Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:23:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 [534] 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
_mr_e
Legendary

Activity: 817
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 07:41:02 PM

What exactly does this "objective truth" mean?

This reminds me of conversations with my mother.  She believes that her belief system creates reality.  I believe that reality exists independently of myself (although I concede that my belief system influences my perception of reality). 

Here's an example of the objective truth:

Alice and Bob each throw a rock into the lake.  Alice throws hers in first, it makes a splash, and then Bob throws his in.  If this event occurred, then it is objectively true that Alice threw her rock into the lake first.  Even if Bob convinces the world that the opposite happened (because Bob is popular and wealthy), and even if everyone calls Alice a liar, it doesn't change what was objectively true:  Alice threw the rock into the lake first.   

PoW is a system that achieves distributed consensus on what is objectively true.  PoS is a system that allows history to be rewritten based on popular opinion. 

In both systems consensus is the objective truth... I don't see the difference.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 07:45:26 PM

A bat and a ball costs $1.10.
A bat costs a dollar more than a ball. 
How much does a ball cost?

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 07:46:39 PM

Maybe this paper prove the point, I don't know, I will read it. But what I know for sure is that what you are saying doesn't prove anything.

You are saying that somehow a miner is ontologically different than a holder, that a miner's opinion is the truth whereas a holder's opinion is an opinion. It's a very brittle argument.
_mr_e
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 07:52:46 PM

Not following how hardware mining vs stake mining answers that any differently.
Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 07:53:58 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2014, 08:12:13 PM by Peter R

If you get a certain type of people in a room, they'll come to consensus that a ball costs $0.10.  But it's objectively true that a ball costs $0.05, even if they all disagree.  The point is that what is objectively true is independent of our opinions.  

_mr_e
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 07:57:02 PM

If you get a certain type of people in a room, they'll come to consensus that a ball costs $0.10.  But it's objectively true that a ball costs $0.05, even if they all disagree.  

Sure but I don't get what that has to do with distributed consensus systems.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 08:06:25 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2014, 08:19:36 PM by cypherdoc

This reminds me of conversations with my mother.  She believes that her belief system creates reality.  I believe that reality exists independently of myself (although I concede that my belief system influences my perception of reality).  

Alice and Bob each throw a rock into the lake.  Alice throws hers in first, it makes a splash, and then Bob throws his in.  If this event occurred, then it is objectively true that Alice threw her rock into the lake first.  Even if Bob convinces the world that the opposite happened (because Bob is popular and wealthy), and even if everyone calls Alice a liar, it doesn't change what was objectively true:  Alice threw the rock into the lake first.  

PoW is a system that achieves distributed consensus on what is objectively true.  PoS is a system that allows history to be rewritten based on popular opinion.  

read the paper PeterR and Justus referenced.

the "truth" in a POW system is determined by the objective laws of thermodynamics which are fundamental laws that exist outside the POW system.  it cannot be gamed by the stakeholders.

the "truth" in a POS system is not determined by any such laws outside its own system.  it is self referencing, aka an echo chamber, of whatever the stakeholders "want" to be the truth, whether objective or not.  it can be gamed by the stakeholders, if they all agree.
Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 08:22:26 PM

If you get a certain type of people in a room, they'll come to consensus that a ball costs $0.10.  But it's objectively true that a ball costs $0.05, even if they all disagree.  The point is that what is objectively true is independent of our opinions.  

Sure but I don't get what that has to do with distributed consensus systems.

In a PoS system, there's no tether to physical reality.  There's no one in the room screaming:

"A ball costs $0.05, a bat costs a dollar more ($1.05) so a bat and a ball costs $0.05 + $1.05 = $1.10 you idiots!  You all fell victim to your cognitive bias!!"

PoS is an echo chamber like Cypherdoc said, and although consensus might be achieved, it may have no bearing on reality.  PoW is the tether to the physical world.  PoW mining is the objective guy in the room "proving mathematically" with chalk and a blackboard that a ball costs $0.05 until everyone is forced to concede!

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 08:26:13 PM

the "truth" in a POW system is determined by the objective laws of thermodynamics which are fundamental laws that exist outside the POW system.  it cannot be gamed by the stakeholders.

the "truth" in a POS system is not determined by any such laws outside its own system.  it is self referencing, aka an echo chamber, of whatever the stakeholders "want" to be the truth, whether objective or not.  it can be gamed by the stakeholders, if they all agree.
I'd add the clarification that PoW only promises that defeating the consensus process is uneconomical, not impossible.

The paper shows that PoS can't even make that promise.
_mr_e
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 08:33:25 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2014, 08:50:13 PM by _mr_e

This reminds me of conversations with my mother.  She believes that her belief system creates reality.  I believe that reality exists independently of myself (although I concede that my belief system influences my perception of reality).  

Alice and Bob each throw a rock into the lake.  Alice throws hers in first, it makes a splash, and then Bob throws his in.  If this event occurred, then it is objectively true that Alice threw her rock into the lake first.  Even if Bob convinces the world that the opposite happened (because Bob is popular and wealthy), and even if everyone calls Alice a liar, it doesn't change what was objectively true:  Alice threw the rock into the lake first.  

PoW is a system that achieves distributed consensus on what is objectively true.  PoS is a system that allows history to be rewritten based on popular opinion.  

the "truth" in a POS system is not determined by any such laws outside its own system.  it is self referencing, aka an echo chamber, of whatever the stakeholders "want" to be the truth, whether objective or not.  it can be gamed by the stakeholders, if they all agree.

But why would they all agree when doing so would destroy the integrity of their stake? As we saw recently  getting them to agree on such a change is near impossible and will only get more difficult as the system gets bigger any many forgers are companies that have their businesses built on top of the system. History can be rewritten with pow too, it happened before.

Are you saying that AI will never be possible? Because that is a self referencing system.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 08:54:14 PM

I'd add the clarification that PoW only promises that defeating the consensus process is uneconomical, not impossible.

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/bino

SHA-based PoW has shown to be "centralisable" though ...

rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 08:57:09 PM

the "truth" in a POS system is not determined by any such laws outside its own system.  it is self referencing, aka an echo chamber, of whatever the stakeholders "want" to be the truth, whether objective or not.  it can be gamed by the stakeholders, if they all agree.

But why would they all agree when doing so would destroy the integrity of their stake? As we saw recently  getting them to agree on such a change is near impossible and will only get more difficult as the system gets bigger any many forgers are companies that have their businesses built on top of the system.

Are you saying that AI will never be possible? Because that is a self referencing system.

POW is a better and more fair method of distributing new coins, but that is all.

Once bitcoin is widely distributed and the majority of block rewards comes from fees and not minting, then switching to a POS system seems fine.

Both systems are identical on how security is created, they only differ in who gets to vote. In POW votes are allocated based on how much electricity one consumes (assuming everyone has access to the same technology which will be true after ASICs settle down). In POS votes are allocated based on the number of coins held. The concepts of a voting based system are the same.

BTW bitcoin already did a rollback in March 2013, yes it was to correct a bug but the devs looked at the situation and asked miners to abandon the longest chain and build a shorter one. This is possible with POW too... Bitcoin is still based on the laws of men (not thermodynamics), its just that bitcoin aligns the interests of the "voters" in a way to create a rules based system.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 08:57:44 PM

But why would they all agree when doing so would destroy the integrity of their stake? ...

Because they could've just sold their stake. I believe the paper points that out.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
_mr_e
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:01:43 PM

But why would they all agree when doing so would destroy the integrity of their stake? ...

Because they could've just sold their stake. I believe the paper points that out.

So an entity sells their stake and then hopes that the rest of the network will agree to fork it back for them? Highly unlikely. If this fork, which would have only changed the outcome of a single known malicious transaction was unable to pass, then I can't imagine how a fork like that would ever pass.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:02:07 PM

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/bino

Yeah, I skimmed that post earlier today. First off, mining converging to industrial scale is not "centralization" in the sense that a single entity will irrevocably obtain control of the network. Also note that the author said Satoshi made a "miscalculation" about this tendency toward industrial mining, when in fact, in one of Satoshi's earliest writings he pointed out that mining would converge to be done by a relatively small number of large enterprises. People who didn't 1) foresee this themselves and/or 2) read Satoshi's early writings are one of the following: 1) stupid, 2) lazy. And now such people crying "bino" because of this "realization", when in fact they're just further behind on the thinking-things-through department than the rest of us.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:02:25 PM

PoS can make that promise.. in order to be able to rewrite history, a malicious user would have to buy well over 50% of the currency.. to do that and then fuck the system is as you say, uneconomical..

regardless, even if you are correct.. soon the roolback or reorg wont be possible.. transparent forging will soon be fully in place and when it is, you would need over 90%/95% of forging power to do a roll back or reorg and that would be virtually, or economically, impossible... or so unlikely that its enough... the same way a 51% attack is so unlikely it is enough.
[/quote]

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:04:18 PM

That word sounds scary, but what does it mean?

Is it the case that people who can afford to perform negative ROI attacks of sufficient magnitude can break a PoW system?

Yes, and Bitcoin never promised that they couldn't.

We know from math it's impossible to make a distributed consensus system that's cryptographically secure, so trying to find such a system is a pointless distraction. It's a question of how do we best use the tools we have within the confines of what is possible.
_mr_e
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:06:37 PM

Again, Vitalik has been doing a TON of research on this topic and look what he found: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6990
kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:16:23 PM

Again, Vitalik has been doing a TON of research on this topic and look what he found: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6990

is there a mirror site for bitshares.org? it wont load for me at all. wouldnt earlier ether, even the homepage.. :/

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 09:35:48 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2014, 09:53:48 PM by Peter R

... in order to be able to rewrite history, a malicious user would have to buy well over 50% of the currency.. to do that and then fuck the system is as you say, uneconomical..

... transparent forging ... would need over 90%/95% of forging power to do a roll back or reorg ...

The Nxt community was debating "rewriting history" to rollback the theft from Bter!  The users become the attackers, and in their echo chamber they decide to make up whatever truth appears convenient at the time.  If you don't see this, then you don't want to see it.  

On the topic of a single malicious cabal attacking the network, the cabal needs only 51% of what is currently staked, which may be significantly less than 51% of the money supply.  Furthermore, the cabal can attack with coins they once had but have since sold.  This is the nothing-at-stake problem (aka the history-rewrite problem).  This can be prevented with checkpoints or if the developers sign blocks as valid, but then your decentralized currency is no longer decentralized!  We saw this with the viacoin roll back.

Lastly, the idea that some special sauce known as "transparent forging" will require 90% of the critical resource to attack is a highly dubious claim.  I strongly suspect that the following PoX Theorem holds:

A malicious user controlling 51% of the critical resource X in a PoX distributed consensus system can attack the network.

Pages: « 1 ... 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 [534] 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: