Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:47:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 [300] 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049460 times)
ultrix

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:51:14 AM

Honestly this forum is too full of cancer.   Everyone instantly attributes every statement as a scam or as FUD.  All I am saying is, why are more people not concerned with the fact this uses an external power supply?   I have _never_ seen a 4U in a data center with an external power supply.  Further it logistically does not work out with the design of most cabinets, unless you're planning on putting it in a 23" rack.  In any case, you sacrifice density, which means an increase in cost, as space isn't free.  I would also imagine the aesthetics of such an arrangement would not be appreciated by the host.

It's not external, it just doesn't come with it's own power supply.  This is likely due to customs reasons, as lots of Avalon customers has their units held up in europe due to their power supplies.  For batch 3 Avalon had an option of shipping without one. It also simplifies their supply chain.

They said multiple external 12V and a 5V connector.  The reason for lacking a power supply is an interesting loophole with the FCC or their respective counterparts in most countries.  If the device is without power supply its technically characterized as a "kit", which is fairly common in the amateur radio scene, and hence doesn't have to have FCC approval.  Its smart on KNC's part to not ship with a power supply, faster time to market, and I have no problem with buying a power supply.
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:58:24 AM

Who permanently places equipment on shelves?  That's amateurish.  Maybe you should zip tie the PSU to the rail or stack them on stand offs.......

Also, so 5U not 4U...  the point is, what uses an external power supply that is supposed to be rackmounted other than 1U appliances?

The answer to the last question is that there is a fair bit of old school carrier grade telco equipment that uses external PSUs and whatnot. Aka, what Verizon installs for extending 2G/3G/4G (2G is still used for 911) in places where they have poor tower coverage.

However, we're in agreement. There seems to be little reason to have a case which cannot accommodate the PSU to be an internal component and allow for proper rail mounting and max density. If anything, I'd put this in the category of making things more difficult for KNC to sell to massive operations - it's annoying, but not necessarily a deal breaker. Maybe there's some other reason that I can't think of why they'd design the case as such - beats me though.

erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:06:03 AM

However, we're in agreement. There seems to be little reason to have a case which cannot accommodate the PSU to be an internal component and allow for proper rail mounting and max density. If anything, I'd put this in the category of making things more difficult for KNC to sell to massive operations - it's annoying, but not necessarily a deal breaker. Maybe there's some other reason that I can't think of why they'd design the case as such - beats me though.
There are good reasons not to have an internal PSU, additional expense, more heat to get rid off, and there is no problem convincing customs that it's not a mains power device that requires certification. If you need other cases, have them made and perhaps sell them on eBay as well. All the BFL models except the 500GH/s use external power supplies.

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:13:24 AM

There are good reasons not to have an internal PSU, additional expense, more heat to get rid off, and there is no problem convincing customs that it's not a mains power device that requires certification. If you need other cases, have them made and perhaps sell them on eBay as well. All the BFL models except the 500GH/s use external power supplies.

[/quote]

- The cost savings between the slightly smaller case can't be all that significant - I bet that any standard configuration, ordered in bulk is <$50.
- A high quality (gold rated) PSU will generate little additional heat inside the case and is obviously easy enough to design for servers with far larger power requirements.
- Customs is either going to want to open the case and look inside or they aren't. I can't imagine the size of the case nor the amount of free space inside will convince them one way or another.
- yes, the components could be moved to a case, but that takes extra time and money that shouldn't be needed. All Avalon units allow for an internal PSU. Yeah, they got stuck in customs - no I have no idea whether this is part of the reason.

I don't buy those reasons as justification - I still see this as a less efficient way to run 100+ of these units in a large operation. For the small miner (myself included) it's no issue - it's the serious mining operations that won't be as thrilled.

erk

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:31:00 AM

- The cost savings between the slightly smaller case can't be all that significant - I bet that any standard configuration, ordered in bulk is <$50.
- A high quality (gold rated) PSU will generate little additional heat inside the case and is obviously easy enough to design for servers with far larger power requirements.
- Customs is either going to want to open the case and look inside or they aren't. I can't imagine the size of the case nor the amount of free space inside will convince them one way or another.

I don't buy those reasons as justification - I still see this as a less efficient way to run 100+ of these units in a large operation. For the small miner (myself included) it's no issue - it's the serious mining operations that won't be as thrilled.
Good, lets hope it impedes large 100+ operations, we don't need that kind of net hash concentration.

The case is already 400mm wide, a 19"rack is 450mm, where are you going to put an ATX PSU and all it's cables?
Putting a PSU inside the case has enormous effect on airflow, hence cooling. The way they have done it is clean, no cables in the air path, no PSU trying to divert the airstream with it's own fan. The case would have to be massive, and expensive, do we need another BFL Minirig?

Customs problems with Avalon units and internal PSU have had numerous reports, even mentioned on their site.

kingcoin

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 04:36:11 AM

If the device is without power supply its technically characterized as a "kit", which is fairly common in the amateur radio scene, and hence doesn't have to have FCC approval.  Its smart on KNC's part to not ship with a power supply, faster time to market, and I have no problem with buying a power supply.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation tried that with the Raspberry Pi. The Pi also has an external PSU sold separately. But the Pi was delayed due to CE approval.

http://www.techspot.com/news/48006-raspberry-pi-delayed-over-confusion-about-ce-approval.html

The Raspberry Pi computer has been further delayed after confusion surrounding whether the educational credit card sized computer needed European CE certification before it could be shipped to customers.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation explained on their blog that the two distributors, currently holding the first batch of around 2,000 units were "not willing" to deliver them until the model had passed European compliance testing to ensure they don’t emit excessively high levels of electromagnetic noise.

They also explained that "given the volumes involved and the demographic mix of likely users, any development board exemption is not applicable to us; as a result, even the first uncased developer units of Raspberry Pi will require a CE mark prior to sale in the EU."

When asked about whether this would affect orders for those outside of the European Union, Eben Upton, founder of the Raspberry Pi Foundation replied, "North America is out of the question (FCC requirements largely mirror CE ones), but there are areas of the world which are less strict."

I would hope that KnC has allocated time at SEMKO for EMC testing and compliance certification.
MrHempstock

Activity: 140

"Don't worry. My career died after Batman, too."

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 04:53:28 AM

Honestly this forum is too full of cancer.   Everyone instantly attributes every statement as a scam or as FUD.  All I am saying is, why are more people not concerned with the fact this uses an external power supply?   I have _never_ seen a 4U in a data center with an external power supply.  Further it logistically does not work out with the design of most cabinets, unless you're planning on putting it in a 23" rack.  In any case, you sacrifice density, which means an increase in cost, as space isn't free.  I would also imagine the aesthetics of such an arrangement would not be appreciated by the host.

It's not external, it just doesn't come with it's own power supply.  This is likely due to customs reasons, as lots of Avalon customers has their units held up in europe due to their power supplies.  For batch 3 Avalon had an option of shipping without one. It also simplifies their supply chain.

FSM FORBID they actually took into consideration other mining manufacturer's mistakes and preemptively circumvented them.

AMATEURS.

BTCitcointalk 1%ers manipulate the currency and deceive its user community.
erk

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 05:00:51 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2013, 05:12:01 AM by erk

The Raspberry Pi Foundation tried that with the Raspberry Pi. The Pi also has an external PSU sold separately. But the Pi was delayed due to CE approval.

http://www.techspot.com/news/48006-raspberry-pi-delayed-over-confusion-about-ce-approval.html

The CE certification for the Raspberry Pi  board was a requirement of their distribution partners, not the EU.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/852

How many weeks did you say you wanted to delay shipping of the KNCminer products? I am not sure if all the other people here quite heard you.

JohnyBigs

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:12:05 AM

FSM FORBID they actually took into consideration other mining manufacturer's mistakes and preemptively circumvented them.

AMATEURS.

They also dropped the ball on built in wifi or usb slots for wifi cards. Imagine if you have a few of them not in a data center the amount of wires needed, since you will need to be plugged into different outlets.
plasmoske

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

The realist

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:21:17 AM

Too many princesses in here. I don't care what it comes in, as long as it is able to hash then it's all good!
eve

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:30:53 AM

Too many princesses in here. I don't care what it comes in, as long as it is able to hash then it's all good!

Just Show US the Asic Chips.
MrHempstock

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:32:00 AM

They also dropped the ball on built in wifi or usb slots for wifi cards. Imagine if you have a few of them not in a data center the amount of wires needed, since you will need to be plugged into different outlets.
Amount of wires? One ethernet cable per unit? I can assure you that terminating T568B ethernet RJ45 connectors is not near as difficult as setting up and successfully running even a single mining rig. And that's flat out assuming you didn't just spring for pre-terminated cables. (They're not that expensive and you've already proven to me you have the capability of shopping online)
And how would an internal vs external power supply in any way affect the NUMBER of power cables?
Unless I'm missing something, you're arguing that KNC choosing to NOT implement wifi is 'dropping the ball'

Great stride towards getting that Ignore button highlighted.

Madazam

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:35:23 AM

+1 Amen to that
MrHempstock

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:36:59 AM

Actually, I retract my statement. I see your point, now.
I demand a refund! They obviously aren't implementing bluray drives, integrated UPS backup redundancies, or even a PANIC button!
Ball-dropping amateurs. Let's go pump our money into something less proven and less likely-to-produce.

JohnyBigs

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:39:50 AM

Amount of wires? One ethernet cable per unit? I can assure you that terminating T568B ethernet RJ45 connectors is not near as difficult as setting up and successfully running even a single mining rig. And that's flat out assuming you didn't just spring for pre-terminated cables. (They're not that expensive and you've already proven to me you have the capability of shopping online)
And how would an internal vs external power supply in any way affect the NUMBER of power cables?
Unless I'm missing something, you're arguing that KNC choosing to NOT implement wifi is 'dropping the ball'

If you have 6 units in different rooms your going to need wifi bridges which is not a problem would of just been easier if it was built in or you could just plug a wifi usb card in.

Unless you want cables running from one room all over your house
JohnyBigs

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:42:05 AM

Actually, I retract my statement. I see your point, now.
I demand a refund! They obviously aren't implementing bluray drives, integrated UPS backup redundancies, or even a PANIC button!
Ball-dropping amateurs. Let's go pump our money into something less proven and less likely-to-produce.

You can spin it however you want its still ball dropping, but please keep praising them blindly.
FUKT

Activity: 446

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:45:14 AM

If you have 6 units in different rooms your going to need wifi bridges which is not a problem would of just been easier if it was built in or you could just plug a wifi usb card in.

Unless you want cables running from one room all over your house

I'm using a cheaper version of this:
http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/powerline/

Add a 4 port hub and your set. Ive seen cheaper versions for about $60.
phantastisch
Legendary

Activity: 2270
Merit: 1363

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 06:54:14 AM

AMATEURS.

*cough* pictures of a box with fans, Pre-orders, no proof of working asic-prototype *cough*

SHEEPLE.

HOWEYCOINS   ▮      Excitement and         ⭐  ● TWITTER  ● FACEBOOK   ⭐       
  ▮    guaranteed returns                 ●TELEGRAM                         
  ▮  of the travel industry
    ⭐  ●Ann Thread ●Instagram   ⭐ 
✅    U.S.Sec    ➡️
✅  approved!  ➡️
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 07:31:54 AM

SHEEPLE.

kingcoin

Activity: 262

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 07:36:56 AM

The CE certification for the Raspberry Pi  board was a requirement of their distribution partners, not the EU.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/852

How many weeks did you say you wanted to delay shipping of the KNCminer products? I am not sure if all the other people here quite heard you.

No the requirements are not set by the distributors. The requirements are set by the EU and the FCC and similar authorities. The distributors would not ditribibute the RPi because they did not want to get into trouble if the units would be stuck in customs, lawsuits if they caused fire, EMC disturbance, etc.

The ASUS motherboard I have in front of me right now has a CE marking even if it does not contain a power supply and only has an ATX connector.

Even if you sell only to business and not to consumers you need certification. You just have to comply with a different class of requirements (B vs A).

The RPi Foundation tried to define the unit as a research kit, but the distributors feared that it would not be accepted by the authorities as they were selling to mostly anybody, just like KnC.

Delays would be minimal if you just allocate time at SEMKO ahead of time when your first fully assembled unit arrive. If you have experience with EMC testing and requirements you should be able to pass the test. ORSoC AB should have experence in this field.

Pages: « 1 ... 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 [300] 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: