a refund, it's much smarter not to be mining at all, then with a miner that doesn't quite have the case you like.

ur0pl

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:24:00 AM

Honestly this forum is too full of cancer.   Everyone instantly attributes every statement as a scam or as FUD.  All I am saying is, why are more people not concerned with the fact this uses an external power supply?   I have _never_ seen a 4U in a data center with an external power supply.  Further it logistically does not work out with the design of most cabinets, unless you're planning on putting it in a 23" rack.  In any case, you sacrifice density, which means an increase in cost, as space isn't free.  I would also imagine the aesthetics of such an arrangement would not be appreciated by the host.

I am sure you could put the unit in a different case. But hey, I am just saying. I am putting mine in a milk crate
ultrix

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:24:51 AM

-1 KnC Miner.

They are not 4RU they are 200mm, they were not designed as rack mount devices. Most data center rack shelves are up to 900mm deep, lots of space for the miner and PSU.  If you can't deal with it, then you shouldn't be putting a mining rig in a data center the first place. These are not for amateurs, you probably don't even understand your insurance obligations.

Who permanently places equipment on shelves?  That's amateurish.  Maybe you should zip tie the PSU to the rail or stack them on stand offs.......

Also, so 5U not 4U...  the point is, what uses an external power supply that is supposed to be rackmounted other than 1U appliances?
Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 02:36:38 AM

Honestly this forum is too full of cancer.   Everyone instantly attributes every statement as a scam or as FUD.  All I am saying is, why are more people not concerned with the fact this uses an external power supply?   I have _never_ seen a 4U in a data center with an external power supply.  Further it logistically does not work out with the design of most cabinets, unless you're planning on putting it in a 23" rack.  In any case, you sacrifice density, which means an increase in cost, as space isn't free.  I would also imagine the aesthetics of such an arrangement would not be appreciated by the host.

It's not external, it just doesn't come with it's own power supply.  This is likely due to customs reasons, as lots of Avalon customers has their units held up in europe due to their power supplies.  For batch 3 Avalon had an option of shipping without one. It also simplifies their supply chain.

ASIC-K

Activity: 280

Hell?

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:38:36 AM

It's not external, it just doesn't come with it's own power supply.  This is likely due to customs reasons, as lots of Avalon customers has their units held up in europe due to their power supplies.  For batch 3 Avalon had an option of shipping without one. It also simplifies their supply chain.

no it actually is external, but what does it even matter right?
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:48:31 AM

I have to agree - this is a reasonable position and I share the opinion. I don't see why they wouldn't have done a standard size case and included the PSU as an internal component. Especially with KNC having a hosting plan, it would have made more sense to keep the PSU as an internal component so they could run as densely as power and cooling will allow.

With that said, I don't have a sizable number of units so running a few at my house or letting KNC handle them won't be a problem. Not thrilled but I'm not on the cancel bandwagon either.

ur0pl

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:49:07 AM

ask for the case dimensions. I am sure you could modify it if you dont like it.
Pages: « 1 ... 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 [299] 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: