Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:36:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058361 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:34:09 PM

The GUI is spaghetti-code-entwined into the daemon.

Thus if you use the GUI, you just tell it to also act as a server, by setting server=1 in config or --server on commandline or something like that.

The daemon you don't need to tell it to act as a server, as that is all it does, it lacks all the spaghetti-code monstrousness of the interwined GUI-code.

It would have been lovely if Satoshi had coded a GUI as a totally distinct separate thing from the actual back end, but he didn't and trying to dis-entangle them is hard enough that doubtless some folk figured he actually had to entwine them to get the GUI to work nicely since a GUI that constantly knows the exact state of the back end has certain advantages. A mess of callbacks would be needed otherwise, or a whole lot of polling, and so on.

So basically you either run the GUI version or the daemon version. To get the RPC calls when running the GUI you tell the GUI you want server mode enabled, which basically means provide what the daemon does as well as providing the GUI.

The daemon also has a mode in which it merely acts as a communications interface to talk to the resident copy of the daemon. That is maybe confusing if you are used to having a separate control program to talk to your daemons. Apparently there is even now some talk about making that separation in bitcoin, so you'd run bitcoind and it'd go resident, then use bitcoinctl or ctlbitcoind or some such to talk to it. But right now e.g. devcoind is also its own control/communications program. Probably it would equally well talk to the GUI's server mode, so if you wanted from the commandline, a script etc to ask the GUI, that is in server mode, some info you'd go "devcoind getinfo" just like you would to ask the resident daemon some info.

-MarkM-

Does the daemon include a wallet? If so Id say to just usr resident version of the daemon and not gui.. making guis are hard to do properly so I dont hate satoshi for creating loosely coupled code but in genetal you want to keep your data layer stateless so Id rather use a headless server on an exchange if wallet functionality exists.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 05:57:39 PM

All you need is a daemon to do transactions. The GUI is just to make it easier for people to use

ANiceJewishBoy

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:15:13 PM

Less than $1000 for a 3D printer that prints metal: http://gigaom.com/2013/11/12/meet-the-mini-metal-maker-a-basic-sub-1000-3d-printer-that-prints-metal/

One of our goals was 3D printing metal wasn't it?

-MarkM-

That's amazing.
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:51:09 PM

Less than $1000 for a 3D printer that prints metal: http://gigaom.com/2013/11/12/meet-the-mini-metal-maker-a-basic-sub-1000-3d-printer-that-prints-metal/

One of our goals was 3D printing metal wasn't it?

-MarkM-

That's amazing.

Wow. I'm surprised anyone could make a metal printer for that price. It's not a pure metal printer, because you have to burn off the binder in a kiln, but it's less work than the lost wax process, and a big step forward.

I could not find their email address, if someone can contact them and get them to post a devcoin address, I'll send them 6 million devcoins (currently around 500$) to start. In the article they mention they're using open source software, but they don't say if the printer design is open source. If it is, then we'll give them a big bounty in generation shares and I'll give them more of my own devcoins.

Note: An alternate way would be for someone to contribute a 1,000$ through their funding page:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/minimetalmaker-a-small-3d-printer-that-fabricates-with-precious-metal-clay/contributions/new?perk_amt=1000&perk_id=1498954

with their devcoin address in their name. Devcoins would be sent to that address, and that person would get an assembled MiniMetalMaker in Sep 2014, according to their posted schedule.

weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:14:50 PM

Wow. I'm surprised anyone could make a metal printer for that price. It's not a pure metal printer, because you have to burn off the binder in a kiln, but it's less work than the lost wax process, and a big step forward.

I could not find their email address, if someone can contact them and get them to post a devcoin address, I'll send them 6 million devcoins (currently around 500$) to start. In the article they mention they're using open source software, but they don't say if the printer design is open source. If it is, then we'll give them a big bounty in generation shares and I'll give them more of my own devcoins.

Note: An alternate way would be for someone to contribute a 1,000$ through their funding page:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/minimetalmaker-a-small-3d-printer-that-fabricates-with-precious-metal-clay/contributions/new?perk_amt=1000&perk_id=1498954

with their devcoin address in their name. Devcoins would be sent to that address, and that person would get an assembled MiniMetalMaker in Sep 2014, according to their posted schedule.
http://minimetalmaker.com/contact
no email, but fb/twitter/funding platform contact links
shakezula

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:46:23 AM

Hi Guys,

Since right now the writers are being paid 90% generation I propose that we add in a bounty share funded by the generation. I thought this was the original purpose of the coin to fund developers and writing was just a result of devtome which was the result of a bounty completed by a developer? How did devtome end up hijacking the entire 90% of the coin generation? Anyways what makes sense is if there is incentive to do some bounties because that's what will bring about results. Devtome is a great project and as more people write the hope is that ad revenue will fully support the writers. Since it is on training-wheels still it needs some percentage of the coins being minted to still bring in more people to write. The original intent was that devtome would support itself and bounties would be an going process. I propose we stick to the plan and taper off the 90% of the writers earnings to something more reasonable. The bounty program is just as important if not more important to the success of the project than devtome (which is a single bounty project). Since training-wheels are still needed I propose 45% of the generation goes to writers and 45% goes to the bounty wallet (like a piggy bank) such that when it gets big enough there is enough incentive for it to be claimed to finish new projects.

I'm not sure how this was all lost and why the full generation has been going to devtome... seems like this was changed somewhere along the lines when devtome was introduced, but I propose we get back to a viable economic strategy here. Unless we want to be called devtomeCoin.

Admins/Developers need to vote yes or no and we can tally the results and publish them. Maybe with their vote they can include a short explanation for their vote.

Jag

I agree with the gist of this post, I think we should consider rearranging the shares and reallocating and vote yes.
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 01:05:49 AM

Hi Guys,

Since right now the writers are being paid 90% generation I propose that we add in a bounty share funded by the generation. I thought this was the original purpose of the coin to fund developers and writing was just a result of devtome which was the result of a bounty completed by a developer? How did devtome end up hijacking the entire 90% of the coin generation? Anyways what makes sense is if there is incentive to do some bounties because that's what will bring about results. Devtome is a great project and as more people write the hope is that ad revenue will fully support the writers. Since it is on training-wheels still it needs some percentage of the coins being minted to still bring in more people to write. The original intent was that devtome would support itself and bounties would be an going process. I propose we stick to the plan and taper off the 90% of the writers earnings to something more reasonable. The bounty program is just as important if not more important to the success of the project than devtome (which is a single bounty project). Since training-wheels are still needed I propose 45% of the generation goes to writers and 45% goes to the bounty wallet (like a piggy bank) such that when it gets big enough there is enough incentive for it to be claimed to finish new projects.

I'm not sure how this was all lost and why the full generation has been going to devtome... seems like this was changed somewhere along the lines when devtome was introduced, but I propose we get back to a viable economic strategy here. Unless we want to be called devtomeCoin.

Admins/Developers need to vote yes or no and we can tally the results and publish them. Maybe with their vote they can include a short explanation for their vote.

Jag

I agree with the gist of this post, I think we should consider rearranging the shares and reallocating and vote yes.

Thanks,

To add to that I think we can get DVC onto the Tag Coin exchange which lets you trade bitcoin/tagcoins/devcoins? and deposit/withdraw up to 8 different fiat currencies. Fully regulated, 10 full time developers. I told the owner I'd like to add a Tag community in exchange to add DVC to his exchange. A Tag community certainly fits the marketing description for devcoin. We can eliminate the marketting shares from the list and associate a Tag Reward (affliative link) to each add and then reward based on number of signups or some other custom criteria. It really is a nice approach to deal with Pay per click spams. It raises the quality of ads aswell as people have incentive to draw more traffic to the ad if they get more coins based on signups. Ofcourse a certain % of the mining has to go to it but probably less than what we are using now. It can be dynamic based on number of signups last round.
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:00:58 PM

http://minimetalmaker.com/contact
no email, but fb/twitter/funding platform contact links
Edit: actually this address is on their twitter page:
dhartkop@gmail.com
mrca

Activity: 43

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 01:23:38 PM

Hi
I have another noob (and perhaps stupid) question:

Is DVB (on crypto stock, or it's verified real life person) somehow related with DevCoin's bounty system?

i.e.: by buying DVBs, do we help the Community, or only help ourselves?

I've read all written about DVB here and on Devtome (nothing there!), and my preliminary conclusion is negative.

Please correct me, or direct me towards the right info...

Also, if not, is there some kind of bank/cooperative/fund/... that manages the actual bounties (not the shares) so we could finance this "fund", and reclaim our coins later (with or without interest...)?

Thanks in advance,
mrca

killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 01:44:31 PM

Is DVB (on crypto stock, or it's verified real life person) somehow related with DevCoin's bounty system?

Not directly.

As far as I understand, the person behind it, Richard Porubcan, paid some bounties on behalf of DVB, and also he helped to organize some projects which got Devcoin bounties (shares).

i.e.: by buying DVBs, do we help the Community, or only help ourselves?

It's hard to say, DVB lacks clearly written policy.

Also, if not, is there some kind of bank/cooperative/fund/... that manages the actual bounties (not the shares) so we could finance this "fund", and reclaim our coins later (with or without interest...)?

I think this is what DVB was supposed to be about, but it isn't managed in a clear and transparent manner.

Perhaps you can start by describing how exactly it should work.

Chromia: a better dapp platform
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 01:56:53 PM

All you need is a daemon to do transactions. The GUI is just to make it easier for people to use

Doesn't the -qt lack some features present on the daemon?
best_btc

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:10:48 PM

did the voting about the 45% instead of 90% ditribution happen yet? whose decision is that really? what of an effect do we expect on the price value of DVC regarding this?

XRP:  rNnou9B7snYUPPQdH9KP4D9JQ7EJXTKN4G
BTC:  1ELy69CQ8u77qYvjgfZBFxcyNNyrtcQFFR
I wrote already to BTC-e, Mtgox support to add DVC (again). you all should write them too, let our voices be heard:
 http://hdbtce.kayako.com/
and also Mtgox:
https://twitter.com/MtGox
https://support.mtgox.com/home
mrca

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 03:11:13 PM

...I think this is what DVB was supposed to be about, but it isn't managed in a clear and transparent manner.

Thank You for fast and accurate answer.

Now that's what I was thinking about:

Devcoin bounties are (afaik, don't forget I'm new...) paid in two ways:
A - "In hand": transferred from a wallet, already mined, and "old" coins.
B - shares: mined (those are coins in the future, not yet mined)

I'm talking about those "old" coins (point A):
(and I'm talking for myself, please don't feel offended)
 - instead of hoarding them/sit on them/fatten my bottom/... I'd like to let the money work, so I could give them to a trust/fund/... backed by the Devcoin Admins
 - this fund should (under transparent mono-cephalic administration repaid from profit) invest/trade/"produce" some value with this fund.
(This is the most sensitive part, and I'm new in this community, but I've read and there are a few thrifty individuals here that certainly know more than me how to grow a bunch of coins...)
 - if quick bounties are needed - those are money "at hand" (refilled from future shares)
 - If large volume bounties are needed: more than could be mined during some project, this fund might also be welcome...
 - It's manager could also implement some coherent policy (sell to distribute coin for usage, buy to rise the price...) established at the Admin level or by shareholder's vote (already in place...)
 - Other benefits I'm not enough educated to see, derived from managing a large volume of money...

If this would help and would exist, I'd gladly give it my DVCs, instead of selling too low or throwing them into the basement...
Thanks again for the patience

ANiceJewishBoy

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:55:21 PM

Has anyone calculated the size of a round 29 share yet? Jw.
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:41:24 PM

I like the idea of an investment fund.  It would have to be developed further so that everyone has clear expectations about it, but that's something I'd be inclined to invest in too.  One of my expectations would be that I would want nice slick website pages which explain in plain English every single project (a page for each one) with lots of clearly labeled pictures and plenty of discussion about how said project will improve my life.  All those pages would have to be easily found by visiting an easy to remember url.  The entire site should have an FAQ section, post who are the decision makers of the fund and how to reach them, indicate when things are up for a vote, and there should be a blog for project updates (categorized by projects so I could easily find all the updates on any particular project).  When you buy a share, that enters your email address (with your consent of course but it is strongly encouraged) onto the fund mailing list and shareholders are kept updated with everything relevant.  Part of the revenue could come from advertising on the site.

In the mean time, FWIW, I've been putting my Devcoins into VIRTUAL and P2PDVC, both on Cryptostocks.

...I think this is what DVB was supposed to be about, but it isn't managed in a clear and transparent manner.

Thank You for fast and accurate answer.

Now that's what I was thinking about:

Devcoin bounties are (afaik, don't forget I'm new...) paid in two ways:
A - "In hand": transferred from a wallet, already mined, and "old" coins.
B - shares: mined (those are coins in the future, not yet mined)

I'm talking about those "old" coins (point A):
(and I'm talking for myself, please don't feel offended)
 - instead of hoarding them/sit on them/fatten my bottom/... I'd like to let the money work, so I could give them to a trust/fund/... backed by the Devcoin Admins
 - this fund should (under transparent mono-cephalic administration repaid from profit) invest/trade/"produce" some value with this fund.
(This is the most sensitive part, and I'm new in this community, but I've read and there are a few thrifty individuals here that certainly know more than me how to grow a bunch of coins...)
 - if quick bounties are needed - those are money "at hand" (refilled from future shares)
 - If large volume bounties are needed: more than could be mined during some project, this fund might also be welcome...
 - It's manager could also implement some coherent policy (sell to distribute coin for usage, buy to rise the price...) established at the Admin level or by shareholder's vote (already in place...)
 - Other benefits I'm not enough educated to see, derived from managing a large volume of money...

If this would help and would exist, I'd gladly give it my DVCs, instead of selling too low or throwing them into the basement...
Thanks again for the patience

Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:46:18 PM

In the mean time, FWIW, I've been putting my Devcoins into VIRTUAL and P2PDVC, both on Cryptostocks.

Will be doing the same.

mrca

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 06:15:04 PM

I like the idea of an investment fund. ... I would want nice slick website pages which explain in plain English

This is totally doable! Every one of us (those who write on devtome) could write those "plain English" pages, like popularized science. There is no need to force the engineers/analysts/etc to leave their comfort zone, we could help them.
If not on devtome, then everywhere could be hosted an usual CMS. I also could write some pages myself...

As about the fund, I suggested to be mono-cephalic, for speed of decision (I don't believe in committees) and transparent, so... you understand...

I'd like to promote such a project (i.e. work and push it through, not leading it, leading is a merit-based position...). I'd be glad to know which domains belong to devcoin community and where could this "DevCoin Projects Encyclopedia" be hosted...

In my country, domains are for life, and around 50USD. I'd buy one from my money (in max 30 days from now) and host it on one of my hosts.
It could easily be WP, or, if undesirable, other CMS of choice.

How will You find the first Fund Administrator, and who will endorse him/her?
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:30:11 PM

I'd be interested in helping with some of the writing Smiley

I like the idea of an investment fund. ... I would want nice slick website pages which explain in plain English

This is totally doable! Every one of us (those who write on devtome) could write those "plain English" pages, like popularized science. There is no need to force the engineers/analysts/etc to leave their comfort zone, we could help them.
If not on devtome, then everywhere could be hosted an usual CMS. I also could write some pages myself...

As about the fund, I suggested to be mono-cephalic, for speed of decision (I don't believe in committees) and transparent, so... you understand...

I'd like to promote such a project (i.e. work and push it through, not leading it, leading is a merit-based position...). I'd be glad to know which domains belong to devcoin community and where could this "DevCoin Projects Encyclopedia" be hosted...

In my country, domains are for life, and around 50USD. I'd buy one from my money (in max 30 days from now) and host it on one of my hosts.
It could easily be WP, or, if undesirable, other CMS of choice.

How will You find the first Fund Administrator, and who will endorse him/her?

best_btc

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:33:36 PM

oh, nice, what is this?
http://cryptobourse.com/

XRP:  rNnou9B7snYUPPQdH9KP4D9JQ7EJXTKN4G
BTC:  1ELy69CQ8u77qYvjgfZBFxcyNNyrtcQFFR
I wrote already to BTC-e, Mtgox support to add DVC (again). you all should write them too, let our voices be heard:
 http://hdbtce.kayako.com/
and also Mtgox:
https://twitter.com/MtGox
https://support.mtgox.com/home
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:40:34 PM

oh, nice, what is this?
http://cryptobourse.com/

Its just an exchange?
Pages: « 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: