Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:08:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 [322] 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
NoDisco

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 02:31:47 PM

Oh shit, you are saying that our miners which effectively have a lifespan of a maximum of 6 months of relevancy only offer a warranty of up to 1 year instead of 2?
1. Says who?
2. You are forgetting - RESALE. People are still eagerly buying 333Mh/s usb miners on ebay today. There will still be a market for a 400GH/s miner in 12 or 15 months, so the warranty should extend that far too.

Please don't order from KnC if their 1 Year warranty is an issue to you.

Order from BFL, they have a lifetime warranty!

Also as far as I'm aware resale often negates warranties. Certainly does with Sony.
Well let's just say that America drops a bomb on China (or vice versa) and then mining difficulty goes right down again. Maybe in 14 months my 400GH/s is still a slick piece of machinery. And then the crappy cpu cooler dies and board fries. My consumer device should be under warranty.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 02:32:00 PM

Yeah I was assuming you were talking anout them 4k fans.

Still overkill for a machine with a lifetime of about 6 months.

But people keep harping on about datacenter grade parts but don't realise that KNC haven't ever promised anything about "datacenter" grade machine.

People are taking the word "professional" too literately.

professional 24/7 machine (and it doesn't matter if it is router, switch, server, tape library or mining rig) = data center grade. (please check, how looks and how is designed professional IT 24/7 equipment, which cost more then 5k dollars)

I tried to google "Designed professional IT BITCOIN ASIC 24/7 equipment"

It didn't find anything,

You might be on the wrong thread if you are looking for server hardware.

ohh, stupid kid. for you in points:
1:
We are selling professional devices

2: bitcoin mining hardware should be designed for run 24/7

Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 02:34:07 PM

Oh shit, you are saying that our miners which effectively have a lifespan of a maximum of 6 months of relevancy only offer a warranty of up to 1 year instead of 2?
1. Says who?
2. You are forgetting - RESALE. People are still eagerly buying 333Mh/s usb miners on ebay today. There will still be a market for a 400GH/s miner in 12 or 15 months, so the warranty should extend that far too.

Also as far as I'm aware resale often negates warranties. Certainly does with Sony.
Well let's just say that America drops a bomb on China (or vice versa) and then mining difficulty goes right down again. Maybe in 14 months my 400GH/s is still a slick piece of machinery. And then the crappy cpu cooler dies and board fries. My consumer device should be under warranty.

Why? Most manufacturers rarely give you more than a year unless they are forced to. Fact is US won't be dropping a bomb on China, and if it does, you'll have a hell of a lot more to fear than hashrate.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
NoDisco

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 02:34:28 PM

But if the miner were to fall and the PSU was on a separate shelf and didn't, then all the power connectors and connection on the linux board are going to be torn to sh*t. That's not a great design.

Yeah, I agree it's sub-optimal. I don't know why they didn't add a frame or something for the PSU to be screwed in place on the side of the case.
+1000. That wouldn't have been so hard would it? PSU's are all pretty much standard size. It would feel a lot more secure for moving etc.
NoDisco

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 02:42:55 PM

1. Says who?

Why? Most manufacturers rarely give you more than a year unless they are forced to. Fact is US won't be dropping a bomb on China, and if it does, you'll have a hell of a lot more to fear than hashrate.
Surprised knc don't have a
"add an extra 1 year warranty for only $3000!" option.
 Grin
Ooh ooh, a slight on knc. Dive in and save them bitcoinorama!
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 02:44:18 PM

1. Says who?

Grin

Ok, I've realised you're just here to troll now. This is a pointless waste of time.

plasmoske

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

The realist

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 02:45:50 PM

Why would they even have that option? Not like the machine will be used for more than a year.
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 02:50:03 PM

<snip>
Note I am not saying KNC should make "professional grade" rigs at this time, it is more a thought exercise. Come on people you should be enthusiasts.  Don't you ever just brainstorm about how things can be done better?  I mean Satoshi did and that is why we have Bitcoin.  Still it shouldn't be taken as a bash on KNC, it has taken the server industry a couple decades to come up with optimal configurations.  It just is to show what people in the IT hardware world would consider "professional grade" today.  To their credit KNC has already designed a better cooling system them BFL.  The mere fact that their heatsinks and fans all face the same direction is a significant improvement.  Everytime I look at a photo of a BFL minirig I just cringe.  The IT geek in me wants to rip out all those stupid fans and do it right. Smiley

This goes beyond KNC but most "consumer" branded cooling gear is just garbage for gamers to waste money on.  The CFM ratings tend to be inflated and they are often more expensive then "professional grade" equipment.  Delta and the like is the real deal.  Boring, black, ugly, and very effective.

+1 - we can provide constructive feedback to KNC without running for the exits and asking for a refund. If anything, I'm a small scale miner with only a few rigs and none of them running in colo (except some hosted with KNC). For my own use, I don't care if the design is ugly and I've got plenty of room to deal with the inefficient use of space that these rigs + external PSUs will create. Hell, I don't care if they bothered with a case at all and I needed to supply my own milk crate. I just realize that I'm not KNC's only customer and that my requirements won't apply to everyone.

As an example, KNC is sponsoring Life on Bitcoin: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=273696.0

Do Austin and Becky really want a somewhat fragile miner + PSU setup in their living room? Unfortunately, I think that this design shortcut takes something that could have been consumer & professional grade and turns it into pure enthusiast grade. The wife acceptance factor goes way down and this unit will end up in the garage - that's where mine will be.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 02:53:19 PM

<snip>
Note I am not saying KNC should make "professional grade" rigs at this time, it is more a thought exercise. Come on people you should be enthusiasts.  Don't you ever just brainstorm about how things can be done better?  I mean Satoshi did and that is why we have Bitcoin.  Still it shouldn't be taken as a bash on KNC, it has taken the server industry a couple decades to come up with optimal configurations.  It just is to show what people in the IT hardware world would consider "professional grade" today.  To their credit KNC has already designed a better cooling system them BFL.  The mere fact that their heatsinks and fans all face the same direction is a significant improvement.  Everytime I look at a photo of a BFL minirig I just cringe.  The IT geek in me wants to rip out all those stupid fans and do it right. Smiley

This goes beyond KNC but most "consumer" branded cooling gear is just garbage for gamers to waste money on.  The CFM ratings tend to be inflated and they are often more expensive then "professional grade" equipment.  Delta and the like is the real deal.  Boring, black, ugly, and very effective.

+1 - we can provide constructive feedback to KNC without running for the exits and asking for a refund. If anything, I'm a small scale miner with only a few rigs and none of them running in colo (except some hosted with KNC). For my own use, I don't care if the design is ugly and I've got plenty of room to deal with the inefficient use of space that these rigs + external PSUs will create. Hell, I don't care if they bothered with a case at all and I needed to supply my own milk crate. I just realize that I'm not KNC's only customer and that my requirements won't apply to everyone.

As an example, KNC is sponsoring Life on Bitcoin: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=273696.0

Do Austin and Becky really want a somewhat fragile miner + PSU setup in their living room? Unfortunately, I think that this design shortcut takes something that could have been consumer & professional grade and turns it into pure enthusiast grade. The wife acceptance factor goes way down and this unit will end up in the garage - that's where mine will be.

Well be creative. I plan on building a MAME cabinet around mine. It will be a reverse arcade, where upon I get paid to play! All the time my kit is secure. Wink

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 02:55:21 PM

Well be creative. I plan on building a MAME cabinet around mine. It will be a reverse arcade, where upon I get paid to play! All the time my kit is secure. Wink

This is a fabulous idea! I like it. Better patent it now.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
canth
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 02:57:41 PM

That's an excellent idea and if you can get approval for a MAME cabinet into the living room, then you sir are winning the domestic battle. The garage and home office are my domains - I had to push to get tower speakers approved in the living room.  Wink

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 03:02:55 PM

That's an excellent idea and if you can get approval for a MAME cabinet into the living room, then you sir are winning the domestic battle. The garage and home office are my domains - I had to push to get tower speakers approved in the living room.  Wink

I'm not married buddy, but it sounds like you've approached this the wrong way around; should I ever consider such mutual cohabitation, I'll make sure she understands she's welcome to the garage and the home office, but the living room is strictly out of bounds to her say so. The cab stays! Tongue

NoDisco

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 03:05:42 PM

1. Says who?

Grin

Ok, I've realised you're just here to troll now. This is a pointless waste of time.
My last word to you is this. You, Bitcoinorama, make a lot of statements along the lines:
This is how things are, i.e. this is fact (which people read)
but do your own research (which people ignore, because they are lazy)

So they are left believing the first statement as fact/truth.

I'm pointing that out to you so you can realise, if you don't, that that is what you do.

You have a massive influence over the direction of everything discussed in this thread or any other thread related to knc. You seem to pop up in all of them.

All my questions about components, warranty etc are valid. And you jump all over them, try to dismiss them. You like to dissipate them with no facts, e.g. "Fact is US won't be dropping a bomb on China, and if it does, you'll have a hell of a lot more to fear than hashrate." Like most of the things you say, you don't know whether that will or won't happen. But you like to confidently assert you know all the facts, like YOU know the truth for sure.

On "will America drop a bomb on China" (aka doing a bitcoinorama)
Factual assertion: It definitely won't happen.
Disclaimer: Do your own research, read up news media in your own country. Don't take my word for it
Spurious link: http://thediplomat.com/flashpoints-blog/2013/07/12/why-china-and-the-us-probably-wont-go-to-war/
(Spurious link attempts to prove the factual assertion, wiping away the disclaimer. So reader walks away thinking the factual assertion is fact).
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 03:09:56 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2013, 03:22:08 PM by Bitcoinorama

1. Says who?

Grin

My last word to you is this. You, Bitcoinorama, make a lot of statements along the lines:
This is how things are, i.e. this is fact (which people read)
but do your own research (which people ignore, because they are lazy)

So they are left believing the first statement as fact/truth.

I'm pointing that out to you so you can realise, if you don't, that that is what you do.

You have a massive influence over the direction of everything discussed in this thread or any other thread related to knc. You seem to pop up in all of them.

All my questions about components, warranty etc are valid. And you jump all over them, try to dismiss them. You like to dissipate them with no facts, e.g. "Fact is US won't be dropping a bomb on China, and if it does, you'll have a hell of a lot more to fear than hashrate." Like most of the things you say, you don't know whether that will or won't happen. But you like to confidently assert you know all the facts, like YOU know the truth for sure.

On "will America drop a bomb on China" (aka doing a bitcoinorama)
Factual assertion: It definitely won't happen.
Disclaimer: Do your own research, read up news media in your own country. Don't take my word for it
Spurious link: http://thediplomat.com/flashpoints-blog/2013/07/12/why-china-and-the-us-probably-wont-go-to-war/
(Spurious link attempts to prove the factual assertion, wiping away the disclaimer. So reader walks away thinking the factual assertion is fact).

What? You proposed the hypothetical bombing, not I. How could I take that as a genuine concern?

Your questions have some validity, I don't deny that. I tried to reason before it boarded on unlikely scenarios.

Seriously, the fastest and most reasonable solution is just to email the guys and then relay their explanation(s) to us all, otherwise we may as well chase tails, as we can only assume why they made particular choices, i'm sure none of which, is as sinister as has been suggested. From my experience and that of others they've welcomed feedback, although it's prob too late to change case design now, but I really see no issue with it. I can't see data-centres rejecting it, as it's been designed fit for that purpose. It's is clearly a workhorse to be made to effectively mine and be produced to possess in the briefest possible time period. It's life cycle, if we're all honest with eachother here is unlikely to last beyond 12 months before everyone will have moved to a latter generation. If people wish to buy a second hand unit, fine, but they will require access to v.cheap electricity for any of the current unit, or those to be realised over the next 4 months units to remain plugged in this time next year. Regardless of BTC price the hashrate will undoubtedly grow to fit a minimal profit/elec cost margin.

canth
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 03:12:42 PM

I'm not married buddy, but it sounds like you've approached this the wrong way around; should I ever consider such mutual cohabitation, I'll make sure she understands she's welcome to the garage and the home office, but the living room is strictly out of bounds to her say so. The cab stays! Tongue

If she gives in to that, she's sure to be damaged in some other way - which isn't to say that you're not still getting a bargain! Smiley

Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 03:14:09 PM

Actually, I would bet that bitcoin prices would go way up if there was some kind of major war and governments started toppling, the hashrate would probably end up going up.

NoDisco

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 03:32:20 PM

What? You dissipated facts and proposed the hypothetical bombing, not I.
1. dissipating the argument by blaming me for dissipating the argument! Good rhetoric. And other one of your factual assertion ("not I"). You brought Sony into the equation. What the have Sony got to do with bitcoin miners? Total BS, dissipating what I was talking about.

How could I take that as a genuine concern?
Why would you? It's none of your business, unless it's your business? Why do you see it as your job to field "genuine concerns", when you always claim to have no connection with knc?

Your questions have some validity, I don't deny that.
Why do you always dissipate them then?

I tried to reason before it boarded on unlikely scenarios.
So was I, until you tossed Sony into the equation. Again, what the have Sony got to do with bitcoin miners?

Seriously, the fastest and most reasonable solution is just to email the guys and then relay their explanation(s) to us all
Here we go - do your own research! Right on cue.

otherwise we may as well chase tails
But you assert facts all the time, when do you chase your tale?

i'm sure none of which, is as sinister as has been suggested.
You don't know this for a fact, but state it for a fact. Keep it up.

From my experience and that of others they've welcomed feedback, although it's prob too late to change case design now, but I really see no issue with it.
Here we go again. Dissipation and bullshit. I posed a completely real scenario about the miner falling and tearing connectors to shreds. What was your response to that? None. And yet you make this factual assertion that "I really see no issue with it". Pah.

I can't see data-centres rejecting it, as it's been designed fit for that purpose.
Again, factual assertion and bullshit. Many people on this thread have said that data centres will reject it. Stop trying to change reality with BS.

I won't even bother with the rest of your post, as it's more of the same factless factual assertions.

Your PR on this thread is tiresome. If you are really not connected to knc, stay away from this thread for a week and let people have their say without trying to steer and control what's being said.
dextryn

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 03:32:26 PM

If she gives in to that, she's sure to be damaged in some other way - which isn't to say that you're not still getting a bargain! Smiley

They're all damaged canth
canth
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 03:37:01 PM

They're all damaged canth

Yes, it's a matter of figuring out in what way and to what degree. I refer to the well known Hot-Crazy ScaleTM

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 03:38:59 PM

What? You dissipated facts and proposed the hypothetical bombing, not I.
1. dissipating the argument by blaming me for dissipating the argument! Good rhetoric. And other one of your factual assertion ("not I"). You brought Sony into the equation. What the have Sony got to do with bitcoin miners? Total BS, dissipating what I was talking about.

How could I take that as a genuine concern?
Why would you? It's none of your business, unless it's your business? Why do you see it as your job to field "genuine concerns", when you always claim to have no connection with knc?

Your questions have some validity, I don't deny that.
Why do you always dissipate them then?

I tried to reason before it boarded on unlikely scenarios.
So was I, until you tossed Sony into the equation. Again, what the have Sony got to do with bitcoin miners?

Seriously, the fastest and most reasonable solution is just to email the guys and then relay their explanation(s) to us all
Here we go - do your own research! Right on cue.

otherwise we may as well chase tails
But you assert facts all the time, when do you chase your tale?

i'm sure none of which, is as sinister as has been suggested.
You don't know this for a fact, but state it for a fact. Keep it up.

From my experience and that of others they've welcomed feedback, although it's prob too late to change case design now, but I really see no issue with it.
Here we go again. Dissipation and bullshit. I posed a completely real scenario about the miner falling and tearing connectors to shreds. What was your response to that? None. And yet you make this factual assertion that "I really see no issue with it". Pah.

I can't see data-centres rejecting it, as it's been designed fit for that purpose.
Again, factual assertion and bullshit. Many people on this thread have said that data centres will reject it. Stop trying to change reality with BS.

I won't even bother with the rest of your post, as it's more of the same factless factual assertions.

Your PR on this thread is tiresome. If you are really not connected to knc, stay away from this thread for a week and let people have their say without trying to steer and control what's being said.

I had stayed away for a week whilst you cried about external PSUs and their housing since they released the info. My responses were sensible, clearly as the above demonstrates, yours aren't. Don't bring up hypothetical scenarios of superpowers bombing themselves into oblivion as a means to support your criticism of warranty period that sufficiently covers the useful profitable life of the product if you want your objections to be taken seriously. Asking them yourself if the only way to resolve this nonsense that's occurred since they released their case design a week ago. Deal with it.

Pages: « 1 ... 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 [322] 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: