Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:59:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 [1456] 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032125 times)
WhatsBitcoin

Activity: 560
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 12:48:27 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2015, 01:30:41 AM by WhatsBitcoin

Peter Todd is right. Comically low fees isn't a promise Bitcoin made in the first place.

@jgarzik Any announcement like that would be giving the impression that we're in control of the system, which simply isn't true. The Bitcoin protocol itself has always obviously had a transaction rate limit and associated economic consequences. We've done a bad job in communicating that fact to the general public, but doing that correctly requires a very different message than "we've changing a policy which previously meant txs were cheap, and now will mean they're expensive" - we simply don't have that level of control because Bitcoin is a decentralized system.

tl;dr: Don't try to blame the Bitcoin Core developers for a fundamental property of the Bitcoin protocol itself.

Get sick. Get well.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 01:35:54 AM

Peter Todd is right. Comically low fees isn't a promise Bitcoin made in the first place.

@jgarzik Any announcement like that would be giving the impression that we're in control of the system, which simply isn't true. The Bitcoin protocol itself has always obviously had a transaction rate limit and associated economic consequences. We've done a bad job in communicating that fact to the general public, but doing that correctly requires a very different message than "we've changing a policy which previously meant txs were cheap, and now will mean they're expensive" - we simply don't have that level of control because Bitcoin is a decentralized system.

tl;dr: Don't try to blame the Bitcoin Core developers for a fundamental property of the Bitcoin protocol itself.

Nice to see PT, L-JR, DRAK, and especially Davout rekking the Gavincoiner Free Shit Army.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 01:48:17 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2015, 02:05:55 AM by Adrian-x

so leave it to the market, it wasn't ever agreed developers could manipulate the protocol to adjust fees to a level they dreamed appropriate, that's a Comical idea.

as pointed out many times by many people transaction fees are subsidized by block rewards, fees will increase when the reword drops enough, and the rewards are necessary to grow the network. Who could argue what the correct fare for a taxi should be if somewhere between 100% and 96% of the fee was subsidized by the cab company.  

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
pleaseexplainagain

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 02:02:31 AM

[/quote]

so leave it to the market, it wasn't ever agreed developers could manipulate the protocol to adjust fees to a level they dreamed appropriate, that's a Comical idea.

as pointed out many times by many people transaction fees are subsidized by block rewards, fees will increase when the reword drops enough, and the rewards are necessary to grow the network, who could argue what the correct fare for a taxi should be if 99% of the fee is subsidized by the cab company.  
[/quote]

very apt analogy
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 02:39:51 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2015, 07:55:43 PM by iCEBREAKER

as pointed out many times by many people transaction fees are subsidized by block rewards, fees will increase when the reword drops enough, and the rewards are necessary to grow the network, who could argue what the correct fare for a taxi should be if 99% of the fee is subsidized by the cab company.  

very apt analogy

We're getting at the crux at the issue here, and thus now in danger of productive discourse occurring.

Continuing with the semi-apt metaphor of Uber's now-canonical salient example of Disruption, let us note Uber, Lyft, and Sidecar are burning copious amounts of VC funding to subsidize their ridesharing customers/drivers, so great is their fetish for market share.

Their question is to what extent is it rational to subsidize rides in order to gain market share, and our own is to what extent their model should be emulated.

(If I knew how to calculate that, I'd be too busy making big bucks programming high-frequency option trading bots to post here...)

But Bitcoin's equivalents of VC largess (block reward subsidizes and charitable community good will) do not operate on the same ROI calculus, so the metaphor breaks down quickly and catastrophically.

And thus our community cleaves (perhaps fatally) into two halves, one favoring even more generous user subsidies for the sake of Metcalfe's Law, and the other (asshole Libertarians all), who object on principle to charging less that what the market will bear for the miraculous services Bitcoin offers.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1835

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 03:12:48 AM

iCEBREAKER

I must be an Asshole Libertarian (because that's just kinda the way I am), but even lil ol moi thinks that security and health of the Bitcoin Ecosystem might require the occasional *tweak* now and then.  As in my idea posted a couple of weeks or so ago re minimum BTC amounts (sayBTC0.001) and/or minimum fees (say, BTC0.0003) to fight off the spammers...

I don't mind paying a bit more for my BTC payment to go through.  And, really, who needs micropayments?  (Oh...., was that an ominous silence I just heard in here?)

(Hear you re getting rich programming if I could do really advanced calculations)
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 03:26:44 AM

OROBTC:

I think you nailed the essence of the two views. But there is consequences for the current users:

With high capacity, more people will be able to use bitcoin, which is a clear advantage for the current users, because the bitcoins we have will be more liquid, and possibly higher priced.

With low capacity, there is a lower max limit to how many users there can be, because the higher fees will detract some use cases. Bluntly said, in the low capacity/high fee scenario, I might want to trade with someone that is not already a user, I have to suggest bitcoin to him, teach him everything, and if he becomes a new user, someone else is pressed out by the high fees.

I clearly favor the high capacity scenario on these grounds. Not here taking into account the risk of modifying the system.
Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 03:36:51 AM

And by "the risk of modifying the system", i mean the actual programming. I regard the current limit, or any programmed limit, as a form of defensive programming. Not as a rule inherent in the bitcoin system, as advised in the whitepaper.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 04:07:57 AM

Gold down already tonite.  Dow futures also down -73; that's not good:

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 04:09:41 AM

the once powerful Barrick Gold.  everything PM is looking sick:

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 04:10:51 AM

this one's lookin' good, eh' tvbcof?:

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 04:16:54 AM

iCEBREAKER

I must be an Asshole Libertarian (because that's just kinda the way I am), but even lil ol moi thinks that security and health of the Bitcoin Ecosystem might require the occasional *tweak* now and then.  As in my idea posted a couple of weeks or so ago re minimum BTC amounts (sayBTC0.001) and/or minimum fees (say, BTC0.0003) to fight off the spammers...

I don't mind paying a bit more for my BTC payment to go through.  And, really, who needs micropayments?  (Oh...., was that an ominous silence I just heard in here?)

(Hear you re getting rich programming if I could do really advanced calculations)

Well, I was the *first* libertarian asshole who objected on principle to charging less that what the market will bear for the miraculous services Bitcoin offers.  OK maybe not literally first, but at least I'm obnoxiously pushy and outspoken... Tongue

Yep, micropayments are very much a theoretical problem in search of an on-chain solution.  (Reddit's admittedly nifty BitcoinTip thingy notwithstanding.)

I say we work out macropayments, and in the process obsolete the BIS and its subordinate TBTF bail-out munching zombies, then worry about getting paid 2 satoshis for some snarky comment about Kim Kardashian.

Meanwhile, I support the original min tx fee of 0.01 BTC, for reasons Sunny King described starting here.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1197

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 04:39:34 AM

Meanwhile, I support the original min tx fee of 0.01 BTC, for reasons Sunny King described starting here.

If I'm not mistaken PPC burns the transaction fee. That's a function that doesn't exist in Bitcoin. I'm surprised that Sunny King didn't make the distinction in his otherwise insightful posts there.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 05:03:07 AM

If I'm not mistaken PPC burns the transaction fee. That's a function that doesn't exist in Bitcoin. I'm surprised that Sunny King didn't make the distinction in his otherwise insightful posts there.

Sunny's weekly updates are intended for the PPC community.  So TYVM for that important point of information.  I'll retire to my Mind Palace and reconsider previous conclusions.  Unlike some people, I do that when my initial assumptions are updated.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Wexlike
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 11:04:50 AM

iCEBREAKER

I must be an Asshole Libertarian (because that's just kinda the way I am), but even lil ol moi thinks that security and health of the Bitcoin Ecosystem might require the occasional *tweak* now and then.  As in my idea posted a couple of weeks or so ago re minimum BTC amounts (sayBTC0.001) and/or minimum fees (say, BTC0.0003) to fight off the spammers...

I don't mind paying a bit more for my BTC payment to go through.  And, really, who needs micropayments?  (Oh...., was that an ominous silence I just heard in here?)

And this thinking would drive all the markets that infact need the bitcoin ecosystem, either to offchain solutions or cryptocurrencies with a lower fee.

I am talking about the unbanked and poor economies.
zenitzz

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 11:11:49 AM

Well, if they drive the price down to sub 1,000  no worries , it will be just for a while and is good for you buy gold again take it benefit with this situation
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 11:24:34 AM

iCEBREAKER

And this thinking would drive all the markets that infact need the bitcoin ecosystem, either to offchain solutions or cryptocurrencies with a lower fee.

Bitcoin should want to include those who need it most for its own protection aka decentralization.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 11:47:32 AM

iCEBREAKER

Bitcoin should want to include those who need it most for its own protection aka decentralization.

Who need it most?!
And Please dont tell me the "unbanked". They need money food?!, not bitcoin.

Édit: eh it seems you guys were talking about the unbanked.. *desperation* wtf is wrong with your thinking paroting the socialist humanitarian bs. Ehhhhhhhh.. Yeezus
Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 11:53:11 AM

iCEBREAKER

I must be an Asshole Libertarian (because that's just kinda the way I am), but even lil ol moi thinks that security and health of the Bitcoin Ecosystem might require the occasional *tweak* now and then.  As in my idea posted a couple of weeks or so ago re minimum BTC amounts (sayBTC0.001) and/or minimum fees (say, BTC0.0003) to fight off the spammers...

I don't mind paying a bit more for my BTC payment to go through.  And, really, who needs micropayments?  (Oh...., was that an ominous silence I just heard in here?)

Who need it most?!
And Please dont tell me the "unbanked". They need money food?!, not bitcoin.

Those most in need are those who have to live with tariffs, regulations and currency controls. It includes people in poor countries. Look at Africa and the middle east, there is almost no trade between neighbouring countries, it is almost all import and export to the west.
Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 11:57:22 AM

I don't want to undercut the individual greed, but as individuals, we can also act to the betterment of humanity, if we wish.
Pages: « 1 ... 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 [1456] 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: