Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:17:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 [324] 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
NoDisco

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 05:50:05 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2013, 06:33:53 PM by NoDisco

Hi,

I see a lot of talk about our choice of case design, in fact about our design choices in general so I thought I would jump in and clear some things up if I can.

We have always tried to make it clear that we aim to provide a machine that gets shipped on time.

Time to market is the most critical thing for us. We have a small window of opportunity here with a lot of competition coming out after us with products they claim are better than ours. (well after all they wouldn’t be very good competition if they claimed it would be worse.)

So  yes we have saved time on a few things. We can all agree that the look of the machine is not a top priority. We never said it would be. if it’s a big enough deal we could always put up a poll on our site and ask. Then we would know for our next generation. Sweden has some lovely design houses that would welcome the consult on a global product. This wouldn’t make it hash any faster but it would delay the product shipment for sure. These things would have to be modeled tested and tried etc etc, A far easier solution would be to use off the shelf parts which have a proven track record, over spec them by quite a bit (going back to our margins upon margins upon margins claim) So the decision was an easy one. The first boxes to leave our building will be delivered on time because we haven’t spent even a single meeting debating anything that was not 100% essential. The look is not essential for us at all, most of our customers don’t care and that means we don’t care.

As for the external power supply. Most small devices come with an external power supply ours is just a big devices that needs one. We could make our device bigger and have the power supply inside which would mean a larger shipping box, and a larger package sent to you. That would mean extra shipping costs. It would also mean more engineering of the airflow inside the case. (all fans must point the same way really) This comes under the “waste of time category” a far quicker solution is to let the customer supply and use an external power supply, (like all of the smaller components) Then you can simply have it on the outside of the case so it won’t get in the way of the airflow. Yes it fits on a 19inch rack shelf, There is space behind the unit for a power supply on the shelves (this is what we are doing in our hosting), You are welcome to use cable ties to make it look nice and keep it secure if you want to.
  Another one of our internal rules is that unless its 100% essential we simply don’t spend time on it.

The bottom line is what you are getting from KNC is over engineered and not over designed.  Imagine how upset people would be if we had something that looked great but we were delayed because of the design.

Thanks

Sam

Sam, can you also clarify two other points?

1. Cyper said he rang you today with regards components (EDIT: fans) used in the miner and you said he could swop them out for any other parts he wished to use. Surely this invalidates your guarantee? If it doesn't, please clarify. Are there any situations where it wouldn't? It leaves people who are not hosted by knc at a bit of a disadvantage.
2. Have you any details on repairs? For example, how long it will take you to accept a faulty miner for return? Do you have staff working at the weekend that can authorise returns? Can you provide any figures, even ballpark, on how long you estimate repairs could take - end to end - from return accepted to repaired miner dispatch back to customer?

Many thanks
ND

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casadebitcoin

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 05:53:24 PM

Hi,

I see a lot of talk about our choice of case design, in fact about our design choices in general so I thought I would jump in and clear some things up if I can.

We have always tried to make it clear that we aim to provide a machine that gets shipped on time.

Time to market is the most critical thing for us. We have a small window of opportunity here with a lot of competition coming out after us with products they claim are better than ours. (well after all they wouldn’t be very good competition if they claimed it would be worse.)

So  yes we have saved time on a few things. We can all agree that the look of the machine is not a top priority. We never said it would be. if it’s a big enough deal we could always put up a poll on our site and ask. Then we would know for our next generation. Sweden has some lovely design houses that would welcome the consult on a global product. This wouldn’t make it hash any faster but it would delay the product shipment for sure. These things would have to be modeled tested and tried etc etc, A far easier solution would be to use off the shelf parts which have a proven track record, over spec them by quite a bit (going back to our margins upon margins upon margins claim) So the decision was an easy one. The first boxes to leave our building will be delivered on time because we haven’t spent even a single meeting debating anything that was not 100% essential. The look is not essential for us at all, most of our customers don’t care and that means we don’t care.

As for the external power supply. Most small devices come with an external power supply ours is just a big devices that needs one. We could make our device bigger and have the power supply inside which would mean a larger shipping box, and a larger package sent to you. That would mean extra shipping costs. It would also mean more engineering of the airflow inside the case. (all fans must point the same way really) This comes under the “waste of time category” a far quicker solution is to let the customer supply and use an external power supply, (like all of the smaller components) Then you can simply have it on the outside of the case so it won’t get in the way of the airflow. Yes it fits on a 19inch rack shelf, There is space behind the unit for a power supply on the shelves (this is what we are doing in our hosting), You are welcome to use cable ties to make it look nice and keep it secure if you want to.
  Another one of our internal rules is that unless its 100% essential we simply don’t spend time on it.

The bottom line is what you are getting from KNC is over engineered and not over designed.  Imagine how upset people would be if we had something that looked great but we were delayed because of the design.

Thanks

Sam

You Sir are correct. Deadline, Deadline, DEADLINE!!!!!! Let's make sure you meet, and hopefully beat, the delivery deadline of a quality product that works!!!

Waiting anxiously for my Saturn. Smiley
CYPER

Activity: 798
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 05:53:54 PM

1. Cyper said he rang you today with regards components (heatsinks etc) used in the miner and you said he could swop them out for any other parts he wished to use. Surely this invalidates your guarantee? If it doesn't, please clarify. Are there any situations where it wouldn't? It leaves people who are not hosted by knc at a bit of a disadvantage.

I have never said that. Go check my post again.
Don't put words in my mouth please, instead try to learn how to read and remember simple bits of information.

This is the reason I don't share information that I am given when I call KNC - people like to twist it around and "A lie told often enough becomes the truth"
Phoenix1969
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

LIR DEV

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 05:54:54 PM

Now naysayers go take a nap. KNC is indeed a Top-Shelf company.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
NoDisco

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 05:56:04 PM

1. Cyper said he rang you today with regards components (heatsinks etc) used in the miner and you said he could swop them out for any other parts he wished to use. Surely this invalidates your guarantee? If it doesn't, please clarify. Are there any situations where it wouldn't? It leaves people who are not hosted by knc at a bit of a disadvantage.

Don't put words in my mouth please, instead try to learn how to read and remember simple bits of information.

Just got off the phone with Sam - it is a pleasure to talk to him and gives answers to all questions, so if you have any questions I suggest you call him Smiley
But he said there is absolutely no problem to change the fans if you want less noise or higher performance.
You said fan, not heatsink. Sorry. Working from memory. The point about guarantee is the same.
ASIC-K

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Hell?

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 05:57:12 PM

Just got off the phone with Sam - it is a pleasure to talk to him and gives answers to all questions, so if you have any questions I suggest you call him Smiley
But he said there is absolutely no problem to change the fans if you want less noise or higher performance.

FAN, Not heatsink. dumbass.
NoDisco

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:00:33 PM

You are a pedantic bunch. I changed the post to say fans. My question about whether modifying the miner invalidates the guarantee and any situations it might not still stands to be answered.
ASIC-K

Hell?

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:03:04 PM

You are a pedantic bunch. I changed the post to say fans. My question about whether modifying the miner invalidates the guarantee still stands to be answered.

Does this really need to be asked? Just stop.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:05:52 PM

You are a pedantic bunch. I changed the post to say fans. My question about whether modifying the miner invalidates the guarantee and any situations it might not still stands to be answered.

Whatever, you're probably on the fence to join a group buy on a Mercury

This is why those group buys or smaller units is terrible for customer service

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
NoDisco

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:06:15 PM

You are a pedantic bunch. I changed the post to say fans. My question about whether modifying the miner invalidates the guarantee still stands to be answered.

Yes it does.

If the heatsink on a hosted miner fails, I guess knc will replace it.

If the heatsink on a miner owned by a guy in the US fails, does he replace it himself and invalidate his guarantee? Which means if the miner entirely stops working 2 days later, he has a piece of garbage on his hands.

So that guy might also like to know how long it takes to be repaired if he has to send it back to Sweden, how long that round trip might take, so he can maintain his guarantee intact.

How is that not a very valid question for many customers?
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:07:54 PM

http://youtu.be/otCpCn0l4Wo

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Phoenix1969
Legendary

LIR DEV

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:09:05 PM

Really, if you want it to look cool, and underperform, and possibly get it late, we could have bought "Ailenware" Worried about looks? Slap a sticker on the case.
The server rack mount is awesome....  fits right in!!! this is so cool.
Thanks KNC!!!

▀▀███▀
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
CYPER

Activity: 798
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:10:05 PM

Yes it does.

If the heatsink on a hosted miner fails, I guess knc will replace it.

If the heatsink on a miner owned by a guy in the US fails, does he replace it himself and invalidate his guarantee? Which means if the miner entirely stops working 2 days later, he has a piece of garbage on his hands.

So that guy might also like to know how long it takes to be repaired if he has to send it back to Sweden, how long that round trip might take, so he can maintain his guarantee intact.

How is that not a very valid question for many customers?

You sound like a person who have no clue how a heatsink works.
Please explain how a heatsink fails exactly and what would be the consequences according to you.
Phoenix1969
Legendary

LIR DEV

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:17:44 PM

yeah, this should be good.... Keenan's a "GoodGuy" tho, he's just asking imho

So, am I mistaken in thinking we could slap H20 coolers on these?

▀▀███▀
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
ASIC-K

Hell?

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:26:22 PM

i can be a bit of an asshole. sorry.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 06:26:45 PM

Lol there were idiots that wanted the psu inside? These are the idiots that want it just to be cool and have no clue how to even make it work. Same idiots that will preconfigure a pool.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:40:44 PM

Lol there were idiots that wanted the psu inside? These are the idiots that want it just to be cool and have no clue how to even make it work.

Um computers/servers have an internal PSU. Somehow that works.

Really you think that a ATX PSU which exhausts heat OUTSIDE the case somehow would be impossible and the only purpose would be for it to "be cool".  Really?  

So just to make sure I got it straight.

Smart idea.  Current case with PSU sitting beside it on the right connected to ASICs and control boards via external cables.
Stupid idea.  Similar case which is 3" wider with PSU sitting in the same spot except it is now inside the case and connected to ASICS and control boards via internal cables.

Want to explain that to me?  Please provide details.

Phoenix1969
Legendary

LIR DEV

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:41:13 PM

Lol there were idiots that wanted the psu inside? These are the idiots that want it just to be cool and have no clue how to even make it work. Same idiots that will preconfigure a pool.
I be one of those "idiots" who's having their machines pre-configured... I love the Idea of plug & play... It will take me moments to begin mining, and  when KNC goes to test them with your preconfig info, you'll actually earn a tad on the pool account, as well as have the ability to see your speeds, and know when it's about to ship without asking. So yeah, I'm a idiot. Smiley

▀▀███▀
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 06:47:06 PM

Here's the thing, if the configuration breaks or changes, you will need to learn how to do it. You should spend that time while diff is lower rather than later.
Pools can change addresses, usernames, anything.

I be one of those "idiots" who's having their machines pre-configured... I love the Idea of plug & play... It will take me moments to begin mining, and  when KNC goes to test them with your preconfig info, you'll actually earn a tad on the pool account, as well as have the ability to see your speeds, and know when it's about to ship without asking. So yeah, I'm a idiot. Smiley

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 06:48:52 PM

People are disappointed that it's not inside. That's dumb. As knc said, who cares? Professionals have wires, risers and everything strung about.
Yes some people are only here to be cool and earn income. They will get mad when something doesn't work and they have 0 clue how to fix it.

Lol there were idiots that wanted the psu inside? These are the idiots that want it just to be cool and have no clue how to even make it work.

Um computers/servers have an internal PSU. Somehow that works.

Really you think that a ATX PSU which exhausts heat OUTSIDE the case somehow would be impossible and the only purpose would be for it to "be cool".  Really? 

So just to make sure I got it straight.

Smart idea.  Current case with PSU sitting beside it on the right connected to ASICs and control boards via external cables.
Stupid idea.  Similar case which is 3" wider with PSU sitting in the same spot except it is now inside the case and connected to ASICS and control boards via internal cables.

Want to explain that to me?  Please provide details.

Pages: « 1 ... 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 [324] 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: