Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:32:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 [651] 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:06:18 AM

What do you think will change following the ETF? Less crazy price swings?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:10:08 AM

Crazy price swings are what Wall Street is all about. If they want stability, they should invest in gravity.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:12:01 AM

"I Obviously can’t mention the names of the individuals or the banks involved"

Seriously?

The ETF may also be trading cash-settled futures (or god knows what else), but that doesn't apply to the CME/COMEX gold futures mentioned above. You can read the rules above, I linked to it. You have to click through a few pages.

Also, the language you quoted might be standardized across different commodity ETFs. Some futures definitely settle in cash, just not the gold futures.

But as correctly noted above, they are normally closed out through trading. And yes in a crisis all bets are off.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:17:11 AM

here's the daily first year chart of GLD inception 11/29/04:

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:27:01 AM

Crazy price swings are what Wall Street is all about. If they want stability, they should invest in gravity.

Cheesy

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 04:10:50 AM

Most contracts are closed out without delivery because both sides agree, unless the guy wants physical.. then the exchange has "extra" paper work to do to sort you out.

This is true and it is hard to imagine how any trading market could be different. Not allowed to close out a position?

The important point is though, if you feel physical is worth more than the offered price for whatever reason, you have the option to take it.

I dont think you can like i said unless you tell the exchange before.. They want to know your intentions beforehand although by law you can always request delivery

The option being there ensures that prices are kept in line (by professionals if nothing else).

Since it is 100 ounces and roughly 120K USD per contract, a little paperwork is not out of line. The exchange mostly wants to know is that you can actually pay for and physically take delivery, to avoid broken settlements.

Legal Tender law allows the settlement of any debt in fiat.  Most of the ETF filings also make that explicit.  Make no mistake, they never have to give you gold.

Quote from: Language from GLD powershares ETF annual report
In the normal course of its business, the Fund is party to financial instruments with off-balance sheet risk. The term “off-balance sheet risk” refers to an unrecorded potential liability that, even though it does not appear on the balance sheet, may result in a future obligation or loss. The financial instruments used by the Fund are commodity futures, whose values are based upon an underlying asset and generally represent future commitments which have a reasonable possibility to be settled in cash or through physical delivery. The financial instruments are traded on an exchange and are standardized contracts.

They can opt deliver cash instead, at their choice.

Another example:
http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/KWN_DailyWeb/Entries/2010/12/7_Jim_Rickards_-_Swiss_Bank_Client_Denied_His_$40_Million_in_Gold.html

COMEX Futures have something called a "Force Majeure" clause. It essentially means that if there are events outside of their control, then alternative delivery or settlement is possible. Here is one example where they had to deny delivery in one location and move delivery to another. Yes, this was a reasonable situation and very reasonable resolution.
http://www.goldcore.com/goldcore_blog/cme-declares-force-majeure-due-%E2%80%9Coperational-limitations%E2%80%9D-nyc-gold-depository

The problem is what is "reasonable" seems to have a changing definition, especially in times of crisis. Just look at the last financial blowup when the capital structure and legal contract was blatantly thrown out in the GM bailout to screw secured creditors in favor of unsecured unions. Those actions were completely illegal, but that is OK "because crisis" "because evil rich people" (never mind that the creditors screwed were pension funds for middle class workers).

I don't subscribe to some gold bug imaginations that there will be a physical run anytime soon that breaks COMEX, at the same time it is very likely if COMEX does run into issues that settlement in dollars will be decreed as satisfactory "because crisis". Again just go to any MF Global allocated gold holder ask them what they received, the answer will be a) not their gold, b) not any gold, c) something other than gold and d) something less than the value of their allocated gold. The precedents are already set.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 04:27:03 AM

The problem is what is "reasonable" seems to have a changing definition, especially in times of crisis.

Yes I said in crisis all bets are off. That should really be quite obvious. Imagine the exchange itself (or its IT operation) gets blown up and records either can't be found or need to be retrieved from some sort of disaster recovery procedure. Things might very well not go according to plan.

As far as ETFs (gold, bitcoin, whatever) they really aren't intended to be a direct and perfect substitute for physical ownership, they are a trading vehicle that tracks some NAV. The same can be said for futures, though they are somewhat less removed from the physical asset, but still not 100% equivalent.

My original gripe with your statement (without qualification) was that COMEX gold contracts are settled in dollars, which is generally false outside of a crisis. They might settle in dollars under some unusual circumstances, but normally not. Other futures certainly are, so I take this to be a simple error. 

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 04:27:28 AM

Most contracts are closed out without delivery because both sides agree, unless the guy wants physical.. then the exchange has "extra" paper work to do to sort you out.

This is true and it is hard to imagine how any trading market could be different. Not allowed to close out a position?

The important point is though, if you feel physical is worth more than the offered price for whatever reason, you have the option to take it.

I dont think you can like i said unless you tell the exchange before.. They want to know your intentions beforehand although by law you can always request delivery

The option being there ensures that prices are kept in line (by professionals if nothing else).

Since it is 100 ounces and roughly 120K USD per contract, a little paperwork is not out of line. The exchange mostly wants to know is that you can actually pay for and physically take delivery, to avoid broken settlements.

Legal Tender law allows the settlement of any debt in fiat.  Most of the ETF filings also make that explicit.  Make no mistake, they never have to give you gold.

Quote from: Language from GLD powershares ETF annual report
In the normal course of its business, the Fund is party to financial instruments with off-balance sheet risk. The term “off-balance sheet risk” refers to an unrecorded potential liability that, even though it does not appear on the balance sheet, may result in a future obligation or loss. The financial instruments used by the Fund are commodity futures, whose values are based upon an underlying asset and generally represent future commitments which have a reasonable possibility to be settled in cash or through physical delivery. The financial instruments are traded on an exchange and are standardized contracts.

They can opt deliver cash instead, at their choice.

Another example:
http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/KWN_DailyWeb/Entries/2010/12/7_Jim_Rickards_-_Swiss_Bank_Client_Denied_His_$40_Million_in_Gold.html

COMEX Futures have something called a "Force Majeure" clause. It essentially means that if there are events outside of their control, then alternative delivery or settlement is possible. Here is one example where they had to deny delivery in one location and move delivery to another. Yes, this was a reasonable situation and very reasonable resolution.
http://www.goldcore.com/goldcore_blog/cme-declares-force-majeure-due-%E2%80%9Coperational-limitations%E2%80%9D-nyc-gold-depository

The problem is what is "reasonable" seems to have a changing definition, especially in times of crisis. Just look at the last financial blowup when the capital structure and legal contract was blatantly thrown out in the GM bailout to screw secured creditors in favor of unsecured unions. Those actions were completely illegal, but that is OK "because crisis" "because evil rich people" (never mind that the creditors screwed were pension funds for middle class workers).

I don't subscribe to some gold bug imaginations that there will be a physical run anytime soon that breaks COMEX, at the same time it is very likely if COMEX does run into issues that settlement in dollars will be decreed as satisfactory "because crisis". Again just go to any MF Global allocated gold holder ask them what they received, the answer will be a) not their gold, b) not any gold, c) something other than gold and d) something less than the value of their allocated gold. The precedents are already set.

This is why im excited by decentralized exchanges... Will be interesting to see what patrick byrne announces at inside bitcoin
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 04:45:41 AM

The problem is what is "reasonable" seems to have a changing definition, especially in times of crisis.

Yes I said in crisis all bets are off. That should really be quite obvious. Imagine the exchange itself (or its IT operation) gets blown up and records either can't be found or need to be retrieved from some sort of disaster recovery procedure. Things might very well not go according to plan.

As far as ETFs (gold, bitcoin, whatever) they really aren't intended to be a direct and perfect substitute for physical ownership, they are a trading vehicle that tracks some NAV. The same can be said for futures, though they are somewhat less removed from the physical asset, but still not 100% equivalent.

My original gripe with your statement (without qualification) was that COMEX gold contracts are settled in dollars, which is generally false outside of a crisis. They might settle in dollars under some unusual circumstances, but normally not. Other futures certainly are, so I take this to be a simple error. 

If there is one thing we can all hopefully agree on, it is the understanding that during the next crisis (whenever it happens) the rules will be changed/re-interpreted to protect the bankers and politicians at the expense of everyone else.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 04:57:19 AM

ok, this is very cool and important.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/09/29/352476454/how-hong-kong-protesters-are-connecting-without-cell-or-wi-fi-networks

"Mesh networks are an especially resilient tool because there's no easy way for a government to shut them down. They can't just block cell reception or a site address. Mesh networks are like Voldemort after he split his soul into horcruxes (only not evil). Destroying one part won't kill it unless you destroy each point of access; someone would have to turn off Bluetooth on every phone using FireChat to completely break the connection. This hard-to-break connection isn't super important for casual chats, but during tense political showdowns, it could be a lifeline."

i can't wait for BitcoinCard or something similar to come along and give us the option to connect via Mesh Networking.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 05:09:44 AM

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/09/29/352476454/how-hong-kong-protesters-are-connecting-without-cell-or-wi-fi-networks

"Mesh networks are an especially resilient tool because there's no easy way for a government to shut them down. They can't just block cell reception or a site address. Mesh networks are like Voldemort after he split his soul into horcruxes (only not evil). Destroying one part won't kill it unless you destroy each point of access; someone would have to turn off Bluetooth on every phone using FireChat to completely break the connection. This hard-to-break connection isn't super important for casual chats, but during tense political showdowns, it could be a lifeline."

i can't wait for BitcoinCard or something similar to come along and give us the option to connect via Mesh Networking.

I think they removed that feature for the initial release because the "tech isn't there yet".

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 05:13:37 AM

I think they removed that feature for the initial release because the "tech isn't there yet".

FireChat via Open Garden should be a good option.
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 10:54:20 AM

Gold is plunging!

Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 5039

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 12:33:44 PM

Ebay to spin off PayPal into a separate company:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebay-spin-off-paypal-adopting-110014208.html

Bitcoin bullish?
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 12:35:58 PM

Bitcoin bullish?

Bitcoin neutral. It won't happen before 2015. At the right price Paypal is a company I'd like to own.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 01:21:04 PM

Bitcoin bullish?

Beat me to it.

Probably factored into their decision to accept Bitcoin in the first place.  They'll need an edge.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 02:41:04 PM

yep, silver continuing its break to the downside:

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:14:56 PM

They can still shut it down fairly easily by strongly broadcasting noise on the frequencies used.  That technique can knock out Bluetooth or any other wireless communications in a fairly large area with a small transmitter.  Bluetooth is particularly vulnerable since it is so low power in the first place.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:23:43 PM

bad sign for pm's; good for Bitcoin.  our trusty leading indicator, SLW, just broke support.

we have a number of factors converging that i very much like; continued PM breakdown, Circle, Paypal, longest Bitcoin bear in history of 10 mo possibly coming to an end, struggling economy, increasing VIX:

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:26:50 PM

poor pm miners:

Pages: « 1 ... 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 [651] 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: