Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:39:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... 843 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.1  (Read 5805147 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (3 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 1794

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 04:21:08 AM

In 2.0.7 I don't get any feedback as to if solo mining is working or not.  In version 2.0.5 I would get rejected for a status on the solo pool so I knew it was working.  Is there any way of verifying that it is actually working in the later versions?

Also it doesn't seem like the donation is working either in 2.0.7.  I haven't wiresharked it yet to see if it is actually sending to Ozco, but that would be my next step.

Thanks,
Sam
2.0.7 only shows messages at the level the source of the getwork requires.

Solo to bitcoind means you are trying to get blocks, so you get a message whenever you get a block.
(shares are not related to solo but: it used to show messages at share level, not block level, bit that has been 'fixed')

Pool means you are trying to get shares, so you get a message whenever you get a share.

I believe the donation is pointing somewhere else now.

So, is there any way to verify that solo mining is actually working now?

Is the donation not using port 8332 now?  I guess I can check that myself, but if not I'll need to set a new firewall rule.
Sam
http://arsbitcoin.com:8344

But that can change of course (as it has recently) it's not hard coded.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 12:19:47 PM

In 2.0.7 I don't get any feedback as to if solo mining is working or not.  In version 2.0.5 I would get rejected for a status on the solo pool so I knew it was working.  Is there any way of verifying that it is actually working in the later versions?

Also it doesn't seem like the donation is working either in 2.0.7.  I haven't wiresharked it yet to see if it is actually sending to Ozco, but that would be my next step.

Thanks,
Sam
2.0.7 only shows messages at the level the source of the getwork requires.

Solo to bitcoind means you are trying to get blocks, so you get a message whenever you get a block.
(shares are not related to solo but: it used to show messages at share level, not block level, bit that has been 'fixed')

Pool means you are trying to get shares, so you get a message whenever you get a share.

I believe the donation is pointing somewhere else now.

I am glad I did not upgrade then.  I want to see the rejected shares when mining solo.  it verifies that your connected properly.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
The00Dustin

Activity: 807
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 01:14:24 PM

There is an MHash/sec indicator that implies hashes are being calculated at that rate.  If something goes wrong with your mining equipment, that number wil drop.  If you Are concerned about connectivity, I would think you could simply use netstat to verify a local connection or wireshark to verify a remote one.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3577
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 01:26:02 PM

There is an MHash/sec indicator that implies hashes are being calculated at that rate.  If something goes wrong with your mining equipment, that number wil drop.  If you Are concerned about connectivity, I would think you could simply use netstat to verify a local connection or wireshark to verify a remote one.

That's what I would have thought too.

I shut down my bitcoin client, running in server mode, and CGMiner will continue to chug along as if it were still working fine.  But, at least, with 2.0.5 the rejected share notification stops.

If you run netstat while solo mining you will see a time wait for for the process's but no connection established.  So my theory is that there is an initial connection using the TCP stack but then it reverts to some other type of communication between the two programs since they are on the same machine.

Also now it looks like the donation isn't working in 2.0.5 now.  Is conman still an active account on Ozco?
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
The00Dustin

Activity: 807

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 02:25:51 PM

If you don't see anything in netstat other than the TCP Wait, I would guess there is only communication to check for new blocks and to submit a found block.  In that case, presumably a found block would be cached if communication was interrupted, but I don't know if it would be quickly discarded the way a share is.  Also, while I don't know, I would guess that something would indicate the communication problem when it became apparent to the miner (puddinpop's cuda miner will tell you communication is interrupted and continue mining and telling you it doesn't have communication).  If it does, watching for that would make more sense than keeping track of rejected shares that don't benefit the server anyway.  However, since communication isn't likely to be a miner problem, anything that might cuase a communication problem could probably be monitored elsewhere (monitor bitcoind or Internet connectivity or whatever you need for what you're doing).
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 07:21:34 PM

If you don't see anything in netstat other than the TCP Wait, I would guess there is only communication to check for new blocks and to submit a found block.  In that case, presumably a found block would be cached if communication was interrupted, but I don't know if it would be quickly discarded the way a share is.  Also, while I don't know, I would guess that something would indicate the communication problem when it became apparent to the miner (puddinpop's cuda miner will tell you communication is interrupted and continue mining and telling you it doesn't have communication).  If it does, watching for that would make more sense than keeping track of rejected shares that don't benefit the server anyway.  However, since communication isn't likely to be a miner problem, anything that might cuase a communication problem could probably be monitored elsewhere (monitor bitcoind or Internet connectivity or whatever you need for what you're doing).

who wants to go thru all that...  a quick glance at cgminer humming allong showing rejected shares is alot easier......  How about a menu option for it?

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 07:51:15 PM

who wants to go thru all that...  a quick glance at cgminer humming allong showing rejected shares is alot easier......  How about a menu option for it?

How about an explicit error message instead.  "Unable to connect to bitcond @ 192.168.0.x".  Shares don't exist for solo mining so reporting them is ambiguous at best and misleading at worse.  I agree the current implementation of "nothing" isn't ideal but going back to providing false data isn't ideal either.

Simply have the miner report solo errors w/ timestamp.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2011, 10:13:50 PM
Last edit: October 24, 2011, 10:42:31 PM by Red Emerald

I am running 2.0.7 and really liking it.  With my setup, when a worker dies it won't restart; it stays on "DEAD" forever.  If i try to quit by pressing q, it hangs and "ps" shows the process as defunct.  "kill" and "kill -9" don't seem to restart it.  If I reboot the computer while it is locked up, when I try to start cgminer again it doesn't see my GPUs and instead starts mining the CPU.  If I reboot it again it comes up working, but then the autofan and the overclocks don't work.

This is what it looks like right now after I started it after a crash

Code:
cgminer version 2.0.7 - Started: [2011-10-24 22:04:16]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 (5s):891.6 (avg):877.0 Mh/s | Q:56  A:37  R:6  HW:0  E:66%  U:8.32/m
 TQ: 2  ST: 3  SS: 1  DW: 1  NB: 3  LW: 9  GF: 1  RF: 9
 Connected to http://arsbitcoin.com:8344 with LP as user xxxx.xxxx
 Block: 000006862cdca4523deef46bf7e85089...  Started: [22:06:13]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 [P]ool management [G]PU management [S]ettings [D]isplay options [Q]uit
 GPU 0: 321.6/320.7Mh/s | A:16 R:2 HW:0 U:3.60/m I:4
 GPU 1: 321.6/316.2Mh/s | A:14 R:1 HW:0 U:3.15/m I:4
 GPU 2: 248.5/243.5Mh/s | A:7 R:4 HW:0 U:1.57/m I:4
---------------------------------------------------------

When I first ran the program, it displayed my fan RPMs and was able to change the gpu and memory clocks.  But those options are not showing.

If I open up "AMDOverdriveCtrl" I can overclock my cards and get above 1000Mh/s, but I like having everything in cgminer.  Is there some file that I need to delete or something?  I don't know how got it working again fully last time, all I did was reboot it.  What am I missing?

I expect to see something like

Code:
cgminer version 2.0.7 - Started: [2011-10-24 22:04:16]
 (5s):891.6 (avg):877.0 Mh/s | Q:56  A:37  R:6  HW:0  E:66%  U:8.32/m
 TQ: 2  ST: 3  SS: 1  DW: 1  NB: 3  LW: 9  GF: 1  RF: 9
 Connected to http://arsbitcoin.com:8344 with LP as user xxxx.xxxx
 Block: 000006862cdca4523deef46bf7e85089...  Started: [22:06:13]
 [P]ool management [G]PU management [S]ettings [D]isplay options [Q]uit
 GPU 0: 321.6/320.7Mh/s 4000RPM | A:16 R:2 HW:0 U:3.60/m I:4
 GPU 1: 321.6/316.2Mh/s | A:14 R:1 HW:0 U:3.15/m I:4
 GPU 2: 248.5/243.5Mh/s 2500RPM | A:7 R:4 HW:0 U:1.57/m I:4
---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again for this awesome program.

EDIT: Well I was able to get the fan RPMs and clocks working again.  I had to "export DISPLAY=:0" (which I also have to do for AMDOverdriveCtrl) since I am starting this from a remote ssh session and I'm not on the box.  I still don't know why the GPUs aren't detected after a crash though.

ocminer
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1240

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2011, 10:24:16 PM

Got an explanation for this ?

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8074/bildschirmfoto20111025u.png

It happens sometimes after 5, sometimes after 10 and sometimes after 15 minutes.

CGMiner sometimes "catches itself" and runs again fine for 5-10 Minutes or it crashes completely leaving the system
unstable and I have to reboot completely.

If I do not use auto-fan and auto-gpu it works fine..

(also tried with 2.0.7)

suprnova pools - reliable mining pools - #suprnova on freenet
https://www.suprnova.cc - FOLLOW us @ Twitter ! twitter.com/SuprnovaPools
kano
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 12:07:25 AM

Got an explanation for this ?

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8074/bildschirmfoto20111025u.png

It happens sometimes after 5, sometimes after 10 and sometimes after 15 minutes.

CGMiner sometimes "catches itself" and runs again fine for 5-10 Minutes or it crashes completely leaving the system
unstable and I have to reboot completely.

If I do not use auto-fan and auto-gpu it works fine..

(also tried with 2.0.7)
I guess you should also ask:
Is anyone else with a Mac getting the same problems with those versions (and who built that version you are using?)
(no I've no idea but you'll need someone with the same setup as you to be able to help you)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
ocminer
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1240

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2011, 07:09:12 AM

Oh no its not running on my mac, it is just a ssh shell to my linux box :-)

suprnova pools - reliable mining pools - #suprnova on freenet
https://www.suprnova.cc - FOLLOW us @ Twitter ! twitter.com/SuprnovaPools
ewibit
Legendary

Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 05:49:14 PM
Last edit: October 26, 2011, 08:38:27 PM by ewibit

I am running 2.0.7 and really liking it.  With my setup, when a worker dies it won't restart; it stays on "DEAD" forever.  If i try to quit by pressing q, it hangs and "ps" shows the process as defunct.  "kill" and "kill -9" don't seem to restart it.  If I reboot the computer while it is locked up, when I try to start cgminer again it doesn't see my GPUs and instead starts mining the CPU.  If I reboot it again it comes up working, but then the autofan and the overclocks don't work.

here is the same:
after a short time on the remote machine  GPU 1 is dead and  it stays on "DEAD" forever, - after q it hangs and "ps" shows the process as defunct.  "kill" and "kill -9" don't seem to work.

Code:
PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                  
2535 xxx       20   0     0    0    0 Z  100  0.0   2247:46 cgminer <defunct>
if I try to kill the process or the parent’s process with the command “kill -9 xxxx, it does not work
and with $ps -A | grep defunct nothing seems changed.

I have to hard reset the machine for new booting.

1. so is there any other way to kill the <defunct> with no need to reboot?

2. I have now upgraded this machine to Ubuntu 11.10 and cgminer now has 100% CPU usage - any hints how to change this?
(has not been with Ubuntu natty...)
TIA

kano
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 09:53:38 PM

... read the FAQ in the README ...

JL421

Activity: 812
Merit: 510

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:04:03 AM

I have a feeling this might be a windows problem, and I'll be forced to move to linux for the future, but I cannot run more than two separate instances of CGMiner...

The first two run just fine, but every subsequent one I try to open will try to start cgminer, then the miner will crash.

I have tried moving each miner into it's own file and it still didn't help the problem.

OS is Windows 7 x64.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 01:11:38 PM

I have a feeling this might be a windows problem, and I'll be forced to move to linux for the future, but I cannot run more than two separate instances of CGMiner...

The first two run just fine, but every subsequent one I try to open will try to start cgminer, then the miner will crash.

I have tried moving each miner into it's own file and it still didn't help the problem.

OS is Windows 7 x64.

Why are you running multiple instances of cgminer?  The entire reason for cgminer is to avoid the need for multiple instances.  The ability for mine 8 GPU from a single console plus manage multiple pools, fallovers, overclocking, fan speeds, etc.  Throw in monitoring of output, temps, speeds, stales, etc.

JL421

Activity: 812
Merit: 510

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 03:47:40 AM

It was something that I hadn't fully planned out, but since I found the option to load balance, I'm happy.
shads

Activity: 266
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 06:46:03 AM

I'm not sure if conman feel terribly inclined to make changes that accomodate merged mining but I've come across a serious issue that is cgminer specific so perhaps in this case he may make an exception.  If some of my assumptions here are wrong my apologies but I've observed it's behaviour and looked through the source code and I'm fairly sure I've interpreted it correctly...

The problem is summarised here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33142.msg593497#msg593497

Code:
cgminer may be a bit too clever for it's own good.  It does it's own checks on whether work is valid and I presume it uses prev_block_hash to check or maybe the X-Blocknum header.  If an NMC block is found but it isn't a BTC solution then the pseudo block number will advance but the X-Blocknum header (which is for BTC block in psj) and the prev_block_hash won't change.  So cgminer may think it's the same block and carry on using it's cached work.

and a bit more detail here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33142.msg594007#msg594007

The end result is that cgminer refuses to acknowlege that the block has changed as it doesn't accept LP as an authoritive indicator that it should discard it's local work and use the new work.  This means, particularly in the case of PPS pools, that pools are likely to penalize cgminer users by either not awarding the share at all or only giving them a partial credit.  

Depending on which policy they choose this could end up costing the miner either a significant chunk of their namecoin rewards or possibly even a large chunk of bitcoin rewards.  I'll go through the scenario and the possible effects:

pool rejects partial shares:
What happens is this:  The BTC and NMC blocks change but at slightly different times.  If the BTC block changes first cgminer get LP and acts on it as it sees a new prevblockhash.  A few seconds later the NMC block changes.  This doesn't change the prevblockhash so cgminer carries on with the work it already has.  When it submits a share the pool sees that it's only valid for one of the blockchains and rejects it as stale.  This continues for as long as cgminer would normally hold onto the same work (up to 60 seconds) or until the BTC block changes again.  In between BTC block you'd usually exepct several NMC blocks as the difficulty is lower.  Se even if cgminer has given up the work after 60 seconds, as soon as another NMC comes along the same situation occurs.  The miner is working on work that is only valid for one chain.

This is not theoretical it's really happening and it's being hugely under reported on most pools (see next para for explanation of that), I've seen it in testing and on production pools.  Overall stales are a little higher they were pre-merged mining which is partly to do with more frequent block changes and partly due to some design clashes between merged mining and longpolling.  But cgminer stales are typically many times higher than for other miners.  The 'dumb' miners (i.e. the one's just accept new work from the LP and don't check if it's a new block) work fine because they trust that the pool is right when it says 'new block'.

Many merged mining pools which aren't using poolserverj probably have this problem also but it's invisible to them.  Merged-mining-proxy does not do any sort of LP and unless the pool ops have made some fairly invasive changes to pushpool it won't be internally aware of changing block on different chains either.   I suspect they've just been accepting shares they shouldn't have.  When they all start to realise what's going on expect some policy changes from these pools.

The fix seems fairly simple on the surface but the devil is always in the details...  I think conman is not keen on blindly accepting LPs as some pools send out bullshit LPs occasionaly (even poolserverj does if the block doesn't change after 10mins).  But it needs to be an option.  Perhaps a command line switch that miners can use only if they are merged mining.  All it needs to do is replace the work it's currently hashing with the contents of the longpoll (regardless of whether prevblockhash is different) and clear it's cache.  There's no cost to doing this except perhaps a few getworks to fill up it's cache again.

PoolServerJ Home Page - High performance java mining pool engine

Quote from: Matthew N. Wright
Stop wasting the internet.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 08:19:10 AM

What needs fixing?

The only possible problem is if the pool passes back LP/block info on 2 different block-chains.

If that is the case, then your so called "fix" is to cripple cgminer - so no I can't see that happening.
From the previous page ...

It actually keeps track of the blocks on the chain it is mining ... so yeah that will stuff it up wont it ...

shads

Activity: 266
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 08:27:18 AM

yes it will... I would personally suggest that miners who want this fixed pool together and put up a bounty.  I've looked through cgminer code and I'd guess the work involved in building it is in the same order as poolserverj (i.e. months).  I enjoyed writing poolserverj but one of the least fun things about it is supporting new systems like merged-mining which you don't have any interest in.  I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have bothered supporting MM if it weren't for tempting bounties waved in front of me.

PoolServerJ Home Page - High performance java mining pool engine

Quote from: Matthew N. Wright
Stop wasting the internet.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 10:23:02 AM

The issue is that it's a case of undoing/removing the code that helps make cgminer so good at avoiding stales and keeping the stats high.
It uses that information to do that.
Disabling it is, well, as I said above, crippling it.

My personal opinion of it would be that hopefully this merged mining fad will disappear soon.
It's pointless anyway.
I still don't see why people think it's a good idea to:
1) Define Namecoins as valueless (you get them for free why pay for them?) thus why bother mining them.
2) Add extra data into the bitcoin block-chain (yeah it's tiny - 46 bytes per block, but it is still extra)
3) Tie the nameconners to the bitcoin block-chain so they can keep themselves alive - lots of people would have been mining them before if they actually wanted them ... they didn't ... ergo who gives a damn? It's keeping it alive when it should be dying (or already dead and gone)

Pages: « 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... 843 »
  Print  

Jump to: