Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:07:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 06:04:15 PM

Bitcoin and shitcoins are technological dinosaurs. We all know what happened to dinosaurs amirite?

The dinosaurs needed to lay their eggs in nests inaccessible to those pesky little mammals, so they evolved into birds.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 10:45:55 PM

Dearest NLC,

It's "inseparable from bitcoin" only according to pyramid schemers like you.

Bitcoiners: "So we have this blockchain thing, it's a "DECENTRALISED" distributed ledger and it has potential but bitcoin is a necessary component, you are forced to adopt it if you want the blockchain"

Everybody else: "Ok, but we don't need this bitcoin currency "I don't think anyone needs this bitcoin currency", only drug dealers, paranoid libertards, scammers and ponzi speculators do"

Bitcoiners: "We don't care. You want the blockchain? You need to adopt bitcoin"

Everybody else: "Alright, then we will create a blockchain/CONSENSUS/distributed ledger thing that doesn't force people to adopt, use, and give a high value to a new currency they don't need. If it's a little CENTRALIZED it's not a problem FOR ME, cuz I THINK decentralization is for libertards."

Bitcoiners: "You can't. It's impossible™"

Everybody else:
http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/01/22/blockchain-things-bot-not-internet-things/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkYVc1YsGCc

More coming soon.

Avoid being disingenuous by omitting relevant information.

Stop conflating your opinion with fact.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 10:48:45 PM

Dearest NLC,

It's "inseparable from bitcoin" only according to pyramid schemers like you.

Bitcoiners: "So we have this blockchain thing, it's a "DECENTRALISED" distributed ledger and it has potential but bitcoin is a necessary component, you are forced to adopt it if you want the blockchain"

Everybody else: "Ok, but we don't need this bitcoin currency "I don't think anyone needs this bitcoin currency", only drug dealers, paranoid libertards, scammers and ponzi speculators do"

Bitcoiners: "We don't care. You want the blockchain? You need to adopt bitcoin"

Everybody else: "Alright, then we will create a blockchain/CONSENSUS/distributed ledger thing that doesn't force people to adopt, use, and give a high value to a new currency they don't need. If it's a little CENTRALIZED it's not a problem FOR ME, cuz I THINK decentralization is for libertards."

Bitcoiners: "You can't. It's impossible™"

Everybody else:
http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/01/22/blockchain-things-bot-not-internet-things/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkYVc1YsGCc

More coming soon.

Avoid being disingenuous by omitting relevant information.

Stop conflating your opinion with fact.

that post just shows he doesn't understand the first thing about Bitcoin and is only here to troll.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:12:20 AM

People are looking at the prices on exchanges that will soon be obsolete.  When the next jump happens, the exchanges will be bypassed in favor of Wall Street. Billions will be traded and amateur exchanges will melt. We won't need to check price websites. They will be quoting Winkdex.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 12:23:49 PM

People are looking at the prices on exchanges that will soon be obsolete.  When the next jump happens, the exchanges will be bypassed in favor of Wall Street. Billions will be traded and amateur exchanges will melt. We won't need to check price websites. They will be quoting Winkdex.

Imho there is no jump to be expected until next halving. Everything else happening is just noise.

Ps: screw wall street!
NotHatinJustTrollin

Activity: 462
Merit: 107

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 12:38:27 PM

People are looking at the prices on exchanges that will soon be obsolete.  When the next jump happens, the exchanges will be bypassed in favor of Wall Street. Billions will be traded and amateur exchanges will melt. We won't need to check price websites. They will be quoting Winkdex.
Cool story bro.
I have been hearing this "Wall Street is coming" vague fantasy since the beginning of 2014.
I thought they were supposed to come (for real this time) with Coinbase regulated™ exchange. Where are they? In the 800k in bids there?

Oh yes, I forgot they are secretly crashing the price to accumulate  Cheesy

Hint: Opening up a market where they could get in doesn't mean they will  Cheesy

Cheesy
   Cheesy Cheesy
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 02:46:20 PM

Imho there is no jump to be expected until next halving. Everything else happening is just noise.

I've never seen the halving-drives-bubbles argument fully explained. It seems to me that since we are talking about CCMF price jumps of at least tenfold, and the inflation rate is nowhere near that, then either most bitcoins are immovable or the halving isn't in fact that important.

For example, if we have an inflation rate of 10% per year but investment increases tenfold during the year, then we still get roughly a 9x increase in price. Now if half the coins are immovable, either because they are lost or because for some reason the holders refuse to cash any out, then the effective inflation rate looks more like 20%. If 3/4 of the coins are immobile, then 40%. And if investment only increases by say 4x per year, then I think that's only like a 2.5x price increase during the non-halving years. But 4x vs. 2.5x is still not that much of a difference.

If the halving does make a huge difference, I would have to conclude that it's because few bitcoins actually make it to market for whatever reason. Perhaps it's the Bitcoin Baron's Paradox: "After the first few million dollars, why cash out any more? Fiat currency is a downright dangerous place to park your money!" (It could get frozen, banks could fail, dollar could collapse, etc. Gold has jurisdictional risks. Bitcoin is the ideal place for savings, so even if the price rises there is no reason to cash out very much more.)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 02:52:04 PM

If the halving does make a huge difference, I would have to conclude that it's because few bitcoins make it to market for whatever reason. Perhaps it's the Bitcoin Baron's Paradox: "After the first few million dollars, why cash out any more? Fiat currency is a downright dangerous place to park your money, it could get frozen, banks could fail, dollar could collapse, etc. Gold has jurisdictional risks. Bitcoin is the ideal place for savings, so even if the price rises there is no reason to cash out significantly more."
Bitcoin adoption is a form of emigration.

Prediction models whose accuracy depends on a long term stable equilibrium between Bitcoin and national currencies are wrong.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:01:00 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2015, 03:11:21 PM by Zangelbert Bingledack

Prediction models whose accuracy depends on a long term stable equilibrium between Bitcoin and national currencies are wrong.

I guess we can say that either the halvings do make a huge difference and emigration into Bitcoin is already happening to a substantial degree, presumably usually for the practical reasons I mentioned, or the halvings don't make a huge difference and emigration isn't really happening but instead people are mostly optimizing for ending up with the most fiat. If the next halving triggers another moonshoot then we'll have additional confirmation that emigration is a much bigger factor than merely people playing for fiat profit.

I certainly don't expect a long-term stable equilibrium: if Bitcoin succeeds, fiat has nowhere to go but zero. However, I'm surprised that the emigration dynamic could already be taking hold to the extent that halvings would make such an enormous difference.

Do you think the emigration dynamic is being driven by the reasons I mentioned (Bitcoin Baron's Paradox / Bitcoin is just a safer, wiser, more flexible and reliable place to keep your nest egg), or more by ideology, or something else?
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:29:15 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2015, 04:00:37 PM by hdbuck

I've never seen the halving-drives-bubbles argument fully explained. It seems to me that since we are talking about CCMF price jumps of at least tenfold, and the inflation rate is nowhere near that, then either most bitcoins are immovable or the halving isn't in fact that important.

For example, if we have an inflation rate of 10% per year but investment increases tenfold during the year, then we still get roughly a 9x increase in price. Now if half the coins are immovable, either because they are lost or because for some reason the holders refuse to cash any out, then the effective inflation rate looks more like 20%. If 3/4 of the coins are immobile, then 40%. And if investment only increases by say 4x per year, then I think that's only like a 2.5x price increase during the non-halving years. But 4x vs. 2.5x is still not that much of a difference.

If the halving does make a huge difference, I would have to conclude that it's because few bitcoins actually make it to market for whatever reason. Perhaps it's the Bitcoin Baron's Paradox: "After the first few million dollars, why cash out any more? Fiat currency is a downright dangerous place to park your money!" (It could get frozen, banks could fail, dollar could collapse, etc. Gold has jurisdictional risks. Bitcoin is the ideal place for savings, so even if the price rises there is no reason to cash out very much more.)

Im not quite sure I have the linguistics to fully explain my thoughts on this halving matter but i'll try..

So I understand Bitcoin's price as an equilibrium between the costs of the network to be operational (& secure) and pure speculation, which mostly derive from news (whether about Gox or Wall Street, which i rather call noise anyway).

However, regarding huge variations, which also happens quickly, i figured the speculation (news) part lags and tend to follow the price. Ergo, during last bubble, one might have had the illusion that the 'senate hearing' caused the ATH, but it was underway before that if you look closely.

I know that there has been more 'bubbles' than halvings since 2009, but i wouldnt weight equally the 2$ - 30$ - 200$ vs the 1200$ bubble.
For the first three, speculation and a bit of push from the early investors probably did the trick.
The last one OTOH was driven by more than simple speculation and MK's willy bot. The goodwill to sustain such skyrocketing direction and the inflow of money necessary was due, in my sense, to the simple anticipation of half less bitcoins hitting the market.

So for now, bitcoin monetary system is inflatory since ~5k BTC are mined everyday. Im not arguing where they end up, sold or hold, im just stating a fact, but i know people would disagree b/c of the 21M cap.
But whatever, economically, the effect is that we are in an inflatory system - for now. Hence, down we go.

However this inflation will be disturbed by halvings, making bitcoins less and less abundant. This is a deflationary mechanism. Hence, up we go.

The beauty of halving to me is that it encompasses both basic but huge economical and speculation effects. You just cant fight it.

So better watch out when the block reward will be halved to 12,5BTC Wink

Anyhow thats just my 2cent on the matter..

If the halving does make a huge difference, I would have to conclude that it's because few bitcoins make it to market for whatever reason. Perhaps it's the Bitcoin Baron's Paradox: "After the first few million dollars, why cash out any more? Fiat currency is a downright dangerous place to park your money, it could get frozen, banks could fail, dollar could collapse, etc. Gold has jurisdictional risks. Bitcoin is the ideal place for savings, so even if the price rises there is no reason to cash out significantly more."

Bitcoin is a safe haven. People emigrating shouldnt if they only aim at buying frappucinos. It a wonderful and even more powerful tool to break free from financial oppression - or at least part of, cuz you still live in The SystemTM ya know..

Anyhow true that there wont be a stable equilibrium between Bitcoin and national currency debt.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:29:55 PM

Thank you
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 09:34:06 PM
Last edit: March 28, 2015, 07:01:37 AM by molecular

I believe the halfing will have strong impact and I think you answered your own question (why?) at least partly: a lot of coins are immobile.

You're looking at inflation rate. Let me offer another way to look at this:

(I'm assuming miners are selling 100% of mined coins for simplicity, the argument works with less)

3600 BTC are mined each day. At current market price that's $900,000 worth. These BTC are being bought every day by demand. Now this selling pressure halves and the demand stays the same. Surely what will happen is the price will rise. In case of constant demand of $900k/day it should rise to 500 USD/BTC (merely double). But neither supply nor demand stay constant in such a scenario: supply is likely to decrease, because miners get to hoard more and most importantly demand will rise. Yes, I know, economic theory says demand should drop with a higher price,... but that's forgetting human psychology and the hype a 100% price rise will cause. In other words: the halving (reduction of supply) itself is just the ignition, the real momentum comes from increase of demand.

It worked last time, I think the Q1 2013 rally was caused (or at least substantially contributed to) by the halfing.

Does this make sense at all or is it wishful thinking?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 10:20:52 PM

I believe the halfing will have strong impact and I think you answered your own question (why?) at least partly: a lot of coins are immobile.

You're looking at inflation rate. Let me offer another way to look at this:

(I'm assuming miners are selling 100% of mined coins for simplicity, the argument works with less)

3600 BTC are mined each day. At current market price that's $900,000 worth. These BTC are being bought every day by demand. Now this selling pressure halves and the demand stays the same. Surely what will happen is the price will rise. In case of constant demand of $900k/day it should rise to 500 USD/BTC (merely double). But neither supply nor demand stay constant in such a scenario: supply is likely to decrease, because miners get to hoard more and most importantly demand will rise. Yes, I know, economic theory says demand should drop with a higher price,... but that's forgetting human psychology and the hype a 100% price rise will cause. In other words: the halving (reduction of supply) itself is just the ignition, the real momentum comes from increase decrease of supply.

It worked last time, I think the Q1 2013 rally was caused (or at least substantially contributed to) by the halfing.

Does this make sense at all or is it wishful thinking?

Up
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 10:33:31 PM

its all about the hoarding anyway:

http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/end-the-fed-hoard-bitcoins/

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=144911.0
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:38:43 PM

the desperation is palpable.  almost as bad as NJHJT:

The Bitcoin Blockchain Could Be Used to Spread Malware, INTERPOL Says

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-bitcoin-blockchain-could-be-used-to-spread-malware-interpol-says?utm_source=mbtwitter
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Merit: 1115

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:46:16 PM

This thread should have an indexIbex.

Anybody know around what page you all were discussing the topic of transaction fees increasing as coinbase rewards decrease?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
NotHatinJustTrollin

Activity: 462
Merit: 107

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 11:57:11 PM

This thread should have an index.

Anybody know around what page you all were discussing the topic of transaction fees increasing as coinbase rewards are decreasing?
Index:

Pages 1-100: Delusions

Pages 101-300: Fiat sucks

Pages 301-500: Gold sucks too

Pages 501-700: The State and bankers are evil, Bitcoin whales* will save the world

Pages 701-1119: Moar delusions

*:

http://www.deepdotweb.com/2015/03/27/breaking-sheep-marketplace-owner-arrested/

hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 12:12:11 AM

the Tomas dude is pretty hilarious tho. Grin
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Merit: 1115

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 12:13:48 AM

This is why we need decentralized autonomous organizations. I guess Huh

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 12:19:26 AM

This is why we need decentralized autonomous organizations. I guess Huh

no, we need boobies.

Pages: « 1 ... 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 [1114] 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: