Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:11:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285063 times)
Math Man

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 07:53:29 AM

I tested this crap out, and could not even tell me how many Mhash that I was geting,

then it desides to do a nice crash on me.
I cant find the shutdown,  so I force the system off so I can just shut it down,

I also tryed this on both my  main miners, and both had the same problems, and the network does not seem to work properly in my 4 year old systems that I made a miner, but the network seems to run fine on my brand spanking new mother board

This needs a major update. the gui miner needs to be fixed, Nothing saves even with a usb

guys try again, I rather not deal with linux, windozoes does a muchbetter job, and now I can have 8 cards per winblows system

I think Ill stick to my macs for regualr computer use..
and winblows for my servers and miners,

I wish linux was easy to uunderstand, but its not and its riddled with bugs

Drgr33n welcomes constructive criticism or descriptive complaints about issues you encounter.  However, your post falls under neither of those categories.

Everybody else that posts in this thread is up to the challenge of learning what they are doing wrong or helping drgr33n by reporting bugs.  Additionally, drgr33n and others posting here are VERY helpful to those willing to learn.

Please do move along to other things.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bigjake52

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 12:25:29 PM

well when stuf like the conection problem with the bitminer on all of the the pools I tryed is fixed I might look at it again,
Where is the install to hard drive? I rather not run from usb sticks if I have tons and tons of hard drives I can use as I have only two usb sticks
Why are there features like mp3 players and stuff included? if its a miner it needs to be close to bear bones,  My xp install may be big but for windows xp its quite about a gig or two
Im sorry but I think the fancey tesktops and stuff can be taken out to safe space and bandwith

the over clocking porgram fails to work.
The miner once again fails to work to mine and ive tested with all three of my miners, and they are all range of ages. (4 year old 5 year old 4week old)
all have ati cards I said yes to the amd licence crap,

see windows works easer for this, if I want my wallet safe then I put it in a tc file. tis not that hard

now if there is a v0.3 or even .4 then I will try it again but it needs the bugs worked out,

and whats the root password?
hack6500

Activity: 15

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 01:25:27 PM

well when stuf like the conection problem with the bitminer on all of the the pools I tryed is fixed I might look at it again,
Where is the install to hard drive? I rather not run from usb sticks if I have tons and tons of hard drives I can use as I have only two usb sticks
Why are there features like mp3 players and stuff included? if its a miner it needs to be close to bear bones,  My xp install may be big but for windows xp its quite about a gig or two
Im sorry but I think the fancey tesktops and stuff can be taken out to safe space and bandwith

The miner once again fails to work to mine and ive tested with all three of my miners, and they are all range of ages. (4 year old 5 year old 4week old)

see windows works easer for this, if I want my wallet safe then I put it in a tc file. tis not that hard

now if there is a v0.3 or even .4 then I will try it again but it needs the bugs worked out,

as this was your personal experience, any failure is purely a reflection of your single attempt, and most likely could be resolved reading the threads, and doing some research online, but most importantly likely a reflection of your hardware choices. as stated, linuxcoin is not for everyone, no one is forcing you to use 'advanced' software, move onto what works for you.

personally, last night i was able to PXE boot twenty two (22) servers into linuxcoin configured for persistence and move my pool mining at will using smartcoin until my heart desired! try that with windows!

Dr.Green: can we get a rundown on what linuxcoin-patches-xxXX11 are suggested to apply to the -final build
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 07:43:49 PM

Noob here - when running linuxcoin, how do I install a software like TrueCrypt?
bigjake52

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 09:17:20 PM

as this was your personal experience, any failure is purely a reflection of your single attempt, and most likely could be resolved reading the threads, and doing some research online, but most importantly likely a reflection of your hardware choices. as stated, linuxcoin is not for everyone, no one is forcing you to use 'advanced' software, move onto what works for you.

personally, last night i was able to PXE boot twenty two (22) servers into linuxcoin configured for persistence and move my pool mining at will using smartcoin until my heart desired! try that with windows!

Dr.Green: can we get a rundown on what linuxcoin-patches-xxXX11 are suggested to apply to the -final build
Thats great you can netboot all of your miners, but then you need a requried server to be able to handle all of the clients and about 2 gigs of ram for it to run...

any ways,

I"m very good with computers, and I mess with OSX and Windows more then linux, I never even bother with linux becuase it to much dirty work, and I tryed bitcoin linux to see how well it woul work on my system,

four times on three drifrent systems, and it seems to not work at all. I"m in for mining for the fun of it, I think we all are, and Im sorry if I sound like a crazy person but still linux does not work for me and I made legit complantes about it... and it seems they wont get fixed
Math Man

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 10:49:32 PM

Nobody is going to help you with the poor attitude you have. 

If you truly want help, clearly and accurately describe specific issues and the hardware you're using in a friendly, inquisitive post.  Otherwise, move along, and quit trolling.
hack6500

Activity: 15

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 10:51:19 PM

Thats great you can netboot all of your miners, but then you need a requried server to be able to handle all of the clients and about 2 gigs of ram for it to run...

ahh.. thats a job for a VM copy of the very same software! recursion ROCKS i might say!

no one ever said this was all easy, but its easier than rollerblading, at least for me!

RE: installing to HD required booting off a separate ubuntu disc and installing grub from that.

my ubuntu notes (might not work for you directly)
--------
set root=(hd0,msdos1)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-3-amd64 root=/dev/sda1
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.39-3-amd64
boot

back in linuxcoin i had to end up doing the following to properly 'update-grub'
--------
paxctl -zpeMRxs /usr/sbin/grub-setup
paxctl -zpeMRxs /usr/sbin/grub-mkdevicemap
paxctl -zpeMRxs /usr/sbin/grub-probe

now my vm host of linuxcoin installed on a HD and will boot, woot!

right now i am apt-get updating and customizing, followed by copying my custom live-rw/home-rw persistence partitions onto other 4gb usb sticks.

Dr G: any news on when 1.0 will drop? cause i am planing on doing this all over again!

Dr G: any chance of getting netselect-apt included to find the closest mirror?
bigjake52

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 10:52:40 PM

I love it how im not even trying to troll and you guys think that,
got to love that.

OKay first problem

guiminer in linux will not give me a read out on how many mhash my system is working,
just says coneting but I know it is because it gets shares. whats wrong?
Math Man

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 11:20:44 PM

Does it have to be TrueCrypt?  If not, the wiki details through the steps to encrypt the home partition.  http://www.linuxcoin.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Encryption

This is a Debian based OS.  When I get stuck, I often search blogs, manual pages, official distribution documentation, and forums of either Debian, Ubuntu, or Linux Mint.  All of those distros are Debian based (In other words, they are inter-operable for the most part.) and thoroughly documented.

If you're set on installing the TrueCrypt package, you could try to follow this guide http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=149561

There's no officially supported Debian package for TrueCrypt.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, please.  I think this is due to licensing issues.  If there was a supported package, it would be really easy to install through Synaptic Package Manager or Apt. 
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 12:16:46 AM

Thanks Math Man. I'm basically just trying to encrypt my wallet.dat, so I can email it to myself and make backups.

I'm also having difficulty because this is installed on a 4gb usb drive, and it seems to be partitioned so that the amount of space available for the block chain is too small. Only like 50mb are left now =/  I'm assuming I can't reallocate size without reformatting?
drgr33n (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 12:56:31 AM

Sorry guy's been working real hard on some new projects and had some real life to take care of. I will be back in the land of the living tomorrow and will answer all your questions then.
DiamondPlus

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 01:39:24 AM
Last edit: August 25, 2011, 02:57:33 PM by DiamondPlus

've tried phoenix and poclbm

right out of the box and stock the 3 cards are doing 260mhps with BFI_INT VECTORS WORKSIZE=256 AGGRESSION=12
If i set the first card to those flags it cranks the cpu to 100%.  This ends up reducing the performance of the other workers.
So I set the aggression down to 8 on the first card but now I can only get 150MHPS!!  What gives?
Currently I have to run the first card at 150mphs while the other 3 are running 260 completely stock.

I've tried all different flags, both kernels and the only way these cards do anything decent is with aggression=12
how can I run my primary card at aggression=12 without lagging the cpu?
I would love some advice on the issue, it may even be worth a tip, who knows.....

I will be sending a donation for the efforts put into linuxcoin, anyway.  Truely a great build.  Needs a little fine tuning/documentation but can get anyone who HAS A CLUE up and running in minutes.

Other than that this is my 2nd linuxcoin rig.  first one is 4x 5830's.  Worked flawlessy in minutes (maybe an hour)
whoever says getting linuxcoin to run is hard, obviously is not even familiar enough with windows, so probably should dodge linux altogether.....
that is coming from an avid windows users and a linux novice.  what parts are you guys having so much trouble with.  An easy windows tool to delete the partition and make a small first partition is EASEUS Partition Manager.  It is completely free for home use.  GPARTED is also another great program, just boot from the disc and make your two partitions.

-DiamondPlus
Math Man

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 04:30:06 AM

I have a similar situation, where I have to run the first GPU on my first 5970 at a lower aggression.  Otherwise the other 5 GPUs suffer.  It's not anything to do with the CPU, as the CPU has 2-3% utilization.  Maybe it's the drivers or SDK. 

Does WORKSIZE=128 increase your hash rate at all?  Also, try the first GPU aggression at 9 or 10.  One of my rigs likes the first GPU at 9, while the other one likes it at 10.
zargon

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 07:23:34 PM

You will have to send me some more information about your system and how you have things setup for me to diagnose ?

its a biostar p4m89-m7 with a c2d e6600
VIA P4M890
VIA VT8237R+chipsets
 2x1gb sticks of ram

lam is realtek rtl8201CL

and a XFX reference 6950 2gb

running off a 4gb USB key
STP

Activity: 47
Merit: 12

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 12:25:40 AM

Sorry guy's been working real hard on some new projects and had some real life to take care of. I will be back in the land of the living tomorrow and will answer all your questions then.

Any chance we are going to see the new release this week? With CCC 11.7?
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 05:16:11 AM

Catalyst 11.7 is no good on Linux. It takes the cpu to 100% and heavily slows the miners.

See: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=32520.0

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
deti

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 11:11:47 AM

@ drgr33n

Do you know why I can't use aticonfig with LinuxCoin coming from outside via SSH?

Code:
# DISPLAY=:0 aticonfig --lsa
No protocol specified
* 0. 08:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 6990
  1. 07:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 6990

* - Default adapter

# DISPLAY=:0 aticonfig --odgc --adapter=all
No protocol specified
ERROR - X needs to be running to perform ATI Overdrive(TM) commands

See also my post # 78 on https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25750.0;all

drgr33n (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 01:49:36 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2011, 03:29:59 PM by drgr33n

Hey guys !! Big progress with the PXE mining scripts !! LinuxCoin has been patched up to accept nfscow persistence !! Which means i can use a hook in dhcpd to run a script before the IP has been issued and setup persistence for each machine Cheesy I'm going to call this feature PnP cluster mining Cheesy

This means that if you have bought a new mining node all you have to do is plug it in and turn it on and it linuxcoin will boot it, setup persistence, add the node to munin etc, setup some swap space for suspend / resume (Probably use this for suspending & resuming if the cards get to hot etc ?) start mining. More on this to come Wink

Using apt-get ... ie;
Code:
apt-get update;apt-get install truecrypt
Or use the synaptic package manager included in the system menu.

Why are there features like mp3 players and stuff included? if its a miner it needs to be close to bear bones,  My xp install may be big but for windows xp its quite about a gig or two

Sure there's only two Cheesy I'll edit this post when i reboot back into my slackware box.

I love it how im not even trying to troll and you guys think that,
got to love that.

OKay first problem

guiminer in linux will not give me a read out on how many mhash my system is working,
just says coneting but I know it is because it gets shares. whats wrong?

This is a bug with GUIminer and not linuxcoin. Just create a new phoenix miner and everything will work.

Thanks Math Man. I'm basically just trying to encrypt my wallet.dat, so I can email it to myself and make backups.

I'm also having difficulty because this is installed on a 4gb usb drive, and it seems to be partitioned so that the amount of space available for the block chain is too small. Only like 50mb are left now =/  I'm assuming I can't reallocate size without reformatting?

My god how big is your blockchain ? Are you sure you've got the right persistent size ?

I have a similar situation, where I have to run the first GPU on my first 5970 at a lower aggression.  Otherwise the other 5 GPUs suffer.  It's not anything to do with the CPU, as the CPU has 2-3% utilization.  Maybe it's the drivers or SDK.  

Does WORKSIZE=128 increase your hash rate at all?  Also, try the first GPU aggression at 9 or 10.  One of my rigs likes the first GPU at 9, while the other one likes it at 10.

This is normal behavior, you just need to find the happy medium for your system. It's all about tinkering with your settings until your system runs smoothly.

've tried phoenix and poclbm

right out of the box and stock the 3 cards are doing 260mhps with BFI_INT VECTORS WORKSIZE=256 AGGRESSION=12
If i set the first card to those flags it cranks the cpu to 100%.  This ends up reducing the performance of the other workers.
So I set the aggression down to 8 on the first card but now I can only get 150MHPS!!  What gives?
Currently I have to run the first card at 150mphs while the other 3 are running 260 completely stock.

I've tried all different flags, both kernels and the only way these cards do anything decent is with aggression=12
how can I run my primary card at aggression=12 without lagging the cpu?
I would love some advice on the issue, it may even be worth a tip, who knows.....

I will be sending a donation for the efforts put into linuxcoin, anyway.  Truely a great build.  Needs a little fine tuning/documentation but can get anyone who HAS A CLUE up and running in minutes.

Other than that this is my 2nd linuxcoin rig.  first one is 4x 5830's.  Worked flawlessy in minutes (maybe an hour)
whoever says getting linuxcoin to run is hard, obviously is not even familiar enough with windows, so probably should dodge linux altogether.....
that is coming from an avid windows users and a linux novice.  what parts are you guys having so much trouble with.  An easy windows tool to delete the partition and make a small first partition is EASEUS Partition Manager.  It is completely free for home use.  GPARTED is also another great program, just boot from the disc and make your two partitions.

Have you managed to update the catalyst to 11.7 ? Can you post the output of

Code:
dpkg -l fglrx*

You will have to send me some more information about your system and how you have things setup for me to diagnose ?

its a biostar p4m89-m7 with a c2d e6600
VIA P4M890
VIA VT8237R+chipsets
 2x1gb sticks of ram

lam is realtek rtl8201CL

and a XFX reference 6950 2gb

running off a 4gb USB key

I am sorry but you will have to remind me of the full situation ?

1.0-alpha will include 11.7 because of the SDK update it's a requirement. I'm hoping for a 11.9 release that fixes this CPU bug. It shouldn't affect mining performance.

@ drgr33n

Do you know why I can't use aticonfig with LinuxCoin coming from outside via SSH?

Code:
# DISPLAY=:0 aticonfig --lsa
No protocol specified
* 0. 08:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 6990
  1. 07:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 6990

* - Default adapter

# DISPLAY=:0 aticonfig --odgc --adapter=all
No protocol specified
ERROR - X needs to be running to perform ATI Overdrive(TM) commands

See also my post # 78 on https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25750.0;all

Have you tried this.. EDIT: made a quick correction. It appers the wiki is wrong Sad I will update as soon as possible.

Code:
ssh -X user@<yourip>
password: live
sudo su
chmod uog+rw /dev/ati/card*
xauth merge /home/user/.Xauthority
export DISPLAY=:0
aticonfig --odgc --adapter=all
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 06:11:56 PM

Is there a link to info about the difference between the default setting and the "persistant" setting? I heard that if I don't use persistant, that data can be destroyed including the wallet file? What are the differences between these modes?
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 07:03:24 PM

Is there a link to info about the difference between the default setting and the "persistant" setting? I heard that if I don't use persistant, that data can be destroyed including the wallet file? What are the differences between these modes?

The default or "live" boot will NOT save any data.  It's like booting a live cd of linux. The "persistant" boot will save data just like a hard drive.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: