Bitcoin Forum
December 12, 2017, 07:10:42 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE][TUTORIAL][XMR,ETH,ETN]How To Mod Bios RX470/570/480/580 VEGA Mining 💰  (Read 165004 times)
Wolf0
Legendary

Activity: 1764

Miner Developer

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 01:47:07 PM

Actually he and greatauror were talking about a specific samsung IC. Although he is no doubt also using a custom kernel whereas everyone else is posting their hashrate reported by claymore in win, so his increases don't necessarily all come from optimized timings.

Like I say I have a few Elpidas and none of mine will even do more than 2020. The lowest 2 only do 1960/1970.

I do benchmarks using Claymore's linux miner for this very reason!

Code:
Donations: BTC: 1WoLFdwcfNEg64fTYsX1P25KUzzSjtEZC -- XMR: 45SLUTzk7UXYHmzJ7bFN6FPfzTusdUVAZjPRgmEDw7G3SeimWM2kCdnDQXwDBYGUWaBtZNgjYtEYA22aMQT4t8KfU3vHLHG

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
Branko

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 02:13:07 PM

Actually he and greatauror were talking about a specific samsung IC. Although he is no doubt also using a custom kernel whereas everyone else is posting their hashrate reported by claymore in win, so his increases don't necessarily all come from optimized timings.

Like I say I have a few Elpidas and none of mine will even do more than 2020. The lowest 2 only do 1960/1970.

I do benchmarks using Claymore's linux miner for this very reason!

So should I try harder or be happy with 29.7 on elpida?
Card is pretty hot because its in ordinary PC, that probably steals
some hashing power

ETH 0x3719149549a9fe8906053263a0e478ca3867739a
BTC 16xWY7NdYijcBsuEHFKb2LAEJvzyRnnfuK
bardacuda

Activity: 402

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 02:21:22 PM

@Wolf0

Ahh good to know. That makes it easier to compare then.

I remembered I asked you earlier about how to set up Linux and you said any use any recent kernel and amdgpu drivers and not amdgpu-pro, but you need the OpenCL runtime. Is that is still true now that there is a DAG fix? Is 4.10 a recent enough kernel? How do you get the OpenCL runtime? I read a comment somewhere that you are supposed to install the amdgpu-pro drivers with the '--compute' flag. Is that correct?

I really wanna get Linux setup and running so I can move all my rigs over, but unless I can get it hashing on par with Windows it's not worth it. I managed to get it running with amdgpu drivers but I was getting pre-DAG-fix hash rates, and ended up breaking my install trying to mess with it. I think that had something to do with blacklisting the radeon driver though (the primary GPU in the system is an R9 270).

Also are there any publicly available tools to monitor voltage/clocks/temps/fanspeeds, etc? lmsensors doesn't find anything and conky and grkrellm don't seem to be able to see voltages.
Branko

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 02:30:33 PM

@Wolf0

I remembered I asked you earlier about how to set up Linux and you said any use any recent kernel and amdgpu drivers and not amdgpu-pro, but you need the OpenCL runtime. Is that is still true now that there is a DAG fix? Is 4.10 a recent enough kernel? How do you get the OpenCL runtime? I read a comment somewhere that you are supposed to install the amdgpu-pro drivers with the '--compute' flag. Is that correct?

I really wanna get Linux setup and running so I can move all my rigs over, but unless I can get it hashing on par with Windows it's not worth it. I managed to get it running with amdgpu drivers but I was getting pre-DAG-fix hash rates, and ended up breaking my install trying to mess with it. I think that had something to do with blacklisting the radeon driver though (the primary GPU in the system is an R9 270).

Also are there any publicly available tools to monitor voltage/clocks/temps/fanspeeds, etc? lmsensors doesn't find anything and conky and grkrellm don't seem to be able to see voltages.

Why not use one of the mining distros that  already have all that?

bardacuda

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 02:37:53 PM

Well I don't want to pay for it either.  Grin Isn't EthOS like $30? I'm sure I could find a torrent or something but then I probably wouldn't trust it. What do you recommend?

A large part of the reason for doing this though is just to learn linux, so I kinda wanna stick to a normal distro (either Manjaro, Debian, or Xubuntu) and also use it for gaming/browsing/email/video, etc.
Wolf0
Legendary

Miner Developer

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 02:43:30 PM

I am trying to get a stable hash rate form an rx 470 nitro+ mining edition with samsung memory.

I have 8 cards running with the same bios (1750 straps copied to 2000), but one is getting waay to many incorrect shares. The cards are running at 1900 mem and 1050 core I have tried different frequencies, but could not find a stable one for that one card.

Any tips on what to try next? Should I maybe try a different bios?

Thanks
I am trying to get a stable hash rate form an rx 470 nitro+ mining edition with samsung memory.

I have 8 cards running with the same bios (1750 straps copied to 2000), but one is getting waay to many incorrect shares. The cards are running at 1900 mem and 1050 core I have tried different frequencies, but could not find a stable one for that one card.

Thanks

I can clear 31MH/s+ on a Sapphire Nitro 470 4G (113-2E353FU.M4Z) which has K4G41325FE GDDR5 chips. Amusingly, it appears I need to work harder on reducing the computations in Ethash... I have memory speed to spare, but core needs bumping to go much further.

@Wolf0

You will need some skill to get it going really well - driver shit is irritation. Anyways - you got sysfs for clocks, temps, and fanspeeds. Voltages, there's NOTHING public that actually works (i.e. isn't either totally broken or completely inaccurate), although my little pet project will do it for GCN 2 & GCN 3.

Code:
Donations: BTC: 1WoLFdwcfNEg64fTYsX1P25KUzzSjtEZC -- XMR: 45SLUTzk7UXYHmzJ7bFN6FPfzTusdUVAZjPRgmEDw7G3SeimWM2kCdnDQXwDBYGUWaBtZNgjYtEYA22aMQT4t8KfU3vHLHG
bardacuda

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 02:46:25 PM

You will need some skill to get it going really well - driver shit is irritation. Anyways - you got sysfs for clocks, temps, and fanspeeds. Voltages, there's NOTHING public that actually works (i.e. isn't either totally broken or completely inaccurate), although my little pet project will do it for GCN 2 & GCN 3.

Well lay some skills on me bro!  Cheesy
Wolf0
Legendary

Miner Developer

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 02:54:40 PM

Well lay some skills on me bro!  Cheesy

My approach for my Vega-only mining image (about to be retired) basically built the whole fuckin' ROCm stack from AMD's github.

Code:
bardacuda

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 02:57:31 PM

But, like...I just wanna get hashing on Polaris with the dag fix. Nothing fancy. Even if it's 1MH/s below Windows without completely breaking the install I would be happy.
Bakhtra

Activity: 107

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 03:11:11 PM

Really? You can't hit 30 with THAT? It's not only the most performant of the ones I've worked on, it's also the one most tolerant to whack settings... What clocks you at, and what timing set?

I'm at 2030MHz, and even default straps, with no changes at all, won't go over 2050 without errors in hwinfo

After bad experience with Hynix version of Gigabyte RX560, it wouldn't surprise me if I'd remove cooler and find
6GHz instead 7GHz chips there...and your lucky 31+ MH/s maybe even have 8GHz chips, so don't judge Cheesy

You think I need luck to get 31MH/s+? With 8Gbps Samsung, I can clear 34MH/s.

We were talking about Elpida, though...I managed to get 16.3MH/s on RX560 with 7GHz micron, I guess thats close to your
34 on 8GHz Samsung Smiley  (relatively speaking, considering is half RX580 in everything)

How about Hynix 8GB H5GC8H24MJR for ETH and XMR?
Wolf0
Legendary

Miner Developer

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 03:49:24 PM

But, like...I just wanna get hashing on Polaris with the dag fix. Nothing fancy. Even if it's 1MH/s below Windows without completely breaking the install I would be happy.

OH. For some reason I'd thought you wanted Vega support. Just get either AMD's staging kernel code, or a newer kernel version (it may have been upstreamed already) and you in business. The amdgpu module simply then needs to be loaded with the parameter vm_fragment_size set to 9.

Code:
greatauror28

Activity: 148

Ethereum Miner

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:08:26 PM

All this talk and my timing strap isn't yet to be found! Come on wolfie, throw us some love!  Grin

Speaking of Elpida memory, I got a timing strap around here that can get my cards to do 31.3 Mh highest. Although only 4 out of 8 cards could do that at 2100 mem clock.

One more thing is that it's unstable if applied to an 8-gpu rig.

8x Rx580 | 241 ETH 6000 DCR | 1250W @ wall
bardacuda

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:16:03 PM

naw I know you can't really talk about Vega. I take it you sold all the optimizations to some farm with the stipulation that you can't tell anyone else about it? Man I bet they are getting like 70Mh per card.

Anyway what I did was this:

wget -qO - http://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/debian/rocm.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo sh -c 'echo deb [arch=amd64] http://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/debian/ xenial main > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rocm.list'
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install rocm

#edit grub
sudo nano  /etc/default/grub
#2MB fragments for Ellesmere are enabled with a grub option:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="amdgpu.vm_fragment_size=9"

sudo update-grub
sudo reboot

Then it would boot with ROCm kernel 4.11, but wouldn't hash. Said something about needing DRM 3.x.x and I had v2.5. Thought that was because the 270 was still on the radeon driver (even though I was only trying to mine on the 570 which was using the amdgpu driver according to lspci -v). That's when I ended up breaking the install messing with it (I think blacklisting the radeon driver broke it). It would still run with the default 4.10 kernel and it would hash, but without the dag fix (only 24 MH/s when it should have been getting 29+).

Anyhow I'll try it again. I may have fucked myself trying to install the amdgpu-pro driver so maybe I'll skip that part this time. Thanks for the infos!
Wolf0
Legendary

Miner Developer

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:21:41 PM

naw I know you can't really talk about Vega. I take it you sold all the optimizations to some farm with the stipulation that you can't tell anyone else about it? Man I bet they are getting like 70Mh per card.

Anyway what I did was this:

wget -qO - http://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/debian/rocm.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo sh -c 'echo deb [arch=amd64] http://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/debian/ xenial main > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rocm.list'
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install rocm

#edit grub
sudo nano  /etc/default/grub
#2MB fragments for Ellesmere are enabled with a grub option:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="amdgpu.vm_fragment_size=9"

sudo update-grub
sudo reboot

Then it would boot with ROCm kernel 4.11, but wouldn't hash. Said something about needing DRM 3.x.x and I had v2.5. Thought that was because the 270 was still on the radeon driver (even though I was only trying to mine on the 570 which was using the amdgpu driver according to lspci -v). That's when I ended up breaking the install messing with it (I think blacklisting the radeon driver broke it). It would still run with the default 4.10 kernel and it would hash, but without the dag fix (only 24 MH/s when it should have been getting 29+).

Anyhow I'll try it again. I may have fucked myself trying to install the amdgpu-pro driver so maybe I'll skip that part this time. Thanks for the infos!

I'm allowed to say that no -  I've sold nothing. My owner ordered me not to talk about it, as a result, I do not. And oh GOD. I don't touch shitbuntu, so on that part - can't help you.

Code:
bardacuda

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 04:30:45 PM

Well if I spend another day or two beating my head against a wall with it I'm gonna try Manjaro again.
stef_stef

Activity: 120

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 05:45:03 PM

Thanks

I can clear 31MH/s+ on a Sapphire Nitro 470 4G (113-2E353FU.M4Z) which has K4G41325FE GDDR5 chips. Amusingly, it appears I need to work harder on reducing the computations in Ethash... I have memory speed to spare, but core needs bumping to go much further.

I am only getting 27.3 on those, at 1100W for 8 cards. Would you mind sharing your bios and core/mem settings?

Thanks
Wolf0
Legendary

Miner Developer

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 06:02:25 PM

Thanks

I am only getting 27.3 on those, at 1100W for 8 cards. Would you mind sharing your bios and core/mem settings?

Thanks

Core clock must currently be a minimum of 1225 to *barely* hold 31MH/s consistent. The memory clock I used with my timings was 2200; with the way I did the timings, this memclock is conservative.

EDIT: For the record, this test was not a Claymore run - meaning that if you're using Claymore, your minimum core clock required to achieve 31MH/s (assuming identical memory performance) will be somewhat higher.

Code:
Branko

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 07:24:30 PM

Core clock must currently be a minimum of 1225 to *barely* hold 31MH/s consistent. The memory clock I used with my timings was 2200; with the way I did the timings, this memclock is conservative.

EDIT: For the record, this test was not a Claymore run - meaning that if you're using Claymore, your minimum core clock required to achieve 31MH/s (assuming identical memory performance) will be somewhat higher.

Thats similar to micron on rx560...need about 1250MHz core for max hash rate compared to 1100MHz for hynix

m1dz0

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:21:01 PM

Come on mr. Wolf0, give us some love  Smiley
Mattthev

Activity: 252

⛏ Indeed Miners ⛏

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:37:15 PM

Have used Claymore kernel or your own?

Guides:RX 470/480/570/580, VEGA Bios Mod Tutorial - SRB, PBE 💰💲│How to Mine Monero / Sumokoin + Miners Downloads ⛏How to Mine AEON (Cryptonote-light) + Miners Downloads ⛏
Guides:How to Mine ⚡Electroneum + Miners Downloads ⛏

Need bios mod, performance timings or help? Cool E-mail: monerobiosedit@gmail.com│ETH 0xA266f3158E84A70Cd2AD2cE9F0Da3143C0392A73│BTC  36aU6vUWxTG7UigKEpZzXmB6k6jy2D7xVY
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.