Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:00:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 ... 231 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 521670 times)
chrisrico

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 06:21:53 AM

Hmm... Alan. I recall recently you said that a binary release for the Raspberry Pi might be in the future?

That plus this could equal a cool, cheap little Armory cold storage box...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dsattler
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:03:06 AM

I know there are some people following this thread who speak German.   I got a guy who has a lot of money stuck in Armory, and his written English is very poor.   I do not understand his situation.  Anyone knowledgeable about Armory willing to help him, or at least help translate?  I'll split any donations received with you (which may be 0 BTC, but sometimes people like this tip generously).

Let me know if you can help.  Even if you just speak german but don't know much about Armory, you can just act as a middle-man translator for our emails. 

I am a native german and using armory quite a while now. Please don't hesitate to contact me, maybe I can help you with this.

Bitcointalk member since 2013! Smiley
SimonBelmond

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 10:58:07 AM

I know there are some people following this thread who speak German.   I got a guy who has a lot of money stuck in Armory, and his written English is very poor.   I do not understand his situation.  Anyone knowledgeable about Armory willing to help him, or at least help translate?  I'll split any donations received with you (which may be 0 BTC, but sometimes people like this tip generously).

Let me know if you can help.  Even if you just speak german but don't know much about Armory, you can just act as a middle-man translator for our emails. 

I am a native german and using armory quite a while now. Please don't hesitate to contact me, maybe I can help you with this.

I am also happy to help transalte any strings into German. I love Armory and I have recently introduced it to many others who are not very confident in English but wanted to invest in Bitcoin. How will that work. Do we get a list of strings and just send you back the list of German strings?
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 07:40:08 PM

I am also happy to help transalte any strings into German. I love Armory and I have recently introduced it to many others who are not very confident in English but wanted to invest in Bitcoin. How will that work. Do we get a list of strings and just send you back the list of German strings?

Goatpig is currently working on proper unicode support, which is the first step to internationalization.  After we can handle arbitrary locales and character encodings, I'm going to prepare the app for localization ... basically just wrapping all the user-facing text with a translate function and making sure that everything can handle unicode characters (I wasn't really familiar with unicode or internationalization in general when I started Armory, so I didn't design it from the start with proper support). 

Once that's done, then we can start soliciting help creating translation files.  We won't be able to actually execute it until the new wallet files are done, which will natively support unicode (the current wallet file assumes all strings are single-byte characters... using any other encoding is going to cause widespread wallet-corruption issues, and I'm not excited about modifying the current wallets...).  But I think the new wallets will be done around the time that we actually get all the translation files in place for a few different apps.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
kerogre256

Activity: 161

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 10:31:56 PM

Armory is very unstable, (Windows 7 64 bit 4GB) anything except 89.99.14-beta crashing every time I want to send bitcoin, and what is purpose of transaction scanning and why it take so long??? I  like offline wallet but how much unstable it is  scary.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 11:12:20 PM

Kerogore,

Is Armory crashing every time you type in your password?  We have a known wallet corruption problem, but it's easy to fix if you have a backup.  If not we, can also perform a recovery of the wallet file, which is usually successful.

See the following page for more info ("Armory crashes every time I type in my password"):

https://bitcoinarmory.com/download/troubleshooting/

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 03:12:51 AM

What's the difference between creating entire transactions offline/online? The chain code could be input manually into the offline computer, along with a number determining the indexes of the deterministic addresses to be created, the online Armory will simply check if the transaction is valid and no private key will ever get onto the online computer.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2013, 03:36:52 AM

What's the difference between creating entire transactions offline/online? The chain code could be input manually into the offline computer, along with a number determining the indexes of the deterministic addresses to be created, the online Armory will simply check if the transaction is valid and no private key will ever get onto the online computer.

I'm not sure I understand your question.  The online computer already never touches the private key data.  It is created on the offline computer and stays on the offline computer.  Only the root public key is transferred to the online computer.  Even all the data moving back and forth between the two systems is totally security-insensitive -- no private key data ever touches the USB key, only signed transactions that will end up in the blockchain anyway. 

When people talk about "paper wallets", I believe they're talking about something similar to what you are describing:  the private keys are not held on the offline computer, but instead re-typed every time the offline computer is booted.

Also, when Armory upgrades to BIP 32, it will be possible to compute private key X directly.  But the current deterministic algorithm in Armory uses a real chain:  i.e. private key X depends on private key X-1.  Therefore, if you need address 132, you have to compute the first 131.  Instead, I don't even pass indices between the systems.  Armory just precomputes the first 100-1000 addresses and identifies what it is capable of signing in the supplied transaction. 

oakpacific

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 04:08:48 AM
Last edit: December 01, 2013, 04:19:21 AM by oakpacific

I'm not sure I understand your question.  The online computer already never touches the private key data.  It is created on the offline computer and stays on the offline computer.  Only the root public key is transferred to the online computer.  Even all the data moving back and forth between the two systems is totally security-insensitive -- no private key data ever touches the USB key, only signed transactions that will end up in the blockchain anyway.  

When people talk about "paper wallets", I believe they're talking about something similar to what you are describing:  the private keys are not held on the offline computer, but instead re-typed every time the offline computer is booted.

Also, when Armory upgrades to BIP 32, it will be possible to compute private key X directly.  But the current deterministic algorithm in Armory uses a real chain:  i.e. private key X depends on private key X-1.  Therefore, if you need address 132, you have to compute the first 131.  Instead, I don't even pass indices between the systems.  Armory just precomputes the first 100-1000 addresses and identifies what it is capable of signing in the supplied transaction.  

Sorry, I was talking about the scenario when a malware taking over the online computer and trying to sneak itself into a USB disk to steal the private keys on the offline computer.

Anyway what would be the obstacles for creating entire transactions offline? Smiley Along with a write-switch protected USB drive it would be possible to make sure the offline computer is never infected, as the online Armory would only validate and broadcast the transactions supplied to it.

coraz

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 09:22:14 AM

Sorry, I was talking about the scenario when a malware taking over the online computer and trying to sneak itself into a USB disk to steal the private keys on the offline computer.

Anyway what would be the obstacles for creating entire transactions offline? Smiley Along with a write-switch protected USB drive it would be possible to make sure the offline computer is never infected, as the online Armory would only validate and broadcast the transactions supplied to it.

When creating a transaction you need to know which unspent outputs to use, so knowledge of the blockchain is necessary.

Well, if you are extremely paranoid, you can avoid using USB sticks: simply print the unsigned-tx file and manually type it into the offline PC. Do the same with the signed-tx file to transfer it to the online PC for broadcasting.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 09:26:49 AM

Do the same with the signed-tx file to transfer it to the online PC for broadcasting.
That's overkill. To move offline->online burn the transaction to a mini-CDR and discard the disc after broadcasting.
oakpacific

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 09:42:55 AM

When creating a transaction you need to know which unspent outputs to use, so knowledge of the blockchain is necessary.

Well, if you are extremely paranoid, you can avoid using USB sticks: simply print the unsigned-tx file and manually type it into the offline PC. Do the same with the signed-tx file to transfer it to the online PC for broadcasting.

When I move my transaction back to the online machine, Armory can check if all the outputs are unspent, if I did something wrong then we are back to square one.

Also I don't think UTXOs alone are really much information, they should well fit into a sheet of paper using the same format of codes used for paper wallet backup, but etotheipi mentioned somewhere that a transaction could be as large as 1 MB and off the limit of even static QR code, so I am also curious what could make it so big, lots of dust outputs?

coraz

Activity: 26

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 11:31:42 AM

When I move my transaction back to the online machine, Armory can check if all the outputs are unspent, if I did something wrong then we are back to square one.

No, it won't work that way. To create a transaction you need to know which outputs to use and the offline machine doesn't know about any outputs at all.

E.g. let's say you have a new address and today (Dec 1, 2013) you received 1 BTC to this address. In order to spend this 1 BTC you will need to refer to the 32-byte hash of that Dec 1, 2013 transaction. Knowing only the address is not enough.

Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 08:12:41 AM

I hope this is resolved by now? If not, native German speaker here, using Armory for a good while (on linux).

Ente
jingos

Activity: 23

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 10:09:19 AM

Was on 0.88 and I upgraded Debian from Squeeze to Wheezy and it broke Armory's icons and splash screen. Installing 0.90 fixed the icons but the splash is screen is still just a black square.
kerogre256

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:10:40 PM

Kerogore,

Is Armory crashing every time you type in your password?  We have a known wallet corruption problem, but it's easy to fix if you have a backup.  If not we, can also perform a recovery of the wallet file, which is usually successful.

See the following page for more info ("Armory crashes every time I type in my password"):

I installed 90.-beta version and encrypted wallet, after that was not able send any bitcoin armory client crash, I unencrypted wallet and try it again, 90.-beta crash again, i re-installed version 89.14-beta was able send bitcoin, I encrypted wallet again and after thad armory crash (89.14-beta) when I try send bitcoin, I unencrypted wallet and now was able send it again, I dont know what to do now. Can wallet by corrupted to the point then i will not able recovery private key or print copy of offline wallet ?
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:50:30 PM

Kerogore,

I installed 90.-beta version and encrypted wallet, after that was not able send any bitcoin armory client crash, I unencrypted wallet and try it again, 90.-beta crash again, i re-installed version 89.14-beta was able send bitcoin, I encrypted wallet again and after thad armory crash (89.14-beta) when I try send bitcoin, I unencrypted wallet and now was able send it again, I dont know what to do now. Can wallet by corrupted to the point then i will not able recovery private key or print copy of offline wallet ?

Was Armory crashing (as in closes on its own) or hanging (stopped responding but didn't close itself)? If you can access your wallet I strongly suggest you create a paper backup for now. You can then write down your experience (with as much details as possible) to contact@bitcoinarmory.com

kerogre256

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:07:09 PM

Kerogore,

Was Armory crashing (as in closes on its own) or hanging (stopped responding but didn't close itself)? If you can access your wallet I strongly suggest you create a paper backup for now. You can then write down your experience (with as much details as possible) to contact@bitcoinarmory.com
It "stopped responding but didn't close itself" windows notification(Application is not responding Close/Wait I did close) I notice also transaction scanig behave strange, sometime it start scan transaction show 1% scaned jump to 99% back to 1% and again 99% and then 100% and its take only 1-2 minutes oposit to assume "normal" scanig abaut 10min.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:20:32 PM

It's possible you ran into a n² computation issue rather than actual corruption. If it happens next time, give it 30 minutes and see if it completes.

As for the scanning, how many wallets do you use at the same time and do you use imported private keys? These could be the cause of the multiple transaction scans.

kerogre256

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:19:11 PM

It's possible you ran into a n² computation issue rather than actual corruption. If it happens next time, give it 30 minutes and see if it completes.

As for the scanning, how many wallets do you use at the same time and do you use imported private keys? These could be the cause of the multiple transaction scans.

I have only 2 wallets, keys were not imported.
Pages: « 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 ... 231 »
  Print  

Jump to: