Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:38:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 ... 417 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [OS] nvOC easy-to-use Linux Nvidia Mining  (Read 417954 times)
codereddew12

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 10:29:37 PM
Last edit: November 05, 2017, 10:48:55 PM by codereddew12

Your math doesn't make sence in real world. Either he run his 1070 at 100 or 150 wats PL, the hashrate for ETH will not increase, it will remain at 30-31 MH/s. So he is effectivly saving 50 watts per card while getting the same hashrate, what's wrong with that?
There is exactly 0 chance that you can cut the power consumption of any electronic component and receive the exact same output. If you could, Bitmain would already have an S11 on the shelves that uses 1 watt. If my math fails to make sense to you, it's likely because you don't even math, bro.

No one ever said the SAME exact output, so of course you're going to make assumptions to fit your (greatly warped may I add) perception.

150W gives me 31 Mh/s whereas 100W gives me 30.5 Mh/s so in all practicality it is essentially MORE EFFICIENT (as we've been trying to tell you) to do it this way. The only reason why I questioned if a lower PL was "bad" was based on what you guys were saying and making it seem like lower wattage was a "bad" thing. But I can see now that I obviously can't take what you say with any type of validity, but I guess people will firmly stand in what they think is correct even when they don't have a clue what they're talking about. So before you go making smart ass statements like the one below:

There is no part of me that will ever understand the idea behind taking 10 cards and intentionally turning them into 7  Roll Eyes

Maybe you should at least try put forth a worthwhile post that helps instead of trying to belittle someone in a topic you are obviously less versed in.

Also back to my original question:

By the way, a little off topic, but do you guys think it's ok to run 12 GPUs (all 1070s except for 2 which are 1060s) on two EVGA G3 850W PSUs? I downvolted all of the cards and each 1070 is right around 100W/piece and 1060s are roughly 80W. Been stable now for over a week, just wanted to get some feedback regarding this setup.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kk003

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 11:15:56 PM

Your math doesn't make sence in real world. Either he run his 1070 at 100 or 150 wats PL, the hashrate for ETH will not increase, it will remain at 30-31 MH/s. So he is effectivly saving 50 watts per card while getting the same hashrate, what's wrong with that?
There is exactly 0 chance that you can cut the power consumption of any electronic component and receive the exact same output. If you could, Bitmain would already have an S11 on the shelves that uses 1 watt. If my math fails to make sense to you, it's likely because you don't even math, bro.

No one ever said the SAME exact output, so of course you're going to make assumptions to fit your (greatly warped may I add) perception.

150W gives me 31 Mh/s whereas 100W gives me 30.5 Mh/s so in all practicality it is essentially MORE EFFICIENT (as we've been trying to tell you) to do it this way. The only reason why I questioned if a lower PL was "bad" was based on what you guys were saying and making it seem like lower wattage was a "bad" thing. But I can see now that I obviously can't take what you say with any type of validity, but I guess people will firmly stand in what they think is correct even when they don't have a clue what they're talking about. So before you go making smart ass statements like the one below:

There is no part of me that will ever understand the idea behind taking 10 cards and intentionally turning them into 7  Roll Eyes

Maybe you should at least try put forth a worthwhile post that helps instead of trying to belittle someone in a topic you are obviously less versed in.

Also back to my original question:

By the way, a little off topic, but do you guys think it's ok to run 12 GPUs (all 1070s except for 2 which are 1060s) on two EVGA G3 850W PSUs? I downvolted all of the cards and each 1070 is right around 100W/piece and 1060s are roughly 80W. Been stable now for over a week, just wanted to get some feedback regarding this setup.

I friend has 1070/100W MC 1160 and 31.4 Mh/s on etc and as you said running stable (in this case for weeks).
As said before the 1060 can usually run stable a 75W but I prefer 80 ~ 90.
Your PSUs have enough Watts as surely you know. I guess that if well connect they should run ok.
VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 03:07:11 AM

I cannot get nvOC 19.4 or 17 to work with the h110 btc pro mobo for the life of me, only can get one card to successfully mine when I plug 2 in it crashes.

any input/ help here? also is dstm miner going to be added?

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 04:17:06 AM
Last edit: November 06, 2017, 05:03:58 AM by fullzero

I cannot get nvOC 19.4 or 17 to work with the h110 btc pro mobo for the life of me, only can get one card to successfully mine when I plug 2 in it crashes.

any input/ help here? also is dstm miner going to be added?

Most likely problem is: you aren't powering the molex ports on the mobo and you haven't disabled the power warning setting in the bios.

When you don't intend to power the molex ports on the H110; attach a single gpu to the 16x slot  ( via riser or direct ), remove the storage device (usb or ssd ) boot the rig.  It will launch the bios.  Find the power warning setting and disable it.  After you have disabled it save and reboot; after the bios has fully reloaded.  Power off the rig and attach all risers / storage device.  power on

let me know if this is the problem

Edit:
I have read your earlier post where you explain you are using an atx psu for the 24 pin / cpu / molex and a server psu for the GPUs.  I highly recommend using a pico PSU in place of the atx psu (for the 24pin and CPU power ( you can use a 4pin with an H110 read the manual to see which side should be powered) and modifying the bios to not use the molex ports as above. (note if you use a pico ensure you don't power the molex ports on the mobo with it)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACJ45VN4104

and a 6pin pcie to barrel jack adapter like this:  ( or make your own one of these )

https://www.amazon.com/60cm-Express-5-5X2-5mm-Plugs-Gridseed/dp/B00MTI68IE

fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 04:49:38 AM

A few updates I've need to do since installing 1.4 that may help others:

Many errors in my syslog referencing timeout waiting for device - There is a hardcoded Sandisk drive in /etc/fstab that should be commented out:
Code:
UUID=55184403759586FB /mnt/55184403759586FB auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,ro 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-SanDisk_Cruzer_Blade_4C530001260812105231-0:0-part1 /mnt/usb-SanDisk_Cruzer_Blade_4C530001260812105231-0:0-part1 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,ro 0 0

Also, if you adjust wattage limits into the triple digits (more than 100w) the temp script seems to throw issues now.  Changing:
Code:
echo -n 117.00| tail -c -5 | head -c -3

to

Code:
echo -n 117.00| tail -c -6 | head -c -3

seems to bring things back to normal.

Still seeing lower hashrates than I did on version 1.1, due to cards using about 80% of their available power limit and not sure why.  Also seeing hostname errors and plenty of small other things on a vanilla build (literally just changed 5 items in 1bash) - v1.1 was rock solid, and while I love the idea of these new features, I value stability of mining operation above all else and it seems like we're going backwards a bit on that front.

I checked and I did malform the fstab; thanks for finding the error in the auto temp and letting me know about the fstab problem.  Smiley.

fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 04:52:46 AM

I have been spending a bit of time reading through all of the bash scripts that make up nvOC. I urge everybody to do that because then you will learn both how it works and how you may be to take advantage of some of the vast functionality that is offered. To make that easier to do, I found a python script "beautify_bash.py" that you can run against them (1bash, 2unix, 3main, etc.) to make them more readable.

https://github.com/ewiger/beautify_bash

It basically just reformats the code with the proper syntax indentation for loops and if statements. The first thing that I did with the 19-1.4 release the other day was to beautify all of the scripts, then make my personal miner tweaks to those versions and finally deploy those to my miners. I have found no issues from doing this. The basic steps to get it going are:

-Download the zip file to your PC, unzip it to get to beautify_bash.py
-Use WinSCP or suitable substitute to sftp it down to your rig(s) in /home/m1 directory
-Login to rig, make the script executable "chmod 750 beautify_bash.py"
-Execute against the scripts you use:
./beautify_bash.py 1bash
./beautify_bash.py 2unix
./beautify_bash.py 3main
./beautify_bash.py 4update
./beautify_bash.py IAmNotAJeep_and_Maxximus007_WATCHDOG
..etc

It will beautify the script and leave a copy of the original as <filename>~. Perhaps there is some reason for releasing the scripts with no syntax formatting as they are but I have yet to find it.

Hope this helps.

I have started to not use standard formatting with bash at all.  I wasn't really thinking about readability for others.  This script looks interesting; can probably save a lot of time when used systematically.
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 05:10:49 AM

ok.. so my usb stick gets corrupted about once a day now.. my mining rig already has a m.2 ssd i originally had windows on.  i would like to install NVOC on the ssd, however my other computer only has 1 m.2 slot which it boots from, so im trying to think of a way to install this OS..  the normal way of installing this with raw hdd copy would wipe the os thats completing the copy on the miner, is there a method of installing beside windows on the same drive in a different partition? and dual booting?  or is there a way to install this OS on my usb, then running a install like ubuntu does from a live session?  im really wishing i had a sata ssd on this rig. trying to find a work around is driving me nuts.

so, i guess there is no option for a workaround?

-1.4 should solve your problems.

I recommend using one of these adapters when using an SSD as your rig has less cables and it is easier to swap out:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SATA-Drive-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00HJZJI84

or any similar adapter.

thanks fullzero... i think you misunderstood my drive though.. i have a m.2 ssd, not a sata ssd.. and i have no other cumputer with a extra m.2 slot to write NVOC to it..  is there a way to write this os to this drive as a dual boot? if so then i could do that from a windows partition.  otherwise i have to way of installing this OS to the m.2.......

also, what is in 1.4 that you think will fix the issue?

You should be able to safely run -1.4 alongside windows; so long as you select the storage device with nvOC to boot.

I combine an adapter like this:

with an adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/QNINE-Adapter-Converter-SATA3-0-Desktop/dp/B01NBJJ34Q

to easily use m2 ssd's like usb keys.
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:14:27 AM

Dear fullzero, thanks for your hard work on nvoc. Have been using it for half a year already and very much pleased with it.
Are you planning to add BTG in the new release? Didn't see it in 1.4. Would be great.
Thanks a lot

I will add it to the next release.
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:18:20 AM

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
I want to participate and create web site with rig control (like on simplemining.net)
I can create website that manages rigs, website can generate full config bash file.
Modifications needed for nvOS is to make on boot to download new config from server and every few minutes make some requests to server to send statistics (hashrate / temreratures / miner console /etc ) and in reply server will return commands if rig must reboot or redownload config (by user request)

So i can make server part easily, who will participate? With whom i can talk about that?
 Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I think that its a really good idea, for non pro users and can be use as alternative for simplemining or ethos, but first of all we (all users of this rigs) should we have server  with some ddos protection or even CDN (can be ovh + cloudflare) if ofcourse it will be in "public" zone, because i can be also avalibe only in your local network...
I can put it on my server for start without ddos protection.
For start i need to communicate with some linux side developers =)

For getting new config simple wget can be used (ex wget http://address.com/get_config/user_login(from config)/mac_address(from system)/config.sh ) which will be generated on the fly based on user config on website (miner selection with parameters, overclocking etc, and all other configuration options which are available now)

fullzero?

simplemining's business structure is to make money out of it, hence the need for central server so they can control it.

nvOC is free/open source so there is no need for central server and download of config files from the central server.

There is no registered business and no liability nor inspiration to run secure server with ddos protection, fall back system, etc.

What happens if someone hacks your server and distribute/push new config files and make every nvOC rig mine for them? Will you compensate?

The idea of web interface is great and sooner or later will be implemented into nvOC but not as an interface to central server but local one. I should be able to login to my server's IP web interface and manage my rig trough any web browser.
I think we should steer the developement toward this.
Furthermore, we can add master/slave interfaces so that if you have multiple rigs, you will have one master to control all slave rigs.

Right?
NP, i can share code so users can deploy server part on their own central servers =)
The main idea is to make managing all rigs from one place (for example select all and set to mine BTCz for example to avoid making it one by one)

>@Dangerd,
>Sent you a pm and asked some questions with no reply
>I'm handling nvoc web info,
>And would love to help and make it better
Sent you reply, just saw pm notification in mail.

I'm sure a lot of members will like this.  I do think its better to have a local network server or master computer that pushes configs to rigs vs having a website.  The website would be a target; while keeping it intra-network should provide almost all of the same functionality without exposing everyone to a central threat vector.

Let me know when you guys have something you want me to test or integrate.   Grin
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:19:44 AM

Tried my best to search for an answer, but no luck so far...

has anyone successfully gotten rid of the login loop issue?

Ive console logged in, did a re-image, tried different versions, and every ubuntu based fix i could find online (clear and .Xauthority fixes)

Board is a HP z400 board

Try this:
press CTRL- ALT- F1 together, terminal window will open. Login as m1, pass miner1

type:
Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo reboot

Please reply with results

After login in ssh, try the others commands given in page 246 (dpkg ...)

and try to réinstall latest nvidia drivers with

Code:
sudo apt install nividia-387

or try to install nvOC V0019-1.4

Unfortunately did not get rid of the login loop

Does it go into a loop with -1.4?
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:26:47 AM

It's really nice to add more features to nvOC and I would encourage everyone to try and contribute to this great project but I would strongly advice against using unnecessary extreme writing in logs to accomplish the proposed feature. Especialy recording the screen in screenlog...

You see people complainig every day of corrupted USB sticks, freezing, running out of space, boot problems, etc. USB stick as a medium is not designed for such operations, constant writing to USB stick is not recommended, it messes the controller, makes USB perform very slow after a while and kills memory cells which leads to corruption and lock-ups.

If nvOC was explicitly recommended as SSD/HDD OS, the logs would be fine but the reality is that 90% of people use nvOC from USB sticks.

To all devs: please avoid usage of logs as much as possible or at least log as little as possible.

Hint: if you want to show output from the miner in your script/program/telegram/web page (definetely a nice feature to show), record the output from the miner (or nvidia api) into memory then show it in your program on a per need basis. This is more easily done with PHP and Perl but it can be accomplished in Bash as well. Record stdout and stderr into rotating array (you can use shift for the array). You can record 10, 20, 100, even 500 lines and you won't run out of memory, then show the live output from the array into your featured program.

We miners are spending thousands on our rigs and when it comes to stability and life span we forget the most important part and thats where the OS is installed on, we think small and go cheap with a 5-10$ USB when we can have much smoother system with a 30$ SSD.

Using USB as daily use is not recommended in any distro, The most important  difference other than USB read/write limit is there's no way for a USB drive to mark bad cells as 'do not use'  whereas the SSD may develop bad areas it can ignore them. With a USB drive one cell goes bad and the whole drive is useless.

I'm Not saying that you shouldn't use a USB for bootable OS, just that it's not a good idea to have it as your main boot drive and only use them for diagnostic / testing purposes.
No mining system should be run from USB as a daily hardcore mining system, but run it on usb, test OS and see if you like it, then install it on SSD.

I think mining with nvOC on USB is only good for those who want to mine when their pc is not in use, so they boot with usb, mine for a while then reboot back to their main OS...

I agree. I have to say that if system is using a hdd or ssd (better) it should not have any problem with log files as long as the system is healthy. If system has a very high cpu load/gpu instability etc, then is better not to log, at less in a productive system.
Linux is good at login but system must be healthy.
Got a rig (installed in a old hdd) with high cpu load (2 cores and 2.5 cpu load average) and log files for miners go around 150MB+... no problem. I don't think this would work on a usb stick.

I agree, nvOC should be run from SSD and USB sticks should be used for evaluation or short term use only. Maybe fullzero should note/recommend this in the OP.

However, as a programmers we should do due diligence and optimize the code to run as smooth as possible including running off USB sticks Wink

I agree with this.  I have added the following to the OP:

Image to a 16gb or larger USB key or SSD

I recommend using these USB to Sata power and data adapters:

with an SSD

This is what I will be doing from now on with my rigs.  An ssd will usually image in 4 minutes or less; and is easy to attach / remove or swap with the usb adapter.  I have had a lot of USB keys die over time; and really like how fast I can deploy a new image to a rig with SSD + sata-to-usb adapter.

USB keys are good for testing different versions; or for trying out nvOC for the first time.  But in the long run an SSD will likely outlast multiple USB keys.
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:27:59 AM

I'm a newb linux user, not sure if this is the best place to ask but I'm having issues with one of my systems running nvOC.. My rig keeps rebooting itself after a few hours of running and when I go to access it to see what happened all my mobo settings have been reset to default and it asks me if I want to run setup or to boot as normal. Anyways, I'm unsure where to go to access linux crash logs or how to read them.

Once I reboot the rig back into Linux everything runs as normal.

Still having issues with this if anyone has a moment to help me out locating/interpreting logs

set:

Code:
CLEAR_LOGS_ON_BOOT="NO" 

and the logs will not be deleted at boot; after making this change / rebooting / mining for a bit: select one of the nvOC logs in the /home/m1 directory or click the system log icon on the left of the screen.
fullzero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:29:47 AM

Hi guys can you help me how to add more algo on SALTER_NICEHASH? I want to add cryptonight so that it can automatically switch to that algo pls tnx tnx tnx Grin

Hi Fullzero or anyone here figure it how? i tried to copy the settings of other algo and change the settings but it gets buggy and got insane income result lol

I will add looking into modifying SALFTER_NICEHASH_PROFIT_SWITCHING to work with XMR/ Cryptonight.
codereddew12

Activity: 36

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:25:46 AM

anyone use any of those rack server cases? If so, what are your temperatures like? debating if they're worth the money or not
elsystem

Activity: 46

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:41:16 AM

On several occasions the OS crashes with kernel issues (cannot start init etc.) on nvOC 19-1.4 on an MSI Z170A M5 with 7 1070 GPUs, running on a 32gb USB drive. I've had to rewrite the OS several times. It works fine for a couple of days and then I get the same message again.

Any ideas what could the issue be?
risinqsun

Activity: 672
Merit: 273

-

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:55:12 AM

Thank you for your project !! i recommend this project . I think best !! Smiley

Best Regards.
damNmad

Activity: 378
Merit: 104

nvOC forever

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:28:54 AM
Last edit: November 06, 2017, 11:03:39 AM by damNmad

Now I can see PIRL has been listed on whattomine, if you are interested to mine it, please follow the below instructions and add it :

Change the coin first in 1bash

COIN="PIRL"

If you want to use the below suggested pool, make sure you set this option to 'DOT'

DOT_POOL_FORMAT_or_FORWARD_SLASH_POOL_FORMAT="DOT"    # DOT  or  SLASH    # formerly ETHERMINEdotORG

Add the PIRL address & pool details in 1bash

PIRL_WORKER="$WORKERNAME"
PIRL_ADDRESS="yourPirlAddress"
PIRL_POOL="pirl.pool.sexy:6006"

Add this in 3main at right place

if [ $COIN == "PIRL" ]
then

if [ $ETHMINER_or_GENOIL_or_CLAYMORE == "GENOIL" ]
then
HCD='/home/m1/eth/Genoil-U/ethminer'

PIRLADDR="$PIRL_ADDRESS/$PIRL_WORKER"

if [ $DOT_POOL_FORMAT_or_FORWARD_SLASH_POOL_FORMAT == "DOT" ]
then
PIRLADDR="$PIRL_ADDRESS.$PIRL_WORKER"
fi

screen -dmSL miner $HCD -S $PIRL_POOL -O $PIRLADDR:x -SP 1 -U

if [ $LOCALorREMOTE == "LOCAL" ]
then
screen -r miner
fi

BITCOIN="theGROUND"

while [ $BITCOIN == "theGROUND" ]
do
sleep 60
done
fi

if [ $ETHMINER_or_GENOIL_or_CLAYMORE == "ETHMINER" ]
then
HCD='/home/m1/eth/ethminer_12dev2/ethminer'

then
fi

then
screen -r miner
fi

BITCOIN="theGROUND"

do
sleep 60
done
fi

if [ $ETHMINER_or_GENOIL_or_CLAYMORE == "CLAYMORE" ]
then

HCD=/home/m1/eth/$CLAYMORE_VERSION/ethdcrminer64

then
fi

screen -dmSL miner $HCD -epool $PIRL_POOL -ewal $PIRLADDR -epsw x -mode 1 -allpools 1 -dbg -1 $PIRL_EXTENSION_ARGUMENTS

then
screen -r miner
fi

BITCOIN="theGROUND"

do
sleep 60
done
fi
fi

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
papampi

Activity: 686
Merit: 140

Linux FOREVER! Resistance is futile!!!

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 10:32:04 AM

Now I can see PIRL has been listed on whattomine, if you are interested to mine it, please follow the below instructions and add it :

Change the coin first in 1bash

COIN="PIRL"

Add the PIRL address & pool details in 1bash

PIRL_WORKER="$WORKERNAME"
PIRL_ADDRESS="yourPirlAddress"
PIRL_POOL="pirl.pool.sexy:6006"

Add this in 3main at right place

if [ $COIN == "PIRL" ]
then

if [ $ETHMINER_or_GENOIL_or_CLAYMORE == "GENOIL" ]
then
HCD='/home/m1/eth/Genoil-U/ethminer'

then
fi

then
screen -r miner
fi

BITCOIN="theGROUND"

do
sleep 60
done
fi

if [ $ETHMINER_or_GENOIL_or_CLAYMORE == "ETHMINER" ]
then
HCD='/home/m1/eth/ethminer_12dev2/ethminer'

then
fi

then
screen -r miner
fi

BITCOIN="theGROUND"

do
sleep 60
done
fi

if [ $ETHMINER_or_GENOIL_or_CLAYMORE == "CLAYMORE" ]
then

HCD=/home/m1/eth/$CLAYMORE_VERSION/ethdcrminer64

then
fi

screen -dmSL miner $HCD -epool $PIRL_POOL -ewal $PIRLADDR -epsw x -mode 1 -allpools 1 -dbg -1 $PIRL_EXTENSION_ARGUMENTS

then
screen -r miner
fi

BITCOIN="theGROUND"

do
sleep 60
done
fi
fi

Nicely done and fast as always
I just saw it last night

Thanks a lot damNmad

papampi

Activity: 686
Merit: 140

Linux FOREVER! Resistance is futile!!!

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 10:34:44 AM

On several occasions the OS crashes with kernel issues (cannot start init etc.) on nvOC 19-1.4 on an MSI Z170A M5 with 7 1070 GPUs, running on a 32gb USB drive. I've had to rewrite the OS several times. It works fine for a couple of days and then I get the same message again.

Any ideas what could the issue be?

First thing is to set up nvOC on USB only for testing purposes ... not for long run.
Get a 30$ SSD, and check again.

USB keys are good for testing different versions; or for trying out nvOC for the first time.  But in the long run an SSD will likely outlast multiple USB keys.

We miners are spending thousands on our rigs and when it comes to stability and life span we forget the most important part and thats where the OS is installed on, we think small and go cheap with a 5-10$ USB when we can have much smoother system with a 30$ SSD.

Using USB as daily use is not recommended in any distro, The most important  difference other than USB read/write limit is there's no way for a USB drive to mark bad cells as 'do not use'  whereas the SSD may develop bad areas it can ignore them. With a USB drive one cell goes bad and the whole drive is useless.

I'm Not saying that you shouldn't use a USB for bootable OS, just that it's not a good idea to have it as your main boot drive and only use them for diagnostic / testing purposes.
No mining system should be run from USB as a daily hardcore mining system, but run it on usb, test OS and see if you like it, then install it on SSD.

I think mining with nvOC on USB is only good for those who want to mine when their pc is not in use, so they boot with usb, mine for a while then reboot back to their main OS...

Tigel

Activity: 66

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:39:10 AM
Last edit: November 06, 2017, 11:01:18 AM by Tigel

Just installed this nvoc on one of my rigs, looks good. So questions though (no, I did not read all the pages..):

- Is there a way to limit telegram messages to be sent only when there is something wrong, i.e. reboot of server or miner is needed ?
- My rig has some stability issues, I am mining Ethereum with ethminer. In order to track the GPUs causing problems they would have to be run as separate instances/sessions, (xmos does this by default). Any plans for implementing such feature? If not maybe I try with claymore or plug in xmos USB stick, adjust overclock settings and copy them to nvOC.

--
Tigel

Pages: « 1 ... 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 ... 417 »
  Print  

Jump to: