Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:03:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285062 times)
drgr33n (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:47:44 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2011, 03:08:42 PM by drgr33n

For the guys struggling with my HDD install video. Its due to the hightened security PaX will not let grub probe anything lol. heres a fix.

Code:
for i in $(ls /usr/sbin | grep grub); do
  paxctl -C /usr/sbin/$i
  paxctl -cE /usr/sbin/$i
done
grub-install /dev/sdX
update-grub

I should be rolling out the HDD installer with a nice QT interface over the weekend Wink
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hack6500

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 05:56:11 PM

> For the guys struggling with my HDD install video. Its due to the hightened
> security PaX will not let grub probe anything lol. heres a fix.
>
> Code:
> for i in $(ls /usr/sbin | grep grub); do
>  paxctl -C /usr/sbin/$i
>  paxctl -cE /usr/sbin/$i
> done
> grub-install /dev/sdX
> update-grub
>
> I should be rolling out the HDD installer with a nice QT interface over the weekend

I was going down the PaX route next, once again your response is AWESOME!

Maybe i missed this, but where are the PXE setup instructions for your implementation?

Cannot wait to see the installer, I will confirm the above shortly and report back.

Have a great day Dr.Gr33n AND THANK YOU!
Jessi

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 10:18:01 PM

have everything up and running since some days and I am very happy with LinuxCoin. Smiley Really good work. Thank you for that!!

Anyway I still have some little questions.

One is regarding a little error which seem not to affect the mining process, but anyway I would like to know if this is normal behavior or if I can do anything to fix it.
During mining with smartcoin failover sometimes appearing this:
Code:
/opt/smartcoin/smartcoin_status.sh: line 151: [[: 10 10 10: syntax error in exp)

What does that mean?

www.Bitcoin-Tools.de - Price Alert & Calculator [OUTDATED!]
A little tool to keep you informed or wake you up, if Mt.Gox reaches a defined price level and a calculator to convert  BTC or USD based on live Prices. It´s not working any more, because of Mt.Gox... but it was fun to code that time... keeping this link just for reminding... Thanks to everyone for donations done that time!
BTC: 1BQTankpeCZict849JRHxxYFnwZARV3YX7 | LTC: LecEsSJMYZK7wk493QvyNzA4BxHpXviAEA | PPC: PQdjfxTbjnXThwJ5bbEgJkc9GZcKpib9DM
jondecker76

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 12:38:51 AM

have everything up and running since some days and I am very happy with LinuxCoin. Smiley Really good work. Thank you for that!!

One is regarding a little error which seem not to affect the mining process, but anyway I would like to know if this is normal behavior or if I can do anything to fix it.
Code:
/opt/smartcoin/smartcoin_status.sh: line 151: [[: 10 10 10: syntax error in exp)

What does that mean?

Its caused from multiple entries being present in the database (this was from a bug, there should have only been one entry in the database). It is fixed in latest experimental releases, and I'd recommend that you update by:
1) Go to the control screen -> Edit Settings then change the development branch from 'stable' to 'experimental'
2) Use the Update function from the control screen - this should take give you a partial update to r607.  Restart smartcoin and run the  update again to go from r607 to the latest release.  There are many many new features and improvements (including a completely revamped settings engine, multi-machine support, poclbm support and a lot more).  Not only will you have the latest code, but your multiple database entries will be fixed in the process!

Feel free to post any smartcoin related questions in the smartcoin thread as I monitor it closely for support issues!

RollerBot Advanced Trading Platform
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=447727.0
BTC Donations for development: 1H36oTJsi3adFh68wwzz95tPP2xoAoTmhC
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 01:27:23 AM

35.   Wait for the message that says you need to remove the USB flash-drive (DON'T DO THAT!), then just press "Enter"

This is a problem: Some times I need to remotely login and shutdown/reboot the machine, but this message will interupt the process since I'm not physically beside the machine and the ssh session has already closed

Is there a way to bypass this message?

What version ? this has been removed from 0.2b-final

Right, final version do not have this problem, I have not updated since I installed it

Jessi

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2011, 02:28:40 AM

Code:

What does that mean?

Its caused from multiple entries being present in the database (this was from a bug, there should have only been one entry in the database). It is fixed in latest experimental releases, and I'd recommend that you update by:
1) Go to the control screen -> Edit Settings then change the development branch from 'stable' to 'experimental'
2) Use the Update function from the control screen - this should take give you a partial update to r607.  Restart smartcoin and run the  update again to go from r607 to the latest release.  There are many many new features and improvements (including a completely revamped settings engine, multi-machine support, poclbm support and a lot more).  Not only will you have the latest code, but your multiple database entries will be fixed in the process!

Feel free to post any smartcoin related questions in the smartcoin thread as I monitor it closely for support issues!
Thank you for your answer. I have done the update and the version is now 607s but the error is still there. I will post to your other thread also, therefore no need to answer here. ;-) Thank you.

A little tool to keep you informed or wake you up, if Mt.Gox reaches a defined price level and a calculator to convert  BTC or USD based on live Prices. It´s not working any more, because of Mt.Gox... but it was fun to code that time... keeping this link just for reminding... Thanks to everyone for donations done that time!
BTC: 1BQTankpeCZict849JRHxxYFnwZARV3YX7 | LTC: LecEsSJMYZK7wk493QvyNzA4BxHpXviAEA | PPC: PQdjfxTbjnXThwJ5bbEgJkc9GZcKpib9DM
mikeo

Activity: 196

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 03:55:20 AM
Last edit: August 06, 2011, 12:13:46 PM by mikeo

They show fine in Device Manager, but Linuxcoin 0.2-Final doesn't see the second GPU and it doesn't make any difference if it is XFired or not. I'm exhausted, drunk, and giving up and going to bed.
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:00:44 PM

They show fine in Device Manager, but Linuxcoin 0.2-Final doesn't see the second GPU and it doesn't make any difference if it is XFired or not. I'm exhausted, drunk, and giving up and going to bed.

You updated your bios ? Please people if I've said a hundred times if you have a problem can you post as much information about your system as possible. I will be rolling out a debug tool that will generate all the required information for me to debug soon.

Mikeo. Did you try regenerating the configuration file for your cards ?

Code:
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo su
aticonfig --initial -f --adapter=all
/etc/init.d/gdm stop
/etc/init.d/gdm start

35.   Wait for the message that says you need to remove the USB flash-drive (DON'T DO THAT!), then just press "Enter"

This is a problem: Some times I need to remotely login and shutdown/reboot the machine, but this message will interupt the process since I'm not physically beside the machine and the ssh session has already closed

Is there a way to bypass this message?

What version ? this has been removed from 0.2b-final

Right, final version do not have this problem, I have not updated since I installed it

I would suggest you update bud. The previous version were alpha so can be buggy and I'm not supporting them. But hash out these two lines in /etc/init.d/live-boot

Code:
#			printf "\n\n${MESSAGE} and press ENTER to continue:" > /dev/console

# read x < /dev/console
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:48:00 PM

Sorry to bump people but I could do with some help testing my patched version of unetbootin. Had some weird reports and trying to get to the bottom of it but don't have the bandwidth to test because I'm running on a 3G dongle with 500MB of data.

http://linuxcoin.co.uk/downloads/unetbootin/

and use the download option with persistence.

Cheers !!
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:51:56 PM

Sorry to bump people but I could do with some help testing my patched version of unetbootin. Had some weird reports and trying to get to the bottom of it but don't have the bandwidth to test because I'm running on a 3G dongle with 500MB of data.

http://linuxcoin.co.uk/downloads/unetbootin/

and use the download option with persistence.

Cheers !!
I don't have a USB so...I can't fully test it.

drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:59:58 PM

Thanks !! hold off for a moment because I've just identified another bug Sad I'll post again when I'm ready to go. Sorry guys !!
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2011, 03:40:28 PM

I'll test the new one when you post it, but frankly for a portable wallet 21b is far superior to the latest versions.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 04:00:53 PM

I'll test the new one when you post it, but frankly for a portable wallet 21b is far superior to the latest versions.

lol I'll quote one of your lines on that one "ye knows not of what he speaks" Wink Would you like to explain why ?
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2011, 04:06:47 PM

lol I'll quote one of your lines on that one "ye knows not of what he speaks" Wink Would you like to explain why ?

Too confusing for the average user with the multiple choices.

A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 04:07:41 PM

In what context ? the whole thing or just the bitcoin client ?
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 05:14:44 PM

New version of unetbootin is now online http://linuxcoin.co.uk/downloads/unetbootin/

AMD APP SDK v2.5 in testing.
mikeo

Activity: 196

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 06:05:26 PM

@drg33n,

Regenerating the GPU config files worked! Thanks again.

Code:
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo su
aticonfig --initial -f --adapter=all
/etc/init.d/gdm stop
/etc/init.d/gdm start

The forth line blew me out of Linuxcoin to a CLI. I thought I was toast, but rebooted and it worked! Now sees both GPU cards.

I'm happy to beta test for you. Let me know what you want done.
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 06:17:04 PM

Ok I'm going to be releasing a beta version very soon I think with all the changes in the amd world.  Undecided
Jessi

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2011, 08:24:56 PM

Which kernel version of phatk ist implemented in the actual linuxcoin? Is it allready 2.1 or later 2.2?

Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2011, 09:07:33 PM

In what context ? the whole thing or just the bitcoin client ?

I recognize that 99% of the usability and users of LinuxCoin is for mining and miners.

My primary interest is to have an offline wallet system for the average user. Towards that effort I made the following posts:

Post #1078 P54

BitCoin Client Selection Suggestions.

PASSWORD
Being that you mentioned you were re-doing the Password issues of the secure bitcoin selection I did not bother to test as I had planned but will offer this set of suggestions:

I strongly suggest that you do *not* have a secure and non secure bitcoin client options. This will invariably lead to supreme confusion with average users.

Just have one bitcoin selection which asks for a password (none of that silly mount dev stuff please). The password can be <Enter> (I would suggest this on fresh startup). Upon successful entry of existing password user should be allowed option to change password or continue directly to bitcoin client.

BACKUP
It would be extremely helpful if there was an easy (GUI) way for the user to email the encrypted wallet.dat file (with the same password used for entry to bitcoin). It would be best if this file could be unencrypted in both windows and Linux, but if only Linuxcoin that will suffice.

BOOTUP
Please get something on screen quicker and leave the splash screen, or at least text saying one moment please. Those long black screens make one feel like nothing is happening.

SHUTDOWN
Seems to take forever and that black screen of death sucks. Do something as soon as I click shutdown and let me know when to take out the usb like the last version did. I seem to wait an eternity and when I do yank the usb it freaks out and vomits text all over the screen

BROWSER
The new browser is ugly and seems incredibly slow. I would prefer a return to chromium. It would be *really* nice if java was installed.

Post # 1130 p 57

Well I am extremely disapointed. The bitcoin client password tool does not work at all.

It does not matter what I pick, secured or unsecured I get the same wallet

In secured it does not matter what I type in or don't type as a password I see the same wallet

You have created a tool that is the beginning of a near perfect USB offline wallet system, but IMHO the average (not techie miner) person does not quite have have the ability to understand and use the newer system easily. I spent hours fiddling with passwords and gave up in frustration.

Cryptkeeper for the 21b helps, but the passwording scheme described above would be near perfect (again IMHO) if it were possible to implement.

Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: