Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:39:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 521670 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 05:29:34 AM

why do we get this on version check:

Code:
cypher@ubuntu:~$ bitcoind getinfo
bitcoin is very out of date and has been removed.
Please see upstream sources at https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/
or the PPA at https://launchpad.net/~bitcoin/+archive/bitcoin
cypher@ubuntu:~$
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 05:31:11 AM

Code:

bitcoin moved to the ppa you have to install then you can use apt-get

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 05:47:35 AM

Code:

PPA and 0.9.3 already installed and running. Why don't "bitcoind getinfo" return version info like normal?  
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 05:50:45 AM

Code:

PPA and 0.9.3 already installed and running. Why don't "bitcoind getinfo" return version info like normal? 

thats odd have you tried
bitcoin-cli getinfo

btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 04:04:50 PM

Code:

Do you have both bitcoin-qt from the PPA and bitcoind from the Ubuntu repo installed? Do a "dpkg -l bitcoin*", if you have both "bitcoin-qt 0.9.3" and "bitcoind 0.3.24" installed, then do a "sudo apt-get upgrade bitcoind" to upgrade it to the PPA version.
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 04:59:21 PM

Okay, tried to update armory through the .deb file 13.10.
I'm running Linux Mint 16 petra.

it gave me an error and told me I had to run sudo apt-get install -f from the terminal.
It wouldn't let me open a terminal window, so I restarted the system.

Instead of booting to the Linux Mint logon screen, it now gives me the Ubuntu 13.10 startup screen but never gets to logon.

I went into linux mint recovery and did the sudo apt0get install -f from there, but rebooting  the system still gives me a stuck screen that shows ubuntu 13.10.

Any ideas?

I would guess (just a guess though) that something was messed up before you installed the new .deb, and that installing the .deb triggered something. In other words, it seems unlikely that this is an Armory issue...

I don't know much about desktop environments/X on Linux, but maybe this will help. After booting, switch to a terminal screen with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and log in. Take a look inside these logs to look for anything suspicious:

Code:
less /var/log/syslog
less /var/log/boot.log
less /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Like I said, I probably can't help, maybe someone else here can... my honest opinion: you're probably better off seeking support in a Mint or Ubuntu forum.
paranoidx

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 02:53:19 AM

I went ahead and installed the newest version of mint.
I then reinstalled bitcoin-core through the ubuntu ppa.
Now when I'm trying to run armory it is asking for an installation directory..
does anyone one know where it gets installed through a PPA install?
or am I gonna have to download and install the linux zipped file?
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 03:24:11 AM

Use the Secure Downloader within Armory.  It was designed to make this easy.  And it's especially easy on Linux:  two ways to get to it:

(1) Announcements tab at the bottom
(2) Help->Update Software

Select Ubuntu and 32/64 as appropriate.  Click on Bitcoin Core 0.9.3.  When it's done downloading, it will automatically check the digital signatures on it and then adjust your settings to use it.  Just restart Armory.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 04:05:53 AM

Code:

Do you have both bitcoin-qt from the PPA and bitcoind from the Ubuntu repo installed? Do a "dpkg -l bitcoin*", if you have both "bitcoin-qt 0.9.3" and "bitcoind 0.3.24" installed, then do a "sudo apt-get upgrade bitcoind" to upgrade it to the PPA version.

why should i need bitcoin-qt?  

everything's working fine, btw.  i have 0.9.3 core and 0.92.3 running just fine and top command shows bitcoind running.  i also already have the PPA installed.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 10:24:12 AM

Code:

everything's working fine, btw.  i have 0.9.3 core and 0.92.3 running just fine and top command shows bitcoind running.  i also already have the PPA installed.

the bitcoind rpc command functionality has been removed, you have to now use bitcoin-cli for rpc calls from the command line

Code:
bitcoin-cli help

will give you the full list.

Code:
bitcoind

is now used only for launching the daemon.

btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 04:21:58 PM

When I installed the bitcoind package from the PPA in LM17, it installed to /usr/bin (so that's the installation directory for the PPA version).

My fresh install of Armory was able to automatically locate it there, so it's a little strange that your Armory didn't automatically locate it, but maybe you're not doing a fresh install?

Regardless of all of this, I'd just follow etotheipi's instructions, they look best all around to me.
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 04:46:09 PM

You're right, you don't need it, I was just trying to guess what might be going on such that you have bitcoin running from the PPA at the same time as having the bitcoind stub from the Ubuntu repo, and this was the best reason I could imagine...

As marcus_of_augustus already noted, it shouldn't affect you much. If you want to keep troubleshooting anyways, please run these three commands (while bitcoin is running) and paste the results back here.

Code:
COLUMNS=120 dpkg -l bitcoin*
file `which bitcoind`
pgrep bitcoin | xargs -Iz ls -l /proc/z/exe
Amnesia187

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 06:47:49 PM

Sounds awesome, much respect for minds like that, when i get started and can afford i will donate some as well for sure.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 02:25:54 PM

Sometimes it feels like you used the "time remaining" algorithm from Windows 95, such as when the database rebuild progress displays 1.5 minutes remaining for 10 minutes.

One thing I've learned over the course of building Armory is that those time-remaining bars are very difficult to get right.  Especially when it comes to things like downloading data that fluctuates in speed rapidly.   I have an extensive background in signal processing, yet I still can't get it right.

On the other hand ,there is a flaw in my algorithm -- it seems to use CPU-timings instead of wall-timings.  Typically this results in the system reporting that it took 2 sec to move 1% of the bar, instead of 3.2 or whatever.  This leads to very optimistic estimates.  I've been meaning to go in and figure out what is causing that, but I haven't had it on my priority list for a while.
I figured out the set of conditions on my systems under which the time-remaining bars are accurate and not accurate.

Time-remaining is accurate(*) when there is sufficient memory allocated to the machine such that it doesn't have to use swap.

If the machine starts swapping, then the time to complete a blockchain scan increases (apparently) without bound, but the estimates do not.

That would fit with using CPU timings, because the process is not using using CPU while it's waiting for memory to be moved to and from swap.

* "accurate" means error less than 1 order of magnitude
yuriygeorge

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

I hate my family

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 06:48:03 PM

I apologize if this has been already mentioned, but is it possible to decode somebody's private keys from a .signed transaction (Armory-generated) data file? Is it safe to keep those files (with offline wallet signatures) on the system or better to erase them immediately?

▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄██▀▀▀               ▀▀▄▄
      ▄▄█▀                         ▀▀▄
    ▄█▀                        ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀█
  ▄██                     ▄▄█▀▀     ▄▀
 ██▀                 ▄▄██████▄    ▄▀
███               ▄▄██████████▄  ▀
██             ▄▄█████████████▀
██          ▄▄█████████████▀
██        ▄ ▀██████████████
██▄    ▄██▀▀  ▀▀████████▀
 ██   ██▀        ▀▀████▀
  ██ █▀
   ▀█
  █▄ ▀▄
 ▄▀    ▀▄

SatoshiGames.io
██████

█████

████

████

█████

██████
               ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
           ▄▄▄▄█  ▄█     ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   █  ▀ █            ▀▀▀▀▄
█  █▄        ▄▀                    ▄▀
▀▄ █ ▀       █         ▄           █
 █          █        ▄██▄         ▄▀
 █         ▄▀     ▄██████▄       ▄▀
 ▀▄        █    ▄█████████▄      █
  █       █      ██████████▄    ▄▀
  █      ▄▀        ▀████████   ▄▀
  ▀▄     █        ▄████▀▀▀▀    █
   █    █          ▀▀▀█       ▄▀
   █   ▄▀                    ▄▀
   ▀▄  █                     █
    █  ▀▄▄              █ ▄ ▄▀
    █     ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄       █▀ ▄▀
    ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄█

▄▄▄▄██████▄▄█▄▄██████▄▄▄▄
███████████████████████████████
▄▀▄           █           ▄▀▄
█   █         ▄█▄         █   █
█     █        ███        █     █
█       █       ███       █       █
█         █     █████     █         █
█           █    █████    █           █
█             █   █████   █             █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█   █████   █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
▀███████████▀    █████    ▀███████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ███       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄███▄
▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
BTC
██████

█████

████

████

█████

██████
TimS

Activity: 250
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 11:22:09 PM

I apologize if this has been already mentioned, but is it possible to decode somebody's private keys from a .signed transaction (Armory-generated) data file? Is it safe to keep those files (with offline wallet signatures) on the system or better to erase them immediately?
I think it's safe to assume that you cannot get private keys from a .signed transaction file, as that would be a pretty big breach in security. E.g. malware on the online computer could grab a .signed file and spend your money before you have a chance to broadcast your legitimate transaction.
psjw4450

Activity: 342

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:25:18 AM

I am switching over from bitcoin-qt to armory.  I have a wallet that I want to import the addresses to Armory on an offline computer.  Whats the easiest way to do this and once imported how can I send the btc to a newly generated offline address. 
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:30:33 AM

I am switching over from bitcoin-qt to armory.  I have a wallet that I want to import the addresses to Armory on an offline computer.  Whats the easiest way to do this and once imported how can I send the btc to a newly generated offline address. 

Why not just send the coins to the new address?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
psjw4450

Activity: 342

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:35:45 AM

I am switching over from bitcoin-qt to armory.  I have a wallet that I want to import the addresses to Armory on an offline computer.  Whats the easiest way to do this and once imported how can I send the btc to a newly generated offline address.  

I am setting up the new armory wallet on the computer that had my old bitcoin-qt wallet was on and I am reformating it so it never touches the internet.  Don't worry I did back up my old wallet.   Smiley.  I would feel more comfortable importing the keys then connecting the old wallet to the internet and sending the btc.  
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 03:29:32 AM

I am setting up the new armory wallet on the computer that had my old bitcoin-qt wallet was on and I am reformating it so it never touches the internet.  Don't worry I did back up my old wallet.   Smiley.  I would feel more comfortable importing the keys then connecting the old wallet to the internet and sending the btc. 

Switch to expert then double click a wallet

Pages: « 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 »
  Print  

Jump to: