Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:10:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 11:42:30 PM

Installed the new firmware on a few of my S4s, very glad to see an update for them from Bitmain.

Performance on p2pool is completely messed up, though. 225mhz hashes at 1950gh/s instead of 2225gh/s with the previous firmware. Strangely enough 212 and 218mhz works much better than 225, reaching about 2180gh/s at 218mhz.

Testing on ckpool right now, seems to work perfectly at 225mhz. Anyone know what's going on?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 01:21:59 AM
Last edit: February 03, 2015, 01:38:20 AM by sloopy

The "search" is disabled right now.  Otherwise, I'm sure I could find the answer to this question:

One of my fan blades on the back of an S4 popped out of its socket.  The metal axel is still connected to the fan blade(s) [propeller; whatever you want to call it].  The fan's axel simply came out on it's own from the housing and rested against one of the blades (circuit boards).  I took off the lid to see it like this.  I put the axel back in the hole in the center of the housing and pressed but it seem to not want to stay in there.  Will it click if I press harder?  I don't want to break the thing.

Will I need to buy another fan?  If so, what fan do I get?  Since I bought my S4's the end of November, is it still under warranty to get a replacement fan from BITMAIN?

There's no saving that, its how these fans usually fail unfortunately. If you're out of warranty, the cheapest option is to pick up an SP120 fan, twin pack is cheaper. [With affiliate link] [Without affiliate link].

If it was a front fan (intake) fan that failed you can swap it out directly. If it was a rear fan, swap one of the working front fans to the rear and put this fan in the front. The rear fans do most of the work so the front ones can be run quite a bit slower without any cooling impact.

I sent yoshi an email.  I'm about to send bitmainwarranty a PM shortly.  Here are some pictures.  [I dusted the thing out before putting it back to mining.  The temps are okay still; but higher than the other S4's].

Please only use one contact method, if you've already contacted Yoshi then let him sort it. In the future though, contact BitmainWarranty as its their sole job to help customers, so usually act quicker.

I PMd Dogie about this and wanted to share.
There is a PWM version of these fans. The price is pretty hefty for a 2 pack, but if they do the job I want I'm happy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C249QNE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
No affiliate link there, but if you want to use Dogie's go down and click his then put the text Corsair Air Series SP120 PWM High Performance Edition - Twin Pack (CO-9050014-WW)
These are the SP model, but my understanding is the AF are heavier and push more, although I don't remember if it is volume or pressure.

If you are interested in how these turn out let me know and I will report back via PM.
Thanks for the recommendation on the first non PWM model Dogie.
I still don't understand why you swap one from the front to the back though Smiley

Update on my S4 unit on the 3rd PSU:
This PSU has been running for 5 days. I do not want to jinx it but if I make 8 we are celebrating.
I have it at stock which is where I plan to keep it while warranty is active.
I also will never overclock it with the stock PSU.
There are several different reasons for the failures. I was told by someone reliable, not sure if itis already discussed at length on the forum, but that the PCI connections to the hash boards were bad. I'm not sure if they were underrated or what but they got away from those for the ring terminals. They should all be ring terminals now.
1400 watts is just barely enough to pump this baby at 2T. It was made for a good 240 line... in my opinion.
If you account for the tolerance of the PSU... well it is no wonder.

I did not do my homework on several key points in purchasing this miner, but I am learning:
1. Research BTC talk to the gills prior to purchasing any miner
2. If a PSU is included run the other way.
3. Make sure of who handles your warranty. Some resellers must cover the warranty. Be careful!!!
4. Talk with others who have the same miner you are getting who have went through problems. How were they handled? Everyone has problems, how good is the system you have in place? How much do the people who are answering the phone talking to your customers care about the call / e-mail?

I do thank BITMAIN for shipping me the control boards for the S3+s. They did not have to do so, and shipped those 2nd day air rather than ground. I would have paid and offered but they declined. It was a good gesture and not once has it been thrown at me that they did so. I respect such.

The overall lack of communication was the entire issue. If they had simply sent an e-mail, or picked upt he phone to make a 30 second call it would have made all the difference to me, the customer, int he entire ordeal. Had that occurred I would have felt like I was treated better than average since they included the S3 reflashed boards. (They actually sent me different boards. They may be new, they were in new static bags, August firmware on both).
I would not have been please to hear the machine would be without a stock PSU for another week, but if I was told that up front I would not have been so upset over hearing nothing. You never know when that can go on, and on, the not hearing anything.

The system is hashing as correctly as any other 10-16 unit. I appreciate whoever did process this warranty and have it sent.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
sEpuLchEr

Activity: 248
Merit: 250

Are we there yet?

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:55:56 AM

Installed the new firmware on a few of my S4s, very glad to see an update for them from Bitmain.

Performance on p2pool is completely messed up, though. 225mhz hashes at 1950gh/s instead of 2225gh/s with the previous firmware. Strangely enough 212 and 218mhz works much better than 225, reaching about 2180gh/s at 218mhz.

Testing on ckpool right now, seems to work perfectly at 225mhz. Anyone know what's going on?

I'm running the new firmware on my 4 S4s @ 200mhz/0700v. HR on S4 GUI is reporting as ~2.1-2.3TH/s (5 seconds) ~1.98-1.99TH/s (Avg) and p2pool reporting HR ~8-8.5TH/s Avg HR ~7.6TH/s for 4 S4s. DOA ~2-3%

macgyver007

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 01:57:05 PM

Installed the new firmware on 3 units so far.... extranonce is working with westhash from the looks of it
Im wondering why there is no load balance or failover options like the S3 has... with 1/4 of the power it makes no sense to have load balancing for 478GH but not for a 2TH machine...C1 needs some love too... nice to see Bitmain is listening
el_rlee
Legendary

Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 04:48:04 PM

if you have a dead PSU, please PM this account with your Bitmaintech.com OrderID and what happened to the PSU, please take some photos with your username on it.

Questions regarding using a different PSU while the original PSU is dead. Yes as long as it is a strong enough PSU, you can do so with your own risk. 

S4 is designed specific with this PSU, so if you use any other PSU, please consider how much watt each line would pull and power cord gauge)  If you modify PSU to fit with the connectors on S4, it could be hazardous to splice the wire without a proper process and it may create a fire hazard or electrical shock hazard.

Guess this is for Americans only?

S4 PSU's are really shitty.
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 06:01:49 PM

I'm running the new firmware on my 4 S4s @ 200mhz/0700v. HR on S4 GUI is reporting as ~2.1-2.3TH/s (5 seconds) ~1.98-1.99TH/s (Avg) and p2pool reporting HR ~8-8.5TH/s Avg HR ~7.6TH/s for 4 S4s. DOA ~2-3%

Any chance you could try overclocking one of them to see if you have the same problem as I do? The stock PSU is good for 225/0725 max, which pulls 117a from it and it's rated for 120a.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 06:55:11 PM

I still don't understand why you swap one from the front to the back though Smiley

Its fluid dynamics, the rear fans do most of the work overcoming the static pressure. You wouldn't see much difference to temps if you turned both front fans off, but you certainly would if you turned both rear fans off.

macgyver007

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 07:25:17 PM

Its fluid dynamics, the rear fans do most of the work overcoming the static pressure. You wouldn't see much difference to temps if you turned both front fans off, but you certainly would if you turned both rear fans off.

The simple more direct answer is ....no other fan cables are long enough to reach the control board from the rear fan positions except for the stock ones and the SP120 barely reaches with some juggling around and you just need to have some airflow from the front as the rear will ramp to full speed to get rid of the extra heat .... and the firmware is most likely set to exhaust at a higher speed once the miner temp reaches a certain level....fluid dynamics don't apply to air the last I checked 02 is air and fluid version of O2 is H20 Tongue

I am running 225MHz and its showing the same speed as with the old firmware...all my S4 are running 240v so I cant tell you what it uses at 120v but I know it is way too damn high for my liking hence the reason for 240v in the first place...on 120v 15a circuit it used around 13 or so which is above the safe range...my rigs are also on ckpool
Did you reset to defaults when you flashed the firmware then re-do your settings or leave the box ticked? I unticked the box just to be on the safe side after all it only takes a minute to reconfigure and you know for sure its using ALL of the defaults for that firmware as  a result
I only had a couple of casualties so far in the upgrade process...1 S4 upon reboot had -------------- across a board so I power cycled it and that was the last of that....turns out something toasted the SD Card as I put a different one in and its fine; the one I pulled out does not even get detected now so its definitely shot

On a different miner no matter what it didn't take the firmware upgrade even though it says it did...date still oct/2014 and when I pulled that one out afterwards to see whats up I got a message saying write protect was enabled on the SD card and it definitely was NOT enabled....re-imaging the SD card fixed that although when I tried using SDFormatter it refused to allow it going on about write protection...I am going to give it another shot to see if this issue can be reproduced..hopefully not  Cheesy

Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 07:33:32 PM

I am running 225MHz and its showing the same speed as with the old firmware...all my S4 are running 240v so I cant tell you what it uses at 120v but I know it is way too damn high for my liking hence the reason for 240v in the first place...on 120v 15a circuit it used around 13 or so which is above the safe range...my rigs are also on ckpool
Did you reset to defaults when you flashed the firmware then re-do your settings or leave the box ticked? I unticked the box just to be on the safe side after all it only takes a minute to reconfigure and you know for sure its using ALL of the defaults for that firmware as  a result
I only had a couple of casualties so far in the upgrade process...1 S4 upon reboot had -------------- across a board so I power cycled it and that was the last of that....turns out something toasted the SD Card as I put a different one in and its fine; the one I pulled out does not even get detected now so its definitely shot

On a different miner no matter what it didn't take the firmware upgrade even though it says it did...date still oct/2014 and when I pulled that one out afterwards to see whats up I got a message saying write protect was enabled on the SD card and it definitely was NOT enabled....re-imaging the SD card fixed that although when I tried using SDFormatter it refused to allow it going on about write protection...I am going to give it another shot to see if this issue can be reproduced..hopefully not  Cheesy

I'm also running on 240v, 120v is for peasants lol. (Just kidding all you 120v peasants Tongue)

But yeah, the issue is really only with p2pool with my machines. They work perfectly with ckpool. Mind pointing one of your rigs at my p2pool node? Or any other p2pool node for that matter. I'd like to see how your S4 performs vs mine.

Address: 69.157.250.207:9332
User: yourbtcaddressasusername
Password: x
macgyver007

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 07:35:36 PM

On a different miner no matter what it didn't take the firmware upgrade even though it says it did...date still oct/2014 and when I pulled that one out afterwards to see whats up I got a message saying write protect was enabled on the SD card and it definitely was NOT enabled....re-imaging the SD card fixed that although when I tried using SDFormatter it refused to allow it going on about write protection...I am going to give it another shot to see if this issue can be reproduced..hopefully not  Cheesy

I'm also running on 240v, 120v is for peasants lol. (Just kidding all you 120v peasants Tongue)

But yeah, the issue is really only with p2pool with my machines. They work perfectly with ckpool. Mind pointing one of your rigs at my p2pool node? Or any other p2pool node for that matter. I'd like to see how your S4 performs vs mine.

edit- 1 machine is pointed at that IP and I noticed just using x for password it starts the difficulty a lot lower than using

x --scan-time 1 --queue 1 --expiry 1

I just rebooted it to get some clean numbers
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 07:53:47 PM

edit- 1 machine is pointed at that IP and I noticed just using x for password it starts the difficulty a lot lower than using

x --scan-time 1 --queue 1 --expiry 1

I just rebooted it to get some clean numbers

Cool, thanks. If you want to specify a difficulty with p2pool, add +2048 to your address. For example: 16oAG2yWnWFufgVPLaCZpVWnmgXukswRE4+2048

I'm trying with queue 0 instead of 8192 right now, 218mhz. Seems to work a lot better.

You can monitor your miner here: 69.157.250.207:9332/static/p2pool-node-status/
macgyver007

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 07:57:16 PM

I put in a difficulty of 2250 which is the same as what I use on CKPool lets see what happens now also I removed the scan-time and expiry options now the password field is just

x  --queue 1
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:03:35 PM

I put in a difficulty of 2250 which is the same as what I use on CKPool lets see what happens now also I removed the scan-time and expiry options now the password field is just

x  --queue 1

I use 2250 also. Are you sure adding --queue 1 to the password field works? I tried it after you suggested it in the other firmware thread, but it never actually applied it. Was still running 8192. With this new firmware, you can change queue by editing /config/user_setting through ssh or putty. I set mine to 0 and it is persistent across power downs.

Are you running 200mhz, or overclocked?
macgyver007

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:11:58 PM

x  --queue 1

I use 2250 also. Are you sure adding --queue 1 to the password field works? I tried it after you suggested it in the other firmware thread, but it never actually applied it. Was still running 8192. With this new firmware, you can change queue by editing /config/user_setting through ssh or putty. I set mine to 0 and it is persistent across power downs.

Are you running 200mhz, or overclocked?

I got the info about the extra flags from 1 of kanos posts a while ago...how are you verifying if it has applied or not? I know it used to work  Huh I have been using those flags in the password for westhash as well with scan 1 queue 0 expiry 1
I am running at 225MHz

By putting the values in the password field I am definitely getting different hashrates with queue 0 giving the highest so far, then 1, then default (nothing specified but its 8192)
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:22:38 PM

M's Miner Monitor is the best way:

You can also ssh (use putty with Windows) into the miner, type "screen -r" and then press "s" and you'll see the current settings for queue scan-time and expiry. Press ctrl+a+d to get back to command line.

Judging by your reported hashrate, you're running 8192. Try setting it to 0 or 1 with the other method I mentioned, and let's see what happens to your hashrate. After that, I'd suggest trying 218.75mhz, which seems to give me the best result now with this firmware and p2pool.
macgyver007

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:46:31 PM

You can also ssh (use putty with Windows) into the miner, type "screen -r" and then press "s" and you'll see the current settings for queue scan-time and expiry. Press ctrl+a+d to get back to command line.

Judging by your reported hashrate, you're running 8192. Try setting it to 0 or 1 with the other method I mentioned, and let's see what happens to your hashrate. After that, I'd suggest trying 218.75mhz, which seems to give me the best result now with this firmware and p2pool.

Confirmed those flags don't do anything now in the password field  Huh

I will go in and edit the file and see what happens
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:52:46 PM

Confirmed those flags don't do anything now in the password field  Huh

Yeah, that's what I thought. They didn't work with the previous firmware either for me.

Wouldn't it be great if we had an active Bitmain employee in these threads to help out like Spondoolies does?
Sandhog

Activity: 76

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:56:15 PM

In case nobody noticed, there is a new firmware for S4. Release date 29th Jan.
That's good to know. I shall upgrade to new firmware and give it a try. I had no problem with older firmware but I want to see if there is an improvement.
macgyver007

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 09:19:22 PM

Confirmed those flags don't do anything now in the password field  Huh

Yeah, that's what I thought. They didn't work with the previous firmware either for me.

Wouldn't it be great if we had an active Bitmain employee in these threads to help out like Spondoolies does?

There is something strange with 225MHz and P2Pool I don't know what it is but the numbers speak for themselves... 218 MHz Im seeing average over 2.1T within the first 3 mins and I never saw higher than 1975 using 225MHz and the same effect using queue 0 or 1 so for some reason don't go higher than 218 for P2Pool unless you want to lose 10% of your hashrate

with queue 1 @218MHz I am seeing 2173GH/s avg after 7 mins
with queue 1 @225MHz I never see more than 1975
Note these results are only for P2Pool
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 09:24:44 PM

OK, so it's not just me. Thanks for testing this out!

Feel free to keep mining with me on my node, BTW. P2Pool pays better than any other pool, by a small amount. If you don't want to mine with p2pool I'd suggest sticking around until you at least get 1 share, that way you'll earn something from your testing.  Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: