Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 01:57:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 [451] 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312566 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
ol92

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 10:34:34 AM

With Bitcoin developers having mentioned possible development (yeah right lol) of "Confidential Transactions" they see that privacy AND moreso fungibility of bitcoin is a huge issue moving forward.

Yes, i think they slowly start to realize that lack of privacy and fungibility is a problem.

But what would happen with monero, if bitcoin actually managed to introduced  these features. If this would happen, that there would be no point in monero? Could monero survive, if bitcoin incorporated zerocash or whatever technique to ensure privacy and fungibility of transactions?
Bitcoin seems to have chosen the regulatory compliance way : it can't go at the same time fully to the anonimity way. At best they will add some privacy features...
Seeing how changing blocksize is challenging the unity among bitcoin developpers, how could they radically change the core to attein similar privacy/fungibility than monero.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 11:58:09 AM

Any currency which is not truly decentralized and dangerous is not revolutionary, and therefore not important.  

I'm pretty sure there is an elegant way to make this argument, but just imagine if at the dawn of the personal computing revolution certain nations had realized the danger of such devices and created their own boxes for their citizens which only performed approved operations - as always, the technology doesn't lose, the country does because they fall behind their peers on the tech tree.  

Actually this exact situation happened in the UK with automobiles, which was one of the reasons that America surged ahead in the development race.  Again and again, countries that allow their citizens free reign over these 'dangerous' technologies that interconnect them advance far more rapidly than their peers.  

Yadda Yadda velocity of information and money...  Yadda.... Metcalfe, etc etc  

Anyway, for cryptocurrency to be revolutionary and powerful it must be dangerous and unhindered.  If you try to mandate any portion of the technology you get stuck with a crippled bitcoin-like implementation and never make it to the real deal: Monero.  

Monero (cryptonote) is the dangerous new technology...  Instant money with privacy is as threatening as instant information with privacy (possibly more) and it seems worrisome to let your population have access to that kind of power.  

But the nation that does will become the richest and most powerful nation on Earth...  Eventually they may even begin to absorb the wealth and prosperity of other nations that choose not to give their citizens unrestricted access.  

Once again, Russia will be on the wrong side of history and it's very frustrating.  

I've always had a soft spot for Russians but even after all these years they fail to understand their ego and isolationism has been fucking them for centuries while the rest of the world surpasses them...  Simply because they are willing to talk to each other. 

My country is no different: if we choose to attempt to lock down our population from Cryptonote while Asian nations like Singapore and China embrace it, well, that will become the new first world. 

It might be hard for us to see (especially shortsighted politicians), but by allowing Cryptonote to flourish in the people we will unlock an age of productivity and innovation that will dwarf anything that has ever come before. 

Imagine 40 more companies the size of Apple and Microsofts being based in your country -  that's the potential we face if we get this right. 

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 12:00:23 PM

With Bitcoin developers having mentioned possible development (yeah right lol) of "Confidential Transactions" they see that privacy AND moreso fungibility of bitcoin is a huge issue moving forward.

Yes, i think they slowly start to realize that lack of privacy and fungibility is a problem.

But what would happen with monero, if bitcoin actually managed to introduced  these features. If this would happen, that there would be no point in monero? Could monero survive, if bitcoin incorporated zerocash or whatever technique to ensure privacy and fungibility of transactions?

This will never happen with Bitcoin.  It would be a violation of the social contract as far as all the VC money is concerned.  The only reason so much VC money has been invested is due to its transparent nature, it has the blessing of many governments and regulators which monero would never have.  Nor would any other non-transparent ledger.

americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 12:07:22 PM

As I just said, the technology is already here and is an order of magnitude better than Bitcoin.   

You can try to ban or slow it, but you're just going to end up fucking yourself. 

"Why are all the businesses going to Kerplakistan!?" 

"Because sir, that's where they are allowed to make use of amazing new technology which allows them to reach the next level of economic progress." 

It's not something you can control - this is the inevitability of the system.  You can't uninvent Cryptonote, so you must embrace it...  Or else you will become the new third world.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
owm123

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 12:39:11 PM

As I just said, the technology is already here and is an order of magnitude better than Bitcoin.   

You can try to ban or slow it, but you're just going to end up fucking yourself. 

"Why are all the businesses going to Kerplakistan!?" 

"Because sir, that's where they are allowed to make use of amazing new technology which allows them to reach the next level of economic progress." 

It's not something you can control - this is the inevitability of the system.  You can't uninvent Cryptonote, so you must embrace it...  Or else you will become the new third world.

The same can be said about cryptonote. Just like cryptonote seems to be better now than bitcoin, next year or 5 years from now, we may see something new, that is much better than cryptonote. Time will only tell.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 03:49:37 PM

But what would happen with monero, if bitcoin actually managed to introduced  these features. If this would happen, that there would be no point in monero? Could monero survive, if bitcoin incorporated zerocash or whatever technique to ensure privacy and fungibility of transactions?

This will never happen with Bitcoin.  It would be a violation of the social contract as far as all the VC money is concerned.  The only reason so much VC money has been invested is due to its transparent nature, it has the blessing of many governments and regulators which monero would never have.  Nor would any other non-transparent ledger.

Agreed. I contend that a big part of bitcoin's relatively easy pathway into mainstream consciousness and potential use (eg, merchants don't have to do KYC when accepting a btc payment) is because of its transparent nature. As I've probably noted in this thread before, Lawsky even mused during the early-2014 hearings that "maybe we should require all crypto currencies to have a transparent blockchain".

So, Bitcoin may layer in partial, especially opt-in, measures (eg, confidential transactions), but I doubt it'd ever implement un(trace|link)ability at the protocol level by default. And that's the key reason monero has lasting value whereas nearly every other alt does not: properties for which there's demand that bitcoin will (probably) never fill. Properties which also make it more "pure" from a monetary-theory point of view, which I find interesting.

That said, I do question whether monero's ultimate value is capped due to resistance it'll likely run into, but that wouldn't happen before another few orders of magnitude in price.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 08:01:18 PM

1. If bitcoin implements features that match monero's then monero would probably be irrelevant.

2. But I doubt they will implement anything on a substantial level of development (or change) to the code base.

3. Zero cash doesn't exist yet right?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 08:06:01 PM

Then what would make you think people would want to create MONERO businesses/services that governments would not support essentially?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 08:20:51 PM

It appears XMR is in early 2010 stage of where bitcoin was. But it may be even earlier as there is no GUI and in its place is a GIGANTIC engine put into a tiny automobile.

Accumulation phase is now AKA early adopters.

XMR is at the same stage as BTC after its first moon to $5 and retrace to 50 cents.  I think that was 2011 or 12.

And we do have a GUI.  More than one, in fact.

The fact that freshly mined BTC enjoy a 10% premium over 'used' ones demonstrates beyond a shadow of doubt that, absent an opaque complementary blockchain like XMR, BTC is the dictatorship-enabling "bad digital cash" PanoptiCoin Chaum warned us about.

At this point, worse-than-cash-or-gold fungibility is the elephant in bitcoin's living room.  Sidechains (and thus CT) are moving forward and will take the taint issue to the forefront of public concern as deployment plays out.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 08:25:13 PM

It appears XMR is in early 2010 stage of where bitcoin was. But it may be even earlier as there is no GUI and in its place is a GIGANTIC engine put into a tiny automobile.

Accumulation phase is now AKA early adopters.

XMR is at the same stage as BTC after its first moon to $5 and retrace to 50 cents.  I think that was 2011 or 12.

And we do have a GUI.  More than one, in fact.

The fact that freshly mined BTC enjoy a 10% premium over 'used' ones demonstrates beyond a shadow of doubt that, absent an opaque complementary blockchain like XMR, BTC is the dictatorship-enabling "bad digital cash" PanoptiCoin Chaum warned us about.

At this point, worse-than-cash-or-gold fungibility is the elephant in bitcoin's living room.  Sidechains (and thus CT) are moving forward and will take the taint issue to the forefront of public concern as deployment plays out.

CORRECTION: Bitcoin went from $0.05 to $1 to $0.60 then to $32.

I would say in terms of pure time we are in 2010 times. (1.5 years after launch).

True, well what I meant was no OFFICIAL GUI.

As more bitcoins get stolen or scammed the fungibility issue will become more and more to the forefront of people's attention.

Right now it is block size debate (which after much thought to me is a waste of time).  <----- so much time, money, and talk wasted on discussing such a small issue that there is no demand for really. Not many new players are willing to PAY (i.e. Hire bitcoin as trace mayer says it) to have a larger block size.

Eventually the FUNGIBILITY issue of bitcoin will make headlines and will be in article titles in the press. <--------------- Smoothie Prediction  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

wpalczynski
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 08:30:38 PM

But what would happen with monero, if bitcoin actually managed to introduced  these features. If this would happen, that there would be no point in monero? Could monero survive, if bitcoin incorporated zerocash or whatever technique to ensure privacy and fungibility of transactions?

This will never happen with Bitcoin.  It would be a violation of the social contract as far as all the VC money is concerned.  The only reason so much VC money has been invested is due to its transparent nature, it has the blessing of many governments and regulators which monero would never have.  Nor would any other non-transparent ledger.

Then what would make you think people would want to create MONERO businesses/services that governments would not support essentially?

Because there is still a demand for such services regardless of regulatory blessing or not.  I don't think the issues Bitcoin is having will make it go away nor would I want it to.  I believe it has its place in the financial ecosystem as does Monero.

I think we are very fortunate that the first crypto currency that came to be and served as an introduction to the world was a public ledger rather than a private one because the regulatory and legislative leeway Bitcoin has received would not have been possible with a private ledger IMHO.

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 08:38:48 PM

1. If bitcoin implements features that match monero's then monero would probably be irrelevant.

2. But I doubt they will implement anything on a substantial level of development (or change) to the code base.

Given the lack of agreement about blocksize, stealth addresses, coinjoin and a slew of other features it seems rather unlikely that BTC would achieve parity with Monero anytime in the near future.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 09:02:23 PM

Any currency which is not truly decentralized and dangerous is not revolutionary, and therefore not important.

Let's refactor that declaration into a spec, by substituting in Sztorc's Scythe:

Code:
Any currency without the engineering requirement to be Above The Law is not revolutionary, and therefore not important.

This appears to be a valid instance of Ranvier's Razor:

Code:
Anyone who isn’t actively working to expand and empower the informal economy is wasting their time.

This kind of philosophical clarity is useful for defending crypto's ramparts from XT-type Bad Ideas.   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 09:37:41 PM

I think we are very fortunate that the first crypto currency that came to be and served as an introduction to the world was a public ledger rather than a private one because the regulatory and legislative leeway Bitcoin has received would not have been possible with a private ledger IMHO.

There are other paths though, and it isn't necessary for the first to even succeed at all. For example, Napster -> blah blah -> Bittorrent. Arguably in this case it didn't as we had digicash and others that failed earlier. Bitcoin was the minimum viable product that could resist being quickly destroyed by centralization (and that it was conceived as an improved successor to those earlier failures was explicitly stated by satoshi)

wpalczynski
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 10:08:09 PM

There are other paths though, and it isn't necessary for the first to even succeed at all. For example, Napster -> blah blah -> Bittorrent. Arguably in this case it didn't as we had digicash and others that failed earlier. Bitcoin was the minimum viable product that could resist being quickly destroyed by centralization (and that it was conceived as an improved successor to those earlier failures was explicitly stated by satoshi)

My point is that it paved the way.  I think the landscape would be vastly different and adoption of cryptocurrencies nowhere near where it is if the first one created wasn't a public ledger.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 11:20:33 PM

Given the lack of agreement about blocksize, stealth addresses, coinjoin and a slew of other features it seems rather unlikely that BTC would achieve parity with Monero anytime in the near future.

Zero cash is still in the whitepaper phase.  Its fundamentals involve some undesirable, possibly intrinsic/unavoidable trade-offs and compromises (ie, a trusted third party and bloat-prone tx|blockchains).

The BIP process is healthier than ever before.  It has been reinvigorated thanks to stimulus provided by the Fork of July, and perhaps even XT's lulzy failed governance coup. Please stop Buttcoining just because you Gavinistas didn't get your way, despite copious amounts of hand-wringing melodrama.

The results of #ScalingBitcoin will be eventual agreements about (if not blocksize) stealth addresses, coinjoin, and a slew of other features (ie sidechains|CT).  Those non-controversial new featues cannot be directly compared to the universal contention necessarily involved in hard forks which risk catastrophic consensus failure occurring at the exact moment the socioeconomic ecosystem bifurcates into civil war.

Confidential Transactions on sidechains represent a medium-term possibility of a (possibly near-perfect or superior) substitute good for Monero.  Let's not dismiss ridicule notion because it doesn't suit the Monero 4evar narrative, or dismiss the challenge because of butthurt at Blockstream/Theymos/p2pool/etc.

Competition is a good stream for us end-users.  The possibilities of leisurely cross pollination in peacetime and horizontal gene transfer in emergencies strengthen both systems.

As for the narrow speculative POV, XMR's sort-of-first mover advantage may be neutralized by transfer of Bitcoin's undisputably-first mover status to its sidechains.

But sidechains and CT are unproven so a significant period of time, to accumulate Lindy effects appropriate to wealth storage, is required.

Then there is the possibility of adapting SC/LN for XMR, so our favorite mustang can become the opaque Father to complement Bitcoin's transparent Mother of All Settlement Chains.

That will take some new crypto, or at the least a novel arrangement of existing primitives.  We can't do it yet, but may not have to endure such heavy lifting alone.  The Cryptonote people are still Out There Somewhere and if anyone knows how to scale 100% trust-free 100% anon blockchains, it's probably Nick Szaborhagen's group.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
owm123

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 11:34:08 PM

Unfortunately this is not the case any more (the bold part). I think  you mean here the Mint Exchange mentioned in this article. The Mint Exchange is no more. I dont know what has happened with it. Maybe it it failed because no one was interested in fresh bitcoins, feds closed it down, or some technical issues lead to its disappearance.

The Mint Exchange was perfect example of what non-fungible bitcoin means, and what would never happen with monero. But there is no Mint Exchange now, nor any similar service I'm aware off.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 12:05:37 AM

Unfortunately this is not the case any more (the bold part). I think  you mean here the Mint Exchange mentioned in this article. The Mint Exchange is no more. I dont know what has happened with it. Maybe it it failed because no one was interested in fresh bitcoins, feds closed it down, or some technical issues lead to its disappearance.

The Mint Exchange was perfect example of what non-fungible bitcoin means, and what would never happen with monero. But there is no Mint Exchange now, nor any similar service I'm aware off.

joinmarket is superficially similar in that you have to pay a premium to induce others to mix with you. However, you have no control over the taint status of the other coins, so what should happen rationally is that only heavily tainted coins would be offered, still with a liquidity premium.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 12:34:22 AM

You really think Mint Exchange is the only place where people buy new coins at premium prices?  Wow, that's adorable.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
owm123

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 12:36:41 AM

You really think Mint Exchange is the only place where people buy new coins at premium prices?  Wow, that's adorable.

So could you give some links to exchanges or sites that offer this? They would be useful examples of problems associated with non-fungibility of bitcoin.

Pages: « 1 ... 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 [451] 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: