Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:20:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032138 times)
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 07:23:31 PM

Time praying for lost souls was better spent in all those altcoin threads back in 2013. But I'll leave this thread to the OP again for the real info.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 08:23:32 PM

>A token with inherent utility

WTF does that even mean?  

@Wekkel re. "Some take their chances and act":  You're just running with scissors.  Nothing laudable about that.

"Token money is money made from tokens of some form, as opposed to account money. Most modern coins used in circulation are token money, as are paper notes."

Bitcoin = Token with utility BUILT-IN to its protocol. If you don't understand that sorry I can't help you.
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 08:26:48 PM

I wonder when NLC panic buys Smiley

NLC bought at $1200, sold at $200, and sold short at $160.  He doesn't have any money left to panic buy.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 09:31:55 PM

I wonder when NLC panic buys Smiley

NLC bought at $1200, sold at $200, and sold short at $160.  He doesn't have any money left to panic buy.

HAHAHAH yea i saw his order history... its pretty bad. I heard he took a line of credit to short @ $160 too.. hes in the red about to lose his shirt a few more bucks.
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 09:49:54 PM

The trick is not to panic about "how the market could possibly handle it without central planning." No one is smart enough to figure out all the little rules and stipulations for each economic relationship, let alone do so in advance, let alone get consensus on such rules. Just remove the cap and let the market work. Babying the market with paternalism in the form of artificial scarcity just leaves the space open for competitors to stick their oars in.

Well said.
gargantuar

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 11:22:02 PM

The trick is not to panic about "how the market could possibly handle it without central planning." No one is smart enough to figure out all the little rules and stipulations for each economic relationship, let alone do so in advance, let alone get consensus on such rules. Just remove the cap and let the market work. Babying the market with paternalism in the form of artificial scarcity just leaves the space open for competitors to stick their oars in.

Well said.

You (rocks), justusranvier, the guy you quoted (not going to try to type zangle....), and a few others are, in my opinion, some of the smarter guys on this forum.  Thanks for sticking around.  Sorry for not thanking you sooner.  Please don't leave us.  Just because mindless trolls and zombies are grunting and bumping into each other does not mean it is time to leave.  I am not a conspiracy person but have wondered if some of the trolls are not hired shills... There IS a lot at stake here.

Free markets work.  In this situation where we have few to none of the categorized market weaknesses (negative externalities, pop culture, public goods) freeing the market while minding incentives in the structure of the system is best.  Nodes, at this point, seem to be victim to the public good weakness but everything else is flawless.  I run a full node as well as some miners (at a loss and since 2010) because I am altruistic in spite of my admiration for "Atlas Shrugged."  We just can't expect everyone else to get gushy over my love of humanity and the beauty of this bloodless revolution so incentives need to be in place for the brightest future.  Invisible hand (Adam Smith) only works when it is invisible. 
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 12:07:49 AM

Well said.

You (rocks), justusranvier, the guy you quoted (not going to try to type zangle....), and a few others are, in my opinion, some of the smarter guys on this forum.  Thanks for sticking around.  Sorry for not thanking you sooner.  Please don't leave us.  Just because mindless trolls and zombies are grunting and bumping into each other does not mean it is time to leave.  I am not a conspiracy person but have wondered if some of the trolls are not hired shills... There IS a lot at stake here.

Free markets work.  In this situation where we have few to none of the categorized market weaknesses (negative externalities, pop culture, public goods) freeing the market while minding incentives in the structure of the system is best.  Nodes, at this point, seem to be victim to the public good weakness but everything else is flawless.  I run a full node as well as some miners (at a loss and since 2010) because I am altruistic in spite of my admiration for "Atlas Shrugged."  We just can't expect everyone else to get gushy over my love of humanity and the beauty of this bloodless revolution so incentives need to be in place for the brightest future.  Invisible hand (Adam Smith) only works when it is invisible. 

if you haven't signed your nodes up for the Incentive Program, you should.  a few days ago i signed my 4 up:

https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/incentive/
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 12:41:33 AM

WTF does that even mean?  

@Wekkel re. "Some take their chances and act":  You're just running with scissors.  Nothing laudable about that.

"Token money is money made from tokens of some form, as opposed to account money. Most modern coins used in circulation are token money, as are paper notes."

Bitcoin = Token with utility BUILT-IN to its protocol. If you don't understand that sorry I can't help you.

Lol, this is exactly the batshit crazy ramblings level of scholarship I'm talking about.  You quote a wikip article stub, with 0 [ZERO] citations.
Here:

So yeah, junk stub is junk Sad

Googling further, we find another definition, from Webster online:
Definition of TOKEN MONEY
:  money of regular government issue (as paper currency or coins) having a greater face value than intrinsic value
Hmm...  Gubermint?  that don't sound like the Bitcoin we know and love Angry  Let's google 'round a bit more, see if we can scrape up some more definitions of "token money"...  Okay, here we go:

Token Money
A means of payment whose value of purchasing power as money greatly exceeds its cost of production of value in uses other than as money.
...UK. *reads again* Righto...  Derrida couldn't 'a said it clearer.
Anyhow, doesn't seem like any of the experts agree, and it's safe to assume Mr. 82.70.142.134, the wikipedo who penned your learned quote, is a typical self-appointed expert.

But wait!  We're still mucking about with the "token" part of "A token with inherent utility."  Imagine how much fun we'll have when we define the latter, and mate the two in an insestuous coupling of wisdom?!  Stay tuned, culture lovers & international finance enthusiast!
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2015, 01:11:19 AM

Well said.

The rationale for a Max Block Size has almost nothing to do with transaction fees, or free market activity.
It has a lot more to do with security and reliability.
The free market doesn't provide this.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
79b79aa8d5047da6d3XX

Activity: 660
Merit: 101

Colletrix - Bridging the Physical and Virtual Worl

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 01:29:47 AM
Last edit: May 20, 2015, 04:47:27 AM by 79b79aa8d5047da6d3XX

I finally had time to read the proposal. I offer a bit of recapitulation, reactions and questions. I apologize if this has already been discussed at length here or in other fora; I have not looked too deep into the discussion boards.  

1. A main argument against increasing block size is that it would make it more resource-intensive to run a full node, promoting centralization of the network.  

2. The solution to this problem is to pay those running full nodes, via transaction fees. This forever eliminates the need for artificially capping blocks. It also promotes network decentralization, as nodes would not be run altruistically but for a small profit, or at least not a loss.

3. Under the proposal end users pay TX fees to not just miners, but also to relay nodes. Fees due per TX could be efficiently and automatically figured out by the network. This would probably entail a net increase in fees/TX. However, under the present capped block size solution, every time we approach the artificial block size limit, TX fees tend to increase significantly as users pay more in order to get their transactions in a block. The proposal would smooth such fee fluctuations out for good.

4. Since the proposed change in the basic parameters of the network is nontrivial, it would seem that the realistic strategy is to buy time with a block size increase to 20 MB, then implement payments to nodes. Would the latter also require a hard fork, or can it be done via a soft fork?

5. For some players in the space there is an incentive for blocks to remain capped, which puts upward pressure on fees, which promotes transactions to go off-chain. It is to be expected such players will resist the present proposal.

6. It is therefore not to be expected that the proposal will be simply picked up and implemented; any development will need to be funded.

gargantuar

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 01:37:17 AM

Well said.

The rationale for a Max Block Size has almost nothing to do with transaction fees, or free market activity.
It has a lot more to do with security and reliability.
The free market doesn't provide this.

Right.  You are another smart non-troll that I have respected for years.  It is not an easy read but justusranvier's latest blog post is what I see to be a sound long-term and comprehensive blueprint that solves these issues without the need for a nanny or central planning.  Implementing his ideas is no small task. However, if we were to do it, we would have something that could solve the major deficiencies.  Bitcoin appeared out of the blue for most of us.  That was a miracle.  Now we have a few identifiable problems/bugs to address and a smart crowd looking at them.  I think it will turn out well.  Wish I were more smart.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 02:56:14 AM

5. For some players in the space there is an incentive for blocks to remain capped, which puts upward pressure on fees, which promotes transactions to go off-chain. It is to be expected such players will resist the present proposal.

6. It is therefore not to be expected that the proposal will be simply picked up and implemented; any development will need to be funded.
So many people, especially those with ties to the USA, have a vest interest in pushing transactions off-chain.

Certainly there would be a lot of people who would be happier if regular people had to perform most of their transactions through third parties that would either compromise their privacy, or their security, or both.
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 04:06:35 AM

WTF does that even mean?  

Lol, this is exactly the batshit crazy ramblings level of scholarship I'm talking about.  You quote a wikip article stub, with 0 [ZERO] citations.
Here:

So yeah, junk stub is junk Sad

Googling further, we find another definition, from Webster online:
Definition of TOKEN MONEY
:  money of regular government issue (as paper currency or coins) having a greater face value than intrinsic value
Hmm...  Gubermint?  that don't sound like the Bitcoin we know and love Angry  Let's google 'round a bit more, see if we can scrape up some more definitions of "token money"...  Okay, here we go:

Token Money
A means of payment whose value of purchasing power as money greatly exceeds its cost of production of value in uses other than as money.
...UK. *reads again* Righto...  Derrida couldn't 'a said it clearer.
Anyhow, doesn't seem like any of the experts agree, and it's safe to assume Mr. 82.70.142.134, the wikipedo who penned your learned quote, is a typical self-appointed expert.

But wait!  We're still mucking about with the "token" part of "A token with inherent utility."  Imagine how much fun we'll have when we define the latter, and mate the two in an insestuous coupling of wisdom?!  Stay tuned, culture lovers & international finance enthusiast!
Your rambling is irrelevant to the fact that its a token with utility vs one with not.. Market had no choice now it does.. Put out or getout
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 05:56:04 AM

Oh yes
silverfuture
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1008

central banking = outdated protocol

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 06:09:06 AM

Spend Gold Instantly Around the World Using Bitcoin

http://www.prweb.com/releases/bitcoin/gold/prweb12513489.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NastyFans - The Fan Club for Bitcoin Enthusiasts | MININGCOINS | POOL | ESCROW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 06:37:40 AM

Interesting.  For those not yet finished with third parties.  It always seems to come back to that, 'transparent' or not.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 06:41:14 AM

I have pretty close to zero interest in gold "vaulted in professional Swiss vaults."

OTOH, what I always have looked forward to is a solution where I could turn in KR's in one country then retrieve them in another.  Perhaps just a network of jewelers endorsed by and using tools done by some entity.  Bitcoin would be much more cheap and reliable than mainstream international settlements for operations such as this.  I'm a bit surprised that nothing like this has popped up.  Maybe it has but I'm just not aware of it.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 07:34:44 AM

I like this. Thanks for the link.

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 07:38:27 AM

Why call it gold? Unobtanium sounds better!

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 09:12:18 AM

Go Bitcoin Go
Pages: « 1 ... 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: