Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:55:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 [641] 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 08:08:08 PM

Trolls are getting overconfident  Cheesy

Am I a troll because I dare speak to the all powerful wealthy elite?

Who's saying you can't speak?

Its what you say that matters.

Maybe there should have been more people like Gavin Andresen warning people about the risks of buying a remarkable new tool at nevertheless outrageously inflated prices?

This is precisely why you're going to have a bad time in this thread;  that suggestion is idiotic.

How is Gavin, of all people supposed to know what is an outrageous price?  And how's it his responsibility? You made the choice to invest at 550. That's your problem.

btw: 550 is not so bad price. I've bought a few at this price. Only 1 (of few millions) will be buying at the bottom. Others will buy much higher.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 08:28:18 PM

Although this is old hat for many here, I put together a little explanation that may help people see how mining profitability affects the bitcoin price.

Thanks for that review. 

There's also the fact that when the hash rate is rapidly increasing, the daily inflation rate is much higher than the 3600 BTC/day target.  For example, the daily inflation rate is 5143 BTC and 4500 BTC at 7 min and 8 min blocktimes, respectively.  If market participants in aggregate choose to purchase rather than invest in new mining hardware, the new supply of coins will drop significantly.  Compared to the 4500 BTC/day case, at a stable hash rate there'd be 900 less bitcoins produced each day.  At $400/BTC, this represents a $360,000/day reduction in supply, which would tend to apply upwards pressure on the price (all other variables being equal).   

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 08:28:49 PM

... outrageously inflated prices?

Show me a model.

Most models show bitcoin's success-case necessitating a price several orders of magnitude higher than today's. Obviously it comes down to what probability you assign to the success-case materializing, but even the relatively minor success-cases require 1BTC > $10,000.

The price could've shot to $5000 last year and it would still be false to have called it "outrageously inflated" (assuming you can't show me a model that makes sense to that effect).

(To be fair, I don't day-trade, so I'm not going to pay much attention to arguments based on technicals, as those are mostly irrelevant for those who think long-term (which is probably most of us in this thread))

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:05:57 PM

Honeybadger is bleeding to death. What's next guys?

we hit the cost of production floor, maybe undershoot by5-10%, coins become cheaper to buy than mine, some hashrate goes offline ... then the next super cycle can begin again.

That's what next you blind old fool Wink

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:08:32 PM

Ok then. *hides face in shame*

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:09:45 PM

Think about how much money was invested, both by consumers and manufacturers, into pushing the difficulty up several orders of magnitude over the past year. That's all money that could have and arguably would have been invested into driving the BTC price up. A lot of the fresh fiat has been going into the mining industry instead of the price. This is of course self-limiting, and so with all that investment happening behind the scenes, when the curtain is pulled back (when buying mining equipment becomes unprofitable), without any outside reason for the investment to slow down, it should start funneling back into the price.

yes, this is a variation of my bucket theory in which different components of the Bitcoin economny take on water at different rates and different times to different levels.  the main point being that the water levels of all buckets are rising in aggregate.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:30:15 PM

Think about how much money was invested, both by consumers and manufacturers, into pushing the difficulty up several orders of magnitude over the past year. ...

I did just done the calculation. If trend will hold then it is one order of magnitude every 8 months.

Edit:
Cost of production of 1 bitcoin can be $1,000 before half of 2015.( @10 cents / kWh )
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:35:26 PM

Maybe there should have been more people like Gavin Andresen warning people about the risks of buying a remarkable new tool at nevertheless outrageously inflated prices?

You can't blame anyone but yourself for buying Bitcoin at a certain price. Had the price gone up you would have a different tune.

Stop blaming others for your inadequacies. Thanks!  Grin Grin Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:37:45 PM

Think about how much money was invested, both by consumers and manufacturers, into pushing the difficulty up several orders of magnitude over the past year. That's all money that could have and arguably would have been invested into driving the BTC price up. A lot of the fresh fiat has been going into the mining industry instead of the price. This is of course self-limiting, and so with all that investment happening behind the scenes, when the curtain is pulled back (when buying mining equipment becomes unprofitable), without any outside reason for the investment to slow down, it should start funneling back into the price.

yes, this is a variation of my bucket theory in which different components of the Bitcoin economny take on water at different rates and different times to different levels.  the main point being that the water levels of all buckets are rising in aggregate.

So it's like the hose is the exponentially growing stream of new money coming into the Bitcoin investment space, and it just goes into different buckets, one of which is actual price growth. That means as long as either price or mining (or perhaps VC money into startups?) continue upward then nothing is amiss.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:41:37 PM

You can't blame anyone but yourself for buying Bitcoin at a certain price. Had the price gone up you would have a different tune.

Stop blaming others for your inadequacies. Thanks!  Grin Grin Grin

Lol at my inadequacies. I'm already hiding my face in shame guys. Lay off

Tough crowd huh Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:54:47 PM

So it's like the hose is the exponentially growing stream of new money coming into the Bitcoin investment space, and it just goes into different buckets, one of which is actual price growth. That means as long as either price or mining (or perhaps VC money into startups?) continue upward then nothing is amiss.

yeah, my personal buckets are price, consumer adoption, merchants, exchanges, mining, +/- ATM's.  for a while now we've been seeing increases in basically everything except the price, which is the most speculative bucket of them all that varies most with sentiment and cyclical variation.  we're in a bear cycle which will eventually bottom out.  it's a good time to buy and then hold at least to 2020.

of course, all this is predicated on a belief in the fundamentals of Bitcoin and its real world relationship to finance and the economy, which is what we discuss in this thread ad nauseum.  if you think its all been one massive pump and dump from mass illusion then you sell or short.  but by my estimation, nothing has changed.  you have to be very suspicious that we've had numerous ramps since 2009 that have been recoveries from huge crashes.  ponzi's don't bounce.  something is going on here.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 10:02:42 PM

Trolls are getting overconfident  Cheesy

Stop blaming others for your inadequacies. Thanks!  Grin Grin Grin

Lol at my inadequacies. I'm already hiding my face in shame guys. Lay off

no need to.  everyone has to learn the fundamentals, even as a later early adopter  Wink

i'm just relieved you're not one of what i think are bank trolls hammering Reddit today.  we had one punk put up a troll post this morning so i'm on high alert:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2hp0wp/i_had_a_weirdunsettling_bitcoin_experience_and/

after being challenged by me, the troll just disappeared.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 10:03:07 PM

Inflationary spiral ? If cost of electricity is bigger than price of bitcoin and miners turn off their asics then nobody is unable to mine. It will take years until difficulty dropped. (it will take months to mine 2016 blocks by hobby miners to adjust difficulty (instead of 14 days) )
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 10:11:02 PM

Inflationary spiral ? If cost of electricity is bigger than price of bitcoin and miners turn off their asics then nobody is unable to mine. It will take years until difficulty dropped. (it will take months to mine 2016 blocks by hobby miners to adjust difficulty (instead of 14 days) )

it won't happen that way. 

you won't get a huge dropoff in hashing rate to cause such an air gap.  if we do, that would be a huge security risk for the network.  more likely though, if it has to happen at all, is that large mines go out and get USD loans to pay their variable costs to get them thru what will hopefully be from here a short term drop in the price.  that is, if they've managed their costs properly for a rainy day like we have now.  sure we could see a drop but it won't be dramatic.  they have to keep those asics running while they're still top of the line tech.  guys like me will also mine out of public duty, even if at a loss, so as to protect my overall investment in the space.  which is also why i run a bunch of full nodes.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 10:14:22 PM

I can see hash rate dropping off at some point. It won't drop off in any huge way but it will stabilize the market given the constant increase in diff and the constant decrease in price.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 10:17:16 PM

Honeybadger is bleeding to death. What's next guys?

we hit the cost of production floor, maybe undershoot by5-10%, coins become cheaper to buy than mine, some hashrate goes offline ... then the next super cycle can begin again.

That's what next you blind old fool Wink

This.  I said months ago that we won't truly bottom until ASICs saturate and hashrate begins to taper.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 10:20:27 PM

you won't get a huge dropoff in hashing rate to cause such an air gap.  if we do, that would be a huge security risk for the network.  more likely though, if it has to happen at all, is that large mines go out and get USD loans to pay their variable costs to get them thru what will hopefully be from here a short term drop in the price.  that is, if they've managed their costs properly for a rainy day like we have now.  sure we could see a drop but it won't be dramatic.  they have to keep those asics running while they're still top of the line tech.  guys like me will also mine out of public duty, even if at a loss, so as to protect my overall investment in the space.  which is also why i run a bunch of full nodes.

Yes, you will mine, because you want to protect your investment (as hobby miner), but what about mining farm(10,000,000 Ghash ..10%) will they pay millions of dollars for electricity.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 10:23:51 PM

Yes, you will mine, because you want to protect your investment (as hobby miner), but what about mining farm(10,000,000 Ghash ..10%) will they pay millions of dollars for electricity.

as i said in my post, i think they will go out and get loans or offer equity financing if necessary to keep themselves running.  sure, its possible that a few players get shaken out but we are not going to see a precipitous drop in hashing rate.
kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 10:26:42 PM

as i said in my post, i think they will go out and get loans or offer equity financing if necessary to keep themselves running.  sure, its possible that a few players get shaken out but we are not going to see a precipitous drop in hashing rate.

what i suspect will happen is a shake out of some of the smaller miners once they reach the point that they cant afford to mine anymore leaving a further monopoly of big time miners. whether you like it or not, this is leading to further centralization. the big guys can last longer at a loss than the small guys.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 10:29:03 PM

coindesk article re: us military, intelligence and btc

http://www.coindesk.com/us-military-command-holds-educational-meeting-bitcoin-industry/
Pages: « 1 ... 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 [641] 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: