Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:35:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 05:23:35 PM

Could that have anything to do with the fact that bitcoin is used mainly to commit various flavors of crime?  I mean, Bitcoin Foundation's Vice Chairman is doing time for money laundering Undecided

Crime against the State. Such crime never existed before Tyranny. Cf. Drug laws or laws forbidding protecting yourself. The actual free country is found where such do not exist.

I am not sure but perhaps even Libya under Gaddafi did have drug laws, so - no free countries here.

ADD: For those who do not know history - until 1970s, none of these laws existed in the United States, only in countries where the administration held sway over the people. In the 1800s, hardly any country had any of these.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 05:32:39 PM

Mined coins (either new or fee based) have no history and are completely clean and untraceable. If you create a new pool ID and mine behind tor you are about as secure as I can imagine.
Not if Coinbase gets their way:

http://www.coindesk.com/coinbase-seeks-details-us-bitcoin-mining/

That's simply Coinbase being trapped by KYC laws. If these miners want to sell through coinbase then coinbase has to get documentation on the source of the coins.

Mined coins on P2P or a pool outside the US that are directly donate to snowden don't face this issue, because Snowden probably isn't going to utilize their services for very obvious reasons.
sporket

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 05:34:18 PM

most ppl still have not caught onto the idea that Bitcoin is fundamentally about honesty and hope...

Could that have anything to do with the fact that bitcoin is used mainly to commit various flavors of crime?  I mean, Bitcoin Foundation's Vice Chairman is doing time for money laundering Undecided

There is better evidence that almost all of the activity is still speculative and it makes sense that "most ppl" are not speculators.

Not sure, what do you mean?  That Bitcoin speculators are above crime & money laundering *cough* MagicalTux Sherm BTCKing Ukyo TradeFortress?
Anotherthing

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 05:44:38 PM

Crime against the State. Such crime never existed before Tyranny. Cf. Drug laws or laws forbidding protecting yourself. The actual free country is found where such do not exist.

I am not sure but perhaps even Libya under Gaddafi did have drug laws, so - no free countries here.

ADD: For those who do not know history - until 1970s, none of these laws existed in the United States, only in countries where the administration held sway over the people. In the 1800s, hardly any country had any of these.

You're right, my totally-not-insane friend--we were both born too late.  We should discuss this in greater detail @ my upcoming Supernode Summit.

BTW, I think your account might have been compromised.  My post was inexplicably deleted from your self-moderated thread.  Here it is, in its entirety:

Quote from: Bitcoin Forum
A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by the starter of a self-moderated topic. ...
Hello everyone!
I spent a long time feeling really butthurt that OP had a castle and I didn't.  It just seemed so unfair--he had one and I didn't.  And then Fortuna smiled down upon me.  I've made a shrewd investment in a castle of my very own, even more lavish & fortunately situated than OP's!  

Join Us at
2015 Detroit Supernode Summit
--enjoy the finer things in life; let's be fabulously wealthy together!

Satoshi Manor (currently undergoing renovation):
http://s13.postimg.org/lemrdia87/Capture.jpg

Slave Quarters (perfect as-is, they'll be fine here):
http://s17.postimg.org/57rog3mgf/Capture.jpg
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 06:05:05 PM

did pantera just launch the paypal killer

Huh

https://aligncommerce.com/

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 06:15:05 PM

Don't worry about the troll. I will not post here so often any more to incite more wrath.

Probably it is programmed to find any truthful exercise of free speech towards its employer and post random pictures as a result.

If they could not spare the programming cost, it might be a human as well, $1 per hour.

I have nothing against earning a living, but since I gave the responsibility of mine to God, fabulous things have happened Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 06:22:16 PM

most ppl still have not caught onto the idea that Bitcoin is fundamentally about honesty and hope...

Could that have anything to do with the fact that bitcoin is used mainly to commit various flavors of crime?  I mean, Bitcoin Foundation's Vice Chairman is doing time for money laundering Undecided

There is better evidence that almost all of the activity is still speculative and it makes sense that "most ppl" are not speculators.

Not sure, what do you mean?  That Bitcoin speculators are above crime & money laundering *cough* MagicalTux Sherm BTCKing Ukyo TradeFortress?

Every example you gave involves speculation. In other words, the criminals and scammers are a subset of the speculators, and the speculators (criminal and otherwise) are almost the entire thing. At one time the original Silk Road was criminal but not speculation (and indeed the closest Bitcoin has come to mainstream adoption) and that would support your premise, but dark markets are only a shadow of that at the point. Now we are back to criminal and non-criminal speculation.
jmw74

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 06:28:31 PM

Mined coins (either new or fee based) have no history and are completely clean and untraceable. If you create a new pool ID and mine behind tor you are about as secure as I can imagine.

That's simply Coinbase being trapped by KYC laws. If these miners want to sell through coinbase then coinbase has to get documentation on the source of the coins.

Mined coins on P2P or a pool outside the US that are directly donate to snowden don't face this issue, because Snowden probably isn't going to utilize their services for very obvious reasons.

Even if you do mine on a US pool, unless you give them your real identity, it doesn't matter much what they tell coinbase. Last I checked, mining pools do not ask for any identifying information.

Of course, you may need to obscure your real IP address from the pool, but that's about it.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 06:36:09 PM

Even if you do mine on a US pool, unless you give them your real identity, it doesn't matter much what they tell coinbase. Last I checked, mining pools do not ask for any identifying information.

Of course, you may need to obscure your real IP address from the pool, but that's about it.

Where this is likely going is Coinbase declaring coins from pools that don't play ball to be "high risk" or alternately declaring all coins of unknown origin to be "high risk". High risk means they won't process transactions involving those coins (will require you to send them back or possibly just seize them) or will close your account if you try to do so.

I can see a situation fairly soon (if not now) where services like Coinbase, etc. will only deal in coins that are something of a closed loop between themselves, Bitpay, and a few others, meaning those services will be available only to customers for whom that is their entire use case for Bitcoin. The rest who trade coins outside "the system" will find themselves in a new version of unbanked.

This is not satoshi's Bitcoin any more.

rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 07:29:43 PM

Where this is likely going is Coinbase declaring coins from pools that don't play ball to be "high risk" or alternately declaring all coins of unknown origin to be "high risk". High risk means they won't process transactions involving those coins (will require you to send them back or possibly just seize them) or will close your account if you try to do so.

I can see a situation fairly soon (if not now) where services like Coinbase, etc. will only deal in coins that are something of a closed loop between themselves, Bitpay, and a few others, meaning those services will be available only to customers for whom that is their entire use case for Bitcoin. The rest who trade coins outside "the system" will find themselves in a new version of unbanked.

This is not satoshi's Bitcoin any more.

And this is exactly what I was arguing a few weeks ago that will probably happen, where the governments of the world can attack bitcoin by requiring traceable coins or possibly even 3rd party approved wallets that green address everything.

Yes people can operate outside of that, but no established business will accept coins from non-compliant address or send to non-compliant addresses, for the simple fact that the government would shut them down. And sure you could transfer your green coins out of that sub-system to non-compliant addresses or tumblers, but if doing so is illegal and easily traceable to you, then you really can't.

I think this is a very real and possible future for bitcoin. Now the flip side is complete government traceability of money will go a long way towards identifying real corruption in government agencies, etc. But it will also make it easier to seize assets from individuals/businesses at will.

The one positive outcome of such a scenario though is (provided mining remains distributed and outside of government control) then at least the 21M cap will exist and governments will be forced back onto a sound money standard. And after the coming fiat explosion the public just might demand that too.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 08:59:38 PM
Last edit: April 02, 2015, 09:13:08 PM by Zangelbert Bingledack

Huh

Whoah, I get it. I get what's going on here. They're backdooring Bitcoin into the mainstream.

Connect the dots:

1) No mention of Bitcoin on Align's website, except in the press section headlines, even though they use it. Only ever mention "the blockchain" and "blockchain technology."

2) Somehow this has escaped mention on /r/Bitcoin and elsewhere, even though it's gigantic news. They've deliberately not associated with "Bitcoin" overtly. It seems at first strange, because they could have had a bunch of easy customers from the Bitcoin community, as well as its support. Think: Overstock's Bitcoin acceptance launch where they got a bit of a sales boost. But it makes perfect sense when you realize they're gunning higher. The old paradigm is to offer service for the Bitcoin community; the new paradigm is to offer services that use Bitcoin and include no reference to it, because customers don't need to understand it, know how to secure it, or deal with it at all.

2) The recent trend of, "We don't know about this Bitcoin thing, but blockchain technology is the future" is turned on its head by Align's strategy. What was a sort of backhanded dismissal becomes a Trojan horse. Bitcoin quietly becomes the payment rails for better bank wires, stigma intact but irrelevant because no one knows they're using Bitcoin.

3) The general sense among some thinkers in the space that "when Bitcoin succeeds it'll be because people don't even know they're using it."

The implications for investment are obvious, but users of Align's service are completely removed from that. Investing in Bitcoin, to them, would be like investing in Cisco because they like buying books on Amazon.com. But Cisco still did very well because it was needed for the backbone infrastructure and investors recognized that.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 09:04:04 PM

In that scenario, Coinbase would find themselves a relatively useless niche company, a bit like AOL. They would be the ones cut out of the greater loop of the burgeoning Internet of Money. You can posit that regulators would jump on board this and restrict the US Bitcoin economy to that little niche, but it'd be like if they did the same with AOL in 1995. The vast possibilities of the Internet would have moved to other countries, leaving the US behind. How long would that have lasted? How long can they take the pain of seeing that tax revenue stream grow overseas? Smiley
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 09:22:58 PM

Huh

Whoah, I get it. I get what's going on here. They're backdooring Bitcoin into the mainstream.

Connect the dots:

1) No mention of Bitcoin on Align's website, except in the press section headlines, even though they use it. Only ever mention "the blockchain" and "blockchain technology."

2) Somehow this has escaped mention on /r/Bitcoin and elsewhere, even though it's gigantic news. They've deliberately not associated with "Bitcoin" overtly. It seems at first strange, because they could have had a bunch of easy customers from the Bitcoin community, as well as its support. Think: Overstock's Bitcoin acceptance launch where they got a bit of a sales boost. But it makes perfect sense when you realize they're gunning higher. The old paradigm is to offer service for the Bitcoin community; the new paradigm is to offer services that use Bitcoin and include no reference to it, because customers don't need to understand it, know how to secure it, or deal with it at all.

2) The recent trend of, "We don't know about this Bitcoin thing, but blockchain technology is the future" is turned on its head by Align's strategy. What was a sort of backhanded dismissal becomes a Trojan horse. Bitcoin quietly becomes the payment rails for better bank wires, stigma intact but irrelevant because no one knows they're using Bitcoin.

3) The general sense among some thinkers in the space that "when Bitcoin succeeds it'll be because people don't even know they're using it."

The implications for investment are obvious, but users of Align's service are completely removed from that. Investing in Bitcoin, to them, would be like investing in Cisco because they like buying books on Amazon.com. But Cisco still did very well because it was needed for the backbone infrastructure and investors recognized that.

sounds like the Coin.ph model except for businesses only.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 10:00:43 PM

Ripple, Jed, and Bitstamp back in the news:

$1 Million Legal Fight Ensnares Ripple, Bitstamp and Jed McCaleb

http://www.coindesk.com/bitstamp-court-1-million-dispute-ripple-jed-mccaleb/
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 11:04:30 PM

Grinding higher.

This one could hurt.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 11:08:17 PM

In that scenario, Coinbase would find themselves a relatively useless niche company, a bit like AOL. They would be the ones cut out of the greater loop of the burgeoning Internet of Money. You can posit that regulators would jump on board this and restrict the US Bitcoin economy to that little niche, but it'd be like if they did the same with AOL in 1995. The vast possibilities of the Internet would have moved to other countries, leaving the US behind. How long would that have lasted? How long can they take the pain of seeing that tax revenue stream grow overseas? Smiley

Bear in mind that AOL ended up buying a large media company and is still around (recently or soon to be spun off into a standalone company again, I'm not sure which), so that is not necessarily an outcome that would be considered a failure. They didn't stay on the leading edge of technology (though that was never really their model anyway).

In fact the analogy between AOL and Coinbase is fairly close. Both were created to make a new technology more accessible to the masses in a watered down form.

ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 11:21:35 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveforbes/2015/04/02/how-bitcoin-will-end-world-poverty/

Posted by Steve Forbes himself.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 11:34:12 PM

there's that blockchain again!
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 12:03:01 AM

Huh

Connect the dots:

Once again I agree with you on most points.

This and Abra Global are two beautiful ways of abstracting Bitcoin out of the picture for the benefit of commercial and mass consumer adoption.

They seem to have a great team and equally impressive backers.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 12:19:11 AM

Bear in mind that AOL ended up buying a large media company and is still around (recently or soon to be spun off into a standalone company again, I'm not sure which), so that is not necessarily an outcome that would be considered a failure. They didn't stay on the leading edge of technology (though that was never really their model anyway).

In fact the analogy between AOL and Coinbase is fairly close. Both were created to make a new technology more accessible to the masses in a watered down form.

I could buy that scenario. Since there's such a massive gulf between pure Bitcoin and pure Fed money, we might end up with several shades of gray trying to operate simultaneously for a while.
Pages: « 1 ... 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 [1121] 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: