Bitcoin Forum
December 09, 2016, 09:37:48 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 ... 376 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1050 TH] BitMinter.com [1% PPLNS,Pays TxFees +MergedMining,Stratum,GBT,vardiff]  (Read 776001 times)
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 917

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 01:05:42 PM

I was thinking about bitminter's recent bad luck. Could it be because only on bitminter LP resets the work, every time a new nmc block is found, for bitcoin work as well? For example, on ozcoin you could have an option to ignore LP on namecoin blocks and continue working with "old" work until new block is found on bitcoin network. In theory, this shouldn't affect the chances, but in practice bitminter has a negative luck for some time now...or always below expected if you look at the reward graph on bitminter's website.
You know the theory, so you've answered your own question. Resetting work (or bitcoind, or the server itself for that matter)  has no effect on the probability of finding a valid block. The chance to find a block depends on only 2 things: hashrate and difficulty.

BTC: 1DJVUnLuPA2bERTkyeir8bKn1eSoRCrYvx
NMC: NFcfHSBBnq622pAr1Xoh9KtnBPA5CUn6id
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 1582

I charge NOTHING for current signature.

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 01:08:28 PM

Not sure if your idea is correct.
 A lot of people myself included struggle with this:

1)the current difficulty is set still for 11 days.
2) the current network hash moves up and down constantly
3) bitminters hash moves up and down constantly

I have been told by some heavy hitters that bitminters  Hash to current difficulty is what matters in assessment of luck. The rest of the network does not affect what bitminter should find in blocks in a day.  I don't quite understand this.  Right now we are hashing 5.5 out of the networks 74. and the difficulty is 8.9 mill.  While the diff has been at 8.9 the network hash had as much as 85Th hash and bitminter has has as high as 6.05th hash.

5.5 divide by 74 is  .0743   our share of the network. difficulty is 8.9 mill

6.05 divide by 84 is  .072   our share of the network. difficulty is 8.9 mill  

so looking at the two examples I think the way the luck is calculated right now uses our hash against the difficulty. this would mean we should get more blocks with the 6.05  since it is larger then 5.5 and the difficulty is  constant.     While I see the consistency in this I think it is not accurate  since our network share is better  with the smaller  hash I would think we would get more blocks with   that number.

Look at it from another viewpoint.  Lets say BTC guild the biggest pool had a technical issue crashes and the crash lasts 1 day. lets say it even affects the miners in it and they are all locked out for a day.  so for this day we are at 6th the network difficulty is set at 8.9 mill   but the network now has  40Th not 74TH.  so our share is 6 divide by 40 = .15     For this day I feel we would get more blocks then the day before when the network had 74Th and we had the same 6th.  I have been told this is not true since the hash of us is still 6 and the difficulty is still 8.9 mill.

But my training is accounting  not a programming or statistical degree.   I can say this 2 or 3 times when the network had a big drop off in hash and we did not drop we had great luck.

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

██
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1960

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 01:10:15 PM

I was thinking about bitminter's recent bad luck. Could it be because only on bitminter LP resets the work, every time a new nmc block is found, for bitcoin work as well? For example, on ozcoin you could have an option to ignore LP on namecoin blocks and continue working with "old" work until new block is found on bitcoin network. In theory, this shouldn't affect the chances, but in practice bitminter has a negative luck for some time now...or always below expected if you look at the reward graph on bitminter's website.
You know the theory, so you've answered your own question. Resetting work (or bitcoind, or the server itself for that matter)  has no effect on the probability of finding a valid block. The chance to find a block depends on only 2 things: hashrate and difficulty.

Bitminters luck was better than median this week, and although the previous three weeks were worse median they weren't as bad as BTCGuild or Ozcoin.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 01:13:29 PM

while typing my answer.   you mention hashrate and difficulty as the kings.

not to disagree  but I don't still understand why our total network share does not affect our blocks.  

seems to me 6 out of 70 will do better then 5.9 out of 80.  I  still fail  to understand and have tried to understand why this ratio does not apply in some way.  

██
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 01:14:54 PM

[....]

Two ways to calculate your expected earnings per second

1. (best method) yourhashrate / 2^32 / difficulty * bitcoinreward
2. yourhashrate / networkhashrate * network blocks per second * bitcoinreward

You were forgetting how blocks per second changes when the network hashrate increases and difficulty stays the same. And don't forget the part variance plays.

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 02:21:20 PM

[....]

You were forgetting how blocks per second changes when the network hashrate increases and difficulty stays the same. And don't forget the part variance plays.

thank you,    I can see that my idea correlates with method number 2. Although your explanation is quite clear compared to my effort to express the same thing.

Yeah variance in a short time period can be quite a lot. I have seen 1 block in 14 hours and then 14 blocks in the next 14 hours.

██
kano
Legendary

Activity: 1932

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 03:36:25 PM

[....]

Eh what?

The network hash rate affects your expected earnings? How? Details please ...
Difficulty obviously does, but the network?

Pool: https://kano.is BTC: 1KanoiBupPiZfkwqB7rfLXAzPnoTshAVmb
CKPool and CGMiner developer, IRC FreeNode #ckpool and #cgminer kanoi
Help keep Bitcoin secure by mining on pools with Stratum, the best protocol to mine Bitcoins with ASIC hardware
DrHaribo
Legendary

Activity: 1974

Bitminter.com Operator

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 05:31:15 PM

New beta version of BitMinter client is out, with BFL ASIC support.

Here's a video of it with a BFL Jalapeno: https://plus.google.com/u/0/107253423193517853418/posts/PQuAMcQnq6g

▶▶▶ Bitminter.com - Your trusted mining pool since 2011.
SnitraM

Activity: 40

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 05:52:05 PM

Eh what?

The network hash rate affects your expected earnings? How? Details please ...
Difficulty obviously does, but the network?

He doesn't say that, I think, because (the average of) 1 / networkhashrate * network blocks per second
should be constant for a certain difficulty.

1 and 2 above should be (approximately) equal.
DrHaribo
Legendary

Activity: 1974

Bitminter.com Operator

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 06:03:46 PM

The simple way to understand mining: When you are mining the hashes you get are random numbers. If the number is higher than the current network difficulty, then you have a valid block.

Only two things influence success at mining. The difficulty (the number you are trying to beat) and the hash rate (how many numbers you produce per second).

Other people's mining will only influence future difficulty, because they cause more (or fewer) blocks per hour to be produced, which is the deciding factor for the next difficulty.

▶▶▶ Bitminter.com - Your trusted mining pool since 2011.
bitcoinperson

Activity: 27

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:01:07 AM

Did the auto cash out threshold get lowered recently?
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 1862

Revolution will be decentralized

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 09:11:09 AM

I would like some numbers about the pool's luck (in the last day/week/long term/current block), or a line of the actual luck compared with the expected instead of all those dots.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 11:42:27 AM

I would like some numbers about the pool's luck (in the last day/week/long term/current block), or a line of the actual luck compared with the expected instead of all those dots.

A line of actual luck won't tell you anything unless you can compare it to something - for example a confidence interval of likely "luck" values. For the dots, if they look widely distributed and not bunched up the top or the bottom, then that's normal "luck".

The only accurate way to measure "luck" over a period of time to to work out the negative binomial CDF for the combined shares submitted for the combined blocks solved. Using that measure, BitMinter's weekly "luck" over the last months hasn't been outside the expected range.

mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:24:54 AM

A line of actual luck won't tell you anything unless you can compare it to something - for example a confidence interval of likely "luck" values. For the dots, if they look widely distributed and not bunched up the top or the bottom, then that's normal "luck".

The only accurate way to measure "luck" over a period of time to to work out the negative binomial CDF for the combined shares submitted for the combined blocks solved. Using that measure, BitMinter's weekly "luck" over the last months hasn't been outside the expected range.

He's not the only one who has a hard time understanding the dot chart.  I like the way Ozcoin does it, very clear and shows performance vs luck.  I struggle every time I look at Bitminter's chart and I'm never sure I see anything useful in it.

M

MMinerMonitor author, monitor/auto/schedule reboots/alerts/remote/MobileMiner for Ants and Spondoolies! Latest (5.2). MPoolMonitor author, monitor stats/workers for most pools, global BTC stats (current/nxt diff/USD val/hashrate/calc)! Latest (v4.2) 
Buyer beware of Bitmain hardware and services.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 12:31:26 AM

He's not the only one who has a hard time understanding the dot chart.  I like the way Ozcoin does it, very clear and shows performance vs luck.  I struggle every time I look at Bitminter's chart and I'm never sure I see anything useful in it.

M

It's a  toss up between usability an misinterpretability.  BitMinter's stats can't be misinterpreted but there's a minimum of knowledge you need (basic uni level stats) before you can understand it.

Ozcoin's  charts are more intuitively understandable, but much more easily misinterpreted to mean something that they don't since there's no way to know if a long round is unusually long or not.

Edit: The reason you don't "see anything useful" is probably because the "luck" has not been at all unusual for BitMinter. You'd see something useful if something unusual was happening.

mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:55:16 AM

He's not the only one who has a hard time understanding the dot chart.  I like the way Ozcoin does it, very clear and shows performance vs luck.  I struggle every time I look at Bitminter's chart and I'm never sure I see anything useful in it.

M

It's a  toss up between usability an misinterpretability.  BitMinter's stats can't be misinterpreted but there's a minimum of knowledge you need (basic uni level stats) before you can understand it.

Ozcoin's  charts are more intuitively understandable, but much more easily misinterpreted to mean something that they don't since there's no way to know if a long round is unusually long or not.

Edit: The reason you don't "see anything useful" is probably because the "luck" has not been at all unusual for BitMinter. You'd see something useful if something unusual was happening.

The only thing I remember from statistics is they can be made to prove whatever you want to prove. Smiley

M

MMinerMonitor author, monitor/auto/schedule reboots/alerts/remote/MobileMiner for Ants and Spondoolies! Latest (5.2). MPoolMonitor author, monitor stats/workers for most pools, global BTC stats (current/nxt diff/USD val/hashrate/calc)! Latest (v4.2) 
Buyer beware of Bitmain hardware and services.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 01:14:43 AM

M

The only thing I remember from statistics is they can be made to prove whatever you want to prove. Smiley

M

Just as well we're talking about probability and not statistics Tongue

GuiltySpark343

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:07:01 PM

Why is my payout so low?

I'm doing about 2 GH/s, and with other pools I have earned about 0.1 to 0.12 BTC/day. But I mined for a whole day on BitMinter and only earned 0.036 BTC.

Any ideas why so little earned?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Ƀ:17wbDetEw2aESM5oWXbm5ih9NSdDruyWNT
Isokivi

Activity: 924

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 05:08:29 PM

Why is my payout so low?

I'm doing about 2 GH/s, and with other pools I have earned about 0.1 to 0.12 BTC/day. But I mined for a whole day on BitMinter and only earned 0.036 BTC.

https://bitminter.com/blocks

Luck has been bad for the past day, as usual variance.

[edit]

With current hashrate of 5910140Mhps and difficulty of 10076292.8834

Bitminter should hit just under 12 blocks a day on average.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1008

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 05:26:34 PM

Why is my payout so low?

Just give it some time.

Pages: « 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 ... 376 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.