Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:16:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 [1110] 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 06:38:17 AM

They definitely won't make it illegal, I'm sorry if that's how what i said came across

Of course you can still use bitcoin, this is the land of the free. However, to stop money laundering and save us from terrorists, drug dealers and sex traffickers everyone has to use this government issued wallet software to transfer bitcoins, which enables tracking of all whitelist coins.

Yes bitcoin will still confirm any transaction, but if you ever transfer one of your whitelist coins from coinbase or your employer to a non-whitelist coin by using your own wallet software, you go to jail. If you own a blacklist coin and try to pay any business, they flag the transfer and you go to jail. Technically bitcoin still works and is still legal, but it has been co-opted. The above scenario also isn't that hard to implement, we already have it with banks and cash.

Yesterday it was the same with gold, they didn't outlaw gold per se, instead they said you had to transfer gold to the gov who gave you an equivalent amount of dollars that were the same as gold, that they could now track within the banks.

Today it is the same with cash, they are not outlawing cash, but any amount or transaction above a nominal amount has to be kept in electronic form in bank accounts, enabling full tracking and ownership by the government, this is today. They could easily legislate this for bitcoin.

The only thing that stops that from happening is a large enough percentage of the population saying no. It sounds that many here think there will be enough who say no, my fear is there isn't.

Also, if this is how it plays out, we'll all be rich as sin. Provided of course that we whitelist our coins and pay our due (taxes). If not, you go to jail. Given this choice I'm sure many here will choose to whitelist their coins and retire.

The point I've been trying to make for a long time now is that 'quality' is vastly more important here than 'quantity'.

If native Bitcoin were used almost exclusively by entities who had some immunity to the problems than can vex an individual of the masses then the system might have a chance.  Of course the system would also need to be defensible, and being a tiny system like our current 7 TPS implementation goes a long way.  Operators who are highly proficient and motivated could probably maintain a functional system without use of the global internet at all, or at least uses it in such a way as to be undetected and thus more difficult to attack.

This has nothing to do with being 'elite' or whatever.  The beauty of sidechains with it's two-way-peg would be that it would spread the brute strength of native Bitcoin around to a multitude of sidechains users of all varieties.  I'd anticipate many sidechains 'playing ball' with the authorities and being as invasive as the govt demands.  Fine.  I don't give two shits if Uncle Sam knows that I bought a burger at Mon Mar 23 22:40:30 PDT 2015 with McDonaldscoin which I acquired from Bob on Tue Apr 29 12:15:56 PDT 2014.  When I want privacy I'll use a sidechain which is more focused on that problem or native Bitcoin itself.

A very valid argument is that if the government could mandate whitelisting for one-size-for-all Bitcoin they could do so for native Bitcoin used primarily as a balancing and backing currency as well?  My theory is that with 'power users' forming the mainstay of the userbase in this case they would be less susceptible to coercion and better prepared to defend against it.  And again, the smaller the system core can be, the more options it has to hide.  'Small' in this case is, if anything, inversely proportional to value since the real value would be the ability to remain autonomous of coercive regimes.  The value would be effectively the summation of the value of all presently active sidechains.

I would point out also that currency systems are quite empowering in a number of ways.  That's why governments try to monopolize them and why other entities regularly try to create their own.  The interest in coupons and gift cards and such exemplify this to some degree.  A ready-made sidechain solution which an entity could adopt which rides on a proven and valuable backing store (hopefully Bitcoin) would be a juicy morsel for all manner of entities and some of them quite large and powerful.  If these types could be enlisted in support of native Bitcoin (knowing that govt subversion of it would ruin their sidechain value) then they make potentially powerful allies.  Much more so than some number of individual plebs even if that number was fairly large and it is highly questionable that it ever really would be.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
majamalu
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2015, 06:44:15 AM

Yesterday it was the same with gold, they didn't outlaw gold per se, instead they said you had to transfer gold to the gov who gave you an equivalent amount of dollars that were the same as gold, that they could now track within the banks.

Today it is the same with cash, they are not outlawing cash, but any amount or transaction above a nominal amount has to be kept in electronic form in bank accounts, enabling full tracking and ownership by the government, this is today. They could easily legislate this for bitcoin.

They were able to introduce paper dollars because these are, in many ways, better than gold coins; then they were able to introduce electronic dollars because these are, in many ways, better than paper dollars. But this works as long as the new system reduces friction in payments. Now the game is over.

http://elbitcoin.org - Bitcoin en español
http://mercadobitcoin.com - MercadoBitcoin
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 07:11:30 AM

If Gavin is worried about not being able to fork after the next potential burst why not apply Justus idea [1], too much coding with not enough time?
[1]https://bitcoinism.liberty.me/2015/02/09/economic-fallacies-and-the-block-size-limit-part-2-price-discovery/

Because who pays for that coding? And who can be sure that the proposal, even if completed and tested, will be adopted?

Andresen's position seems to be: (i) he takes responsibility for coding and testing a solution that as far as he can see takes care of the issue well into the future (ii) he does this with sufficient time for others to analyze it, so that, whatever else happens (iii) there is at least one safe fall-back option.

Can he guarantee his proposal is optimal? Of course not. It is just quite reassuring for it to be out.

All you said is correct independently from the adopted solution. The chief scientist is in charge and he's doing what he think is the best compromise between techinal and political aspects to get the changes accepted. i got it. All come down to accountability and feasibility.

And I want to underline that I really do appreciate the way is moving both on the technical and political ground.

What I think is tha Justus' proposal has solid theoretical economic background, a brilliant way to introduce a price discovery mechanism for the P2P network and, more to the point, it kills to birds with one stone introducing an economic incentive for people to run full nodes.

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
sickpig
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 07:20:45 AM

JR,

what's up with Odom leaving Monetas?
I only know one side of the story right now, so I can't really say.

Why aren't more people talking about this? OT was supposed to be huge for Bitcoin, it was Chris' baby for a long time now...

well i tried
https://github.com/FellowTraveler?tab=activity

Ok got it. Almost one year of inactivity on the OT pub repo. So it started long ago it's not that all of sudden he decided to leave monetas (or have been "fired" fwiw).

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 03:07:14 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2015, 04:25:30 PM by uki

here is just quote of the ex-CEO of Credit Suisse, actually linking both gold and Bitcoin and not putting them in the two opposite camps:
http://cointelegraph.com/news/113441/ex-credit-suisse-ceo-invest-in-gold-and-bitcoin-long-term-not-fiat

this space is intentionally left blank
WhatNow44

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 03:11:22 PM

No "Gold collapsing, bitcoin UP" today?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CA3qO7HVIAAEhtm.png
ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 03:19:23 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/feces-contains-gold-worth-millions-224632128.html

Do NOT flush!   Cheesy
hdbuck
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 03:24:49 PM

No "Gold collapsing, bitcoin UP" today?

bulltrap
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:24:43 PM

Almost one year of inactivity on the OT pub repo.
There's been quite a bit of activity in the OT repos recently:

https://github.com/Open-Transactions/opentxs/commits/develop
sickpig
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:35:15 PM

I've looked at

https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/commits/master

I was somewhat tricked by the mobile version of github.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:59:53 PM

I've looked at

https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/commits/master

I was somewhat tricked by the mobile version of github.
The Open-Transactions repo was split up into several modules and is deprecated. opentxs is now the primary OT library repo.

https://github.com/FellowTraveler/opentxs/commits/develop
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2015, 06:41:19 PM

More whining and FUD from the buggy-whip making Luddites:
Bitcoin’s lien problem

Part of the BitcoinMania series

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2015/03/24/2122678/bitcoins-lien-problem/

At cryptocurrency and fintech conferences, FT Alphaville often hears Bitcoin enthusiasts make the assertion that Bitcoin is superior to fiat currency because it eliminates debt from the monetary system.

But this, of course, is a fallacy.

Bitcoin may have the potential to create a fully-funded reserve system, but it certainly doesn’t eliminate debt from any system.

At best, Bitcoin’s public ledger records a transfer of digital access rights in the eyes of the clearing network. It does not, however, record or see the terms and conditions of that transfer...

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 06:44:10 PM

More whining and FUD from the buggy-whip making Luddites:
Bitcoin’s lien problem

Part of the BitcoinMania series

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2015/03/24/2122678/bitcoins-lien-problem/

At cryptocurrency and fintech conferences, FT Alphaville often hears Bitcoin enthusiasts make the assertion that Bitcoin is superior to fiat currency because it eliminates debt from the monetary system.

But this, of course, is a fallacy.

Bitcoin may have the potential to create a fully-funded reserve system, but it certainly doesn’t eliminate debt from any system.

At best, Bitcoin’s public ledger records a transfer of digital access rights in the eyes of the clearing network. It does not, however, record or see the terms and conditions of that transfer...

paywall.  how bout posting the article?
79b79aa8d5047da6d3XX

Activity: 660
Merit: 101

Colletrix - Bridging the Physical and Virtual Worl

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 07:51:05 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2015, 09:48:19 PM by 79b79aa8d5047da6d3XX

Does anybody know what happened to the Chicago Sun Times accepting BTC micropayments?

I would certainly pay 0.0005 BTC for reading that FT article.

EDIT: Incredibly, this is being discussed today on /r/Bitcoin, with people from the WSJ and CST chiming in.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/302q8s/can_wsj_please_allow_bitcoin_microtransactions_to/

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 12:50:22 AM

what a bunch of whiny bitches:

In particular, Mr Browne pointed to virtual currencies such as Bitcoin, which he said had raised concerns about money laundering, since Bitcoin companies are not subject to the same anti-laundering legislation as banks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/11490145/Banks-vulnerable-to-liquidity-squeeze-as-digital-shift-hastens-capital-flight.html
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 12:51:51 AM

rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 01:55:59 AM

They were able to introduce paper dollars because these are, in many ways, better than gold coins; then they were able to introduce electronic dollars because these are, in many ways, better than paper dollars. But this works as long as the new system reduces friction in payments. Now the game is over.

Agree with you, that is why I am here and invested. But I'd characterize bitcoin as "having a fighting chance" because the system reduces friction, not that "the game is over". It will be a long battle, and they haven't even started to use the various tools at their disposal.
majamalu
Legendary

Activity: 1652

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 03:08:47 AM

Agree with you, that is why I am here and invested. But I'd characterize bitcoin as "having a fighting chance" because the system reduces friction, not that "the game is over". It will be a long battle, and they haven't even started to use the various tools at their disposal.

If they didn't destroy Bitcoin is not because they never wanted to, but because they can't. Look at what they did to centralized monetary systems far smaller than Bitcoin.

My guess is they are silently migrating their own wealth to Bitcoin before full legalization. But you are right: there's no way to know for sure.

http://elbitcoin.org - Bitcoin en español
http://mercadobitcoin.com - MercadoBitcoin
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:36:14 AM

If they didn't destroy Bitcoin is not because they never wanted to, but because they can't. Look at what they did to centralized monetary systems far smaller than Bitcoin.

My guess is they are silently migrating their own wealth to Bitcoin before full legalization. But you are right: there's no way to know for sure.

sometimes it's hard for ppl to recognize that which sits right before their very faces.  step back and look to those far corners of the Earth where Bitcoin has spread.
silverfuture
Legendary

Activity: 947

central banking = outdated protocol

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 12:15:38 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NastyFans - The Fan Club for Bitcoin Enthusiasts | MININGCOINS | POOL | ESCROW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pages: « 1 ... 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 [1110] 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: