Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:02:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 [459] 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312496 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 09:00:49 AM

There’s a place where you could buy silver Monero coins. They look very shiny and good to collect. You can check it out here: https://cryptonic.net/product/order/5/ Hope this helps.  Smiley

Of course there is the problem of ensuring that only the bearer of the coin has access to the private key - what is needed is some method of storing as many XMR as there are ounces of silver in the coin, and *then* ensuring that the user can set a private password securing the onboard Monero. 

Fluffy is already on it. Check this thread:
Creating a standard for physical coins (forum.getmonero.org)
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 09:17:17 AM

Sorry for my laziness ... is ZeroCash actually doing something?  Maybe I need to pay more attention.

Ah - early next year.  Just did a little reading.  Guess time will tell.  If it was purely ZeroCash I would expect Darkcoin to get hit too.  
Based on that logic you'd expect Darkcoin to crash hard with the inception of Monero. That didn't really happen, which is because Darkcoin is a deception. Its price is inflated by delusions of it's supporters and arbitrary limited supply. It's kind of like a pyramid scheme: even though all rational logic can prove it's a scam believers will hold on to their financial investment until the bitter end.

Yes. The hype will eventually die off, but it won't be because a better coin comes along, because the technology behind darkcoin never mattered. It was never about anonymity in the first place. Emotional attachment to an investment drives away rationality and thus you cannot expect darkcoiners to act rational.

vgo
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 09:29:09 AM

More dumpity dump??   Roll Eyes

not really.

Try with Bitcoinwisdom.  Wink

Waiting 0.0016.

Is that the price at which you plan to come gloat?  Roll Eyes

It depends on the number of "400k supporting walls" at that time.  Roll Eyes

Where is the 400k xmr buy walls now??  Roll Eyes
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 09:42:38 AM

not really.

Waiting 0.0016.

There has never been a 400k XMR buy wall on price level >= 0.001 (not even close) but I personally think large walls like that attract dumpers (and for ask walls vice-versa) rather than support the price.

That said I very much welcome large walls for liquidity sake Smiley

vgo
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 10:29:14 AM

not really.

Waiting 0.0016.

There has never been a 400k XMR buy wall on price level >= 0.001 (not even close) ...

It's a shame that I have not caught capture.. In June-July 2015, first 400k xmr buy wall, gone and automatically dumped 70k xmr, remember??

TheKoziTwo
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 10:45:54 AM

not really.

Waiting 0.0016.

There has never been a 400k XMR buy wall on price level >= 0.001 (not even close) ...

It's a shame that I have not caught capture.. In June-July 2015, first 400k xmr buy wall, gone and automatically dumped 70k xmr, remember??

It wasn't a 400k XMR wall. You got the facts wrong.

vgo
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 10:53:07 AM

not really.

Waiting 0.0016.

It wasn't a 400k XMR wall.

Please TheKoziTwo, this is Monero Speculation, no Monero Manipulation. I saw it. Wink

It's a shame that I have not caught capture..

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 11:02:14 AM

Last night's drop was most likely the result of someone margin hunting and subsequently a few people being margin called. In addition, the orderbook was pretty thin so that's why it collapsed so deeply. About ZeroCash, read the following replies of fluffypony and me on reddit and digest that a bit before you sell everything off.

4) I love Zerocash, and I am convinced that the cryptocurrency of the future will be a descendent of Zerocash. But that's the far future, like 20-30 years, when their newfangled cryptography has been tried, tested, broken, fixed, etc. Between now and then Monero has a role to play. If it is used for anything of substantial value before it reaches sufficient maturity...well, the risk is phenomenal, and a lot of people are going to lose a lot of money. I am happy to let it play out, and for Monero to continue to evolve well beyond "just" a private cryptocurrency.

And my addition:

I would like to add to 4) that if you are really worried about ZeroCash and how it could affect XMR's price for instance, just hedge yourself like most of us did with Bitcoin <-> XMR (I think rpietila also dedicated a whole post to this), then you pretty much got nothing to worry about.

Full comments -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3ms2ot/the_arguments_against_monero/cvhxo62?context=3

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 11:09:17 AM

About ZeroCash

My comment from that thread about zerocash

Furthermore if ZeroCash is the cat's meow we can include it either by forking in a new transaction type on the main chain or as a sidechain (okay I'm doubtful on the latter but the former is still an option). Bitcoin is unlikely to adopt strong privacy technologies on its mainchain for reasons well described in the OP. Those reasons do not apply to us at all. ZeroCash as a technology, if sufficiently mature, tested and trusted, fits with the social contract of Monero perfectly.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 11:15:38 AM

It is a scenario game:

For Zerocash price to trash XMR price, the following must be true simultaneously:

- XMR needs to have a price to be trashed
- Zerocash needs to exist
- The causality of "Zerocash existing ->XMR trashed" needs to be true.

When I calculate this scenario out, the probability is so low and effect so little that it does not stand out from other of the scenarios.

Fluffypony getting a virus and being 2 weeks off work will have a larger effect.

...chances of being abandoned...

I have been thinking more this matter as well. XMR supporters command a lot of money, and are honest, and intelligent. For such a project to be abandoned, the (see scenario methodology above) following will need to happen:

- the technology must be objectively dysfunctional OR the "project" objectively a scam

In every other case some will leave, some will come, and there will not be any wholesale abandonment of the project, and therefore the price may go up and down, as it has happened already.

I publicly renounce my earlier estimates that "a long term BTC bearmarket will trash the alts which will get destroyed and abandoned". THIS is NOT TRUE Smiley We have seen only shitcoins getting abandoned, none of the quality coins (which has not been proven to be not working, or proven to be a scam) has ever been abandoned, and I don't think it will: if BTC goes up, all the more do these go.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 11:18:27 AM

Zerocash is written by some academic researchers lol. Maybe we need to wait for another 5 years to see a stable and usable release.

The greatest skill and passion of those researchers are not writing code, but reading and writing publications, and talks. Don't hope.

In 2013, they told it would be released soon. Actual: No
In 2014, they told the same. Actual: No
In 2015, they said they were working hard (on another job lol)
newb4now

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 11:23:17 AM

Suggestion for accepting monero for tutanota has been made:
https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/suggestions/9968298-accept-monero-xmr-for-donations

Please support it, if you want.

28 votes and counting.

150 votes already.
Hopefully we can get to 200 :-)

162 votes now

I also asked the Boolberry community to help vote for Monero!

Tutanota has already responded!!!!

Still vote for us if you have not done so already

This is what happens when we work together as a group. Sounds like they just want to make sure that many of us use Tutanota (we do) before they accept Monero. I understand the desire to stay anon but maybe we should send them some emails from our Tutanota accounts just to prove we use and like their encrypted email service.

under review  ·  Tutanota SupportAdminTutanota Support (Admin, Tutanota) responded  ·  September 30, 2015

Hello Monero users and a warm welcome! Smiley We are happy about your interest in our privacy-focused encrypted mail service. We build our features based on the needs of Tutanota users. May we kindly ask, who of you has already switched to Tutanota as your main email service? If you haven’t yet, you may try it right away: https://app.tutanota.de/#register
Happy encrypting.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 11:24:59 AM

I don't think DASH for instance will go away ever unless it is actually broken (being deficient tech does not count: bank transfers use laughable tech and credit cards are criminally unsecure, Monero has no GUI, ...) or objective scam (I think the current version is scam for sure, but since I think the same of usual banking, it is not the scamness what counts, it's the people's perception of it, and the change of this perception).

Coins that have a longer history of not being broken, should earn more trust and higher price in the markets (via the mechanism of discount rate reduction etc.)

In CK (which has a very small chance of being broken or a scam) I have seen that all the models that calculate asset prices end up in higher prices than the current valuation. The oldtimers have increased in value so much that they don't have motivation to deposit and buy more even at a nice valuation/interest rate (1% per week!). It's like my $half-a-million follow-up investment to BTC at $100 when the original one was at $3. Very few people have guts to do it.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
owm123

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 11:42:43 AM

Suggestion for accepting monero for tutanota has been made:
https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/suggestions/9968298-accept-monero-xmr-for-donations

Please support it, if you want.

28 votes and counting.

150 votes already.
Hopefully we can get to 200 :-)

162 votes now

I also asked the Boolberry community to help vote for Monero!

Tutanota has already responded!!!!

Still vote for us if you have not done so already

This is what happens when we work together as a group. Sounds like they just want to make sure that many of us use Tutanota (we do) before they accept Monero. I understand the desire to stay anon but maybe we should send them some emails from our Tutanota accounts just to prove we use and like their encrypted email service.

under review  ·  Tutanota SupportAdminTutanota Support (Admin, Tutanota) responded  ·  September 30, 2015

Hello Monero users and a warm welcome! Smiley We are happy about your interest in our privacy-focused encrypted mail service. We build our features based on the needs of Tutanota users. May we kindly ask, who of you has already switched to Tutanota as your main email service? If you haven’t yet, you may try it right away: https://app.tutanota.de/#register
Happy encrypting.

Thats at least some good news after watching polo today :-)

I've been tutanota user for a while, and am happy with their email service. Google just announced their new spying feature for gmail users, so its perfect time to look for some email that actually respects your privacy and anonymity.
http://www.cpcstrategy.com/blog/2015/09/google-customer-match/

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 12:23:47 PM

Opinions needed -> https://forum.getmonero.org/4/academic-and-technical/2394/name-the-next-monero-release

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:07:11 PM

Geez ... WTH happened ?

Seems someone dumped 40k XMR at about 0.0018-0.0016  half day ago. There was not much Buy orders. I guess if there would be he would not do it. But not sure if he will be able to buy it back at lower price since buy side was already quite strong few hours ago when i first check and just getting stronger. Price might go over 0.0017 soon and then higher then the dump price was.
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:24:04 PM

There’s a place where you could buy silver Monero coins. They look very shiny and good to collect. You can check it out here: https://cryptonic.net/product/order/5/ Hope this helps.  Smiley

Of course there is the problem of ensuring that only the bearer of the coin has access to the private key - what is needed is some method of storing as many XMR as there are ounces of silver in the coin, and *then* ensuring that the user can set a private password securing the onboard Monero. 

Nice!

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:33:53 PM

Geez ... WTH happened ?

Seems someone dumped 40k XMR at about 0.0018-0.0016  half day ago. There was not much Buy orders. I guess if there would be he would not do it. But not sure if he will be able to buy it back at lower price.

I am very sure that if we rebound, there is no buying back cheaper. Either the seller was a miner who had accumulated too much and become queasy, or is playing on the descent to a lower price level around 0.001, or just needed money. Short term play it was not.

(I was not there so these are armchair comments), but the trigger sale was not the same as the full amount, some short covering resulted when the price temporarily dropped to the "soft" area below all the near-market bids.

Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Monero's price is so cheap right now, that I've decided to buy some. After that, I sold some of my XMR at a higher price on another exchange and I was able to make some profit. I got lucky today  Grin

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
cryptonic21

Activity: 168
Merit: 101

Physical Monero coins

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 02:58:03 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2015, 09:46:55 AM by cryptonic21

There’s a place where you could buy silver Monero coins. They look very shiny and good to collect. You can check it out here: https://cryptonic.net/product/order/5/ Hope this helps.  Smiley

Nice!

The next shipment of the coins is scheduled for October 8. Now is the good time to order for the rapid delivery.  Wink

Pages: « 1 ... 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 [459] 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: