Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:14:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 89 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DiabloMiner GPU Miner  (Read 866198 times)
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2011, 07:17:22 PM

Just curious, but is it normal for Java to use nearly 100% of my CPU while mining?

I know for certain my GPU is being utilized, as my hash rate is what I'd expect (85 mhash for a Radeon 5670), but my Athlon 64 3200+ is pegged the whole time as well. Is this normal?

I notice that if I use VNC to connect to my mining rig (which runs Win7) that UltraVNC and Java fight for my CPU time and my hash rate drops big time... almost like Java cannot feed the GPU data fast enough?

It's not a big deal, as my mining box is a dedicated machine, but it did strike me as odd. Thoughts?

Don't use SDK 2.2 or 2.3, thats a known bug with them.

Oh...oops... I thought I mentioned it in my post, but apparently I didn't... I am using SDK 2.4... does that change anything?

SDK 2.4 does't have that bug, but its quite possible Catalyst after around 11.3 still does. Someone on IRC had to go the whole way back to 10.11 + SDK 2.1 to make it stop.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1bitc0inplz

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 07:23:22 PM

SDK 2.4 does't have that bug, but its quite possible Catalyst after around 11.3 still does. Someone on IRC had to go the whole way back to 10.11 + SDK 2.1 to make it stop.

Cool deal. Again, no biggie. Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, good job on the miner... I love how easy it was to setup.

Mine @ http://pool.bitp.it - No fees, virtually 0 stales, what's not to love!
Chat with us @ #bitp.it on irc.freenode.net
Learn more about our pool @ http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12181.0
ape

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 05:29:19 AM

Yeah, I'm getting the cpu use bug as well with 11.5a and stream 2.1. I don't want to have any more downtime messing with it (took like an hour yesterday to try a few driver versions and the cpu use persisted).
It's not lagging my desktop, so I'm just living with it for now.
Jim Hyslop

Activity: 98
Merit: 20

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 01:27:52 AM

Make sure you have at least 11.1, and it was installed right, and you built the kernel module and its being loaded before X starts. Your 2D and 3D acceleration is dead, and OpenCL isn't going to work either. And since you'd be on 11.1 or later, make sure you're using SDK 2.4
Thanks for the tips. I have been a bit busy lately, so it might be a day or two before I get to this. Meanwhile, it's limping along CPU-mining :-/
OK, it's been a bit more than "a day or two" :-)

Recap: I have two Radeon HD 6870s running under Debian.

I ended up wiping the system and re-installing from scratch. I have 11.3 installed, with SDK 2.4. It's not crashing any more, but now I get the error "No OpenCL platforms found".

Any suggestions?

Like my answer? Did I help? Tips gratefully accepted here: 1H6wM8Xj8GNrhqWBrnDugd8Vf3nAfZgMnq
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 03:35:40 AM

Make sure you have at least 11.1, and it was installed right, and you built the kernel module and its being loaded before X starts. Your 2D and 3D acceleration is dead, and OpenCL isn't going to work either. And since you'd be on 11.1 or later, make sure you're using SDK 2.4
Thanks for the tips. I have been a bit busy lately, so it might be a day or two before I get to this. Meanwhile, it's limping along CPU-mining :-/
OK, it's been a bit more than "a day or two" :-)

Recap: I have two Radeon HD 6870s running under Debian.

I ended up wiping the system and re-installing from scratch. I have 11.3 installed, with SDK 2.4. It's not crashing any more, but now I get the error "No OpenCL platforms found".

Any suggestions?

Forgot to cd /; sudo tar zxvf /path/to/AMD-APP-SDK-2.4/icd-registration.tgz?

DustinEwan

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 09:15:58 AM

I'm having an issue on OSX 1.6 x64 using JRE 1.6 SDK 2.4.

Whenever I try to use -v setting besides 6, 21, or not using it at all I receive the following error:

Code:
[5/17/11 6:07:03 PM] Started
[5/17/11 6:07:03 PM] Connecting to: http://mining.bitcoin.cz:8332
Invalid memory access of location 0x111c74000 rip=0x7fff88f1b502

./DiabloMiner-OSX.sh: line 3:  9717 Segmentation fault      java -Xmx16m -cp target/libs/*:target/DiabloMiner.jar -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.library.path=target/libs/natives/macosx com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner $@

I really have no idea what the problem is.

Also, I'm running a Radeon 5770.

If I use no -v then my khash/sec hovers at around 80~86

If I use -v 6 then my khash/sec hovers at around 10~14

If I use -v 21 then my khash/sec hovers at round 30~35

Are these figures normal?  Are they affected by anything else in the system?  Sorry if these types of questions have been addressed before, but I tried to search and it turned up nothing valuable.

Thank you very much in advance Cheesy
Druas

Activity: 78

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 10:38:33 AM

You can use bitcoin -server instead of bitcoind. I'm not sure if the OSX binaries build bitcoind.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I run bitcoin with the -server option?  Terminal doesn't recognize it.  Do I need to build from source and run that?

I don't understand your question. You download the OSX binaries from the Bitcoin website, unzip them, open up Terminal, cd to the directory, and then ./bitcoin -server & exit
First off, do your best to explain it as you would to someone who has no idea what they are doing because I am a noob, especially when it comes to bitcoin. Now, what I have done so far is download bitcoin-0.3.21 for mac from the website. I then copied the Bitcoin.app to the Applications folder. I cd to the bitcoin in the Bitcoin.app package and typed "./bitcoin -server". I got "Warning: To use the "-server" option, you must set rpcpassword=<password> in the configuration file: /Users/myusername/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/bitcoin.conf If the file does not exist, create it with owner-readable-only file permissions." So then I opened up TextEdit and created a bitcoin.rtf with just rpcuser=username rpcpassword=password. Then I changed the .rtf to .conf, changed it from read and write to just read, and copied it to the directory it told me to. I again tried "./bitcoin -server" and I got:

"EXCEPTION: N5boost16exception_detail10clone_implINS0_19error_info_injectorINS_15program_op tions14invalid_syntaxEEEEE      
unrecognized line in '{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1038\cocoasubrtf350'      
bitcoin in AppInit() "

and

"EXCEPTION: N5boost16exception_detail10clone_implINS0_19error_info_injectorINS_15program_op tions14invalid_syntaxEEEEE      
unrecognized line in '{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1038\cocoasubrtf350'      
bitcoin in CMyApp::OnUnhandledException()"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Another thought: In order to get DiabloMiner to work in OS X I HAVE to be running in -server, correct? My goal is to use GPU (only get 2800 with CPU) and to then configure DiabloMiner to work with pooled mining.

Thanks again!
DustinEwan

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 11:15:30 AM

Another thought: In order to get DiabloMiner to work in OS X I HAVE to be running in -server, correct? My goal is to use GPU (only get 2800 with CPU) and to then configure DiabloMiner to work with pooled mining.

Thanks again!

I'm a bit new to this, too, but being a software engineer helps to understand these things somewhat Smiley

Anyway, maybe this will help you.  You only need to do all that configuration if you plan to mine solo.  Since you want to mine in a pool, then what you need to do is create an account with whatever BitCoin Pool you would like to contribute to.

The pool will give you a URL and a Port to connect to with the miner.  In the case of Slush's Pool the url would be: http://mining.bitcoin.cz:8332

When you run DiabloMiner you need to supply your username, password, and the url when you run the script.  I like to do this all in one command. So if you want to run the miner with Slush's Pool like I do, you would need to open terminal, cd to your DiabloMiner, and type:

Code:
./DiabloMiner-OSX.sh --url http://username:password@mining.bitcoin.cz:8332

Depending on the pool you may have to register a "Worker" (I use Slush's Pool and you have to there) and that is the username and password that you will supply.  Just follow the instructions with the pool you would like to contribute to and that should get you straightened out.

Hope that helps!
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 02:43:18 PM

You can use bitcoin -server instead of bitcoind. I'm not sure if the OSX binaries build bitcoind.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I run bitcoin with the -server option?  Terminal doesn't recognize it.  Do I need to build from source and run that?

I don't understand your question. You download the OSX binaries from the Bitcoin website, unzip them, open up Terminal, cd to the directory, and then ./bitcoin -server & exit
First off, do your best to explain it as you would to someone who has no idea what they are doing because I am a noob, especially when it comes to bitcoin.

You're asking for the wrong thing. Bitcoin GUI should have this stuff in the preferences somewhere.

Now, what I have done so far is download bitcoin-0.3.21 for mac from the website. I then copied the Bitcoin.app to the Applications folder. I cd to the bitcoin in the Bitcoin.app package and typed "./bitcoin -server". I got "Warning: To use the "-server" option, you must set rpcpassword=<password> in the configuration file: /Users/myusername/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/bitcoin.conf If the file does not exist, create it with owner-readable-only file permissions." So then I opened up TextEdit and created a bitcoin.rtf with just rpcuser=username rpcpassword=password. Then I changed the .rtf to .conf, changed it from read and write to just read, and copied it to the directory it told me to. I again tried "./bitcoin -server" and I got:

You were okay right up to the point you saved it as a .rtf. As far as I know OSX does not include a UI app that can save .txt files short of opening the terminal and using nano or vim.

Thanks again!

No, if you're connecting the client to a pool, you don't even have to have bitcoin running on that machine.

Druas

Activity: 78

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 09:58:23 PM

First off, do your best to explain it as you would to someone who has no idea what they are doing because I am a noob, especially when it comes to bitcoin.

You're asking for the wrong thing. Bitcoin GUI should have this stuff in the preferences somewhere.

Now, what I have done so far is download bitcoin-0.3.21 for mac from the website. I then copied the Bitcoin.app to the Applications folder. I cd to the bitcoin in the Bitcoin.app package and typed "./bitcoin -server". I got "Warning: To use the "-server" option, you must set rpcpassword=<password> in the configuration file: /Users/myusername/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/bitcoin.conf If the file does not exist, create it with owner-readable-only file permissions." So then I opened up TextEdit and created a bitcoin.rtf with just rpcuser=username rpcpassword=password. Then I changed the .rtf to .conf, changed it from read and write to just read, and copied it to the directory it told me to. I again tried "./bitcoin -server" and I got:

You were okay right up to the point you saved it as a .rtf. As far as I know OSX does not include a UI app that can save .txt files short of opening the terminal and using nano or vim.

As far as I know, there is nothing in the Bitcon GUI preferences on running in -server. Maybe I just didn't find it. And you were definitely right about the .rtf. I copied a .conf that was made in windows and the errors went away and -server finally worked.

DustinEwan - I am not exactly sure what makes someone choose one pool over another, but Slush's seems fair and trustworthy, so I went with it.

I thought I would report my results as, thanks to you guys, I have got everything working. I tried -v 3 and -v 19 and then -w 64, -w 128, and -w256. I think for my AMD Radeon HD 6750M my best configuration is: ./DiabloMiner-OSX.sh -u myusernamehere -p mypasswordhere -o mining.bitcoin.cz -r 8332 -v 3 -w 128

If anyone has any other suggestions, I am open to trying them.
EDIT: with that config I get about 30000 to 35000 khash/sec
EgoPaintedGrey

Activity: 77

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 12:54:55 AM

I´m running this: start /DC:\blablah\Diablo-D3-DiabloMiner-b975ca7\Diablo-D3-DiabloMiner-b975ca7 DiabloMiner-Windows.exe -u myuser -p mypw -o deepbit.net -r 8332 -f1, and tried all -v and all -w values.
I can´t reach nothing near my 430 Mhash/sec with my 5870 on the phatk, what am i doing wrong?
Jim Hyslop

Activity: 98
Merit: 20

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:45:48 AM

Forgot to cd /; sudo tar zxvf /path/to/AMD-APP-SDK-2.4/icd-registration.tgz?
Nope, didn't forget. Nothing I read anywhere said I had to do that. So I did, and now I'm back where I started: as soon as I start DiabloMiner I'm booted out of my login session.

You know how at the top of this thread you say that Ubuntu doesn't work? I think you need to mention Debian as well. I guess that makes sense - Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian, after all.

So, now it's time to reformat and install Windoze, and see if that goes any better.

Like my answer? Did I help? Tips gratefully accepted here: 1H6wM8Xj8GNrhqWBrnDugd8Vf3nAfZgMnq
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 03:08:04 AM

As far as I know, there is nothing in the Bitcon GUI preferences on running in -server. Maybe I just didn't find it. And you were definitely right about the .rtf. I copied a .conf that was made in windows and the errors went away and -server finally worked.

DustinEwan - I am not exactly sure what makes someone choose one pool over another, but Slush's seems fair and trustworthy, so I went with it.

I thought I would report my results as, thanks to you guys, I have got everything working. I tried -v 3 and -v 19 and then -w 64, -w 128, and -w256. I think for my AMD Radeon HD 6750M my best configuration is: ./DiabloMiner-OSX.sh -u myusernamehere -p mypasswordhere -o mining.bitcoin.cz -r 8332 -v 3 -w 128

If anyone has any other suggestions, I am open to trying them.
EDIT: with that config I get about 30000 to 35000 khash/sec

What I was trying to say was, there is nothing in the preferences for it, and there should be. Editing a conf file sucks, especially for Windows and OSX users.

As for your 6750M, thats a Turks, which means its a VLIW4 type arch. This includes 64xx, 65xx, 66xx, 69xx, 64xxM, 66xxM, and 67xxM. A lot of VLIW4 users find -v 3 to be fastest.

DustinEwan

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 03:22:57 PM

Diablo, I made some slight optimizations to some of your loops.  I also made a pull/merge request on github for the changes.

For anyone that is interested in trying it out, you can download a compiled binary here.

I also included the DiabloMiner.java file if you would like to download the current build and compile the build with my changes.  Here is a diff from my commit on github.

I've only been able to test the changes on my GeForce 250M here at home, but my first test results show:

Before loop optimization - 13.5 ~ 15MHash
After loop optimzation - 16 ~ 17.5MHash

It's a modest improvement at best, but in the battle for speed every clock cycle counts.
DustinEwan

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 05:24:50 PM

I found some more optimization within your kernel that have given me a .6 ~ 1MHash boost on my GeForce 250M.

Here is the link to the new binaries and as before the source DiabloMiner.java is available for recompiling.
EgoPaintedGrey

Activity: 77

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 12:26:41 AM

Diablo what am i doing wrong?
ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 11:18:24 AM

It's a modest improvement at best, but in the battle for speed every clock cycle counts.

Using your modified miner I was able to hit a top speed of 1,693 Mh/s on my dual 6990 950Mhz/300Mhz setup. Not sure if that was due to the overclocking/underclocking or to using your new miner as I OC'ed my cards at the same time that I switched to your miner, but based on the fact that the hardware comparison page lists 772Mh/s as the best recorded 6990 time, I'm going to guess a good chunk of that was due to your miner. 846Mh/s on a card is not bad at all!

Good work. :-)
DustinEwan

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 12:22:15 PM

Using your modified miner I was able to hit a top speed of 1,693 Mh/s on my dual 6990 950Mhz/300Mhz setup. Not sure if that was due to the overclocking/underclocking or to using your new miner as I OC'ed my cards at the same time that I switched to your miner, but based on the fact that the hardware comparison page lists 772Mh/s as the best recorded 6990 time, I'm going to guess a good chunk of that was due to your miner. 846Mh/s on a card is not bad at all!

Good work. :-)

Could you do me a favor and test with Diablo's most recent version too.. .I dunno why but I get varying results with my card here at work.  His latest release is outperforming mine by a longshot here at work, but on my NVidia card at home my version outperforms his -shrug-

Also, I've noticed that lowering that work unit to 64 and raising z to some multiple of 2 gives me much better performance.  Seems like it fills the shader processors better that way (but what do I know, really? Tongue)
DustinEwan

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 12:50:32 PM

So, I also made a few modifications to the kernel this time.  I noticed that there were a few lines that could be combined (such as the last ZH assignment) and I shuffled around some of the operations since not all operations are created equal.

Usually a mathematical operation on a constant is faster than an assignment, so it's computationally cheaper to have only 2 assignments and subtract the difference than to have 3 assignments (although you do lose some readability).

Also, I noticed in your DOLOOP declaration that you compare it to LOOPS every time.

It is usually computationally cheaper to refactor the loop so that you compare your counter against 0 and then compute the value you need from it later than it is to do a compare against a non-zero value.

Again, these changes certainly won't be groundbreaking, but I have noticed some improvement on my machine here at work. Somewhere between 10 ~ 20 MHash on average..

I've included the DiabloMiner.cl with this post.  If you want to use it, open DiabloMiner/target/DiabloMiner.jar with winzip, winrar, 7zip, whatever you wanna use and replace DiabloMiner.cl with the one I've included.

I suggest you backup your DiabloMiner.jar before you make any changes just in case you don't like it.  Hope all is well Cheesy
elmarko

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 01:21:35 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2019, 07:57:01 PM by elmarko

In general, they collected a custom tablet, it turned out to increase the speed from 50 to 80 Mh / s (on the rx5700), but this is short-lived.
There is no opportunity to check for the long term, if anyone has such an opportunity, please check and unsubscribe
I leave a link to the Yandex drive
Copy the contents to the glue folder and run.
During the test, the speed increased gradually over 15-20 minutes, but this is on the rx5700, as it is difficult to say on other cards - you need to test.
Abrupt abrupt temperature was not noticed. Whoever has the opportunity to run the test on other cards will be grateful, I have no opportunities.
I attach the link below:
https://yadi.sk/d/PYmfkmXDgNmJbg
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 89 »
  Print  

Jump to: