Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 03:34:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 [468] 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312483 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2015, 04:35:18 PM

The argument has been made by quite a few people that satoshi's alleged stash is a cloud over the market since he could decide to start selling it at any unknown time.

Satoshi could also decide to reinvest his stash back into Bitcoin R&D, education, marketing, bootstrapping, etc.

Imagine the headlines if He started to pay people (in highly-collectible OG Bitcoins) to teach farmers/tutors/doctors/unbanked/emigrants how to use Bitcoin!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 05:50:52 PM

The argument has been made by quite a few people that satoshi's alleged stash is a cloud over the market since he could decide to start selling it at any unknown time.

Satoshi could also decide to reinvest his stash back into Bitcoin R&D, education, marketing, bootstrapping, etc.

Imagine the headlines if He started to pay people (in highly-collectible OG Bitcoins) to teach farmers/tutors/doctors/unbanked/emigrants how to use Bitcoin!

I really don't think it will make the "headlines" you're thinking about, when it comes to mainstream news picking up on it... but in the bitcoin community it would be huge news.  But why would he pay people to "teach" them how to use his coin? That doesn't really make any sense.

boolberry

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 05:54:28 PM

I really don't think it will make the "headlines" you're thinking about, when it comes to mainstream news picking up on it... but in the bitcoin community it would be huge news.  But why would he pay people to "teach" them how to use his coin? That doesn't really make any sense.

I speculate that if satoshi is alive he/she values privacy and has little need for large sums of money. Therefore the coins may sit idle for many years before being used.
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 06:01:40 PM

I speculate that if satoshi is alive he/she values privacy and has little need for large sums of money. Therefore the coins may sit idle for many years before being used.

IF it gets spent at all... I don't believe he/she will, but then again who knows.  I believe that it is a very bad thing if a currencies ecosystem will essentially collapse if Satoshi were to start spending his coins at all, in speculation that Satoshi himself doesn't believe bitcoins are worth it anymore... Like what americanpegasus pointed out earlier in the thread.

MalMen

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 06:46:28 PM

How much for the Buddha?
5€ or 8.33 monero Smiley
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2015, 07:03:40 PM

Satoshi could pay people who DO know how to use Bitcoin to teach those who DO NOT.  The more the merrier, because of the network effect.

It would make sense financially (as well as ideologically) to spend half his coins on education/outreach if the new user influx at least doubled the value of the remaining half.

The MSM loves a good story, especially ones about our mysterious founder.  Should He choose to become the world's wealthiest anonymous philanthropist, the hype would be bigger than Gox+Silkroad+Dorian+$1200ATH put together.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 07:33:51 PM

Dunno. The best way for him to "spend" his coins might be if they went in a single tx to "1LongLiveBitcoin..." (or otherwise visibly destroyed). I do think the market-overhang is an issue, and that's the only way to completely resolve it.
[ can you imagine what the bitcoin-days-destroyed chart would look like? heh... ]

Another (quite longtail) option: if bitcoin continues to gain traction, give govs each a key to an M of N address and ship the 1M BTC to that address as a global "stability fund". That'd provide some traditional "elasticity" and central management to the bitcoin money supply (which obviously govs will demand), but keeps it decidedly limited. They'd probably blow the 1M BTC pretty quickly anyway and then bitcoin would be even more embedded into the global economy (and still limited supply and transparent).

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
olcaytu2005
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 08:32:59 PM

WHY DASH AND MONERO COMMUNITY FIGHT CONSISTENTLY? WHY THEY DONT LIKE FROM EACH OTHER?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2015, 08:37:34 PM

Dunno. The best way for him to "spend" his coins might be if they went in a single tx to "1LongLiveBitcoin..." (or otherwise visibly destroyed). I do think the market-overhang is an issue, and that's the only way to completely resolve it.
[ can you imagine what the bitcoin-days-destroyed chart would look like? heh... ]

Another (quite longtail) option: if bitcoin continues to gain traction, give govs each a key to an M of N address and ship the 1M BTC to that address as a global "stability fund". That'd provide some traditional "elasticity" and central management to the bitcoin money supply (which obviously govs will demand), but keeps it decidedly limited. They'd probably blow the 1M BTC pretty quickly anyway and then bitcoin would be even more embedded into the global economy (and still limited supply and transparent).

If Satoshi wanted to destroy his coins he'd have done it by now, and "govs" are the last entities to which He would entrust Bitcoin.

With tree signatures, Satoshi could allow ~everyone to vote on if/how they are used....

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 08:39:55 PM

WHY DASH AND MONERO COMMUNITY FIGHT CONSISTENTLY? WHY THEY DONT LIKE FROM EACH OTHER?
I don't see any fighting.

Mostly just calling out a spade for being a spade.

Btw this is borderline off topic.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

olcaytu2005
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 09:34:22 PM

I don't see any fighting.

Are you blind?

Mostly just calling out a spade for being a spade.

it s not call a spade a spade it s just FUD

Btw this is borderline off topic.

Report me.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 09:37:26 PM

If Satoshi wanted to destroy his coins he'd have done it by now, and "govs" are the last entities to which He would entrust Bitcoin.

With tree signatures, Satoshi could allow ~everyone to vote on if/how they are used....

Agree on both counts, unfortunately.

Unfortunately because Satoshi's coins are indeed a negative for the ecosystem. People need to trust that:
1) Satoshi won't just dump 'em for diversification (I personally doubt it)
2) Satoshi won't dump 'em for some other reason (ie, he goes insane, finds himself under duress, etc)
3) His keys don't get hacked
4) He doesn't ultimately pass the stash on to others who are less ideologically-motivated and less careful than he seems to be

In short, it seems clear that the ecosystem would be better off without having to worry about the above, even if they're only tiny concerns.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2015, 09:48:43 PM

it s not call a spade a spade it s just FUD

Masternodes are bad for privacy and a 1.5 million instamine shouldn't allow you to post "No Premine" on all your media without someone calling you out for BS. So as soon as dash stops calling itself anonymous (or fixes its anonymity issues) and stops bullshitting people who are looking for a fairly launched coin with their semantic-contortions of  "No Premine," I'll stop pointing out their falsehoods. Until then it's the truth, so deal with it.

And to get us (kinda) back on topic, I speculate a few others feel the same.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 09:48:53 PM

Agree on both counts, unfortunately.

Unfortunately because Satoshi's coins are indeed a negative for the ecosystem. People need to trust that:
1) Satoshi won't just dump 'em for diversification (I personally doubt it)
2) Satoshi won't dump 'em for some other reason (ie, he goes insane, finds himself under duress, etc)
3) His keys don't get hacked
4) He doesn't ultimately pass the stash on to others who are less ideologically-motivated and less careful than he seems to be

In short, it seems clear that the ecosystem would be better off without having to worry about the above, even if they're only tiny concerns.

... but there remains the issue of Satoshi dying and creating a massive capital gains / estate tax liability. When it comes to Satoshi's coins I am far more concerned about Satoshi's estate than Satoshi.  

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
illodin

Activity: 966

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 09:49:50 PM

Because some think the reason Monero isn't going anywhere is DASH.
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 09:59:30 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2015, 05:44:17 PM by kazuki49

... but there remains the issue of Satoshi dying and creating a massive capital gains / estate tax liability. When it comes to Satoshi's coins I am far more concerned about Satoshi's estate than Satoshi.  

Satoshi's coins are forever a dark cloud hanging over the markets, I think he deserves his fortune but it is what it is, like any coin with premine or instamine these coins could be dumped at any time, we can't ever be sure if he still has the private keys or someone else is or will be in possession of them and will ever move or dump the coins, it is an eternal state of uncertainty.
Harpua

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Spastic dead-eyed hound.

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 11:31:32 PM

Satoshis coin are forever a dark cloud hanging over the markest, I think he deserves his fortune but it is what it is, like any coin with premine or instamine these coin could be dumped at any time, we can't ever be sure if he still has the private keys or someone else is or will be in possession of them and will ever move or dump the coins, it is an eternal state of uncertainty.

Idk if I remember correctly, but I remember seeing a thread somewhere on here that Satoshi actually did move his coins... Is there any validity to this?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2015, 11:38:16 PM

Satoshis coin are forever a dark cloud hanging over the markest, I think he deserves his fortune but it is what it is, like any coin with premine or instamine these coin could be dumped at any time, we can't ever be sure if he still has the private keys or someone else is or will be in possession of them and will ever move or dump the coins, it is an eternal state of uncertainty.

Satoshi's 'Sword of Damocles' coins may help discourage or tamp down irrational exuberance, perhaps making price growth less speculative and more solid.

In any case, the overwrought FUD about them ignores how antifragility works.  IE, they will either kill Bitcoin or make it stronger.  And they aren't going to kill Bitcoin, so....

Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 11:50:25 PM

WHY DASH AND MONERO COMMUNITY FIGHT CONSISTENTLY?

They're not.

Dash doesn't have a community anymore so it can't be accused of fighting. (You can't fight if you don't exist.) The market traders who have temporal dash positions are engaging for the sake of self-service.

That said I really don't feel sorry for Evan that the project failed. It was poorly conceived, poor branded, and then apocalyptically rebranded.

No-one could afford to have such dangerously flawed projects in a space where we badly needed a strong counterpoint.

Simple as that.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 11:56:20 PM
Last edit: October 05, 2015, 08:06:19 AM by dEBRUYNE

Idk if I remember correctly, but I remember seeing a thread somewhere on here that Satoshi actually did move his coins... Is there any validity to this?

That was a bug from one of the block explorers where a fake transaction hash got injected and subsequently approved because their script was buggy. Obviously fake, since no other block explorers were showing the transcation.

@Melbustus: Regarding Satoshi's coins, I dug up a past reply of mine that perfectly suits the current scenario with his coins as well:

Monero has the advantage that, unlike with Bitcoin, you can't track the blockchain for incoming deposits at exchanges nor measure the amount of Bitcoin days destroyed. I've witnessed multiple occasions where people started dumping based on Bitcoin days destroyed.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Pages: « 1 ... 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 [468] 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: