Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:52:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 [537] 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032138 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:32:13 AM

Then why did the rollback not happen?

b/c the community disagreed with them, i suppose, out of apathy, disdain, or confusion.  who knows.

the important thing, imo, is that the devs were irresponsible in not gaining a consensus before throwing a patch out there this serious.  simply to reverse a hack, mind you.  to my mind, this introduces considerable uncertainty into the NXT protocol when their main devs are willing to make a questionable decision like this to support/save a vested partner Bter for either political or financial reasons.  you'll never know what they'll be willing to do NXT  Wink
and of course there's no chance of that ever happening to bitcoin.  LOL
Wasn't it discussed to not have previous halving done?  The asics saved it that time.  What will save that discussion at next halving?  Currently theoretically it would cost only about 2% of bitcoins total valuation to 51% attack it.  And it's not going to get better because holders of bitcoin and miners have opposing monetary interests.  Mining currently is like a bitcoin annuity since fees are negligible compared to block reward.  The hope is when that transition to mining mainly for fees rolls around it will be enough.  There are no guarantees it will be.  It's interesting that this thread makes fun of gold needing to be dug up, transported and etc... and how bitcoin is so much better but it's ok to have bitcoin mining when it can be considered wastefull.  Maybe in the future instead that big gold rock picture we'll be laughing at big bitcoin mining operations the same way.

no it won't.  the Bitcoin core devs have never introduced a patch or rollback to save any of the multiple exchanges that have been hacked and most likely never will. all updates are thoroughly vetted while gaining a consensus from the community before introduction.  what's your point?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:45:52 AM

Then why did the rollback not happen?

b/c the community disagreed with them, i suppose, out of apathy, disdain, or confusion.  who knows.

the important thing, imo, is that the devs were irresponsible in not gaining a consensus before throwing a patch out there this serious.  simply to reverse a hack, mind you.  to my mind, this introduces considerable uncertainty into the NXT protocol when their main devs are willing to make a questionable decision like this to support/save a vested partner Bter for either political or financial reasons.  you'll never know what they'll be willing to do NXT  Wink
and of course there's no chance of that ever happening to bitcoin.  LOL
Wasn't it discussed to not have previous halving done?  The asics saved it that time.  What will save that discussion at next halving?  Currently theoretically it would cost only about 2% of bitcoins total valuation to 51% attack it.  And it's not going to get better because holders of bitcoin and miners have opposing monetary interests.  Mining currently is like a bitcoin annuity since fees are negligible compared to block reward.  The hope is when that transition to mining mainly for fees rolls around it will be enough.  There are no guarantees it will be.  It's interesting that this thread makes fun of gold needing to be dug up, transported and etc... and how bitcoin is so much better but it's ok to have bitcoin mining when it can be considered wastefull.  Maybe in the future instead that big gold rock picture we'll be laughing at big bitcoin mining operations the same way.

gimme a break.  ppl die gold mining, let alone get seriously physically abused.

what about the Oxford PhD's study do you not agree with?
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:55:47 AM

The fact is nxt worked as advertised.  The developers released a patch to roll back the transaction but it was unsuccessful, proving that they did not have complete control over the network and the integrity of the currency remained intact. 

I don't disagree.  A PoS network comes to some sort of a consensus.  

In PoW, that consensus is tethered to physical reality because resources are consumed when voting for a chain; in PoS, that consensus is tethered only to popular opinion.  In my mind, PoW cryptos are like gold coins--they take energy and effort to create, and only physical methods can be used to steal them.  PoS cryptos are like share certificates--they can be created for zero cost only based on the desires of stake holders, and they can be voided just as easily (voided by social methods as opposed to stolen by physical methods).  

POS is subject to similar game theory type stuff as POW.  Why would someone who has a large stake in the system attempt to compromise it?

They can attack with "nothing at stake" by using coins they once held but have since sold.  To attack a PoW system, one must expend resources in this reality.  The game theory is completely different.  
Another advantage of "tethering to reality" is there is free market competition for entry into the crypto world through mining. You can compete with other miners OR just trade for them.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:10:56 AM

Yikes:

That little "2" all the way to the left may not be there much longer.

yes, it's called the "flush":

Looks like cheap coins to me!

I hope it goes lower...nom nom nom.  Grin Grin Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:12:26 AM

Oxford study?
 Huh
no it won't.  the Bitcoin core devs have never introduced a patch or rollback to save any of the multiple exchanges that have been hacked and most likely never will. all updates are thoroughly vetted while gaining a consensus from the community before introduction.  what's your point?
Most likely?  What Consensus?  Vetted by whom?  What community?  Aren't many people running older qt versions even now?
The point is that holding and mining are two separate activities and can even sometimes be opposed to each other.  But unlike gold for example, mining and using are very much interdependent in bitcoin.

thefunkybits
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:18:19 AM

I hope it goes lower...nom nom nom.  Grin Grin Grin

Me too! I'm aiming for a final bottom around 0.006
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:23:31 AM

Oxford study?
 Huh
Most likely?  What Consensus?  Vetted by whom?  What community?  Aren't many people running older qt versions even now?
The point is that holding and mining are two separate activities and can even sometimes be opposed to each other.  But unlike gold for example, mining and using are very much interdependent in bitcoin.

http://www.coindesk.com/microscope-true-costs-gold-production/

yes, there is a clear pathway to submitting patches and/or updates that goes thru the core devs.  all changes get discussed ad nauseum ahead of time and consensus is formed before they're introduced into new versions of the core protocol.  the community is free to chime in and express opinions.  the point is that there is a process, not some off the cuff patch to rollback a hack as was just done by the NXT core devs.

i'm not sure what you mean by there being opposed interests btwn hodlers and miners.  i'm both and there's no inconsistency btwn both of my activities.

most ppl don't update their versions out of laziness or a reluctance to create unforeseen problems in their current operations that the updates might introduce.  it's not b/c they fundamentally disagree with the changes.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 06:24:57 AM

Just so we don't forget:

“$29,000,000,000,000: A Detailed Look at the Fed’s Bail-out by Funding Facility and Recipient” by James Felkerson."

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2011/12/bailout-total-29-616-trillion-dollars/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBigPicture+(The+Big+Picture)
_mr_e
Legendary

Activity: 817

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:06:00 PM

Oxford study?
 Huh

http://www.coindesk.com/microscope-true-costs-gold-production/

yes, there is a clear pathway to submitting patches and/or updates that goes thru the core devs.  all changes get discussed ad nauseum ahead of time and consensus is formed before they're introduced into new versions of the core protocol.  the community is free to chime in and express opinions.  the point is that there is a process, not some off the cuff patch to rollback a hack as was just done by the NXT core devs.

i'm not sure what you mean by there being opposed interests btwn hodlers and miners.  i'm both and there's no inconsistency btwn both of my activities.

most ppl don't update their versions out of laziness or a reluctance to create unforeseen problems in their current operations that the updates might introduce.  it's not b/c they fundamentally disagree with the changes.

I think you're forgetting that  nxt is still a relatively new coin and it takes time for those kind of policies to be put it place... bitcoin has a much larger market cap and if nxt keeps growing it will get there to.
_mr_e
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:10:31 PM

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitcoin-made-anonymous-bitcoindark-unprecedented-033200415.html

All of this is being made possible by being built on top of the NXT network. jl777 calls it the "nxt inside" campaign... analogous to "Intel inside"
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:18:25 PM

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitcoin-made-anonymous-bitcoindark-unprecedented-033200415.html

All of this is being made possible by being built on top of the NXT network. jl777 calls it the "nxt inside" campaign... analogous to "Intel inside"

Lol nxt inside nice try. Intel was a multi billion corporation before anyone knew their slogan... Nxt? umm lets start with btc first
_mr_e
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:26:34 PM

Lol nxt inside nice try. Intel was a multi billion corporation before anyone knew their slogan... Nxt? umm lets start with btc first

It's just what he's calling the campaign for devs, not mass marketing.
_mr_e
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:34:32 PM

The point being that nxt is a feature platform before a currency and other coins can take advantage of these features by integrating nxt core into their client.
kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:27:15 PM

The point being that nxt is a feature platform before a currency and other coins can take advantage of these features by integrating nxt core into their client.

allot of people that are involved in btcd dont even realise that its going to be facilitating a new feature in nxt lol james aint doing that coding for nothing lol

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:28:07 PM

i'm comforted to hear that 5% of the NXT stakeholder market is a confirmed thief who will have forging rights on all future blocks.  perhaps he will attempt to write even more of a stake into his holdings?
_mr_e
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:31:03 PM

i'm comforted to hear that 5% of the NXT stakeholder market is a confirmed thief who will have forging rights on all future blocks.  perhaps he will attempt to write even more of a stake into his holdings?

I guess you didn't hear that 85% of the nxt was returned to bter? And that now many more users are aware that they should be using the multigateway to trade rather then storing their nxt on a centralized exchange?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:34:58 PM

https://twitter.com/cypherdoc2/status/501391679942049792
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:37:03 PM

i'm comforted to hear that 5% of the NXT stakeholder market is a confirmed thief who will have forging rights on all future blocks.  perhaps he will attempt to write even more of a stake into his holdings?

I guess you didn't hear that 85% of the nxt was returned to bter? And that now many more users are aware that they should be using the multigateway to trade rather then storing their nxt on a centralized exchange?

what did u have to do to get the thief to return 85% of the stolen NXT?  and will Bter ever stop using a hot wallet?  and will NXT users really learn to not leave NXT on an exchange if they've been bailed out?
_mr_e
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:42:18 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2014, 03:54:52 PM by _mr_e

what did u have to do to get the thief to return 85% of the stolen NXT?  and will Bter ever stop using a hot wallet?  and will NXT users really learn to not leave NXT on an exchange if they've been bailed out?

Bter paid the hacker 200 btc and the hacker kept 8 million which means he now has a stake in the price of Nxt rising.

The multigateway is a no fee, in client, decentralized trading platform that is far superior to any centralized exchange and is now handling the most volume out of any exchange - and it's still in beta! Have you even looked into the technology at all? This website is built on the nxt api and this is the btc asset: https://trade.secureae.com/#4551058913252105307. It is also possible to deposit btc or ltc (soon many other coins are coming) and buy Nxt directly from the comfort of your own client: https://i.imgur.com/imaE0Gs.png. As even more people start using this and the volume continues to grow there will be no need for your nxt to leave your control again to trade. Soon instant trading will be introduced(rather then having to wait for a block). I'm sorry, but this is a massive breakthrough - I can't understand why this technology upsets you so much, it's only going to help crypto as a whole.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:51:26 PM

This must mean something:

"Exiles Launch Venezuela’s First Bitcoin Exchange"

http://panampost.com/belen-marty/2014/08/18/exiles-launch-venezuelas-first-bitcoin-exchange/
Pages: « 1 ... 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 [537] 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: