Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:20:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 [364] 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 08:56:22 AM

KNCminder's choice of pricing models doesn't dictate my ROI calculations. What dictates my ROI calculations is what else I could do with the money, which is buy Bitcoins. Any idiot can buy Bitcoins -- if buying a miner is worse than buying Bitcoins, then only an idiot would buy a miner. If it's better than buying Bitcoins, then people who would otherwise buy Bitcoins should consider buying miners. From a realistic standpoint, your choices are to buy a miner, buy Bitcoins, or do something else.

Yes, but no one knows for sure what is best action now. Everyone just estimate the future
Yep. The key unknown is future difficulty.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AussieHash

Activity: 692
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 09:16:52 AM

Just to put your absurd calculations to reality.

January Difficulty of 1110M would be 7 Petahash (7000TH)

You're next calculation of February shows that close to doubling at 13 Petahash (13,000TH)

Then if we move on to the next absurd calculation of March at around 25 Petahash (25,000TH) you start to see how retarded using a % calculation becomes.

Now for some more perspective!

7 Petahash = 17,500 Jupiters = 70,000 Packages = 280,000 ASIC Chips (Remember each one of KnC's Packages has 4 "Chips" inside)

Are you starting to see how unbelievable your calculations are now?

If for some reason it did get to 7 Petahashes with all the other vendors coming online, do you honestly think it will go to 13 in a Month? and then 25 the next month?

Do you think anyone will buy a machine for $5,000 in January when it is making $300/month and dropping?

*Mind Blown*

I think 7-9PH will hit the network by early 2014.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=278384.0;all lists 3.9TH
I think KnC have much more than 500TH, they've been selling since June, and are due to ship next month.  HF on the other hand has not taped out yet, and sold out 550 units in <2-3 weeks.

This 3.9PH estimate does not include BFL, Alydian, ASICMiner gen 2, Avalon gen 2, labcoin, cointerra or xcrowd.
carlotech

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 12:52:31 PM

This thread becomes interesting every day.. Grin
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 01:49:12 PM

an excellent reason to use wifi indeed, would stop a cablemodem, or dsl modem spike in its tracks.... but if I'm not mistaken, most wifi routers are already pre-configured as you say, with up-link on the RJ-45 side & down-link on the wi-fi side... or am I missing something?

Perhaps you are missing a spike on the AC line?

WiFi will not negate the lightning hazard thru the AC.

A smart miner will have a surge protector AT the miner.
Surge protectors with telco, coax, and ethernet ports are common.
A UPS would be even better so you can mine thru brown/black outs.
You would need a very big UPS to mine for more than a few minutes during a blackout though.

Everything in the chain needs lightning/surge protection!
Miners will come to a screeching halt if your upstream equipment goes poof.

Even though I posted a link to a WiFi solution I do not advocate WiFi for mining.
There are security/reliability issues.

The origonal conversation stemmed from different utility companies sharing/not sharing grounds, so if your cable internet isn't sharing pole grounds on the way to your home, and gets hit by lightning instead of the POWER line, which IS grounded on every pole, it would indeed lessen the risk of lightning strike spike from the internet line, stopping at the wifi, instead of in your miner.

Since they travel feet apart on the poles, when lightening strikes I would bet it bounces between one and the other or stays on both.  That kind of argument is like the speed of light argument of a ball being bounced on a flatcar going the speed of light - the ball bouncing would have to go faster than light as it isn't traveling in a straight line.  The whole idea is a farce.  But yes, I'm glad you agree with me.  thanks.
The point was the electrical lines would have grounds at every pole, but a utility line would not. Sorry if I didn't explain it well, I'm running around doing other things...   Wink
BTW, I'm also not an advocate of wireless mining, just looking at options category.
My actual tentative plan is the locally offered Generic 49.99 7Mb/s Dsl buisness connection, connecting the miners via the RJ45 connection on the Ethernet router provided by the service provider, but to get multiple machines on it, I plan on a simple miner, to ethernt hub, to router setup, and still be able to access the system via wifi laptop when I'm there (The service provider confirmed their "free wi-fi router" would be capable of connecting to a hub via RJ45 with multiple machines on it)

It looks as if each and every pole has a cable off to a metal post and these were added when the internet cable was strung at least in the case of the pole closest to my home well back on the property.  Each pole has a heavy support cable top to top.  The original copper ground runs from a cable supporting the top wire down to the ground except for the section removed.  I think it also jumps to the upper support cable as well.  The cable company wire also has its own support cable and a copper ground jumps the line box strung in the air, jumping loosely over from one side of the line box to the other on the support cable and then jumped to and clamped to the ground running down the side of the pole.  Maybe it wasn't the electric utility that cut the wire.  Maybe that copper ground was owned by the landline telephone company.  Perhaps it was cut because they lost so much business to VOIP.  If jumped to the upper support cable, oxidized steel, that runs to a metal post in the ground, that oxidized steel cable provides some grounding, albeit less than offered by copper.  Its loop at the base support would present a little resistance I suppose.  Maybe they were experiencing some kind of ground loop oscillation and broke the copper grounds to reduce noise.

So, what you're doing is an ad hoc hosting.
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 01:51:18 PM

bitcoin just crossed $130 on mt. gox.....come on KNC!
This might be where stock brokers come out of their holes, sell their BTC and then yell SELL causing a panic driving the price down where then then buy it back up.
timmmers

Activity: 1176
Merit: 265

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 02:02:02 PM

Talk of war, always boosts these things.
It's sticking around 130, and a little above. Be nice if it stayed there Smiley

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin

.ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..

█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.TELEGRAM
rolling

Activity: 824
Merit: 712

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 02:11:38 PM

Ok, maybe it's really a case of semantics and bad swedish to english translation, then. When they said they wanted to protect their customers, I got all warm and fuzzy inside thinking they were referring to those $11000 in Paypal transfers my wife nearly divorced me over.

I mistakenly thought the customers they were referring to were the same people who have actually sent them money to pay for a miner or two, not the metaphorical "everyone is our customer, even if they never considered spending a dime with us before they saw that we were the only company actually shipping ASICS". You know, the customer that doesn't exist yet, but will line up in droves in october for november delivered ASICs discounted nearly 40% from the month before.

Maybe I have a totally misplaced sense of entitlement, but I don't want KNC constantly levelling the playing field so that late-to-the-party miners don't have to pay a penalty for being tardy. I want early ordering preference and Pricing for gen 2 or a serious discount on november gen 1 machines so that I can stockpile hashing power during the dec - feb drought.

I like the way you think and I have a lot of the same ideas.  It would be nice to be recognized/acknowledged for making this all possible for KNC.  Like a lifetime "founder" discount or a founder ordering period prior to regular ordering when they launch a new device.  Of course, that doesn't really do anything if they continue to ship as fast as they can.

While it is great that they have the capacity to deliver hundreds or thousands of units per day, it is not good for any of us as it increases the difficulty for earlier investors.  If I paid 2 months before someone else, I should get my machine 2 months before them.  Maybe they could close the gap over time but it is kind of sick to think someone who orders today will get their miner only a week or two after I get mine and I paid 2 months ago.
Phoenix1969
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

LIR DEV

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 02:26:55 PM

With orders in the first week of June myself, I can surely see your point, but at the same time, getting an Asic "on-time" will be a first in this business...  and I'm extremely happy with that! Sweetening the pot for re-investors is indeed a really good idea though... It would be excellent for both KNC and returning customers! Like I mentioned earlier, a simple coupon code to redeem at your next purchase would certainly do the trick! Fingers crossed.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
nightengale

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 02:30:43 PM

A discount on the next gen of miners would be appropriate I think... Hopefully the KnC fanboys don't start piling on now.
ffernandex

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 02:32:03 PM

This is with a ridiculously high % per month increase in Diff (76%), and no increase in BTC value/dollar,  which I consider worst case scenario.

Any idea what would be a more realistic monthly increase %?

I realize it will start tapering off at some point but the latest increases are making me cringe.

AVERAGE LAST 3 JUMPS
Ave Increase per jump: 28.13%
Ave Increase per month: 99.04%
Ave days for jump: 10.9471142

AVERAGE LAST 7 JUMPS
Ave Increase per jump: 22.81%
Ave Increase per month: 72.74%
Ave days for jump: 11.42691964

AVERAGE LAST 11 JUMPS
Ave Increase per jump: 19.85%
Ave Increase per month: 59.96%
Ave days for jump: 11.71631418

If you like my posts, feel free to donate!
BTC: 1L1S4wG5TNJZSX9VG3vkk2er76YHihz3Kg
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 02:40:35 PM

Of course the recent jumps are high, this is the major transitionary period between GPUs to ASICs (well the ones that have been delivered).

Every current wave of deliveries obviously increases the network hashrate significantrly more than the last. That's obvious.

All this talk of genesis block calculations is nonsense.

It takes a cumulative view of difficulty increases, and that is untenable in the long term, unless the network can be continuously increased in proportion.

So where the current hashrate stands it is easy to double.  Where the network stands in November, it will be less easy to double.

Assuming the increase will remain linear over time, when the hashrate introduced won't remain linear over time invalidates such arguments, most of which is FUD.

P.S. Timmers, I sure hope you aren't really wishing for war.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 03:16:09 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2013, 03:27:30 PM by crumbs

Of course the recent jumps are high, this is the major transitionary period between GPUs to ASICs (well the ones that have been delivered).

Every current wave of deliveries obviously increases the network hashrate significantrly more than the last. That's obvious.

It takes a cumulative view of difficulty increases, and that is untenable in the long term, unless the network can be continuously increased in proportion.

So where the current hashrate stands it is easy to double.  Where the network stands in November, it will be less easy to double.

Assuming the increase will remain linear over time, when the hashrate introduced won't remain linear over time invalidates such arguments, most of which is FUD.

Riddle:  Complete the chart Smiley

*** Difficulty ***

Which one would you bet on, Bitcoinorama?  Edit: I left hints and clues...
ffernandex

Activity: 143

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 03:18:52 PM

I agree with you conceptually, "that is untenable in the long term".

The problem here is that we don't know what long term is. This is a new experience so we don't know how it may develop.

The comparison to the GPU transition holds until a certain point. ASICs are much more powerful and since they're being developed for a specific task, they are being constantly improved. With GPUs you could only buy more GPUs (linear increase), but if you have a successful ASIC (AVALON B1) then you make a lot of bitcoins you can use to buy a few of the new gen ASICS, and consequentially there is an exponential increase. I agree that this improvement will reach a ceiling at some point, but we don't know when that would be.

On the one hand we have many players developing 2nd 3rd and 4rd generation chips, and even if they are late in the game they will still try to sell their chips at any rate even if losing money. Once the costs of developing a new chip are accounted for, producing more chips and miners is significantly cheaper, which means they can flood the market with discounted prices.

On the other hand the viable mining operation for let's say, a Jupiter, is mostly 6 months, and in best case scenario, 12 months. That is not "long term" in this scenario, considering that we will see a few new miners before the year ends.

Best,

If you like my posts, feel free to donate!
BTC: 1L1S4wG5TNJZSX9VG3vkk2er76YHihz3Kg
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 03:28:33 PM

Bitfury beats KNC to the "first shipment" finish line:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=250249.msg3018498#msg3018498

Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 03:29:12 PM

Not at 28nm.

ASIC-K

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Hell?

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 03:33:12 PM

+1
rolling

Activity: 824
Merit: 712

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 03:34:34 PM

Didn't they have orders for units with July delivery?  Does that mean they were 1 month late?
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 03:39:13 PM

The Eurpoean Bitfury units just shipped weren't even paid for until 7/4/13:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=250249.msg2657622#msg2657622

The Metabank bitfury miners paid for on 6/2/13 were suppose to ship in late August/early September so they are not quite late yet.
kncminer (OP)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

Bringing new ASIC miners to life

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 03:40:45 PM

Competition time!

We have a new challenge for you. We require a slogan for our controller board and we have 48 hours to make up our minds. You may remember we made a couple of minor mishaps with our Mars board. On our original Mars PCBs we printed: Bitcoins make the world go around! (Grammer is not our area of expertise, chip design is). So we have chosen to open this part of the design process to those following us on this forum. This is your chance to be immortalised in Bitcoin tech history. Please design the phrase you wish to see. There is still a space for one sentence on our boards. The 48 hours start now. Competition ends at 5.30pm (local time). We will decide the winning entrant which will then be seen on all our hardware; Jupiter, Saturn and Mercury.

Thanks,

KnCMiner team.

Best regards

Kncminer

kncminer.com
blastbob

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 03:42:59 PM

Competition time!

We have a new challenge for you. We require a slogan for our controller board and we have 48 hours to make up our minds. You may remember we made a couple of minor mishaps with our Mars board. On our original Mars PCBs we printed: Bitcoins make the world go around! (Grammer is not our area of expertise, chip design is). So we have chosen to open this part of the design process to those following us on this forum. This is your chance to be immortalised in Bitcoin tech history. Please design the phrase you wish to see. There is still a space for one sentence on our boards. The 48 hours start now. Competition ends at 5.30pm (local time). We will decide the winning entrant which will then be seen on all our hardware; Jupiter, Saturn and Mercury.

Thanks,

KnCMiner team.

"Got ROI?"

Bitrated user: blastbob.
Pages: « 1 ... 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 [364] 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: