Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:34:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 [306] 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049439 times)
NoDisco

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:21:02 AM

I'm sure software could be made that pings you ip location if the device is taken

We are going really off track here but IP location is not precise at all. It will just show the city, maybe the block/district.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trax-gps-tracker/trax-gps-tracker-for-children-and-pets
Are they shipping by end of September?  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:22:27 AM

I'm sure software could be made that pings you ip location if the device is taken

We are going really off track here but IP location is not precise at all. It will just show the city, maybe the block/district.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trax-gps-tracker/trax-gps-tracker-for-children-and-pets
Are they shipping by end of September?  Cheesy

No idea, but you'll never 'lose' one in the post! Haha. Grin

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
timmmers

Activity: 1176
Merit: 265

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:24:37 AM

It is better that you get out of the bitcoin game while you are ahead, I seen too many good bitcoin peeps go to prison or washed up or burnt out because they went against the big centralize banking business. You are a smart man. Just live a normal life. It is dangerous out here.

WTF are you talking about?

There are only two ways out of the bitcoin business:
1) The big centralize banking governors go after you and everything you own, and you end up in jail or dead.
2) you get out while ahead

Too many people end up in prison and dead or washed up and burnt out on the streets. If you get out early while ahead, then you are ahead.

Who do you think you are dealing with when you deal with bitcoin? It ain't all friendly and everyone giving out here. This is real life muh niggah.

Yes I have Banking VP's that have been sitting out in front of my home in unmarked cars "watching" me for weeks..   Grin

Bank Vp's don't wear white coats.

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin

.ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..

█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.TELEGRAM
NoDisco

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:27:53 AM

It's a vision of the future. We'll probably always put a tiny, disposable GPS tracker in every parcel we send in 20 years time...
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:29:14 AM

It's a vision of the future. We'll probably always put a tiny, disposable GPS tracker in every parcel we send in 20 years time...

Scarily they will still be called stamps.

rizzman

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:29:49 AM

Seeing as there hasn't been any troll comments on this thread for almost an hour, I'll ask a question.

Anyone buying one of these thought about security? Like, what to do if their miner is stolen by some bum who breaks in and thinks it's a fancy desktop PC?

Any thoughts? Getting some kind of serial number engraved on the case? Marking the PCB somehow? Some kind of tracking that is it powers up, gps coordinates get send somewhere? I imagine high end industiral machinery must have something like this to protect the investment, but I don't really know.

Its called Video surveillance, a big ass dog, and 12 Gauge with 00 Low velocity buck... Best Home defense ever.
NoDisco

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:30:35 AM

Scarily they will still be called stamps.
As it's gps, I'd say staGPS. Stagps. A bit hard to pronounce though  Cheesy
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:31:07 AM

Seeing as there hasn't been any troll comments on this thread for almost an hour, I'll ask a question.

Anyone buying one of these thought about security? Like, what to do if their miner is stolen by some bum who breaks in and thinks it's a fancy desktop PC?

Any thoughts? Getting some kind of serial number engraved on the case? Marking the PCB somehow? Some kind of tracking that is it powers up, gps coordinates get send somewhere? I imagine high end industiral machinery must have something like this to protect the investment, but I don't really know.

Its called Video surveillance, a big ass dog, and 12 Gauge with 00 Low velocity buck... Best Home defense ever.

That, or dig, just keep digging, they'll never find 'em down there. Wink

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:31:26 AM

the best type of LoJackish tracker is one that looks like it is part of the equipment. gut a cell phone with gps and make it look like part of the box and always on. then the powers that be could ping it for it's location.
NoDisco

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:35:05 AM

the best type of LoJackish tracker is one that looks like it is part of the equipment. gut a cell phone with gps and make it look like part of the box and always on. then the powers that be could ping it for it's location.
Yeah, this is exactly what I meant. Something that looked like it was just another part of the machine, but actually sending out the location. Gutting a cell phone is a good idea, although would be hard to keep it powered up unless you could hook up a rechargeable battery to the PSU, so it would always be juiced up.
rizzman

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:44:16 AM

That, or dig, just keep digging, they'll never find 'em down there. Wink

THAT is an epiphany... Everyones minds have just been BLOWN! Shocked
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:45:34 AM

Yeah, this is exactly what I meant. Something that looked like it was just another part of the machine, but actually sending out the location. Gutting a cell phone is a good idea, although would be hard to keep it powered up unless you could hook up a rechargeable battery to the PSU, so it would always be juiced up.

just about every PC has a battery to keep the clock running.
timmmers

Activity: 1176
Merit: 265

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:46:50 AM

Someone nicks mine in February, I do a little dance and call the insurance company. Then I'd have the cash to buy either a discounted replacement or something better if it exists.
I already asked my company (Morethan) and they just said to do like I already do with other "attractive items" worth ove a grand and declare it to them. IF I didn't, it wouldn't be covered. Probably different to other companies so worth a phone call.

A simple laptop security cable and lock (maybe modified) will do to stop most thieves, they want to get in and out ASAP and won't want to mess about.
I use one on my bike and it's worked twice now that I know of.

You could also whack a Butterfly Labs sticker on it, then no-one would want it Smiley

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin

.ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..

█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.TELEGRAM
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4452
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 01:53:15 AM

Actually there was a thread where some guy had his Avalon stolen ...
but I couldn't be bothered looking for it and I don't know what came of it.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 02:11:01 AM

Do not be angry, but it seems that these guys do not know what they make.
If you have a chip with 192 cores asics performing a hash per cycle.
520,000,000 cycles are 520 Mhz    99840000000 hashes 99.84Ghs  
620,000,000 cycles are 600 Mhz  115200000000 hashes 115.2Ghs

But this is not important, the important thing is to know ETA chips.

You're right.  It's not important.

But other then that of course they don't know what the final specs will be.  They won't know that until the chips are done. It depends on the yield as far as the hasher engines.  It depends on thermal output. It depends on a lot of things. Avalon chips are actually underclocked and undervolted, presumably to help with cooling and power, yet they perform 36-40% better then what they were advertized as. .  That's because Bitsyncom gave themselves a large margin between what they advertized and what they were designing for (their chips work up to 450Mhz at the right voltage)

As far as the ETA on their chips, it's certainly something someone considering ordering now should consider. But at the same time I'm not really sure it's a good idea at this point unless they can specify when in October they'll actually ship, as well as how many units they're actually going to sell.  If it's late October and they're going to flood the market, might not be a good deal. Especially if HashFast ships, let alone cointerra.

But its most direct competition already has the chip.

You mean bitfury?   It's weird that we're not hearing more about them.  We probably should be. Oh well.

Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 02:25:09 AM

As far as keeping your unit from getting Stolen get a fake laser security system to scare off thieves.

I doubt thieves would steal it unless they knew what it was.  Someone breaking into a house is going to want to go for stuff that's 1) Expensive and easy to sell and 2) light and easy to carry.

On the other hand if they do know what it is, they will obviously go for it right away (depending on the difficulty)

GPS tracking could make it pretty easy for the government to confiscate them if they ever decided to ban bitcoin mining Tongue

Probably the best thing to do would be to get home-owners/renters insurance and insure it for $40k or whatever you think you'll ROI in it's lifetime.

MrHempstock

Activity: 140

"Don't worry. My career died after Batman, too."

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 02:53:57 AM

Honestly if I was purchasing several of these (or any other manufacturer's offerings) I wouldn't be as concerned with "smash-and-grab" criminals as I would be intelligent, computer(and BTC)-savvy burglars that had already determined how many miners I was likely to have.
I would add cheap GPS tracking to each chassis (like GPStogo or something similar)
I added GPS tracking long ago to anything expensive I value (tool boxes, vehicles, high end PCs and AV gear, etc)

BTCitcointalk 1%ers manipulate the currency and deceive its user community.
MrHempstock

Activity: 140

"Don't worry. My career died after Batman, too."

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 02:56:18 AM

I live in a country where some people would kill me for the platinum in my mouth.

Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.

BTCitcointalk 1%ers manipulate the currency and deceive its user community.
jmevz

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 04:45:48 AM

Someone nicks mine in February, I do a little dance and call the insurance company. Then I'd have the cash to buy either a discounted replacement or something better if it exists.
I already asked my company (Morethan) and they just said to do like I already do with other "attractive items" worth ove a grand and declare it to them. IF I didn't, it wouldn't be covered. Probably different to other companies so worth a phone call.

A simple laptop security cable and lock (maybe modified) will do to stop most thieves, they want to get in and out ASAP and won't want to mess about.
I use one on my bike and it's worked twice now that I know of.

You could also whack a Butterfly Labs sticker on it, then no-one would want it Smiley

lol at the last line

kingcoin

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 05:45:57 AM

Do not be angry, but it seems that these guys do not know what they make.
If you have a chip with 192 cores asics performing a hash per cycle.
520,000,000 cycles are 520 Mhz    99840000000 hashes 99.84Ghs  
620,000,000 cycles are 600 Mhz  115200000000 hashes 115.2Ghs

But this is not important, the important thing is to know ETA chips.

You're right.  It's not important.

But other then that of course they don't know what the final specs will be.  They won't know that until the chips are done. It depends on the yield as far as the hasher engines.  It depends on thermal output. It depends on a lot of things. Avalon chips are actually underclocked and undervolted, presumably to help with cooling and power, yet they perform 36-40% better then what they were advertized as. .  That's because Bitsyncom gave themselves a large margin between what they advertized and what they were designing for (their chips work up to 450Mhz at the right voltage)

Actually you do know the performance of the chip before it's made.

The ASIC vendor will give you timing models and you run static timing analysis on your design and it will tell you the critical path and how fast the device will operate.

However, in most cases the produced device will be faster than the spec. Hence it's possible to overclock the device. But you have no guarantee that the next batch of devices will be as fast, it might be slower, or it might be even faster.

As for thermal they should have a pretty good idea. You try to run a worst case simulation where you generate a VCD file which will show how all the nets in the chip is toggling. Then you run this through some power estimation tool (given a specific package) given by the vendor. This is not 100% accurate and depends on how representative the VCD file is for your worst case. But it gives you a pretty good estimate. Then there are tools to simulate the thermal characteristics of your mechanical system.
Pages: « 1 ... 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 [306] 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: