Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:25:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285062 times)
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2011, 03:17:42 AM

Used LinuxCoin on USB thumbdrive on:
Sempron LE 2.8 GHz, 2GB RAM, 1xATI 6990
gpu clocks 900, 360, gpu voltage: 1.1 gpu temp max: 67 degrees C, fan on auto linear.

poclbm: 680 MH/sec
Phoenix: 550 MH/sec (poclbm kernel)
             520 MH/sec (phatk kernel)
DiabloMiner: haven't gotten around to fixing persistence and then install java.

On any miner under windows I was getting 100 cpu usage and the machine would crash after half an hour from a hot cpu. Under LinuxCoin I'm getting 1-5% cpu usage, it's running cool and not crashing. Sweet!  Creating and maintaining a distro is harder than it looks, so thanks lots for sorting this.

I don't need to move around so is there an install to hd option so I wont need to bother trying to get persistence to work? Or should I just use Unetbootin?

Now if I can just reduce the sound of the 6990 to a dull roar, I might be allowed to keep the thing!

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brwyatt

Activity: 50
Merit: 7

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 05:30:21 AM

New version seems to work... but I'm not sure how to get it going over SSH, and then be able to logoff. I thought maybe screen, but it pops up another terminal. Either way, I've got it working and SSH seems to work now! Thanks again for working on this for the community! Now that I've got my 6990 mining (GUIMiner in Win7) and my miner mining with LinuxCoin on my 5750, I'll throw a coin your way in about 24 hours! Cheesy Thanks again!
de4l

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 07:44:27 AM

Used LinuxCoin on USB thumbdrive on:
Sempron LE 2.8 GHz, 2GB RAM, 1xATI 6990
gpu clocks 900, 360, gpu voltage: 1.1 gpu temp max: 67 degrees C, fan on auto linear.

poclbm: 680 MH/sec
Phoenix: 550 MH/sec (poclbm kernel)
             520 MH/sec (phatk kernel)
DiabloMiner: haven't gotten around to fixing persistence and then install java.

On any miner under windows I was getting 100 cpu usage and the machine would crash after half an hour from a hot cpu. Under LinuxCoin I'm getting 1-5% cpu usage, it's running cool and not crashing. Sweet!  Creating and maintaining a distro is harder than it looks, so thanks lots for sorting this.

I don't need to move around so is there an install to hd option so I wont need to bother trying to get persistence to work? Or should I just use Unetbootin?

Now if I can just reduce the sound of the 6990 to a dull roar, I might be allowed to keep the thing!

how are you raising voltage in linux? Are you flashing with RBE beforehand?
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2011, 08:20:59 AM

You can manage voltage, mem clock, gpu clock etc with AMDOverdriveCtrl - well I hope the voltage slider is doing something!

drgr33n has kindly included AMDOverdriveCtrl as well as SDK 2.4 in the distro, so just look for it under "Other" in the menu (bottom left button) and experiment. !

BTW, 1.1 V is actually undervolted compared to what the normal high load profile was. Worth changing.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
drgr33n (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 10:15:07 AM

I'm trying to append to the init sequence to automatically run the miner after the boot is complete.

Do any of you Linux people know in what file I would put a command like that?  I imagine that the command would fail if it ran before X was completely up.

If you google lxde autostart there are hundreds of guides Wink

is there anyway i get flash the bios of my cards with linuxcoin? Or someway to pass the 775 clock limit on my cards? Iv seen lots of guides for win7. i tried google to but i cant seem to find anything.

This may be in the pipeline Wink Not via linux but using a small dos install. Currently I'm unaware of anyway to flash your cards without windows/dos

Glad most seem to be getting along well with linuxcoin !! Cheesy
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 10:29:10 AM

New version seems to work... but I'm not sure how to get it going over SSH, and then be able to logoff. I thought maybe screen, but it pops up another terminal. Either way, I've got it working and SSH seems to work now! Thanks again for working on this for the community! Now that I've got my 6990 mining (GUIMiner in Win7) and my miner mining with LinuxCoin on my 5750, I'll throw a coin your way in about 24 hours! Cheesy Thanks again!

DISPLAY=:0 lxterminal -e"/opt/miners/phoenix.py ...

That should start a session with the terminal on the remote computer and you can log off and leave mining Wink
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 01:00:04 PM

I'm probably missing something really obvious, but what is the password for the default user? I have persistence set up and am trying to install the driver for my wireless USB adapter (ASUS USB-N10), and I think I need to input the password for one of the steps. I'm a complete linux noob, though, so I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

you need to change root password with command "passwd"

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
REF

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 01:11:15 PM

I'm trying to append to the init sequence to automatically run the miner after the boot is complete.

Do any of you Linux people know in what file I would put a command like that?  I imagine that the command would fail if it ran before X was completely up.

If you google lxde autostart there are hundreds of guides Wink

is there anyway i get flash the bios of my cards with linuxcoin? Or someway to pass the 775 clock limit on my cards? Iv seen lots of guides for win7. i tried google to but i cant seem to find anything.

This may be in the pipeline Wink Not via linux but using a small dos install. Currently I'm unaware of anyway to flash your cards without windows/dos

Glad most seem to be getting along well with linuxcoin !! Cheesy

awesome! the OS is great i got all 3 miners working but poclbm turned out to be the best so far by 20-40Mhash/s
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 02:59:35 PM

It's on the first post the user password is live. If you need root then just enter

sudo su root

brwyatt

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 03:32:46 PM

That should start a session with the terminal on the remote computer and you can log off and leave mining Wink

So that tells it to physically open the window on the remote screen? I've been using start_mining, but I guess that won't work? I've never had to do anything more than simple X11 forwarding. I can probably just do the above, then, I know the arguments I need anyway. Thanks! Cheesy
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 06:35:01 PM

So that tells it to physically open the window on the remote screen? I've been using start_mining, but I guess that won't work? I've never had to do anything more than simple X11 forwarding. I can probably just do the above, then, I know the arguments I need anyway. Thanks! Cheesy

Yes you can just simply forward X but the trouble is if you then disconnect from the host mining stops. Using lxterminal to launch on the hosts display has its downside that if you dont have a screen you don't know whats going on but you can disconnect and move on.

Actually this gives me a little idea Cheesy Who wants SSH support for start_mining ? lol
de4l

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 07:00:28 PM

You can manage voltage, mem clock, gpu clock etc with AMDOverdriveCtrl - well I hope the voltage slider is doing something!

drgr33n has kindly included AMDOverdriveCtrl as well as SDK 2.4 in the distro, so just look for it under "Other" in the menu (bottom left button) and experiment. !

BTW, 1.1 V is actually undervolted compared to what the normal high load profile was. Worth changing.

I have been using AMDOverdriveCtrl on my 5970 and it works great for downclocking the memory, the issue is that it only gives a max voltage of 1.05 for my card which is only enough to get to about 815mhz stable, about 1.16 is needed to get to 900+mhz
brwyatt

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 08:11:39 PM

Yes you can just simply forward X but the trouble is if you then disconnect from the host mining stops. Using lxterminal to launch on the hosts display has its downside that if you dont have a screen you don't know whats going on but you can disconnect and move on.

Actually this gives me a little idea Cheesy Who wants SSH support for start_mining ? lol

I would love it! One thought would be to redirect the output of the miners into files/dummy devices and then start_mining could display the stats? Or if instead of launching in another terminal, it just starts it there. Just some thoughts. That is kinda how I expected it to work, I didn't expect another window to pop up. Maybe this could even be a selectable option? I think the ability to use SSH is VERY important, especially for those with mining clusters.
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 08:19:52 PM

Yea something like that wouldn't be too hard. I'll take a look Sunday afternoon see what I can come up with Wink
Basiley

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 08:25:28 PM

or huge/fat/half-screen GUI buttons "press here to start mining" and "press here to configure you miner" and etc Wink
brwyatt

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 08:33:08 PM

Oh, I've neglected to mention that the font color in the terminal is REALLY hard to see on the white/gold background. If the text was black (or if the background of the terminal was not transparent) that would fix things majorly. Granted, it can be changed manually, but it should work out of the box as far as readability.
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 08:39:11 PM

or huge/fat/half-screen GUI buttons "press here to start mining" and "press here to configure you miner" and etc Wink

Or a laser beam that scratches you arse from space Cheesy Only kidding guys don't get excited about that feature Cheesy

Oh, I've neglected to mention that the font color in the terminal is REALLY hard to see on the white/gold background. If the text was black (or if the background of the terminal was not transparent) that would fix things majorly. Granted, it can be changed manually, but it should work out of the box as far as readability.

All graphical stuff is yet to be complete. The wallpaper was just one from google images. The final version will be a lot more polished Wink
Basiley

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 08:49:07 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2011, 02:33:28 PM by Basiley

Or a laser beam that scratches you arse from space Cheesy Only kidding guys don't get excited about that feature Cheesy

All graphical stuff is yet to be complete. The wallpaper was just one from google images. The final version will be a lot more polished Wink

or both and cookie ;-)
just to say: LXDE was perfect DE choice 4 such purpose !
brwyatt

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 09:51:28 PM

Fair enough. Cheesy Just throught that it should be mentioned as a usability issue.
CD-RW

Activity: 56
Merit: 22

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 10:34:49 PM

My mirror is back up, and two 100 meg connections are feeding the torrent. http://www.fastspeedtest.net/mirrors/linuxcoin/LinuxCoin-v0.2a.torrent

Should be plenty of bandwidth.
Hmm weird. My dedicated box was downloading at 4MB/s, not at the full 10MB/s I was hoping for Tongue
Seeding too!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: