Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:15:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 [996] 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049460 times)
chrono030

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 01:57:38 AM

Other than re-upping on Equipment...
 I just don't see any sane reason why a miner would cash his/her bitcoins in right now...
unless you are starving or something...

It actually makes quite a bit of sense to dollar cost average to a position you feel comfortable with.  most investing books say that this is the best mechanism to reduce risk and reap maximum rewards.  In our case, setting up a periodic sell order at market price for a fixed amount of USD is probably a good idea.

Related to the off topic BTC investment discussion, Tehfiend is right.  You bought a machine that produces BTC, not USD.  the fact that we are USD positive is just good luck.  We would have been better off today by buying BTC directly.  In my situation, i'll end up being BTC break even in 3 or 4 more weekstm

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tehfiend

Activity: 491
Merit: 514

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 02:03:40 AM

I just don't see any sane reason why a miner would cash his/her bitcoins in right now...

It actually makes quite a bit of sense to dollar cost average to a position you feel comfortable with.  most investing books say that this is the best mechanism to reduce risk and reap maximum rewards.  In our case, setting up a periodic sell order at market price for a fixed amount of USD is probably a good idea.

I have predetermined buy and sell benchmarks. When BTC raises to X USD I sell Y% of my BTC holdings. When BTC drops to A USD I buy BTC worth B% of my USD holdings. That way I can still ride they waves and cash in on the crashes. It's like gambling. You should never use your emotions but quit when you either A) lose a certain amount B) win a certain amount or C) gamble for a certain period of time. If you don't have a plan then your emotions will wreck you...
chrono030

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 02:13:29 AM

I have predetermined buy and sell benchmarks. When BTC raises to X USD I sell Y% of my BTC holdings. When BTC drops to A USD I buy BTC worth B% of my USD holdings. That way I can still ride they waves and cash in on the crashes. It's like gambling. You should never use your emotions but quit when you either A) lose a certain amount B) win a certain amount or C) gamble for a certain period of time. If you don't have a plan then your emotions will wreck you...

Yeah - it is absolutely like gambling.  We all know that a stock portfolio picked by darts will do about as good as an intelligent investor.  We learned that the hard way in my finance classes.  I consider all of this as a learning experience that provides great dinner/bar conversation.  Practically everyone wants to know more when i mention bitcoin, which makes all of this worth it.  ROI be damned.

On a different topic, i kind of feel like we should be giving collective high fives, given the mess that hashfast is turning out to be.
texaslabrat

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 02:15:22 AM

I'm not sure why everybody keeps talking about hindsite.

Um, well....

Yes I did and knew that I was cashing out my BTC for $7000 in USD which I was then then investing in the amount of BTC I predicted the Jupiter to make. It looks like my prediction was off because of the shipping delay and unexpected difficulty increases so I should have just held onto the BTC because my goal was to increase my BTC holdings since I predicted the BTC exchange rate would continue increasing. The fiat profit I made is a small consolation since I would have most likely made much more by NOT buying the Jupiter.

LOL, so in HINDSIGHT you have determined you should have bought BTC and not the Jupiter, right?  ROFL.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 02:33:17 AM

When ckolivas provided a link to a version of cgminer that supposedly might fix the problem of your miner just stopping, I ssh'd in and wgot it and ran it and all seemed well for a while.

But just now it stopped. The lasting thing my ssh session saw was:

Code:
[2013-11-06 02:16:30] Accepted 083a245b Diff 31/16 KnC 0Killed
                                                               @Saturn-AEB:/home/root#

It seems to be saying that something actually killed it rather than that is ran into some kind of fatal error?

If so, what would have killed it, and why?

/var/log doesn't look too helpful in figuring out what happened...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Phoenix1969
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

LIR DEV

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 02:49:20 AM

When ckolivas provided a link to a version of cgminer that supposedly might fix the problem of your miner just stopping, I ssh'd in and wgot it and ran it and all seemed well for a while.

Code:

It seems to be saying that something actually killed it rather than that is ran into some kind of fatal error?

-MarkM-

Your diff is/was set pretty low.....?
Don't know if that would prompt a crash or overload or anything, but just pointing it out...

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 02:59:10 AM

Set> Hmm it never even occurred to me that some pools do let you specify the difficulty of shares you want.

I always just ifgured the pools are adjusting it based on how fast you get solutions to them, so as to slow you down or speed you up as they think best?

I was mining mmpool, not sure if it even has a way I can tell it a specific difficulty I'd like.

-MarkM-

EDIT: Okay apparently it is cgminer that I tell my desired difficulty to, I thought it used to be some add-on code you put in the pool URL or something but apparently it is a commandline argument to cgminer. What kind of diffuclty would be better? I am have been seeing pretty good hashing speeds. Also that killed remark seems to hint it is the O/S or the web scripts or something external to cgminer that is killing me not some error inside cgminer...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 04:35:23 AM

somethings up.  I'm fighting with all my machines, someone hates me.

Loose ground wire internal of a switching supply to a laptop - might have put noise on the line causing the 2 RPi to go down and other systems to falter.  Love the 0.98 firmware.
Tehfiend

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:03:29 AM

Um, well....

Yes I did and knew that I was cashing out my BTC for $7000 in USD which I was then then investing in the amount of BTC I predicted the Jupiter to make. It looks like my prediction was off because of the shipping delay and unexpected difficulty increases so I should have just held onto the BTC because my goal was to increase my BTC holdings since I predicted the BTC exchange rate would continue increasing. The fiat profit I made is a small consolation since I would have most likely made much more by NOT buying the Jupiter.

LOL, so in HINDSIGHT you have determined you should have bought BTC and not the Jupiter, right?  ROFL.

Yes the point is that hind-site shows me that I should have invested directly in BTC (or held them in my case) instead of buying a Jupiter where many are claiming that it was NOT a bad decision simply because they didn't have the hind-site to know the future. Big difference. Well I'm done wading through the mud, can't say I didn't try Cheesy
Tehfiend

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:05:41 AM

Set> Hmm it never even occurred to me that some pools do let you specify the difficulty of shares you want.

I always just ifgured the pools are adjusting it based on how fast you get solutions to them, so as to slow you down or speed you up as they think best?

I was mining mmpool, not sure if it even has a way I can tell it a specific difficulty I'd like.

-MarkM-

EDIT: Okay apparently it is cgminer that I tell my desired difficulty to, I thought it used to be some add-on code you put in the pool URL or something but apparently it is a commandline argument to cgminer. What kind of diffuclty would be better? I am have been seeing pretty good hashing speeds. Also that killed remark seems to hint it is the O/S or the web scripts or something external to cgminer that is killing me not some error inside cgminer...

-MarkM-

From what I understand is that you can set the MINUMUM difficulty via the pools which will usually auto adjust based on your hashrate. This decreases the time to adjust to your optimal difficulty since it will not have to start at 1. That is how Eligius and BTCguild work from my experiences (although the Eligius minimum difficulty doesn't work yet).
djcoin

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:07:34 AM

https://www.kncminer.com/news/news-63

"Unbeknown to the community we are currently developing the next generation product in 20nm/16nm process with Alchip "
texaslabrat

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:12:03 AM

Um, well....

Yes the point is that hind-site shows me that I should have invested directly in BTC instead of buying a Jupiter where many are claiming that it was NOT a bad decision simply because they didn't have the hind-site to know the future. Big difference. Well I'm done wading through the mud, can't say I didn't try Cheesy

LOL I get you..I thought it was just pure comedic providence to put your two quotes together :p
Tehfiend

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:24:55 AM

Well after 5 days of nonstop stable mining my Jupiter just stopped hashing. The web interface said CGMiner was down and when SSHing in there was no screen session running. Restarting the miner via the web interface did nothing but a reboot has it back in action. Only 10 minutes of downtime but guess I still need to keep my eyes peeled for offline email warnings. Hopefully they'll eventually get it as stable as my Avalons which I have to say are 100% stable even when overclocked. Going to look at the logs when I have time tomorrow...
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 05:42:04 AM

-MarkM-

-MarkM-

Difficulty is set at the pool, not by the miner. Go to your pool's interface to change it or use a pool with a vardiff implementation. cgminer got killed likely because your device ran out of memory. There is also a --lowmem option which helps somewhat with this, but the beaglebone does have other things running consuming memory and cgminer might get targeted regardless.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 06:01:36 AM

-MarkM-

-MarkM-

Difficulty is set at the pool, not by the miner. Go to your pool's interface to change it or use a pool with a vardiff implementation. cgminer got killed likely because your device ran out of memory. There is also a --lowmem option which helps somewhat with this, but the beaglebone does have other things running consuming memory and cgminer might get targeted regardless.

Could running BurtMod be contributing to the memory issue, or does BurtMod only consume a tiny portion?

Phoenix1969
Legendary

Activity: 938

LIR DEV

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 06:14:59 AM

-MarkM-

-MarkM-

Could running BurtMod be contributing to the memory issue, or does BurtMod only consume a tiny portion?
That would be a "yes"...
Unix/Linux is also known to parallel process rather slow, when having to switch between programs, or draw on several apps at once...  I wouldn't actually blame it all on the memory without knowing more, but certainly a major factor if your diff is too low imho

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 06:22:37 AM

https://www.kncminer.com/news/news-63

"Unbeknown to the community we are currently developing the next generation product in 20nm/16nm process with Alchip "

They have time to post such news, but don't have the time to participate in their own forums and help people out on their devilish products? They aren't thinking people are going to buy from them again, do they? Is making an announcement like that just a start of mind controlling techniques in the marketing world? Also, if you tried to visit that link www.ast.com that is IN their news publication it doesn't even work.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
zoro

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 06:31:27 AM

have you tried the new 0.9.8.1 FW?
i think it is total crap, from 100GH i went to 60 Sad
and please try to talk only about KNC issues and not BTC politics in general!

"killer app" of BTC = MasterCoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=265488.0Mastercoin(A new protocol layer on top of Bitcoin)
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:13:10 AM

Code:

-MarkM-

Linux oom killer? Maybe this cgminer version is leaking memory somewhere. Try to execute the dmesg command and report here the output.

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:50:51 AM

Unix/Linux is also known to parallel process rather slow...

wow Phoenix1969. this is bold.
citation needed at least Tongue 

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
Pages: « 1 ... 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 [996] 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: