Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:28:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 [602] 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 08:14:29 PM

I'm impressed with the number of pos guys following this thread.  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
_mr_e
Legendary

Activity: 817
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 08:16:59 PM

I'm impressed with the number of pos guys following this thread.  Wink

Why does it have to be us vs them? Why must the crypto space be so divided? I am not a "pos guy". I simply see some value and utility in a well designed system and want to share that with others, just as I do with bitcoin.

Fiat is the enemy here.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 08:17:16 PM

Piece of Shit coins?

This wasn't was not me, notme!
Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 08:18:21 PM

I'm impressed with the number of pos guys following this thread.  Wink

Piece of Shit coins?

This wasn't me, notme!

lol.

Likewise, I don't consider myself a PoS guy.
Don't see the need to take those kinds of positions.
If a technology fills a need, that's good.

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 08:20:13 PM

Guess what?  It was a question.

It is notable when asking questions leading to paranoia and accusations rather than specific answers.

Sorry, but that is just a cop-out answer.

You asked a question that you could have quite easily have answered yourself.

The hashes are always posted on the nxt forum: https://nxtforum.org/nrs-releases/nrs-v1-2-8/ ánd in the Nxt thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=587007.msg8672358#msg8672358

No.  Those hashes prove nothing.

A deterministic build process enables multiple independent parties to generate the exact same output, given a git commit id.

If you cannot prove what's in users hands is exactly what came out from the java->bytecode compiler, then you should not use that binary.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 08:33:50 PM

Why does it have to be us vs them? Why must the crypto space be so divided? I am not a "pos guy". I simply see some value and utility in a well designed system and want to share that with others, just as I do with bitcoin.

Fiat is the enemy here.

Because if another coin even gets close (same order of mag) to bitcoin in terms of market cap, it seriously erodes the "scarcity" feature/argument of bitcoin, which is one of the most critical arguments for putting any wealth/mindshare/time/effort into bitcoin (and by extension, any crypto). Guys like Schiff and Rickards would be proven right, and no one would be comfortable putting any wealth into any crypto for a long long time. Thus, everyone would lose. Humanity would not see the benefits that decentralized money can bring for many years/decades longer than if bitcoin simply becomes the obvious-to-everyone non-dethronable crypto store of value.

To be clear, I think there's niche value in some alts, and some of the experimentation is valuable. But you guys who think that many coins can live side by side with similar monetizations are missing the key point that if that happened, we'd all be sitting side-by-side at *trivial* market-caps, not big ones.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 08:39:44 PM

from the Boston Fed:  

Second, the resource cost of mining is becoming increasingly unaffordable, not to mention the inefficiency associated with this aspect of the system design. Again, it is possible that within a few years it will become infeasible to rely on this distributed model, however consolidated, to verify transactions.

if it's so unaffordable, then why does it keep doing this?:

https://i.imgur.com/qyS2BPn.png

Why can no one understand that we don't need this hashing power to secure this network?  I doubt we need 1% of what we have today, given the impact destroying it would have.  Obviously a major govt could (at great cost) 51% it.  But most governments that have the means are ultimately responsible to the people and killing BTC by 51% attack is not the legal approach they would take (as opposed to a ban).  Therefore hashing only needs to secure against a private enterprise.  When you realize that 51%ing does not allow you to steal other people's coin -- it only can be used to stop them from spending, to reap all the mining rewards and to double spend, you quickly realize that economically this is a losing proposition.

it's not "no one understands that..." the increase in hashing power is a byproduct or a reflection or a value judgment, its quite elegant the way it increases so smoothly - more to the point is, where is it best for me to invest my excess resources, and it turns out lots of people see the system of Bitcoin a viable place to invest. The exponential halving forces competition and ultimately drives out any inefficient use of hashing power.

for all those non believers there is PoS and Fiat.  

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 08:46:56 PM

Fiat is the enemy here.

Because if another coin even gets close (same order of mag) to bitcoin in terms of market cap, it seriously erodes the "scarcity" feature/argument of bitcoin, which is one of the most critical arguments for putting any wealth/mindshare/time/effort into bitcoin (and by extension, any crypto). Guys like Schiff and Rickards would be proven right, and no one would be comfortable putting any wealth into any crypto for a long long time. Thus, everyone would lose. Humanity would not see the benefits that decentralized money can bring for many years/decades longer than if bitcoin simply becomes the obvious-to-everyone non-dethronable crypto store of value.

To be clear, I think there's niche value in some alts, and some of the experimentation is valuable. But you guys who think that many coins can live side by side with similar monetizations are missing the key point that if that happened, we'd all be sitting side-by-side at *trivial* market-caps, not big ones.

Just like fiat must contend with distributed crypto-currencies, distributed (or not) crypto-currencies must contend with one another.  Fair is fair.  Each will rise and fall on it's strengths, the the strengths and weaknesses come from all different directions.  That is to say, technical and otherwise, and I'll go out on a limb and say that technical strengths and weaknesses will be minor compared to political ones.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 08:56:57 PM

Fiat is the enemy here.

Just like fiat must contend with distributed crypto-currencies, distributed (or not) crypto-currencies must contend with one another.  Fair is fair.  Each will rise and fall on it's strengths, the the strengths and weaknesses come from all different directions.  That is to say, technical and otherwise, and I'll go out on a limb and say that technical strengths and weaknesses will be minor compared to political ones.

I think it's way more profound, Bitcoin is a once in 5,000 year paradigm shifting innovation, Alt's are an insignificant incremental improvement. cripto's from my viewpoint are the equivalent of painting a line in down the middle of the road, and saying this new innovation supersedes the road network. there will be metaphoric competition like rail roads and air ports, but the most valuable network will be Bitcoin.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:03:29 PM

Fiat is the enemy here.

I think it's way more profound, Bitcoin is a once in 5,000 year paradigm shifting innovation, Alt's are an insignificant incremental improvement. cripto's from my viewpoint are the equivalent of painting a line in down the middle of the road, and saying this new innovation supersedes the road network. there will be metaphoric competition like rail roads and air ports, but the most valuable network will be Bitcoin.

yes, which is to also say, "most investors in the cryptocurrency space will lose money" from a lack of understanding of the economics, technical innovations, and political circumstances surrounding Bitcoin.

and that, ladies and gentlemen, is why it is still early days for Bitcoin.
_mr_e
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:03:53 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2014, 09:19:19 PM by _mr_e

Fiat is the enemy here.

I have no interest in trying to dethrone Bitcoin. It's is crypto's store of value. That is it's job. It provides the backing everything else that comes after it. Bitcoin goes up, everything goes up. Bitcoin goes down, everything goes down - because they are directly tied to Bitcoin. Bitcoin is your entry into cryptoland. From there you are free to do as you wish with any system you wish, free of regulation and red tape and slow processes and filled with CHOICE! This is what crypto gives us: CHOICE and FREEDOM to do what we want with our money. Bitcoin is our direct gateway into that and does it exceptionally well.

Any coin that is a direct fork of bitcoin is not worth a second glance due to the reasons you mention above. However I believe that like Nxt, Maidsafe, Storj etc are NOT coins. They provide innovative value that is completely separate from it being a currency. They are token that exist on a system that provides other functions - and guess what, their value ARE MEASURED IN BITCOINS and is therefore in direct relation to the utility they provide crypto as a whole!  The use of these systems should bring more value to crypto and therefore Bitcoin itself. Of course because they have value they can be traded LIKE a currency and will speculated on but that is not their primary goal. That is Bitcoin's job and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. Bitcoin's value is not and should not be threatened by this and if it is, then it would be because it is not doing it's job very well.
Eadeqa

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:14:47 PM

No.  Those hashes prove nothing. A deterministic build process enables multiple independent parties to generate the exact same output, given a git commit id.
If you cannot prove what's in users hands is exactly what came out from the java->bytecode compiler, then you should not use that binary.

Funny logic. Do all million or so BTC users compile from the source before using it? I guess we should not even be using any online site, like coinbase, as we don't have source. All Windows users should never use BTC either as BTC is only for people who compile from the source.

What's your point anyway? Nxt is open source. Anyone can compile it. Given it's in Java, anyone can even decompile it. We have dozens of clones.

You have not made your point clear. Are you trying to claim Nxt security relies on obscurity? If that is the claim, that is provable false as you can decompile Java and steal Nxt. Given that isn't hapening, what are you trying to claim?

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
valarmg

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:15:13 PM

Interesting viewpoint, but I don't believe it to be true. Does silver as a store of wealth erode the value of gold being a store of wealth? What about platinum? There are hundreds of altcoins, some of which are worth tens of millions, some of which are worth nothing. The value of one doesn't affect the value of others to a huge degree. Bitcoin's value is based on the network effect, if another coin gained a huge market share they'd both have value based on their usage and their users. One doesn't degrade the other. Not every coin can have a huge network effect, therefore what you are talking about where there'll be thousands of equally valueless cryptocoins will never happen.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:17:17 PM

Fiat is the enemy here.

It appears that all of my posts stating the Nxt is not a "coin" have gone ignored. Not sure what is the point in refuting the same arguments over and over.

I have no interest in trying to dethrone Bitcoin. It's is crypto's store of value. That is it's job. It provides the backing everything else that comes after it. Bitcoin goes up, everything goes up. Bitcoin goes down, everything goes down - because they are directly tied to Bitcoin. Bitcoin is your entry into cryptoland. From there you are free to do as you wish with any system you wish, free of regulation and red tape and slow processes and filled with CHOICE! This is what crypto gives us: CHOICE and FREEDOM to do what we want with our money. Bitcoin is our direct gateway into that and does it exceptionally well.

Any coin that is a direct fork of bitcoin is not worth a second glance due to the reasons you mention above. However I believe that like Nxt, Maidsafe, Storj etc are NOT coins. They provide innovative value that is completely separate from it being a currency. They are token that exist on a system that provides other functions - and guess what, their value ARE MEASURED IN BITCOINS and is therefore in direct relation to the utility they provide crypto as a whole!  The use of these systems should bring more value to crypto and therefore Bitcoin itself. Of course because they have value they can be traded LIKE a currency and will speculated on but that is not their primary goal. That is Bitcoin's job and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. Bitcoin's value is not and should not be threatened by this and if it is, then it would be because it is not doing it's job very well.

well, i'll agree with you there.  all these Bitcoin 2.0 projects involve "tokens", which unlike you say, are fundamental to the success of the underlying platforms.  otherwise, how could you trade a token that is worthless for storage space?  tokens have to have some value to do this. 

the problem though is that those tokens will inevitably trend to 0 value.  they are like United Flyer miles.  i can't tell you how many times those miles have been devalued or outright cancelled due to non use.  for the Bitcoin 2.0 projects, which have specific uses, it will behoove cryptocurrency users to hold their BTC over time until they have the need for these specific use cases.  this is b/c of the fixed supply nature of Bitcoin and its real world relationship to ever increasing fiat currency.  in other words, BTC should increase in value over time as one holds them instead of tokens.  this encourages market participants to hold their BTC until such time as they "need" to use them.  the converse is that the value of tokens on other platforms should trend to 0.
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:28:14 PM

If scarcity is the only argument you can present, well, that's a weak position. And why does anyone have to prove anything to Peter Schiff? He's in his zone of comfort, no reason to persuade him of anything.

Trivial market caps or big ones, as long as the total market cap of all cryptos grows, that means cryptos perform their function of giving shelter from the fiat system. If you thought you could comfortably stay in Bitcoin and other people would be happy to get a few crumbs from the early adopters' table, well, you thought wrong. Bitcoin is just software. In software world if you can develop better software there is a high chance you can beat the old one. People will always be trying to compete and be the first, that's human nature, and that's how all better things are born.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:33:05 PM

If scarcity is the only argument you can present, well, that's a weak position. And why does anyone have to prove anything to Peter Schiff? He's in his zone of comfort, no reason to persuade him of anything.

Trivial market caps or big ones, as long as the total market cap of all cryptos grows, that means cryptos perform their function of giving shelter from the fiat system. If you thought you could comfortably stay in Bitcoin and other people would be happy to get a few crumbs from the early adopters' table, well, you thought wrong. Bitcoin is just software. In software world if you can develop better software there is a high chance you can beat the old one. People will always be trying to compete and be the first, that's human nature, and that's how all better things are born.

take a stab at my post 2 above yours.  

ppl will always want to stay in the most liquid store of value which in this case is Bitcoin b/c of its fixed supply and market cap.  only when they need to trade it for a token will they do so.  and only for a specific purpose.  the underlying platform's purpose can have value, it's just that its tokens will trend to 0 from lack of liquidity and limited demand.
_mr_e
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:35:10 PM

Fiat is the enemy here.

It appears that all of my posts stating the Nxt is not a "coin" have gone ignored. Not sure what is the point in refuting the same arguments over and over.

well, i'll agree with you there.  all these Bitcoin 2.0 projects involve "tokens", which unlike you say, are fundamental to the success of the underlying platforms.  otherwise, how could you trade a token that is worthless for storage space?  tokens have to have some value to do this.  

the problem though is that those tokens will inevitably trend to 0 value.  they are like United Flyer miles.  i can't tell you how many times those miles have been devalued or outright cancelled due to non use.  for the Bitcoin 2.0 projects, which have specific uses, it will behoove cryptocurrency users to hold their BTC over time until they have the need for these specific use cases.  this is b/c of the fixed supply nature of Bitcoin and its real world relationship to ever increasing fiat currency.  in other words, BTC should increase in value over time as one holds them instead of tokens.  this encourages market participants to hold their BTC until such time as they "need" to use them.  the converse is that the value of tokens on other platforms should trend to 0.

I've heard this debate before, but I don't think a winner was ever crowned: http://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/lets-talk-bitcoin-139-the-validity-of-appcoins

What will really happen is yet to be seen.

devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:38:44 PM

ppl will always want to stay in the most liquid store of value which in this case is Bitcoin b/c of its fixed supply and market cap.  only when they need to trade it for a token will they do so.  and only for a specific purpose.  the underlying platform's purpose can have value, it's just that its tokens will trend to 0 from lack of liquidity and limited demand.

For now Bitcoin is the most liquid store of value. But you said a few posts above that it's just the early days of Bitcoin. Well, if it's just the early days of Bitcoin, one can say other projects like NXT are still sucking breast milk Grin We don't know what the most liquid one will be in a few years and why people would need to stay in one and have to do exchange operations to use another, if they could just stay in that another one which is more useful and thus make it the most liquid by its utility value.
Pruden

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

Spanish Bitcoin trader

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:39:34 PM

from the Boston Fed:  

Second, the resource cost of mining is becoming increasingly unaffordable, not to mention the inefficiency associated with this aspect of the system design. Again, it is possible that within a few years it will become infeasible to rely on this distributed model, however consolidated, to verify transactions.

if it's so unaffordable, then why does it keep doing this?:

Why can no one understand that we don't need this hashing power to secure this network?  I doubt we need 1% of what we have today, given the impact destroying it would have.  Obviously a major govt could (at great cost) 51% it.  But most governments that have the means are ultimately responsible to the people and killing BTC by 51% attack is not the legal approach they would take (as opposed to a ban).  Therefore hashing only needs to secure against a private enterprise.  When you realize that 51%ing does not allow you to steal other people's coin -- it only can be used to stop them from spending, to reap all the mining rewards and to double spend, you quickly realize that economically this is a losing proposition.
Completely agree. As I stated before, the low fees paid are proof that users consider that the network has more than enough hashrate and there is no need to pay for more.

It also reminds me of bubble charts and makes me think if the capital allocated to Bitcoin is better placed than in many other assets in what the NYT called "The Bubble of Everything" the other day. Maybe Bitcoin, or a good part of it, is in the same side as housing, stocks, land, art, exclusive cars and antiques in these times of zero-risk money.
valarmg

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:39:57 PM

Does silver as a store of wealth erode the value of gold being a store of wealth?

Of course.

Yet gold can still maintain 100trillion market cap or whatever it is. It doesn't cause the value of gold to collapse because 'why do we need gold, we can just store our value in silver or platinum or ...'
Pages: « 1 ... 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 [602] 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: