Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:13:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 [457] 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312571 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 03:35:51 PM

Suggestion for accepting monero for tutanota has been made:
https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/suggestions/9968298-accept-monero-xmr-for-donations

Please support it, if you want.

28 votes and counting.

The problem I see with this kind of stuff is if they actually go through the trouble of implementing a solution to accept XMR and then nobody/few people actually donate. Gingeropolous made a great proposal about this that could help us leverage our efforts and minimize that "I had all this trouble and all I got was this lousy lime t-shirt" feeling.

https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/2392/privately-donate-to-privacy-oriented-services
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 09:16:43 PM

Hey risto! 

Did you see these? 

I hope , they make a physical BTC it better than virtual

You mean like this?

It can be worth 1 BTC, and minted out of pure gold, and can be physically traded Cheesy

This physical Bitcoin looks luxurious and a very good coin to have. I would like to have one of these. Any idea on where I could buy one? I love to collect physical coins  Cheesy

I think that the perfect project for you with your vast Monero and Silver hoards would be to create physical silver Monero coins.  Given gold's reputation, I find that most "essentials hoarders" (I'm talking about the people that hoard guns and silver for worst case scenarios) prefer silver over gold. 

Bonus points if you could design a coin-like silver object that doesn't immediately have the XMR private key visible (though I know this would be difficult).

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
owm123

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 09:28:22 PM

Suggestion for accepting monero for tutanota has been made:
https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/suggestions/9968298-accept-monero-xmr-for-donations

Please support it, if you want.

28 votes and counting.

The problem I see with this kind of stuff is if they actually go through the trouble of implementing a solution to accept XMR and then nobody/few people actually donate. Gingeropolous made a great proposal about this that could help us leverage our efforts and minimize that "I had all this trouble and all I got was this lousy lime t-shirt" feeling.

https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/2392/privately-donate-to-privacy-oriented-services

Yes, I know. But we are talking about donations, which only requires putting and xmr address on a donate page. There is nothing to implement really. Just getting monerowallet or onlineone from mymonero and that is that.

But if they would need to implement donation with xmr into their tax and accounting software, etc, then it can be a problem. I dont know what they do with donations and how do they account for them in their finance system.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2015, 10:07:02 PM

Monero’s Allure

Furthermore, potential attackers are at a disadvantage for another reason. Monero tends to oppose organizations rather than people. Even someone who stands to lose from Monero by not reacting to it, such as a banker or government agent, stands to gain a great deal by buying now. Only the very wealthiest people might reasonably expect to be worse off attempting to buy up as much as possible now than if it were gone. (This could happen if their attempt to buy caused the price to rise too fast relative to their ability to acquire additional Moneros, to the point that they ultimately had less influence over the future Monero economy than they have over the economy of today.) Thus, the agency problem with Monero affects Monero competitors as well as Monero holders.

Nearly any government agent who begins to see Monero as a potential threat must also simultaneously see it as an opportunity. He, too, can invest in Monero. And why shouldn’t he? Monero may be a threat to his livelihood, but it may well be making him an offer he can’t refuse. How can an organization that stands to lose by the adoption of Monero provide its members with a better opportunity for staying loyal than Monero provides for defection?

Even those who might resist the temptation to defect would have to think about the defection of his fellows. How quickly is adoption happening? Is there time to mount an attack before Monero becomes too powerful? How easily could the resources for such an attack be amassed, given both the ignorance and treachery of the other agents. If such an attack would be unlikely to succeed, then buying now would be the only intelligent action. Regardless of whether he liked Monero, it would be futile to continue pursuing a doomed cause.

Potential Monero attackers are in a Prisoner’s Dilemma. In the same way that the people cannot easily rebel against the king owing to a lack of coordination on their part, governments cannot rebel against Monero for the same reason. The government puts the people in a Prisoner’s Dilemma against one another, and Monero does the same to government agents.

Monero is like Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Monero attracts inside men to act as covert saboteurs. There have long been predictions from both Moneroers and naysayers of impending government attacks, but I think there is a possibility that Monero could win without suffering much resistance. Moreover, although I said above only that any legal Monero attack could be perverted, the considerations discussed in this section tend to make such diffusion very likely.

Monero defends itself by being obscure, but once it has attracted someone’s attention, its best interest is for that person to understand the logic presented here. For then he will also understand that his best course is to deny Monero’s threat to his superiors and quietly to become its willing slave.

Who wrote this? ^

Daniel Krawisz (originally bitcoin, somebody put Monero in the place of bitcoin)

Original at http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/bitcoins-shroud-of-subtlety-and-allure/

I forked it!   Smiley

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 1364

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 10:32:16 PM

Hey risto! 

Did you see these? 

You mean like this?

It can be worth 1 BTC, and minted out of pure gold, and can be physically traded Cheesy

This physical Bitcoin looks luxurious and a very good coin to have. I would like to have one of these. Any idea on where I could buy one? I love to collect physical coins  Cheesy

I think that the perfect project for you with your vast Monero and Silver hoards would be to create physical silver Monero coins.  Given gold's reputation, I find that most "essentials hoarders" (I'm talking about the people that hoard guns and silver for worst case scenarios) prefer silver over gold. 

Bonus points if you could design a coin-like silver object that doesn't immediately have the XMR private key visible (though I know this would be difficult).

There’s a place where you could buy silver Monero coins. They look very shiny and good to collect. You can check it out here: https://cryptonic.net/product/order/5/ Hope this helps.  Smiley

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
americanpegasus

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 11:20:46 PM

There’s a place where you could buy silver Monero coins. They look very shiny and good to collect. You can check it out here: https://cryptonic.net/product/order/5/ Hope this helps.  Smiley

That's really cool, but it doesn't look like it has a Monero private address included on it.  The allure is not owning silver with a Monero logo, but owning a precious object that also holds precious digital funds on it.  Perhaps the viewkey could be written on the coin edge, while literally inside the silver coin would be a private chip with a private key on it. 

Of course there is the problem of ensuring that only the bearer of the coin has access to the private key - what is needed is some method of storing as many XMR as there are ounces of silver in the coin, and *then* ensuring that the user can set a private password securing the onboard Monero. 

In fact, I predict one day we will see some sort of quadra-coin that has an ounce of gold, and ounce of silver, a bitcoin private key (storing a single bitcoin), and a Monero private key (storing a single monero) all on the same object.

owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1968

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 11:28:52 PM

Yes, I have two of them myself. I just posted my first one that I had professionally graded here on Cryptonic's thread.

Cryptonic.net have been very good to me, their site is pretty cool too. Once you buy a coin there, you can virtually attach btc/xmr wallets to the coin identifier number on the rim as well, so even though they are not like Lealana or Cascascius type coins with a hologram and keys inside, they are still quite beautiful since there is more room on the coin surface for the design/look. Smiley

edit - Americanpegasus. I agree, that will indeed happen, but for now, Cryptonic is on top of his game! Wink

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 11:34:42 PM

Hey risto! 

Did you see these? 

You mean like this?

The problem with this design (if I remember correctly) is they were creating a new die for the back of the coin to have a different redeemable QR code for bitcoins.

Very uneconomical.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

owm123

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 11:51:40 PM

Accept Monero [xmr] for donations at Tutanota is the second hottest idea at the moment.

110 votes and counting.

https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/filters/hot

Please vote, if you can and think this is something worth supporting.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 12:29:40 AM

To all Monero dumpers:

I don't get why you do it, but if you really need to unload a lot of coins onto the market, please don't dump them in large chunks, but use this "autosell-bot" instead. This will probably give you a better average price and it won't hurt the confidence in the currency.
It's easy to set up (I included a manual) and you even have some parameters you can change:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dknuob4n6k7apof/AADnpnwjsSxVN78_S5PgaizTa?dl=0

If you have any questions on how to set it up, please don't hesistate to contact me!
americanpegasus

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 12:35:41 AM

To all Monero dumpers:

I don't get why you do it, but if you really need to unload a lot of coins onto the market, please don't dump them in large chunks, but use this "autosell-bot" instead. This will probably give you a better average price and it won't hurt the confidence in the currency.
It's easy to set up (I included a manual) and you even have some parameters you can change:

If you have any questions on how to set it up, please don't hesistate to contact me!

They do it because it's almost 9:45 and there are no girls in our club.  They spent a lot of time ironing their shirt, selecting their best cologne, and spiking up their hair just right. 

And *holy shit* it's almost TEN and there's almost nobody here!  What happened!?  This was supposed to be the hottest club in town! 

What about that club across the street.... It has a small line, so maybe there's people there.  Sure, they had to wait a few minutes just to get in *this* club but it obviously wasn't worth it... Look at how many tables and spots are still left. 

Hmmm... Ok, perhaps they had better go scope out some of the other clubs just to make sure they aren't missing out - I mean, they'll have to stand in line again to get in, but that's ok: there's hardly anyone in line anyway and it'll probably stay like that all night...

boolberry

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 12:49:29 AM

Accept Monero [xmr] for donations at Tutanota is the second hottest idea at the moment.

110 votes and counting.

https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/filters/hot

Please vote, if you can and think this is something worth supporting.

I will vote for this.
hodlmybtc

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 12:58:38 AM

Seriously?

fortif78

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:10:27 AM

Holy DUMP  Cheesy

"In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king."
megadeth

Activity: 289
Merit: 252

bagholder since 2013

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:21:48 AM

Holy dump. X2

bagholder since 2013
My sig space is not for sale.
americanpegasus

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:34:47 AM

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  

Glorious giga-dump.  (or did someone go long on leverage and finally panicked and sold out?)

Of course anything I say after this will smell like bagholder support, but knowing I want to buy more before the end of the year this is very attractive.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:48:01 AM

To all Monero dumpers:

I say let em dump it.

One man's garbage is another's treasure.  Grin

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

BurstIncomeAsset

Activity: 504
Merit: 511

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:50:50 AM

I`d say after the Monero can finally release a bugproof GUI wallet it will have much higher chance of competing in the altcoin space.

Until then, we shall see.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:56:00 AM

I`d say after the Monero can finally release a bugproof GUI wallet it will have much higher chance of competing in the altcoin space.

Until then, we shall see.

As much as I support Monero, I still see that there is a need for normal every day users to need a GUI. Most users this is ultimately designed for are non-command line users.

But even though right now the price is down pretty far, I still support the approach the developers are and have been taking. Getting things right the first pass and working on things under the hood as opposed to a nice exterior and a horrible interior.

Exciting price movements.  Smiley

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

americanpegasus

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 02:21:39 AM

But even though right now the price is down pretty far, I still support the approach the developers are and have been taking. Getting things right the first pass and working on things under the hood as opposed to a nice exterior and a horrible interior.

A delayed currency that doesn't violate its social contract is eventually good... a shit currency with a flawed launch and bugs is shit forever.

Pages: « 1 ... 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 [457] 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: