Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:47:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 ... 231 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 521677 times)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 10:52:55 PM

I installed the latest beta and this client still seems to be a resource hungry monster for some reason. After hours and hours of syncing with the blockchain I was able to finally see my wallet. I run all my bitcoin associated programs in a VM, so I can't allocate so many resources just for one program. Once I start and run Armory the VM slows to a crawl and I get a lot of "not responding" windows and have to wait for the program to catch up. Is this normal the latest beta? I thought that's what was going to be fixed in the new release?

The first-time startup uses about 1 GB of RAM while building the databases, and might take a 1-3 hours after bitcoin-qt finishes synchronizing.  After that process is done, it will all be much smoother.  Starting up should only require Bitcoin-Qt sync'ing, but it will load all the histories from the DB to avoid rescanning (unless you unclean-shutdown).  I also plan to make that 1 GB configurable in the future.

Feel free to send us a log file, to support@bitcoinarmory.com.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
arnuschky

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 10:54:29 PM

Hey,

this has been asked before, but I had troubles finding a recent answer: can I use Armory and the standard bitcoind wallet in parallel? I still  use bitcoind via rpc for some scripts, and even though I would use Armory for my personal wallet, I would need to keep the script functionality. I imagine that the two wallets do not clash at all, ie, are completely separate?
yes you can, bitcoin{d,-qt} is only needed to communicate with the network and get/validate the blockchain.

More specifically, you can go into the settings for Armory, and disable "Let Armory manage Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind in the background".  Then Armory will expect you to run Bitcoin-Qt or bitcoind manually, and that it will be open and synchronized when you start Armory.

Thanks. I found the setting, and while it worked fine on my desktop it didn't work on my laptop. Adding listen=1 to bitcoind solved also that issue.

Looking forward to armoryd!
arousedrhino

Activity: 347
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 01:55:41 AM
Last edit: December 18, 2013, 02:21:01 AM by arousedrhino

I can't seem to send from Armory anymore. The transaction just keeps failing to make it into the block chain. I've had this happen before but not repeatedly. Any ideas? The transaction is for .104 BTC. I have tried fees of .0009 and .001 and it always fails. I'd rather not post the logs publicly.

It just keeps saying: "The transaction that you just executed, does not appear to have been accepted by the Bitcoin network. This can happen for a variety of reasons, but it is usually due to a bug in the Armory software.

On some occasions the transaction actually did succeed and this message is the bug itself! To confirm whether the the transaction actually succeeded, you can try this direct link to blockchain.info:

http://blockchain.info/search/xxxxx....

If you do not see the transaction on that webpage within one minute, it failed and you should attempt to re-send it. If it does show up, then you do not need to do anything else -- it will show up in Armory as soon as it receives 1 confirmation.

If the transaction did fail, please consider reporting this error the the Armory developers. From the main window, go to "File"-->"Export Log File" to make a copy of your log file to send via email to alan.reiner@gmail.com. "

Im on a mac osx 10.8 running 0.88.1-beta with bitcoind 0.8.3 running.
chrisrico

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 03:42:47 AM

If the transaction did fail, please consider reporting this error the the Armory developers. From the main window, go to "File"-->"Export Log File" to make a copy of your log file to send via email to alan.reiner@gmail.com. "

Did you do that?

I bet the transaction has a lot of small outputs, which means you'd need to pay a larger fee. The fee is 0.0001 BTC per kilobyte, not per transaction.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 03:59:17 PM

On an unrelated note, please try the new OSX build!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bitcoinarmory-releases/Armory_0.90-beta_OSX_test1.tar.gz

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
arousedrhino

Activity: 347

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:55:21 AM

Did you do that?

I bet the transaction has a lot of small outputs, which means you'd need to pay a larger fee. The fee is 0.0001 BTC per kilobyte, not per transaction.

I actually did and he helpfully linked me to the .90 post. I was using a fee of .0009 so I doubt that was the issue. I actually think the issue was with my routers DNS settings. It lost its VPN connection and then the DNS could not resolve which I think they caused the transaction to fail. I got my DNS and VPN back and all setup and its working now on .88.

Thanks for the help. I'm updating to .90 today.
e4xit

Activity: 302

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:46:38 AM

I have had a few "not responding" errors which required force closing so far :/ Not imported or created a wallet yet either which is not terribly confidence-inspiring...

How do I run this .app with debug flags (I knew how to do that on Ubuntu from terminal but this app on OSX I am not sure how to set those flags as I run it) then I can perhaps upload some logs... I think it is somethign to do with applescripts, but Im pretty new to OSX.

It did sync overnight no problem (not sure how long it took though).

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 06:35:58 PM

I have had a few "not responding" errors which required force closing so far :/ Not imported or created a wallet yet either which is not terribly confidence-inspiring...

How do I run this .app with debug flags (I knew how to do that on Ubuntu from terminal but this app on OSX I am not sure how to set those flags as I run it) then I can perhaps upload some logs... I think it is somethign to do with applescripts, but Im pretty new to OSX.

It should automatically put the logfile in your armory directory.  There is also a menu item to export the logfile in the armory app itself.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2013, 06:40:18 PM

Flags don't work on OSX, it is a python problem or something.

Yeah, unfortunately, we're still not quite sure how to do the CLI thing... may have to add an armory.conf, which should probably be added anyway.  Doesn't help with changing --datadir, but helps with everything else. 

This build is really more for testing... we will clean up those rough edges when we determine that it's usable.  So far, it seems the jury is still out on that one...

omegaflare

Activity: 331

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 04:06:35 AM

Guys,

I am using Armory as my main bitcoin wallet. However, I keep seeing [[change received]] with this associated bitcoin address. Do I use this address to receive bitcoin, still? This is why it's confusing. It's irrelevant to show "[[change received]]" in my wallet, just my bitcoin address. I hope you can fix this on the next version. Thanks!

SimonBelmond

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:05:42 AM

Guys,

I am using Armory as my main bitcoin wallet. However, I keep seeing [[change received]] with this associated bitcoin address. Do I use this address to receive bitcoin, still? This is why it's confusing. It's irrelevant to show "[[change received]]" in my wallet, just my bitcoin address. I hope you can fix this on the next version. Thanks!

I guess its a feature not a bug. You receive change to other addresses then the input addresses. This is good. I have not looked fully into this but receiving change onto another address then the input addresses somehow protects your privacy plus you would even be safe if quantum computer would exist as you could easily never use the same address twice. I am not sure if you can configure if armory receives change to the same address or to a new address which will be labeled [[change received]]. What you can do, however, is use coin control in expert mode so you can set everything manually. Please make sure you don't end up being the guy who pays 200 BTC transaction fees because of a number entered in the wrong field.
omegaflare

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:09:27 AM

Guys,

I guess its a feature not a bug. You receive change to other addresses then the input addresses. This is good. I have not looked fully into this but receiving change onto another address then the input addresses somehow protects your privacy plus you would even be safe if quantum computer would exist as you could easily never use the same address twice. I am not sure if you can configure if armory receives change to the same address or to a new address which will be labeled [[change received]]. What you can do, however, is use coin control in expert mode so you can set everything manually. Please make sure you don't end up being the guy who pays 200 BTC transaction fees because of a number entered in the wrong field.

For real? Did someone pay 200 BTC in transaction fee?! LOL! SO FUNNY! Anyways, that's besides the point. The question is: can I still receive money with [[change received]] address? I just want to make sure.

Another thing you can do: check "hide change" and that will hide all of the associated bitcoin address with [[change received]] address. It's a nice feature to have, so perhaps I overlooked this feature. You're right, it's not a bug; thanks for clearing this up. Kudos.

coraz

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:23:18 AM

The question is: can I still receive money with [[change received]] address? I just want to make sure.

Yes. "[[change received]]" is just a label. Internally, this address is no different from your other addresses.

Have been using this for a couple of days with a watch-only wallet. Works pretty well. Only had an error once (iirc it was after clicking the "copy to clipboard" button in the "receive bitcoins" window)
Code:
./Downloads/Armory.app/Contents/MacOS/Armory: line 16:  3551 Segmentation fault: 11  $DIRNAME/Python $ARMORYDIR/ArmoryQt.py
omegaflare

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:56:25 AM

The question is: can I still receive money with [[change received]] address? I just want to make sure.

Yes. "[[change received]]" is just a label. Internally, this address is no different from your other addresses.

Have been using this for a couple of days with a watch-only wallet. Works pretty well. Only had an error once (iirc it was after clicking the "copy to clipboard" button in the "receive bitcoins" window)
Code:
./Downloads/Armory.app/Contents/MacOS/Armory: line 16:  3551 Segmentation fault: 11  $DIRNAME/Python $ARMORYDIR/ArmoryQt.py

Thanks!

matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 04:40:31 PM

matt608: make sure you're running ubuntu 10.04 or 12.04, then grab our offline package off our site and follow the instructions. They're quite simple and you shouldnt have too much trouble setting it up. If you have issues, let us know at support@bitcoinarmory.com

Thanks but how do I install anything on the offline computer if I can't connect it to the internet and if when I plug my external HD into it (having downloaded the armoury software onto it) nothing happens?  I also don't know how to change the operating system from Linux to Ubuntu. 

Earlier in this thread someone reccomended this computer to use as an offline wallet, they said it comes with the right operating system, linux:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001IBHVCA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I bought it.  But apparently there are different types of linux and so it doesn't work...

Do I download ubuntu from here?
http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/

If so, which download do I want?

And then, how to I install it onto the offline computer?

Thank you.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 04:50:35 PM

Type the source code like the pgp olden days

LvM

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 08:42:42 PM

"...you'd need to pay a larger fee. The fee is 0.0001 BTC per kilobyte, not per transaction."

How do you know that?
Where is the legal source and base for your statement?

Unilaterally enforced transaction fees are illegal.
The miners are payed by selling the coins they created.

So, who gets these ARBITRARILY enforced tx fees?
Oha, the "community"?
Who/what is that? NAMES please!

How much fees will this ghost enforce tomorrow?
Looks like it becomes criminal.

LvM

BTC violates GAAP, result a MESS  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=211835.0
Anforderungen an eine PROFESSIONELLE BTC-Anwendung https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=189669
BANKGEHEIMNIS mit BTC gleich NULL!? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=188383 Antwort: Ja, wenn man nicht höllisch aufpaßt.
LvM

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 08:44:46 PM

My Armory 0.88.1 tries to ENFORCE for a transfer of 0.0001 a fee of 0.0005

5x the transaction value.

If we accept this arbitrariness of the club hidden behind the BTC-ghost "community"
next it will swallow all our bitcoins.   Cry Cry
Just as it likes.  Grin

LvM

BTC violates GAAP, result a MESS  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=211835.0
Anforderungen an eine PROFESSIONELLE BTC-Anwendung https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=189669
BANKGEHEIMNIS mit BTC gleich NULL!? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=188383 Antwort: Ja, wenn man nicht höllisch aufpaßt.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 04:57:57 AM

Thanks but how do I install anything on the offline computer if I can't connect it to the internet and if when I plug my external HD into it (having downloaded the armoury software onto it) nothing happens?  I also don't know how to change the operating system from Linux to Ubuntu. 

Earlier in this thread someone reccomended this computer to use as an offline wallet, they said it comes with the right operating system, linux:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001IBHVCA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I bought it.  But apparently there are different types of linux and so it doesn't work...

Do I download ubuntu from here?
http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/

If so, which download do I want?

And then, how to I install it onto the offline computer?

Thank you.

The offline bundles support Ubuntu 10.04, 12.04 and 13.10. The offline bundles come with the necessary packages to run Armory on a pristine Ubuntu install for these version. There are quite a lot of Linux distributions on the market, so just saying "comes with Linux installed" isn't enough to identify the specifics of the operating system your hardware is running.

As for the installation steps: Grab the version of Ubuntu you want (I'd suggest 13.10, the link you posted is for 10.04, which is fine), burn the ISO to a DVD and install away. Then grab Armory's offline package, extract it, browse to that folder and run: sudo dpkg -i ./*

This will get Armory and all its required packages installed. As for moving the offline bundle to your offline computer, either use a usb key or burn it on the DVD into another session, you should have enough room left.

LvM: The fees enforced in 0.88.1 were hardcoded based on the calculation mechanics used by the Bitcoin network at the time it was released. Those mechanics were updated since then, and newer versions of Armory comply to those. You can either update your version, or modify the code in your older version.

As for how the fees are decided, this discussion does not belong to the Armory sub forum, nor does the Armory team have power over such matters. If you have complaints, take them up to the core team.

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:05:36 AM

For real? Did someone pay 200 BTC in transaction fee?! LOL! SO FUNNY! Anyways, that's besides the point. The question is: can I still receive money with [[change received]] address? I just want to make sure.

Another thing you can do: check "hide change" and that will hide all of the associated bitcoin address with [[change received]] address. It's a nice feature to have, so perhaps I overlooked this feature. You're right, it's not a bug; thanks for clearing this up. Kudos.

[[change received]] labels an address as having being used for change. The address is of course still valid, as it holds your change. the Bitcoin protocol strongly recommends to not reuse addresses, mainly to protect your privacy. So, as default, Armory picks a new address in your wallet every time it needs to send you back change. The corollary is that Armory will not pick that address again for change, and it will mark it as such, so that you may abide to that recommendation.

Of course this remains a recommendation. Addresses marked as change do not have their mechanics altered in any way, and you can use them to receive other payments at your leisure. It simply is considered bad practice, and Armory makes a point of offering you the opportunity to use the recommended way as described in Satoshi's white paper.

Pages: « 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 ... 231 »
  Print  

Jump to: