Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:41:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 [1109] 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 11:41:03 PM

this was one of the clearest things going on in early 2007 that caused me to put on a huge stock short in Oct 2007 starting with New Century:

http://www.housingwire.com/articles/countrywide-ceo-continues-unload-stock

nice catch. I'm picking that we could have a good night or two swapping similar stories over some bottles ...

edit: just noticed that there were still nothing in the comments after 8 years for that damning article about the countrywide CEO making off with $150 million before the company collapsed (and was bailed out?)

Problem with insider sales is since a ton of compensation these days is in the form of options/stock, it is hard to tell what selling is due to foreseeing issues in their own business vs. standard selling for portfolio diversification. Insiders always sell more than they buy because of this compensation. (Tech insiders BTW have been selling hard into this latest tech bubble.)

Another problem is insiders are often wrong. The Enron CEO did not sell, and if my memory is right he was actively buying as the stock crashed, all the way to zero. He truly believed in the model and didn't understand how/why it failed.

IMHO the Enron CEO was not a criminal, just an idiot who didn't fully understand his own business. This differs from the Countrywide CEO who knew what was wrong, and milked the system.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 11:52:52 PM

this was one of the clearest things going on in early 2007 that caused me to put on a huge stock short in Oct 2007 starting with New Century:

http://www.housingwire.com/articles/countrywide-ceo-continues-unload-stock

nice catch. I'm picking that we could have a good night or two swapping similar stories over some bottles ...

edit: just noticed that there were still nothing in the comments after 8 years for that damning article about the countrywide CEO making off with $150 million before the company collapsed (and was bailed out?)

i spotted Angelo at a charity event i was attending last year.  he's short; and tanned  Wink
rocks
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 12:14:33 AM

i'm not making the argument with tvbcof that gvt won't enforce unreasonable laws onto Bitcoin.  that probably is in Bitcoin's future.

what i'm arguing is their ability to actively taint tx's, either thru addresses or UTXO's.   that's not technically possible for them and also for those they demand to do so.  thus, their work will be cut out for them, assuming they need to actually track and enforce against those who disobey.

OK, got it.

For a modern day example, they are effectively banning the use of cash. So that everything is electronic and fully tracked in their financial system.
http://mises.org/blog/fighting-war-terror-banning-cash

In theory it should be impossible to enforce a cash ban, after all cash is similar to bitcoin it is not traceable and transactions are permanent, but in practice I am sure most businesses and individuals will voluntarily comply making the ban 99% effective.

I think what tvbcof is getting at is their ability to force major transaction points into their own system, will enable a government to effectively create a 'whitelist' bitcoin economy that is tracked an monitored. Yes, bitcoin will process coin transfers regardless of their whitelist / blacklist status, but what good is that if your employer, grocer, butcher, pizza man, electric, water & internet/phone utilities, etc. go along with the whitelist and only accept transactions from gov approved sources?

If this sounds far-fetched, well I'd challenge you to pay these firms with cash after the gov eventually forbids cash usage and demands electronic payments only. After that ban your cash would be useless, unless you can whitelist it into a bank account.

It's not technically possible to taint/track bitcoin, any more than it is not technically possible to ban cash transfers or gold transfers, yet these things can and still do happen.
79b79aa8d5047da6d3XX

Activity: 660
Merit: 101

Colletrix - Bridging the Physical and Virtual Worl

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 12:26:52 AM

If Gavin is worried about not being able to fork after the next potential burst why not apply Justus idea [1], too much coding with not enough time?
[1]https://bitcoinism.liberty.me/2015/02/09/economic-fallacies-and-the-block-size-limit-part-2-price-discovery/

Because who pays for that coding? And who can be sure that the proposal, even if completed and tested, will be adopted?

Andresen's position seems to be: (i) he takes responsibility for coding and testing a solution that as far as he can see takes care of the issue well into the future (ii) he does this with sufficient time for others to analyze it, so that, whatever else happens (iii) there is at least one safe fall-back option.

Can he guarantee his proposal is optimal? Of course not. It is just quite reassuring for it to be out.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 12:30:27 AM

If Gavin is worried about not being able to fork after the next potential burst why not apply Justus idea [1], too much coding with not enough time?
[1]https://bitcoinism.liberty.me/2015/02/09/economic-fallacies-and-the-block-size-limit-part-2-price-discovery/

Because who pays for that coding? And who can be sure that the proposal, even if completed and tested, will be adopted?

Or if adopted that it would have the desired effect.

I see it as likely collapsing into the same sort of economically-optimized-by-centralization system anyway.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 02:34:21 AM

i'm not making the argument with tvbcof that gvt won't enforce unreasonable laws onto Bitcoin.  that probably is in Bitcoin's future.

what i'm arguing is their ability to actively taint tx's, either thru addresses or UTXO's.   that's not technically possible for them and also for those they demand to do so.  thus, their work will be cut out for them, assuming they need to actually track and enforce against those who disobey.

OK, got it.

For a modern day example, they are effectively banning the use of cash. So that everything is electronic and fully tracked in their financial system.
http://mises.org/blog/fighting-war-terror-banning-cash

In theory it should be impossible to enforce a cash ban, after all cash is similar to bitcoin it is not traceable and transactions are permanent, but in practice I am sure most businesses and individuals will voluntarily comply making the ban 99% effective.

I think what tvbcof is getting at is their ability to force major transaction points into their own system, will enable a government to effectively create a 'whitelist' bitcoin economy that is tracked an monitored. Yes, bitcoin will process coin transfers regardless of their whitelist / blacklist status, but what good is that if your employer, grocer, butcher, pizza man, electric, water & internet/phone utilities, etc. go along with the whitelist and only accept transactions from gov approved sources?

If this sounds far-fetched, well I'd challenge you to pay these firms with cash after the gov eventually forbids cash usage and demands electronic payments only. After that ban your cash would be useless, unless you can whitelist it into a bank account.

It's not technically possible to taint/track bitcoin, any more than it is not technically possible to ban cash transfers or gold transfers, yet these things can and still do happen.

on balance, i think it's too late to make Bitcoin illegal or even put sharp restrictions on it here in the US.  

mainly b/c it's global and their are too many large, legitimate US investors involved already.  think NYSE, NASDAQ, multiple hedge funds, banks, VC funds, and numerous financial luminaries and Wall St folk.  just about the entire Silicon Valley wants it as fintech has been irrationally and unfairly excluded from financial innovation forever.  this is their time.  Wall St has begun to sense the inevitability and are climbing aboard.  there are plenty of overt data points and pending signs.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 03:05:23 AM

http://www.gizmag.com/cannae-reactionless-drive-space-propulsion/33210/

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 03:18:08 AM

an armada of BitSats encircling the Earth.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 03:25:33 AM

on balance, i think it's too late to make Bitcoin illegal or even put sharp restrictions on it here in the US.  

mainly b/c it's global and their are too many large, legitimate US investors involved already.  think NYSE, NASDAQ, multiple hedge funds, banks, VC funds, and numerous financial luminaries and Wall St folk.  just about the entire Silicon Valley wants it as fintech has been irrationally and unfairly excluded from financial innovation forever.  this is their time.  Wall St has begun to sense the inevitability and are climbing aboard.  there are plenty of overt data points and pending signs.

I'm sure glad that there are so few investors that are doing well with the existing fiat system otherwise they might have an interest in making sure Bitcoin did not threaten them.

'on balance', I'm pretty sure that most of these 'investors' want more than anything to see a system which will empower the plebs and give them the tools needed to break out of debt slavery and exploitation by...um...

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 03:45:19 AM

and an armada of robotic mining craft returning from the asteroid belt laden with precious metals .... sometimes the future is closer than is imaginable when the theoretical ground shifts ... other times it is father away when engineering is more difficult than imagined too.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 03:52:44 AM

and an armada of robotic mining craft returning from the asteroid belt laden with precious metals .... sometimes the future is closer than is imaginable when the theoretical ground shifts ... other times it is father away when engineering is more difficult than imagined too.

talk about robotics.  these guys are amazing.  maybe they have a future in asteroid mining:

http://geekologie.com/2013/10/boston-dynamics-humanoid-atlas-robot-tac.php
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:04:13 AM

Because everyone knows that asteroids, comets, planetoids, moons, etc are primarily composed of gold while containing significant fractions of silver, platinum, and other valuable rare-earth metals as well.  I mean, if these elements are rare here on earth they must be somewhere else instead.  Logic 101.

If I were an investor, it might occur to me that a guy cannot win for loosing here.  That is to say, if one came back with the Nostromo, Rolls-Royce N66 Cyclone thrust engines straining against the mass of all of the gold, and the promise of doing it again and again, the value of gold would likely fall dramatically thus making the investment a loser.  And if the chief warrant officer blew the ship up to try to kill an alien, the results for my bottom line would be even more discouraging.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
79b79aa8d5047da6d3XX

Activity: 660
Merit: 101

Colletrix - Bridging the Physical and Virtual Worl

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:21:03 AM
Last edit: March 24, 2015, 04:37:52 AM by 79b79aa8d5047da6d3XX

We will need precious & rare metals for industrial purposes, not to store value.

We have a different solution for that. Get on with the program, b.

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:26:16 AM

We will need precious & rare metals for industrial purposes, not to store value.

We have a different solution for that. Get on with the program, b.

Industrial purposes like what?  Niobium hyper-drive magnets?  Would not the same basic economic principles apply?

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:26:55 AM

Because everyone knows that asteroids, comets, planetoids, moons, etc are primarily composed of gold while containing significant fractions of silver, platinum, and other valuable rare-earth metals as well.  I mean, if these elements are rare here on earth they must be somewhere else instead.  Logic 101.

... you need to do some more homework instead of demonstrating your ignorance in something outside your field?

Hint: the extreme, and comparatively "unusual" press., temp. history of asteroids (orbiting a star in a vacuum) means indeed they sometimes have pure deposits (i.e. read come and pick me up pure) plat. group metals and other metals in quantities quite uncommon in the Earth's crust, everything else has boiled or sublimated away. What were you expecting Hawaiian volcanic loam? Or Texan alluvial plains? Sheesh. Troll 101.

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:35:42 AM

... you need to do some more homework instead of demonstrating your ignorance in something outside your field?

Hint: the extreme, and comparatively "unusual" press., temp. history of asteroids (orbiting a star in a vacuum) means indeed they sometimes have pure deposits (i.e. read come and pick me up pure) plat. group metals and other metals in quantities quite uncommon in the Earth's crust, everything else has boiled or sublimated away. What were you expecting Hawaiian volcanic loam? Or Texan alluvial plains? Sheesh. Troll 101.

Thanks for the field report Dr. Spock.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:42:03 AM

Because everyone knows that asteroids, comets, planetoids, moons, etc are primarily composed of gold while containing significant fractions of silver, platinum, and other valuable rare-earth metals as well.  I mean, if these elements are rare here on earth they must be somewhere else instead.  Logic 101.

Thanks for the field report Dr. Spock.

You're welcome cowpoke Earthling.  Wink

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:49:26 AM

Too soon to celebrate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/engineering/comments/2ckcb3/wishful_thinking_confirmation_bias_and_the_emdrive/

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:54:19 AM

mmm, I know but it bears some watching, the reactions are always informative and the lulz are worth it.

rocks
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 05:23:33 AM

They definitely won't make it illegal, I'm sorry if that's how what i said came across

Of course you can still use bitcoin, this is the land of the free. However, to stop money laundering and save us from terrorists, drug dealers and sex traffickers everyone has to use this government issued wallet software to transfer bitcoins, which enables tracking of all whitelist coins.

Yes bitcoin will still confirm any transaction, but if you ever transfer one of your whitelist coins from coinbase or your employer to a non-whitelist coin by using your own wallet software, you go to jail. If you own a blacklist coin and try to pay any business, they flag the transfer and you go to jail. Technically bitcoin still works and is still legal, but it has been co-opted. The above scenario also isn't that hard to implement, we already have it with banks and cash.

Yesterday it was the same with gold, they didn't outlaw gold per se, instead they said you had to transfer gold to the gov who gave you an equivalent amount of dollars that were the same as gold, that they could now track within the banks.

Today it is the same with cash, they are not outlawing cash, but any amount or transaction above a nominal amount has to be kept in electronic form in bank accounts, enabling full tracking and ownership by the government, this is today. They could easily legislate this for bitcoin.

The only thing that stops that from happening is a large enough percentage of the population saying no. It sounds that many here think there will be enough who say no, my fear is there isn't.

Also, if this is how it plays out, we'll all be rich as sin. Provided of course that we whitelist our coins and pay our due (taxes). If not, you go to jail. Given this choice I'm sure many here will choose to whitelist their coins and retire. And that is how the government continues to grow.
Pages: « 1 ... 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 [1109] 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: