Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:23:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 [975] 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049463 times)
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:32:07 PM

Had an interesting incident last night. I check my email after six hours and it says the KNC is dead, so I check with Putty and line after line says the share I'm submitting is from the previous block. Anyone else ever had this happen? I'm not sure if it is a cgminer error after running for 3 days or if it's because I'm playing around with a hotter miner. Anyways, resetting the miner worked and it's back to normal. We did have slightly warmer weather yesterday, but I never saw a temp higher than 48 on the miner. I would have grabbed a screenshot, but was worried I bricked the miner. lol  If it happens again, I will grab one though.

Just a note about the temps. I really don't think they are measured at the ASIC so careful with those. Wasn't it you measuring them with an IR thermometer though?

I just gotta say.....Bullshit... I ran 2 of my Sats all the way up to 95C.
All 3 sats love to run at 70C, that's the "Sweetspot".  How can you be warning peeps at 48C? That's just not correcct... at all.

Call bullshit all you want but re-read what I said. I was warning about the placement of the sensors not the temperature itself. In my experience I can stop the cooler fans and the temperature will barely rise. If I stop the case fans it will rise some 10 C. I cannot say for sure the sensors are not on the ASIC but I still think it's a nice warning to the most daring mod posted here (covering the coolers with plastic bags), especially if the temperatures reported are in the 40-50C and he was getting problems. I even asked about the IR sensor precisely because I am not sure.

If you re-read my posts you will see that I am not a "defender of cold temperatures" at all (and if I genuinely were, why wouldn't that be correct?).

After that tell me what exactly is "just not correct at all".

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phoenix1969
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

LIR DEV

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:34:39 PM

Do you really think they meant temp from some other source than the thermometer reading they provided? ....lolz. That's just ludacrist.
and by not correct..I specifically mean you warning peeps about 45 degrees, when KNC specifically said "up to 105"...   Are you trying to confuse people?...  Those are the specs. Period.
45 degrees isn't even half the rated "max temp." You can't understand that?

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876

Etherscan.io

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:36:28 PM

Anyone that puts out at least 1 Gh/s can mine there and sell their output on cex.io.

Sorry for the slightly out of topic, but how does this work? You point your miners to ghash.io and sell your hashes on cex.io?

I thought ghash.io was just a pool for miners and for those who bought shares on cex.io ?

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:40:42 PM

Anyone that puts out at least 1 Gh/s can mine there and sell their output on cex.io.

Sorry for the slightly out of topic, but how does this work? You point your miners to ghash.io and sell your hashes on cex.io?

I thought ghash.io was just a pool for miners and for those who bought shares on cex.io ?

no, you cant sell your hashes on cex.io, if your miners are pointed to ghash. only in-house hasher are for sale, and your miners get btcs like on any other pool. 

FeedbackLoop

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:43:03 PM

Do you really think they meant temp from some other source than the thermometer reading they provided? ....lolz. That's just ludacrist.
and by not correct..I specifically mean you warning peeps about 45 degrees, when KNC specifically said "up to 105"...   Are you trying to confuse people?...  Those are the specs. Period.

I was warning about sensor placement (go read my previous post on why!) and you insist on ignoring what I write. Stop distorting what I said!

I run mine at 69C reported and I posted a lot about the improvement from hotter temperatures with my own setup. What the hell is your fight? Do you think there is a "cold KNC" conspiracy out to get you or what? Seriously, some people will take anything posted as a personal fight. Get off your high horse!
timmmers

Activity: 1176
Merit: 265

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:49:33 PM

Are you also selling your BTC for fiat? If not, to get a completely honest answer you should be doing your calcs in what you would have paid in BTC when you ordered. BTC has appreciated significantly against the USD since you would have ordered.

this dogma will never die here..   I guess it is a clash of old btc-in-hand miners vs the new credit-in-hand miners

the new credit-in-hand miners take your equation and find out they would have paid 0btc for miners since they wouldn't get a miner if they had to try to buy btc on credit first..  would be a total waste of fees if possible, so they just keep the equation in $$$ and factor in the increase of btc value as part of their investment.

I'll say it again.. for a lot of the new miners, there is no 'if you bought it with btc' or 'if you just bought btc'

are all the old miners myopic??  staring at hashings screens for 2-3 years probably does that

Agreed. If you have 50 BTC and have the choice to buy a rig with it (that may or may not break even or even arrive) or just keep your BTC buying a rig is stupid. Buying a mining rig to possibly return what you already have, plus the avoidable risks inherent in the system that are solved by Paypal or CC protection. The very last thing you should use to buy with bitcoins is a miner to create them..it's illogical. Even more so given the past scenarios when people found themselves up shit creek after buying BFL and other manufacturers rigs in BTC.

If the value of BTC rising is your game you're better off trading them properly with leverage and being able to gain from both rises AND falls in value rather than sitting on them .

I paid in dollars, if my rig makes me more than I began with...that's a profit. Simple as that. I can make more in a month trading BTC than any rig should I be up for a gamble, but compared to buying rigs from unknown companies it's a lesser risk.

As for rigs that have run for a couple of weeks and made 1/3 of their value back...that means that so far difficulty hasn't shot up is all. It doesn't mean they will break even, unless the BTC value continues to rise. A week earler on time delivery would have missed a huge increase in difficulty and they would maybe have been 50% or more recovered by now. By Xmas we'll all be crying when we see the amount they manage to produce even compared to now. We knew that though, but we had the word of KNC to deliver to rely on to make our decision. Those early days let us all down badly and some people who lost out over 2 diff increases were royally screwed.

Reality seems to be the enemy of people buying this gear.

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin

.ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..

█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.TELEGRAM
FeedbackLoop

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 06:03:58 PM

When are people going to get it through their heads that ghash.io is NOT a "bitfury pool"

Probably about the same time they remove this from their login page:

+1

Re-reading that I don't feel sorry for thinking it was associated with Bitfury (in fact isn't there any link really? I would really like to know). My initial post, as quoted, remains valid in the sense that the current allegations about Ghash.io may indeed hurt Bitfury's reputation (to the benefit of KNC which was the context in which I was replying to). The allegations against ghash.io are serious and the evidence is compelling.

Phoenix1969
Legendary

LIR DEV

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 06:14:54 PM

I was warning about sensor placement (go read my previous post on why!) and you insist on ignoring what I write. Stop distorting what I said!

I run mine at 69C reported and I posted a lot about the improvement from hotter temperatures with my own setup. What the hell is your fight? Do you think there is a "cold KNC" conspiracy out to get you or what? Seriously, some people will take anything posted as a personal fight. Get off your high horse!

I respect your thoughts, so I'm trying to understand what the hell you are talking about...
Then why did you warn him to be careful, when he said his temps barely reached 45?  
What is to be careful about then considering sensor placement?
I'm even more confused now.....
What is the point?
What is the concern/why should he be concerned with the sensor?

▀▀███▀
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 06:20:51 PM

Is good idea for a good miner to install firmware 0.98.1?
h438dlk34

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 06:25:14 PM

Is good idea for a good miner to install firmware 0.98.1?

There isn't a .98.1

Unofficial/beta firmware addressing the die #0 failed issue:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=323116.0 (see 2nd post)
FeedbackLoop

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 06:29:08 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2013, 07:08:45 PM by FeedbackLoop

Then why did you warn him to be careful, when he said his temps barely reached 45?  
What is to be careful about then considering sensor placement?
I'm even more confused now.....
What is the point?
What is the concern with the sensor?

I think I was quite clear but here it is again distilling the arguments for different sensor placement THAT I KNOW OF (again I am not attacking you and I was not trying to prove anything about sensor placement, I was just giving a word of caution.)

Sorry to the readers that have read this already above and that are getting tired of a 1000 page thread:

Reasons to warn another user to be cautious about the assumption that the sensors are placed directly on the ASIC:
1 - user's unit has bags wrapping coolers instead of fans and is reading a low temp
2 - unit mentioned above started having problems (should we abstain from posting one line of concern to not get anyone offended??)
3 - my own posted personal experience removing cooler fans (small increase of T) versus removing case fans (large increase of T)

Reasons to not warn another user about the assumption that the sensors are placed directly on the ASIC:
1 - Emilia said so apparently
2 - hot is good and we don't want to mislead other users that can only read 1 page back in the thread.  

Frankly KNC's customer support told me a lot of things that were not true before because they wanted to rush me (such as 5 different delivery dates and different locations of the unit). Perhaps that has changed but forgive me for posting warnings based on observations to a guy with plastic bags for fans (which I think is totally awesome and have reposted before but still plastic bags for fans):

Phoenix1969
Legendary

LIR DEV

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 06:48:27 PM

I respect your thoughts... that's why I ask...
...and why the info struck me as odd...
Yeah...  the bags did give me a chuckle...
There has to be a better way for Him...
Like getting the thing out of that cold basement...

▀▀███▀
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
Mogumodz

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 06:54:52 PM

Strange things happening...

I tested the Jupiter on p2pool last night for an hour.
When I brought it back to Eligius, It starts hashing faster than it ever has...

Bitcoin OTC rating GPG ID: 3E7974A1 P2Pool statistics: p2pool.info
FeedbackLoop

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:05:14 PM

Sorry if I sounded aggressive. You were the main person who made me take the jump to a hotter setup back in 0.95. You are also one of the few taking the brunt of the (voluntary) effort to  give support here. You deserve a lot of credit for that (from KNC also)! It gets a bit hard to not get a bit defensive when you see some people acting way too sensitive to well intended posts (fortunately for me, so far, I only had one of those which I mostly brushed off but you do see it a lot here).

Phoenix1969
Legendary

LIR DEV

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:19:13 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2013, 07:34:50 PM by Phoenix1969

Sorry if I sounded aggressive. You were the main person who made me take the jump to a hotter setup back in 0.95. You are also one of the few taking the brunt of the (voluntary) effort to  give support here. You deserve a lot of credit for that (from KNC also)! It gets a bit hard to not get a bit defensive when you see some people acting way too sensitive to well intended posts (fortunately for me, so far, I only had one of those which I mostly brushed off but you do see it a lot here).

Ditto...sorry if I sounded jerk-ish, Ewok didn't mean it... Smiley

BTW...
I just ran Bertmod for the first time,
It showed all cores on all machines at 100%, except one had 3 cores on a single die...dead...
I tightened the screws a bit more on that board... (very tight)
It brought them back!!!!
Bertmod is awesome!
Now 100% on all boards!

edit...spoke too soon... they shut off one by one within two mins still...  Tongue
will try to coax them back.... 

▀▀███▀
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:21:05 PM

How does Eligius pay out directly from the block then if it must receive the block first???

... in pool "mining" there must be an entity to receive the reward, what is not the pool participant. The reward needs to be transmitted (first transaction) to the entity which "solves" the block.[/b] You are failing to understand that the receiver (thus the "solver") it is not the pool participant.

That is not a correct statement.   p2pool and eligius are evidence of that.

The pool creates a coinbase entry assigning the block reward to itself.

That is also an incorrect.  Note the specific pools I named.  If you don't know how they work well thats fine but it might not be a good idea to provide "corrections"

True.

I was not aware that Eligius pool had changed their way to pay the shares. So you are right, my statement was incorrect.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Eligius

When a block is found, all miners who have reached the minimum payout threshold (currently about 0.17 BTC) are paid via the Generation transaction.
AussieHash

Activity: 692

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:33:32 PM

I am sure everyone has read through and absorbed this nugget, yes?  If not do so and see what most likely lies ahead.  Not to scare anyone, just to be an informed miner.

Estimate of ASIC pre-orders: 11 to 13 PH/s (diff 1.5B to 1.8B) by end of 2013

Go thru that list and laugh at all the failure....

ASICMiner? Haven't shown much as of yet and gen 2 was a fail.
Avalon? Lol...outdated chips and they screwed the entire community.
Hashfast? Delivery before Dec 31st they are now saying....many of their cusotmers are realizing that they will never make money and are jumping ship.

Bitfury...legit deliveries...only real competitor right now.

Basically everyone who bought late is now asking for a refund and they intend to buy instead of mine.

I'd say there will be no where near the difficulty that thread is proposing by the end of the year.

It's got maybe a couple more big jump in diff left and then it will stall for a bit.  

http://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty
The network hashrate has been growing by over 100TH per day. Even with KnC having shut down manufacturing till mid Nov, and ASICMiner/labcoin/tytus/HF/cointerra are late, the network is still growing at an increasing rate
http://bitcoin.sipa.be/growth.png
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:37:20 PM

Regarding temperature sensor data, I decided to do a simple test...

Dude I've said Bertmod gives VRM temps, as has Uski.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
ferda2mx

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:42:25 PM

Reporting back on FW 0.98.1

Jupiter 3 with 2 bad dies was hashing at 487 GH/s

20mins in with FW 0.98.1 I'm now hashing at 526 GH/s  Smiley

Still not 550- but I'll take it.

Thank you for your report. Anyone tried to upgrade already good miner?

I dont know if I have to risk messing it up
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:47:49 PM

Reporting back on FW 0.98.1

Jupiter 3 with 2 bad dies was hashing at 487 GH/s

20mins in with FW 0.98.1 I'm now hashing at 526 GH/s  Smiley

Still not 550- but I'll take it.

Thank you for your report. Anyone tried to upgrade already good miner?

I dont know if I have to risk messing it up

No need, this was to help the guys with failing die 0s.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Pages: « 1 ... 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 [975] 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: