Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:35:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 [427] 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 ... 1154 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [4+ EH] Slush Pool (slushpool.com); Overt AsicBoost; World First Mining Pool  (Read 4381856 times)
scouzi

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:25:59 PM

Seems that ASICMiner is now mining SOLO.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
valladex

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:27:20 PM

cheers slush.

must have got more of those positive vibes.   Cool
madkind

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:27:37 PM

Thank you Slush!
Lucko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:28:12 PM

I just started mining here a couple days ago with my first ASIC (blade).  Took me a while to get it hashing right because I had some wifi issues interfering but so far so good!

But where are you buying blade?  Am having 300.000,00 rubles for gear, but not finding available.
Look at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=204030.0

But if you ask me this price is to hi.
sgbullion

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 06:46:09 PM

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I start at the beginning of every round because I leave my miner running 24/7 and my score goes up and up and up and my reward goes down not sure why there is an inverted relationship between the two. I know I have a slow hash rate but I've got new mining equipment coming so I figured start slow to learn the process.  Huh

Stupid question vs 2.0 I take it that the lack of response to my question is a sign of the complete stupidity of the question or I'm being ignored so could someone please let me know were to find the answer thanks
Lucko

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:50:08 PM

Hi Slush nice to see you back. I was really worried that something happened to you.

I've detected problems in bitcoind 0.8.1 where high number of transactions in memory pool caused 100% CPU load on the pool server. Because of this, submitting of new blocks were delayed for tens of seconds and caused high invalid rate.

Sipa (the bitcoin developer) implemented fix for this problem (https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/2677) which I just tested and implemented to the pool server. I'm watching the pool closely, but the CPU load dropped from 100% back to 2-3%, so everything looks fine so far...
Who told me that I'm an idiot when I say that this might be a problem? Will he apologise?

Also when you are sure that this is fixed can you then please look at the stratums. I think there is also something wrong with them. It looks like they are not recording all the shares. CGminer log was showing much more shares that they were reported on statistic page for some blocks.

This might help:

Stumbled on to where my missing shares may have gone...
Using Windows and GUIMiner to do the mining.

I'm keeping this as brief as possible and ask if you want to converse with me, send me a message from in the system ( click name, compose a message to me and not start some flame war in the thread please )

I've had weird issues with GUIMiner and connecting to Slush's pool using the ' default ' dropdown to connect ( screen blank, system freezes, java suddenly needing to be wiped/re-installed ) so decided to use Slush's mining proxy to ensure some kind of buffer between me and a known Slush's server... Think i may have stumbled on the missing share issue..

first connection to stratum.bitcoin.cz ( the following is pulled lines from the DOS window and yes, full lines )

2013-05-18 08:18:14,015 WARNING proxy mining_proxy.main # Trying to connect to S
tratum pool at stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333

2013-05-18 08:19:23,453 INFO proxy client_service.handle_event # New job f80 for
 prevhash 936c2a37, clean_jobs=True

2013-05-18 08:22:17,125 INFO proxy client_service.handle_event # New job f85 for
 prevhash 043ec4ad, clean_jobs=True

2013-05-18 08:36:07,500 INFO proxy client_service.handle_event # New job f94 for
 prevhash ea0a27c2, clean_jobs=True

all the false, etc, were removed to be easier to read.  The first ' True ' i can't tell if it loaded the work or if it accepted the share as GUIMiner only showed as 2 ' shares ' and nothing for my account page.  However when connecting with the next stratum the edited shows the following.

2013-05-18 08:57:37,296 WARNING proxy mining_proxy.main # Trying to connect to S
tratum pool at stratum2.bitcoin.cz:3333

2013-05-18 09:06:32,437 INFO proxy stratum_listener.submit # [78ms] Share from '
nybbler905.slowworker' accepted, diff 1

and GUIMiner shows 1 block, 2 shares, https://mining.bitcoin.cz/accounts/profile/ shows 1 share...

not using stratum.bitcoin.cz any more.

I also noticed that from time to time some of my miners were jumping over all stratums and getwork to backup pool. Completely same line and configuration. Load balancers?
KNK

Activity: 692
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:50:15 PM

I've detected problems in bitcoind 0.8.1 where high number of transactions in memory pool caused 100% CPU load on the pool server. Because of this, submitting of new blocks were delayed for tens of seconds and caused high invalid rate.

Is it related (or has a chance to be) to the high memory footprint i have observed with 8.1 lately - it goes to 1.8GB almost immedeately (in few minutes) and in less than a week i need to restart it because i get OOM errors on a 4G RAM machine?

P.S. there is a similar (huge delay on block submission) problem to the terracoind i am running, which is 8.0 based i think.

Mega Crypto Polis - www.MegaCryptoPolis.com
BTC tips: 1KNK1akhpethhtcyhKTF2d3PWTQDUWUzHE
Lucko

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:52:53 PM

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I start at the beginning of every round because I leave my miner running 24/7 and my score goes up and up and up and my reward goes down not sure why there is an inverted relationship between the two. I know I have a slow hash rate but I've got new mining equipment coming so I figured start slow to learn the process.  Huh

Stupid question vs 2.0 I take it that the lack of response to my question is a sign of the complete stupidity of the question or I'm being ignored so could someone please let me know were to find the answer thanks
I would answered you if I noticed you. Can you tell me your hashrate?
vs3

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 06:54:58 PM

Round 18133 (block 237220) seems is also invalid ... hopefully that's the last one and Slush's fix will take care of that.

slush (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 06:55:10 PM

Also when you are sure that this is fixed can you then please look at the stratums. I think there is also something wrong with them.

I'm experiencing performance problems with some EC2 instances and I'm solving this as well. Sometimes I need to restart pool software on EC2, which causes miners hoping to another IP from DNS roundrobin.

slush (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 06:55:57 PM

Round 18133 (block 237220) seems is also invalid ... hopefully that's the last one and Slush's fix will take care of that.

Unfortunately the pool generated this invalid just few minutes before I applied the patch. Hopefully it will be fine now, bitcoind is in a good mood now :-).

KNK

Activity: 692
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:01:02 PM

Who told me that I'm an idiot when I say that this might be a problem? Will he apologise?

It wasn't me and i don't remember such post from you, but it doesn't matter too much in this case:
All pools are using the same version 8.1 right now as there is just no other choice, so all of them get the same (similar) delay and all of them had increased chance for invalid blocks (reason for the global bad luck lately?), so it was not a problem for the Slush's pool only.

Mega Crypto Polis - www.MegaCryptoPolis.com
BTC tips: 1KNK1akhpethhtcyhKTF2d3PWTQDUWUzHE
sgbullion

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 07:14:44 PM

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I start at the beginning of every round because I leave my miner running 24/7 and my score goes up and up and up and my reward goes down not sure why there is an inverted relationship between the two. I know I have a slow hash rate but I've got new mining equipment coming so I figured start slow to learn the process.  Huh

Lets just say not much higher than a cpu, not doing for coins right now doing to learn how it works and if it is worth the effort. understanding the beast before I try to feed it. it's around 50. I dont quit during the block and mine the whole time, I've had over a hundred shares one moment ( yes I know very low) and have a very small payout (.000078489)ish and then the next time I have 54 shares and a lower score and end up with .0002345.. only differences are that the first block took longer and I had a huge score and the second block only took like a half hour and a much smaller score. And currious why cgminer say's that I reported 350 shares and pool says only 1 or 2 shares and I've had the miner say 1k shares found and still only 1 or two reported in the pool,with a very low rejection rate of less than 1.%
vs3

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 07:25:49 PM

Lets just say not much higher than a cpu, not doing for coins right now doing to learn how it works and if it is worth the effort. understanding the beast before I try to feed it. it's around 50. I dont quit during the block and mine the whole time, I've had over a hundred shares one moment ( yes I know very low) and have a very small payout (.000078489)ish and then the next time I have 54 shares and a lower score and end up with .0002345.. only differences are that the first block took longer and I had a huge score and the second block only took like a half hour and a much smaller score.

You need to understand a bit more about how Slush's pool works and you (and many other) get confused with the PPS (pay-per-share) concept. Slush's pool is not a PPS one.

The detailed description of how it works is on the pool's home page - look for a text in big yellow letters that says "How does bitcoin pool work?".

In essence each share gets a "score". The score is highest at the round end, and earlier shares get lower scores. The older the share the lower the score. And that progression is not linear but exponential, so score goes down to almost zero very quickly. From observations I think the cut-off is about an hour - for shares older than an hour you get absolutely no score.

For a slow miner like you that may result in a noticeable variance - sometimes your last share could be just seconds before the end (and will get a high score), sometimes it could be a minute before the end (and will get a lower score). On some very short rounds you may not even have time to submit a single share.

sgbullion

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 07:26:45 PM

BTW thanks for putting up with us jr members but also wanted to say that people that are upset about the reduction in the payout amount should also look at the exchange rate for btc which has gone up to over 122 and stayed there for several days now. The decrease in payouts should also be compensated for by and increase in the value of each bit coin. In the begining of the process when the reward was 50 btc the conversion was not much over 1:1 so with market forces and supply and demand at work your actual income should be constant over time.
sgbullion

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 07:29:29 PM

Lets just say not much higher than a cpu, not doing for coins right now doing to learn how it works and if it is worth the effort. understanding the beast before I try to feed it. it's around 50. I dont quit during the block and mine the whole time, I've had over a hundred shares one moment ( yes I know very low) and have a very small payout (.000078489)ish and then the next time I have 54 shares and a lower score and end up with .0002345.. only differences are that the first block took longer and I had a huge score and the second block only took like a half hour and a much smaller score.

You need to understand a bit more about how Slush's pool works and you (and many other) get confused with the PPS (pay-per-share) concept. Slush's pool is not a PPS one.

The detailed description of how it works is on the pool's home page - look for a text in big yellow letters that says "How does bitcoin pool work?".

In essence each share gets a "score". The score is highest at the round end, and earlier shares get lower scores. The older the share the lower the score. And that progression is not linear but exponential, so score goes down to almost zero very quickly. From observations I think the cut-off is about an hour - for shares older than an hour you get absolutely no score.

For a slow miner like you that may result in a noticeable variance - sometimes your last share could be just seconds before the end (and will get a high score), sometimes it could be a minute before the end (and will get a lower score). On some very short rounds you may not even have time to submit a single share.

no need to insult me, not everyone is as brilliant as you are and I read that before I posted. And the score changes everything so your answer made no sense to me other than basically saying "shut up you iddiot an just accept what you get" so could someone just explain it to me in english or am I just to assume that stupid people like me should not do this. sheesh...  Angry
Lucko

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:29:48 PM

It wasn't me and i don't remember such post from you, but it doesn't matter too much in this case:
All pools are using the same version 8.1 right now as there is just no other choice, so all of them get the same (similar) delay and all of them had increased chance for invalid blocks (reason for the global bad luck lately?), so it was not a problem for the Slush's pool only.
Well yes and no. At least one admin did a fix the same day. But I think that it was more then one...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1976.msg2181326;topicseen#msg2181326

And no at that time I was called something else and I don't fell the need to find it. I think it was a spoiled child or something like that. It doesn't mater... Nice to see that I was right on everything technical...

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I start at the beginning of every round because I leave my miner running 24/7 and my score goes up and up and up and my reward goes down not sure why there is an inverted relationship between the two. I know I have a slow hash rate but I've got new mining equipment coming so I figured start slow to learn the process.  Huh

Well 50 is not much so you have a bigger variance. You are doing less then a share per minute right? On a long block score is decaying faster so you will get much less if you don't send shares in in at the weary end and much more if you do. You can't just look at the shares. You must look at the score to. You can find total score on a statistic page and score for your miner at account page. From time to time this score will get reseated and sometimes some errors happens. Now that Slush is back I'm sure they will get fixed but if they don't get fixed till 50 conformations you might write something in this forum... But error at your speed would probably look like 0.00000000 a big variances are normal. When you get more speed you will see much less difference but still if you end mining before the end of a block difference will be big.
digital

Activity: 490

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:39:08 PM

no need to insult me, not everyone is as brilliant as you are and I read that before I posted. And the score changes everything so your answer made no sense to me other than basically saying "shut up you iddiot an just accept what you get" so could someone just explain it to me in english or am I just to assume that stupid people like me should not do this. sheesh...  Angry

You read way too much into his answer.  His answer is the correct answer.  It may be too technical, but it is what it is.  What he is trying to say is that because of the way Slush's pool works, your payouts can vary tremendously, especially with a slow miner.

I really didn't see him insulting you in his post, it looked to me like he was legitimately trying to help.

If I help you out: 17QatvSdciyv2zsdAbphDEUzST1S6x46c3
References (bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=): 50051.20  50051.100  53668.0  53788.0  53571.0  53571.0  52212.0  50729.0  114804.0  115468  78106  69061  58572  54747
Lucko

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 08:02:19 PM

You read way too much into his answer.  His answer is the correct answer.  It may be too technical, but it is what it is.  What he is trying to say is that because of the way Slush's pool works, your payouts can vary tremendously, especially with a slow miner.

I really didn't see him insulting you in his post, it looked to me like he was legitimately trying to help.
Yes the answer was correct but he used an attitude so he started defence mechanism in him... That didn't help him to understand it.
vs3

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 08:22:53 PM

Yes the answer was correct but he used an attitude so he started defence mechanism in him... That didn't help him to understand it.

Neither harm nor insult was meant in my previous post. Apologies to those that got offended.

The issue is that scoring is not explained in a "for newbies" language anywhere, and on top of that the web site reports "shares" which confuses people to think that "number of shares" matters. Which it doesn't - it is the score that does, but your score is not published on the stats. And what's even worse - the pool' home page speaks about "shares" and has a the formula, but everything is in a rather vague form - neither explained properly and technically correctly, nor simplified enough, and then it forwards you to a post on the forum with even more technical language ... I can understand why someone can get completely confused.

Then people ask on the forum, and we keep repeating the same stuff over and over and over - this very question has been discussed several times in the last 10-15 pages alone. But people are impatient and won't go through more than a few pages, and when they don't find the answer quickly they ask on the forum.
And we repeat that stuff over and over again (which may have to do with the "attitude" factor). Unfortunately the Search option is not really an option for beginners either - knowing what to search for is half of the answer.

If Slush is willing to put a Wiki page about those questions - I'd be glad to contribute and add content. I can probably add also a few simple charts to illustrate the scoring - as they say "picture is worth a thousand words".

Pages: « 1 ... 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 [427] 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 ... 1154 »
  Print  

Jump to: