Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:04:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 108 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Official FutureBit Moonlander 2 Driver and Support Thread  (Read 71412 times)
Game_of_Coins

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 08:31:21 PM

One of my sticks from bitshopper is allways at cca. 10% HW errors. 8.5% was lowest I saw after 60mins and it stays arround 8.5-8.6%. I didn't tune anything but tried another way. Started at lowest clock @384, than @450... all the way up to 700, but allways is the same. VCORE=0.77V, VMEM=0.84V. I use Sipolar A-400 hub, only with this one stick in it for testing. Is it stick problem or should I try to tune it? Just need direction 'cause stock voltages looks ok, at least for clock speeds up to 600MHz...

Few sticks I have come across show this issue. Its rare, but the IO coms sometimes spit out garbage that is picked up as a hardware error, unfortunately no way to filter this out. As long as they hash fine you can ignore it (you just have to figure that 8.5% is 0% error for your stick when tuning).
Yes, stick is accepting shares, notable in bfgminer and on pool stats. And yes, it always starts with HW error no.1 on new restart, so it makes sense. Thanks.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Game_of_Coins

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 08:33:07 PM

I have found the ‘- - benchmark’ setting to be very good at getting my HW below 1% for any clock speed
Thanks for suggestion!
JAUER

Activity: 9

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 08:53:53 PM

It used to be hovering around 4.2 - 4.8 although now is around 2.3... any ideas?

Has anything changed in your setup? Low hash rate is usually because you don't provide enough power to device (added another USB device?) or the device is overheating. You need better cooling or turn down the frequency. What happens when you unplug for 5 minutes... does hash rate go back up?
Nothing has changed... I tried unplugging it and rebooting the whole thing - nothing. The power was working fin before, and nothing has changed, so I can't think what it would be...

Thats normal, especially if its been running straight for a really long time. Some cores will destabilize and shutdown eventually. Driver has a fix for a complete core stall, but not drop in hashrate yet. Will have this fix in on the next release.

Thanks - the MLD support has been the best for any product I have EVER bought... ever. Full stop. Thanks for being so on the ball!
JAUER

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:02:35 PM

It used to be hovering around 4.2 - 4.8 although now is around 2.3... any ideas?

Has anything changed in your setup? Low hash rate is usually because you don't provide enough power to device (added another USB device?) or the device is overheating. You need better cooling or turn down the frequency. What happens when you unplug for 5 minutes... does hash rate go back up?
Nothing has changed... I tried unplugging it and rebooting the whole thing - nothing. The power was working fin before, and nothing has changed, so I can't think what it would be...

Thats normal, especially if its been running straight for a really long time. Some cores will destabilize and shutdown eventually. Driver has a fix for a complete core stall, but not drop in hashrate yet. Will have this fix in on the next release.

And just to be clear - the cores can come back online right?
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2095
Merit: 1396

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 10:53:47 PM

yes, but you will need to manually restart it currently.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
achtung082

Activity: 358
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:03:57 AM

I have one stick that stopped working when swapping to another hub. It was working perfectly, pulled it from one hub and installed in another to balance the power load and it won't hash anymore.

Anyone got any tips to troubleshoot?

Support sidehack projects: 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
My Sales Wallet BTC:bc1qxtxsc86lessnrsm52gf7qgmqle75htdr03zdd7 - LTC:LNLKyKkGNCJakZudGjc2qg26yYz7oeo92k - ETH:0xDf1b17872D9Ff22F04270BbDA13556B3E1649E27
iamwillard

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 06:57:24 AM

I ordered and received 2 Moonlander 2s from asicpuppy. One of them works fine but the other seems to be dead on arrival. No matter how I connect it to my pc, the miner software will not detect the device. I reached out to asicpuppy support but haven't received any response. Anyone else have experiences with asicpuppy's support that can help? Thanks!

Does it show up at all under your device manager? Does the yellow or red led flash at all when you start up bfgminer?

It does show up under device manager. The D2 led stays on and no other led flashes when bfgminer is on.

This is frustrating, I have not received any response from ASICpuppy and I still have a defective unit. I've sent numerous support emails and none of them have been replied to. Has anyone had any luck contacting ASICpuppy? Is there any way else besides their support email?

Some further observations. When I start bfgminer, the D2 led stays on and D1 led blinks once. The component at L1 seems to have separated from it's base. I can press on it and it will move down slightly. I can see a slight gap when looking from the side.
JAUER

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 01:27:23 PM

yes, but you will need to manually restart it currently.

Hmmm...
The restart hasn't worked - it's just stayed around that same 2.7. And the odd thing is, the miner hasn't actually been running straight ever for that long. I always give it a 5 min break every day (used to be twice a day) in fear of it overheating (I know it's stupid, but just a paranoia). Is there any other possible explanation?
lennyNO

Activity: 76

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 02:30:24 PM

So I have a question that I cannot seem to find the answer.

OS in Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

None of the readme's talk about the -S MLD: and --set MLD commands.  In detail anyway. I usually like to try to figure out things on my own but not a lot of help in the readme.

1) How do I set different clock speeds per MLD?  I spotted a few posts that talk about COM ports but cannot quite understand it. I realize I don't use -S MLD:all but what is the format per MLD?  Maybe an example to set MLD 0 to clock 796 and MLD 1 to 600?

2) Can you set one MLD for a different coin than another?

3) If you have to mine the same coin, can you use a different pool per MLD?

Sorry for questions that may have already been answered.  I tried reading through all the posts but 55 pages your eye go screwy Wink
If there is a readme on this or a post you can refer me to, that would be great too!

Not sure what readme you are refereing to, this thread -- all the 50+ pages -- IS the readme!, and answers all your questions!! And yes it is all possible, very easily.

The first thing you have to realize is that the link between physical USB port, virtual COM port, and MLD # is not fixed.
You need to open your computers device manager, plug in the first MLD into some USB port, and see which COM port pops up on the virtual com ports in the device manager (usually COM3). Make note of it. Then do the same for the 2nd MLD etc (usually COM4). This is before you have started bfgminer.
Then, you can set different clockspeeds for different com ports in one startup script, or create two scripts, one for each of the two com ports, one script with one clockspeed/one pool/one coin, and the other for the other clockspeed etc. The latter approach is needed for different pools/coins anyway, but I also prefer it for different clockspeeds as it is then easier to see which MLD in bfgminer is actually supposed to run at the desired hashrate. You just start each startup script (bat file) as normal.

Now the magic that you have been waiting for: the -S MLD command?? To skip over 53 pages of support thread should really cost you 0.1LTC straight into my wallet, but I will help you for free : -S MLD:\\.\COM3 instead of -S MLD:all for the script that is to mine the MLD that appeared in virtual com port #3 (use the actual number that showed up in device manager). The other script would thus have -S MLD:\\.\COM4 for example. The two scripts can have different clockspeed settings and different pools as per normal.   

Finless

Activity: 44

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 05:30:59 PM

So I have a question that I cannot seem to find the answer.

OS in Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

None of the readme's talk about the -S MLD: and --set MLD commands.  In detail anyway. I usually like to try to figure out things on my own but not a lot of help in the readme.

1) How do I set different clock speeds per MLD?  I spotted a few posts that talk about COM ports but cannot quite understand it. I realize I don't use -S MLD:all but what is the format per MLD?  Maybe an example to set MLD 0 to clock 796 and MLD 1 to 600?

2) Can you set one MLD for a different coin than another?

3) If you have to mine the same coin, can you use a different pool per MLD?

Sorry for questions that may have already been answered.  I tried reading through all the posts but 55 pages your eye go screwy Wink
If there is a readme on this or a post you can refer me to, that would be great too!

Not sure what readme you are refereing to, this thread -- all the 50+ pages -- IS the readme!, and answers all your questions!! And yes it is all possible, very easily.

The first thing you have to realize is that the link between physical USB port, virtual COM port, and MLD # is not fixed.
You need to open your computers device manager, plug in the first MLD into some USB port, and see which COM port pops up on the virtual com ports in the device manager (usually COM3). Make note of it. Then do the same for the 2nd MLD etc (usually COM4). This is before you have started bfgminer.
Then, you can set different clockspeeds for different com ports in one startup script, or create two scripts, one for each of the two com ports, one script with one clockspeed/one pool/one coin, and the other for the other clockspeed etc. The latter approach is needed for different pools/coins anyway, but I also prefer it for different clockspeeds as it is then easier to see which MLD in bfgminer is actually supposed to run at the desired hashrate. You just start each startup script (bat file) as normal.

Now the magic that you have been waiting for: the -S MLD command?? To skip over 53 pages of support thread should really cost you 0.1LTC straight into my wallet, but I will help you for free : -S MLD:\\.\COM3 instead of -S MLD:all for the script that is to mine the MLD that appeared in virtual com port #3 (use the actual number that showed up in device manager). The other script would thus have -S MLD:\\.\COM4 for example. The two scripts can have different clockspeed settings and different pools as per normal.  

Thanks!  If I had .1 LTC I would.  I have not even gotten close to that yet on litecoinpool. Smiley
I did get through all 56 pages and I saw how to do it in linux.  I missed the \\.\COMx for windows in all of the posts.
I did see an example of MLD@COMx but not the \\.\COMx.
So for the clock speed of 2 of these sticks on the same pool lets say stick 1 is COM2 and stick 2 is COM3.
I assume I have to do this for both the -S MLD and the --set commands?
Like this:
-S MLD:\\.\COM2 --set MLD:clock=600 -S MLD:\\.\COM3 --set MLD:clock=796

Thanks,
Bob

GEBucky
Copper Member

Activity: 127
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 08:29:50 PM

Did an interesting (to me anyway) test. I have 6 Moonlanders - 3 on a Mac and 3 on a Rasp Pi both using Plugable hubs. Running at 832 on Mac and 700 on Pi - voltage about .83 on all ML. Those seem to be the sweet spots for me and they are hashing fairly close to each other and have been running for days without a hiccup. I took 6 2Pacs running on a different pi on an Eyeboot hub running at freq 150ghz. I pointed both sets of 6 to Multipool Digibyte ports - one of the few coins that can be mined with both SHA and Scrypt. After three days, the Moonlanders have generated about 15% more shares than the 2Pacs. Was pretty surprised by that. Given the pretty significant difference in power draw (ML quite a bit lower) its a good data point on just how efficient these little guys are!

That said - when you add up the cost of all of this it really has to be viewed from the lens as hobby not a money maker. I didn't do a benchmark against my Antminer L3s or T9s for obvious reasons. Think I would need roughly 55 ML to get the same output as one mildly overclocked L3, which can be had for less than $2K all in. Haven't done the math but guessing a ML rig that would but out 550mhz would run about $6K (guess I did just run the math - lol). Doesn't take anything away from the Moonlander, but does put it into context. Nice thing is you can run the ML in the house as they don't sound like a small jet engine about to take off. Or put in a $40k solar system to not get $4K utility bills every month.
bucketofsocks

Activity: 83
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 11:53:00 PM

does anyone sell replacement fans for these things? I have one that started making a helluva noise, still mines though for now

the fans are easy to fix.. take the sticker off the pack and using a needle carefully pull off the rubber o ring holding the shaft in place..
slide the fan part out and using some white lithium grease lube it up and put it back in.. no need to replace the o ring the magnet will hold it in place.

tried this and broke the fan, I bought a fan on amazon but its not as powerful cause the chip gets hotter, anyone know where I can get a direct replacement fan?
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 05:20:27 AM

does anyone sell replacement fans for these things? I have one that started making a helluva noise, still mines though for now

the fans are easy to fix.. take the sticker off the pack and using a needle carefully pull off the rubber o ring holding the shaft in place..
slide the fan part out and using some white lithium grease lube it up and put it back in.. no need to replace the o ring the magnet will hold it in place.

tried this and broke the fan, I bought a fan on amazon but its not as powerful cause the chip gets hotter, anyone know where I can get a direct replacement fan?

broke what part?
bucketofsocks

Activity: 83
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 08:53:42 AM

the plastic housing, I figured I could just push the blade off cause I couldn't get the o-ring to budge
thomasvk

Activity: 15

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 08:27:30 PM

Hello,

I've been running a ML2 for about 2 days, pretty much at stock settings (upped freq to 620) on a macbook pro usb3 port.
It has been running stable for that time, but suddenly the hashrate dropped to 2.1 - 2.5 MH, it used to be stable at 3 - 3.2 MH.

Am I missing something right here? My setup didn't change (no other devices attached).
Game_of_Coins

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 08:52:22 PM

Hello,

I've been running a ML2 for about 2 days, pretty much at stock settings (upped freq to 620) on a macbook pro usb3 port.
It has been running stable for that time, but suddenly the hashrate dropped to 2.1 - 2.5 MH, it used to be stable at 3 - 3.2 MH.

Am I missing something right here? My setup didn't change (no other devices attached).
For stable 3 MH you will need more than 500 mA. Can macbook pro usb port suplly current more than that?
thomasvk

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 08:56:07 PM

Hello,

For stable 3 MH you will need more than 500 mA. Can macbook pro usb port suplly current more than that?

I have no idea, I can only tell what I saw these last 2 days.

This is what system info says

Current Available (mA):   500
Current Required (mA):   100
Extra Operating Current (mA):   0

Apple docs:

Apple computers equipped with USB 3 provide up to 900 mA (milliamps) at 5 V (Volts) to most Apple USB peripherals as well as all third-party USB peripherals that comply with USB specifications.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204377
Game_of_Coins

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 09:01:09 PM

Hello,

Apple docs:

Apple computers equipped with USB 3 provide up to 900 mA (milliamps) at 5 V (Volts) to most Apple USB peripherals as well as all third-party USB peripherals that comply with USB specifications.
According to docs, it can provide from 500 mA up to 1100 mA, depends how much attached device is in some way compatible with oem apple devices. Try to lower clock speed @540... Dropping hasrate is usually all about lack of juice from usb port...

EDIT: 620 is not available clock speed listed on first page.
thomasvk

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 09:42:01 PM

Hello,

Apple docs:

According to docs, it can provide from 500 mA up to 1100 mA, depends how much attached device is in some way compatible with oem apple devices. Try to lower clock speed @540... Dropping hasrate is usually all about lack of juice from usb port...

oh wow..
Must be a typo, I'll see what fixing this does.

Thank you.
thomasvk

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 07:22:39 AM
Last edit: February 19, 2018, 08:30:42 AM by thomasvk

Hello,

Apple docs:

oh wow..
Must be a typo, I'll see what fixing this does.

Thank you.

It's on 625 now, but it seems it doesn't matter much. I used to get 3.2MH on 600 and stock settings, but hey better than nothing Wink
I'm mainly doing this to support and because I'm interested in it, not to get rich.
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 108 »
  Print  

Jump to: