Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:47:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058401 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 10:24:04 PM

I lost track long ago of what all the different versions were trying to do.

Someone sent me what was supposedly a patch to put some images in place and it was patching a totally different directory structure than the repo it was supposed to be patching.

I use what I have on my github and sourceforge, they work, daemons have no icons anyway so I don't know or even care what icons they have, certainly not if the entire directory structure has to be changed around to no longer match the normal bitcoin and most other coin repos in order to get some different icon into place.

They might even have icons as I recall much longer ago someone just sent identically named images to what coins already use for the standard images, that merely happened to look different visually without needing any code or filename changes to use them. Though maybe that was some other coin than devcoin if it is so important that devcoin's icons be moved around to some different directory structure.

Another in-progress version was aiming at depending on some fancy custom-nameserver based seeding system requiring a custom seeder daemon / nameserver service that didn't actually exist yet, I don't know if they even yet got such a seeder daemon set up let alone a few of them for redundancy so the code I use sticks with just knowing some hostnames to try to connect to so it won't be dependent on the custom nameservice thing that we don't actually seem to have. And retains the use of IRC too.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 11:00:57 PM

I lost track long ago of what all the different versions were trying to do.

Someone sent me what was supposedly a patch to put some images in place and it was patching a totally different directory structure than the repo it was supposed to be patching.

I use what I have on my github and sourceforge, they work, daemons have no icons anyway so I don't know or even care what icons they have, certainly not if the entire directory structure has to be changed around to no longer match the normal bitcoin and most other coin repos in order to get some different icon into place.

They might even have icons as I recall much longer ago someone just sent identically named images to what coins already use for the standard images, that merely happened to look different visually without needing any code or filename changes to use them. Though maybe that was some other coin than devcoin if it is so important that devcoin's icons be moved around to some different directory structure.

Another in-progress version was aiming at depending on some fancy custom-nameserver based seeding system requiring a custom seeder daemon / nameserver service that didn't actually exist yet, I don't know if they even yet got such a seeder daemon set up let alone a few of them for redundancy so the code I use sticks with just knowing some hostnames to try to connect to so it won't be dependent on the custom nameservice thing that we don't actually seem to have. And retains the use of IRC too.

-MarkM-

Yea, this is what I found, too, when searching. It's kind of a clusterfuck...

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 11:08:09 PM

Mine might be ancient, but it is unchanged since whenever partly because it has been working 24/7, for example on dvcstable01 and dvcstable02, ever since then. And run fine on other boxes too from time to time.

Only claim I have seen of it crashing was recent hearsay from someone claiming that RealSolid had claimed it crashes.

I also had the impression RealSolid might have been hacking at it and might not have been using my working version (*) too.

So thus far I haven't really seen much need for any "fixes".

Other of course than, like all the merged mined coins, a full upgrade based on the latest I0Coin to get all the RAM-hog fixes.

-MarkM-

(*) http://sourceforge.net/projects/galacticmilieu/files/  aka  https://github.com/knotwork

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 11:22:20 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2013, 11:41:47 PM by sidhujag

Hi Guys,

Since right now the writers are being paid 90% generation I propose that we add in a bounty share funded by the generation. I thought this was the original purpose of the coin to fund developers and writing was just a result of devtome which was the result of a bounty completed by a developer? How did devtome end up hijacking the entire 90% of the coin generation? Anyways what makes sense is if there is incentive to do some bounties because that's what will bring about results. Devtome is a great project and as more people write the hope is that ad revenue will fully support the writers. Since it is on training-wheels still it needs some percentage of the coins being minted to still bring in more people to write. The original intent was that devtome would support itself and bounties would be an going process. I propose we stick to the plan and taper off the 90% of the writers earnings to something more reasonable. The bounty program is just as important if not more important to the success of the project than devtome (which is a single bounty project). Since training-wheels are still needed I propose 45% of the generation goes to writers and 45% goes to the bounty wallet (like a piggy bank) such that when it gets big enough there is enough incentive for it to be claimed to finish new projects.

I'm not sure how this was all lost and why the full generation has been going to devtome... seems like this was changed somewhere along the lines when devtome was introduced, but I propose we get back to a viable economic strategy here. Unless we want to be called devtomeCoin.

Admins/Developers need to vote yes or no and we can tally the results and publish them. Maybe with their vote they can include a short explanation for their vote.

Jag
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 11:30:07 PM

Hi Guys,

Since right now the writers are being paid 90% generation I propose that we add in a bounty share funded by the generation. I thought this was the original purpose of the coin to fund developers and writing was just a result of devtome which was the result of a bounty completed by a developer? How did devtome end up hijacking the entire 90% of the coin generation? Anyways what makes sense is if there is incentive to do some bounties because that's what will bring about results. Devtome is a great project and as more people write the hope is that ad revenue will fully support the writers. Since it is on training-wheels still it needs some percentage of the coins being minted to still bring in more people to write. The original intent was that devtome would support itself and bounties would be an going process. I propose we stick to the plan and taper off the 90% of the writers earnings to something more reasonable. The bounty program is just as important if not more important to the success of the project than devtome (which is a single bounty project). Since training-wheels are still needed I propose 45% of the generation goes to miners and 45% goes to the bounty wallet (like a piggy bank) such that when it gets big enough there is enough incentive for it to be claimed to finish new projects.

I'm not sure how this was all lost and why the full generation has been going to devtome... seems like this was changed somewhere along the lines when devtome was introduced, but I propose we get back to a viable economic strategy here. Unless we want to be called devtomeCoin.

Admins/Developers need to vote yes or no and we can tally the results and publish them. Maybe with their vote they can include a short explanation for their vote.

Jag

Maybe we could pay code by the 1k lines, and art per 1k pixels, and diversify the payout scheme.  (CodeTome.com, ArtTome.com)

I am in favor of an increased miner subsidy!  Smiley
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 11:37:08 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2013, 11:48:15 PM by sidhujag

Hi Guys,

Since right now the writers are being paid 90% generation I propose that we add in a bounty share funded by the generation. I thought this was the original purpose of the coin to fund developers and writing was just a result of devtome which was the result of a bounty completed by a developer? How did devtome end up hijacking the entire 90% of the coin generation? Anyways what makes sense is if there is incentive to do some bounties because that's what will bring about results. Devtome is a great project and as more people write the hope is that ad revenue will fully support the writers. Since it is on training-wheels still it needs some percentage of the coins being minted to still bring in more people to write. The original intent was that devtome would support itself and bounties would be an going process. I propose we stick to the plan and taper off the 90% of the writers earnings to something more reasonable. The bounty program is just as important if not more important to the success of the project than devtome (which is a single bounty project). Since training-wheels are still needed I propose 45% of the generation goes to miners and 45% goes to the bounty wallet (like a piggy bank) such that when it gets big enough there is enough incentive for it to be claimed to finish new projects.

Jag

Maybe we could pay code by the 1k lines, and art per 1k pixels, and diversify the payout scheme.  (CodeTome.com, ArtTome.com)

I am in favor of an increased miner subsidy!  Smiley
Sorry I edited it, but miners getting 10% is fine since we are merge mined we don't have a problem with the hash rate.

The proposal is to reduce the writers pay to 45% of the 90% that is going to "developers". As bounties complete the value of the coin will rise giving more incentive to write and slowly reduce the 45% to use the ad revenue that should grow and help make devtome self sufficient. There writers payout percentage should be based on a metric and should reduce as the ad revenue increases. This should not be a set 45% but a max of 45% with no ad revenue. If there is any revenue the payout percentage decreases the mining training wheels fund. As revenue from ads increases the writers earn more drawing in more writers.

The method of determining value is probably irrelevant because as the value decreases the bounty becomes less appealing. A piggy bank approach may offer a quicker way for bounties to be taken up. We would simply have to make them more visible to people through marketing ie add to workforcrypto.com and other places.. Admins should be doing this or set up a bounty to do this. Imagine a bounty set up when price was at 200 sat and paid per 1k lines but that bounty is still around today? You have to recreate that bounty to update based on todays value... why not let the piggy bank do the job for you and let the market decide what the correct value is for the bounty in terms of cost in DVC.
gondel
Legendary

Activity: 1946

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:45:45 AM

Hello,
Here it is the link of the article i have posted.
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:gondels
Am i doing it right? Please help, i really want to start writing for devcoins Smiley

No, you have pasted the actual text of your article to your user-page.

You need to set up your user-age with sections in which you will put links to your articles, the links being in the collated section or the original section.

The articles themselves go in the main part of the wiki as pages of their own.

-MarkM-

Sorry for for the question, but is this done right already or i am missing something.
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:gondels#original
Thank you!

Look at other people's user-pages for examples, like mine for example: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:knotwork

Use the edit option to see the actual wiki-code used. You made yours like an external link. You need to make it an internal link, and furthermore that needs something special, a colon I think, to make sure it points over to the main wiki instead of assuming you mean the link to stay inside only the user-pages section. You also need the text saying it is original, that the robot (script) presumably looks for on each line .

-MarkM-

Thank you again so much. I think i made it already : http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:user:gondels
I see you have pretty much articles of your own. How much did your earned for now if it is not a secret? And how much can i expect to earn for example per 1000 words? How much time a share takes? Thank you Smiley
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 12:00:52 PM

Less than $1000 for a 3D printer that prints metal: http://gigaom.com/2013/11/12/meet-the-mini-metal-maker-a-basic-sub-1000-3d-printer-that-prints-metal/

One of our goals was 3D printing metal wasn't it?

-MarkM-

gondel
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 12:57:53 PM

Markm Can you please help? Smiley
matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:14:00 PM

Less than $1000 for a 3D printer that prints metal: http://gigaom.com/2013/11/12/meet-the-mini-metal-maker-a-basic-sub-1000-3d-printer-that-prints-metal/

-MarkM-

We could have 3D printing designs paid for by Devtome.  Number of downloads of your design = number of DVC shares.
botolo86

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:49:51 PM

Hello Friends,

I am having some issues with my DVC wallet. Given that CEX recently started mining DVCs, I downloaded the DVC app for Mac and created my wallet. I tried to withdraw some DVCs from CEX, I gave them my address but I don't see the transaction and I don't see my coins in my wallet.

I also tried the DVC faucet and again, no coins and no transactions.

What could be the reason? These are the two addresses that I am using on the DVC Mac app.

1K3TJU7dT9sN2VwNDheFGHvbTGxo3MCWjh
1NAnWxsFwxzpjXL4GcAXhDSGR2HD5zZsTH
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 02:19:13 PM

Hover your mouse over the link to your article.

See that it says wiki:user ?

You need the colon in there, [[:pagename]] or something like that, to make the link point out of the user-pages section to the actual main articles section.

-MarkM-

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 02:21:17 PM

Hello Friends,

I am having some issues with my DVC wallet. Given that CEX recently started mining DVCs, I downloaded the DVC app for Mac and created my wallet. I tried to withdraw some DVCs from CEX, I gave them my address but I don't see the transaction and I don't see my coins in my wallet.

I also tried the DVC faucet and again, no coins and no transactions.

What could be the reason? These are the two addresses that I am using on the DVC Mac app.

1K3TJU7dT9sN2VwNDheFGHvbTGxo3MCWjh
1NAnWxsFwxzpjXL4GcAXhDSGR2HD5zZsTH

It is old code, even the new database the latest bitcoins etc use takes time to catch up to the blockchain.

Old code could take days to get the blockchain maybe, depending on your modem speed and the speed at which your processor can verify blocks.

Certainly it could take hours. Quite a few hours.

What block does your client say it is on? (Damn do GUI clients even tell you what block they are on? I don't use GUI clients...)

-MarkM-

gondel
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:29:47 PM

Hover your mouse over the link to your article.

See that it says wiki:user ?

You need the colon in there, [[:pagename]] or something like that, to make the link point out of the user-pages section to the actual main articles section.

-MarkM-

Thank you again for the quick answer. Smiley
botolo86

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:22:36 PM

What block does your client say it is on? (Damn do GUI clients even tell you what block they are on? I don't use GUI clients...)

This is what I see from my client:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iiyawm8h77nogdf/Screenshot%202013-11-13%2007.21.36.png
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 03:24:11 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iiyawm8h77nogdf/Screenshot%202013-11-13%2007.21.36.png

On dvcstable01, getinfo says "blocks" : 113658 so maybe you aren't quite caught up yet?

(Your image says 105341 down at the bottom... that would be a couple of months or so ago...)

-MarkM-

botolo86

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:31:09 PM

On dvcstable01, getinfo says "blocks" : 113658 so maybe you aren't quite caught up yet?

(Your image says 105341 down at the bottom... that would be a couple of months or so ago...)

Oh I see. This is due to my own misunderstanding. When I started playing with Bitcoins I downloaded both Bitcoin/QT and MultiBit (the wallet software). When I used MultiBit, any transaction would have been instantaneous, no need to download the blockchain. I assumed that this was the way the protocol worked: you download the blockchain if you want to be part of the network but transactions to your wallet will be received right away, with no need to download the blockchain.

Now I understand that if you use the main client (such as the one for Devcoins), you need to download the whole blockchain to see the recent transactions, including the ones concerning your wallet.

Thanks!
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:52:26 PM

-MarkM-

We could have 3D printing designs paid for by Devtome.  Number of downloads of your design = number of DVC shares.

Who would fund upfront cost to build?

Yea markm it was a goal so now we can buy it and
create designs.. how would we fund it when devtome takes up all the coins?
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 04:06:21 PM

-MarkM-

How does the flow of information work regarding json rpc to the daemon? You have to have wallet and daemon running and rpc connects to the wallet which goes to daemon?

Im in talks with adding dvc to a potentially very high volume exchange its new and they are setting it up but they need to be able to talk via json rpc with php to the daemon.. Im assuming its this:

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=communicating_with_devcon_wallet_using_php

Also I hope we can vote on something so we can actually start with some bounties. I spoke to Unthinkingbit and he said management of the bounties has always been a problem so we need a way to allocate people to bounties and managers and developers. Management would get say 15% of the
bounty stake.

I truly think once we get back to the initial goals we will lift off. Writers will make more than today if price is above 40 sat's
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 04:30:49 PM

The GUI is spaghetti-code-entwined into the daemon.

Thus if you use the GUI, you just tell it to also act as a server, by setting server=1 in config or --server on commandline or something like that.

The daemon you don't need to tell it to act as a server, as that is all it does, it lacks all the spaghetti-code monstrousness of the interwined GUI-code.

It would have been lovely if Satoshi had coded a GUI as a totally distinct separate thing from the actual back end, but he didn't and trying to dis-entangle them is hard enough that doubtless some folk figured he actually had to entwine them to get the GUI to work nicely since a GUI that constantly knows the exact state of the back end has certain advantages. A mess of callbacks would be needed otherwise, or a whole lot of polling, and so on.

So basically you either run the GUI version or the daemon version. To get the RPC calls when running the GUI you tell the GUI you want server mode enabled, which basically means provide what the daemon does as well as providing the GUI.

The daemon also has a mode in which it merely acts as a communications interface to talk to the resident copy of the daemon. That is maybe confusing if you are used to having a separate control program to talk to your daemons. Apparently there is even now some talk about making that separation in bitcoin, so you'd run bitcoind and it'd go resident, then use bitcoinctl or ctlbitcoind or some such to talk to it. But right now e.g. devcoind is also its own control/communications program. Probably it would equally well talk to the GUI's server mode, so if you wanted from the commandline, a script etc to ask the GUI, that is in server mode, some info you'd go "devcoind getinfo" just like you would to ask the resident daemon some info.

-MarkM-

Pages: « 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: