Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:07:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412869 times)
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 05:29:00 PM

Devcoin client seems to have issues running on Ubuntu. If this is a real issue stopping everyone from using Devcoin, then it's pretty much useless because it'll never be adopted into any system.

I even tried going back over previous whole page of posts be see nothing about Ubuntu at all.

I use Fedora, I understood that the normal makefile.unix that coins all come with was one that works as is in Ubunto without needing customising like I have to do in Fedora. So I thought they all work easier on Ubuntu than they do for me.

But without explicit version and error message and all that even an Ubuntu expert isn't likely be be able to do much. Unless somehow they come across a problem themselves, whereupon hopefully they'd fix it themselves and submit a pull request with the fix.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:45:04 PM

Thanxs for the encouraging answer.
Let me go back to my writing, you are putting me in a wholesome hurry.
Greetings to your chickens.

Don't worry, I'm going to wait till next round to post on Rollitup and make tons of videos. I'm gonna make like 1-3 DVC videos this round, and focus on BTC videos.

Then next round I'll just start pumping out DVC info all over the web, making tons of videos, and handing out free shit Smiley

What type of videos, is that the kind of work you do ?

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 05:47:40 PM

Thanxs for the encouraging answer.
Let me go back to my writing, you are putting me in a wholesome hurry.
Greetings to your chickens.

Don't worry, I'm going to wait till next round to post on Rollitup and make tons of videos. I'm gonna make like 1-3 DVC videos this round, and focus on BTC videos.

Then next round I'll just start pumping out DVC info all over the web, making tons of videos, and handing out free shit Smiley

What type of videos, is that the kind of work you do ?

Yeah, I make videos, take pictures, and write.

I'm going to make stuff informing people about bounties, the old price of DVC/current price of DVC and how it can get there again but meaningfully this time, How to register on Devtome, how Devtome earnings work, new projects that come up (like the Dev AdSense) etc.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 06:56:08 PM

I even tried going back over previous whole page of posts be see nothing about Ubuntu at all.

Mention of Ubuntu is in reddit comment:

I did try, but devcoind process that I started on the server ended up consuming too much CPU and ultimately crashing. I think the latest release is either broken or doesn't work well under Ubuntu 12.04.

I'm running 64 bit Ubuntu server 12.04 and I was using the Devcoin binaries provided on Sourceforge. I also tried compiling it from sources on Github but ran into compiler errors (wasn't missing dependencies)... Main issue is high CPU usage, while all other coin daemons are fine..

This is what prevents Devcoin support in ALTcointip on reddit.

bitcointip is basically a web wallet for reddit users, with one twist: it is possible to pay coins just by adding one line to your comment like "+tip 0.1 BTC", and it is possible to pay that way even to a person who haven't yet created a wallet. So this helps to spread the word a lot. You know, when person receives a tip cryptocurrency isn't just a weird concept anymore.

ALTcointip is the same thing, but for alt-coins.

I think it would be cool to pay developers with devcoins, so it's a pitty that we can't get that working because of problems with devcoind.

Chromia: a better dapp platform
Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 07:20:05 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2013, 07:34:50 PM by Icoin

I did try, but devcoind process that I started on the server ended up consuming too much CPU and ultimately crashing. I think the latest release is either broken or doesn't work well under Ubuntu 12.04.

I'm running 64 bit Ubuntu server 12.04 and I was using the Devcoin binaries provided on Sourceforge. I also tried compiling it from sources on Github but ran into compiler errors (wasn't missing dependencies)... Main issue is high CPU usage, while all other coin daemons are fine..

bitcointip is basically a web wallet for reddit users, with one twist: it is possible to pay coins just by adding one line to your comment like "+tip 0.1 BTC", and it is possible to pay that way even to a person who haven't yet created a wallet. So this helps to spread the word a lot. You know, when person receives a tip cryptocurrency isn't just a weird concept anymore.

I think it would be cool to pay developers with devcoins, so it's a pitty that we can't get that working because of problems with devcoind.

Sorry but this is misleading, devcoin works well on Ubuntu 12.04 X64 i didnt had a problem to compile and run version 32501. Devcoind runs here with minimal cpu and 185.6 mb ram usage. Of course thats different douring blockchain load at the beginning.

Code:
sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev libglib2.0-dev libglibmm-2.4-dev libboost-all-dev libdb-dev libdb++-dev libminiupnpc-dev libwxgtk2.8-dev  

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 07:54:52 PM

I think nobody can for sure know the future. Think for example of Fuzzybear. He is a great supporter of Devcoin, but he is leading a forum about ppcoin on ppcointalk.org.
This means that, yes, there are good chances for devcoin. But think: even one of the main supporter do not rely entirely on devcoin. It tells me: nothing is certain, better spread the risk. If not so, someone like Fuzzybear would spend all the time supporting only Devcoin.
 Wink

That means nothing. I plan on making BBQ coin videos, BitBar videos and tons of other kinds of videos.
I am not soley relying on Devcoin either, I just believe in the projects it proposes, and I see how it can help get them done Smiley

I think once I start using my coins to promote devcoin (once I get paid in june, because I literally only have like 1 btc or less in ALL coins right now) other people that have coins (possibly some of the people who have been writing and mining for near 2 years) will spend their coins on things like I do. People just have to see things happen so they know it works Smiley

vindimy

Activity: 239

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 07:58:01 PM

Sorry but this is misleading, devcoin works well on Ubuntu 12.04 X64 i didnt had a problem to compile and run version 32501. Devcoind runs here with minimal cpu and 185.6 mb ram usage. Of course thats different douring blockchain load at the beginning.

Code:
sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev libglib2.0-dev libglibmm-2.4-dev libboost-all-dev libdb-dev libdb++-dev libminiupnpc-dev libwxgtk2.8-dev  

I was able to compile devcoind-29-Nov-2012.tgz just like I had to compile Terracoin (I think), but unlike other coin daemons (I'm running 5 of them), devcoind didn't play nice - it literally caused the system to come to screeching halt, with ssh prompt lagging, and then OOM killer taking it out. That's on a system with 2 GB of RAM (it's a VPS, so I can't afford any bigger).

I'll give it another try, compiling devcoind-29-Nov-2012.tgz from scratch and running it to see what happens. Maybe devcoind-29-Nov-2012.tgz is the wrong version to use? That's what the website instructing everyone to download, so I'd assume it's stable.

DannyM

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 08:05:04 PM

Try this one: https://github.com/knotwork/old-devcoind
vindimy

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 08:07:06 PM

Okay, I've compiled and ran devcoind-29-Nov-2012.tgz, and now it's saying this (while datadir isn't growing, stays at 15 MB):

Code:
:~/.devcoin$ ps aux|grep devcoind
dv       11683  0.4  0.4 710572  9752 ?        Ssl  20:02   0:01 devcoind -datadir=/home/dv/.devcoin/ -daemon
dv       11868  0.0  0.0   9384   876 pts/6    S+   20:06   0:00 grep --color=auto devcoind
:~/.devcoin$ devcoind getinfo
{
    "version" : 32400,
    "balance" : 0.00000000,
    "blocks" : 0,
    "connections" : 8,
    "proxy" : "",
    "generate" : false,
    "genproclimit" : -1,
    "difficulty" : 1.00000000,
    "hashespersec" : 0,
    "testnet" : false,
    "keypoololdest" : 1369252847,
    "paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
    "errors" : "WARNING: Displayed transactions may not be correct!  You may need to upgrade, or other nodes may need to upgrade."
}

So it's an outdated version?

vindimy

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 08:11:37 PM

Compiler wasn't happy with this one.

Code:
:~/coins/old-devcoind/src$ make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP= bitcoind
make: *** No rule to make target `bitcoind'.  Stop.

Code:
:~/coins/old-devcoind/src$ make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP=
g++ -c -O2 -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wformat -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -DNOPCH -DFOURWAYSSE2 -DUSE_SSL -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARG
E_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -pthread -DGUI -o obj/util.o util.cpp
In file included from headers.h:93:0,
                 from util.cpp:4:
util.h: In function âvoid ExitThread(unsigned int)â:
util.h:653:25: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size [-Wint-to-pointer-cast]
In file included from headers.h:99:0,
ui.h: At global scope:
ui.h:30:142: error: default argument for âconst wxString& captionâ has type âconst char [8]â
ui.h: In function âint MyMessageBox(const wxString&, const wxString&, int, wxWindow*, int, int)â:
ui.h:36:56: error: no matching function for call to âstd::basic_string<char>::basic_string(const wxString&)â
ui.h:36:56: note: candidates are:
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.h:527:9: note: template<class _InputIterator> std::basic_string::basic_string(_InputIterator, _InputIterator, const _Alloc&)
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:221:5: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type, _CharT, const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = c
har, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type = long unsigned int]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:221:5: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 1 provided
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:214:5: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const _CharT*, const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc =
std::allocator<char>]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:214:5: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from âconst wxStringâ to âconst char*â
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:207:5: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const _CharT*, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type, const _Alloc&) [with _Ch
arT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type = long unsigned int]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:207:5: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 1 provided
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:195:5: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>:
:size_type, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type, const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _All
oc> = std::basic_string<char>, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type = long unsigned int]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:195:5: note:   candidate expects 4 arguments, 1 provided
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:185:5: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>:
:size_type, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc> = std::basi
c_string<char>, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type = long unsigned int]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:185:5: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 1 provided
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:171:5: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_tr
aits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc> = std::basic_string<char>]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:171:5: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from âconst wxStringâ to âconst std::basic_string<char>&â
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:179:5: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<
char>]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:179:5: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from âconst wxStringâ to âconst std::allocator<char>&â
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.h:432:7: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string() [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.h:432:7: note:   candidate expects 0 arguments, 1 provided
ui.h:36:86: error: no matching function for call to âstd::basic_string<char>::basic_string(const wxString&)â
ui.h:36:86: note: candidates are:
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.h:527:9: note: template<class _InputIterator> std::basic_string::basic_string(_InputIterator, _InputIterator, const _Alloc&)
200 more lines of errors

DannyM

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 08:13:21 PM

Okay, I've compiled and ran devcoind-29-Nov-2012.tgz, and now it's saying this (while datadir isn't growing, stays at 15 MB):

Code:
:~/.devcoin$ ps aux|grep devcoind
dv       11683  0.4  0.4 710572  9752 ?        Ssl  20:02   0:01 devcoind -datadir=/home/dv/.devcoin/ -daemon
dv       11868  0.0  0.0   9384   876 pts/6    S+   20:06   0:00 grep --color=auto devcoind
:~/.devcoin$ devcoind getinfo
{
    "blocks" : 0,
    "difficulty" : 1.00000000,
    "keypoololdest" : 1369252847,
    "errors" : "WARNING: Displayed transactions may not be correct!  You may need to upgrade, or other nodes may need to upgrade."
}

So it's an outdated version?

Check debug.log
DannyM

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 08:13:52 PM

Compiler wasn't happy with this one.

Code:
:~/coins/old-devcoind/src$ make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP= bitcoind
make: *** No rule to make target `bitcoind'.  Stop.

Code:
:~/coins/old-devcoind/src$ make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP=
g++ -c -O2 -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wformat -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -DNOPCH -DFOURWAYSSE2 -DUSE_SSL -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARG
E_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -pthread -DGUI -o obj/util.o util.cpp
In file included from headers.h:93:0,
util.h: In function âvoid ExitThread(unsigned int)â:
util.h:653:25: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size [-Wint-to-pointer-cast]
In file included from headers.h:99:0,
ui.h: At global scope:
ui.h:30:142: error: default argument for âconst wxString& captionâ has type âconst char [8]â
ui.h: In function âint MyMessageBox(const wxString&, const wxString&, int, wxWindow*, int, int)â:
ui.h:36:56: error: no matching function for call to âstd::basic_string<char>::basic_string(const wxString&)â
ui.h:36:56: note: candidates are:
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:221:5: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type, _CharT, const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = c
har, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type = long unsigned int]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:221:5: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 1 provided
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:214:5: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const _CharT*, const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc =
std::allocator<char>]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:214:5: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from âconst wxStringâ to âconst char*â
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:207:5: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const _CharT*, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type, const _Alloc&) [with _Ch
arT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type = long unsigned int]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:207:5: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 1 provided
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:195:5: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>:
:size_type, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type, const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _All
oc> = std::basic_string<char>, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type = long unsigned int]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:195:5: note:   candidate expects 4 arguments, 1 provided
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:185:5: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>:
:size_type, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc> = std::basi
c_string<char>, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size_type = long unsigned int]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:185:5: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 1 provided
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:171:5: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_tr
aits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>, std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc> = std::basic_string<char>]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:171:5: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from âconst wxStringâ to âconst std::basic_string<char>&â
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:179:5: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<
char>]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.tcc:179:5: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from âconst wxStringâ to âconst std::allocator<char>&â
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.h:432:7: note: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string() [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/basic_string.h:432:7: note:   candidate expects 0 arguments, 1 provided
ui.h:36:86: error: no matching function for call to âstd::basic_string<char>::basic_string(const wxString&)â
ui.h:36:86: note: candidates are:
200 more lines of errors

make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP= devcoind
shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 08:15:09 PM

So, what is the maximum number of DVC ever to be mined (like 20 million for BTC) ? I searched for the answer, but it seems confusing. The official sites say that it is 21 billion (1000X number of BTC), but now I hear it is unlimited - is that true ? Did the software get changed sometime after first release ?

The maximum number of coins in any on e wallet or address or in general any arithmetic/total, but coins will keep gettign created, 50,000 per block, forever. So some century or other maybe larger than 64 bit integers will have to start being use if more than 21 billion ever need to be added up in any one arithmetic operation.

-MarkM-

Are you saying the limit is not 21 billion total, and it is unlimited ? Is there a document which says that ? The source code seems to indicate 21 billion total ever to be produced.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 08:22:27 PM

Weird, but what indicates it has anything to do with Ubuntu?

Surely others are running it on Ubuntu, it is the most popular Linux lately isn't it?

Could it be that the guy has not got his receiver files in place so it is trying forever to get files or something?

I hadn't heard that Ubuntu had any libraries that use notably more CPU than their equivalents on other distros or anything like that.

So it could be something about the particular guy's setup not really an Ubuntu problem at all?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 08:25:07 PM

So, what is the maximum number of DVC ever to be mined (like 20 million for BTC) ? I searched for the answer, but it seems confusing. The official sites say that it is 21 billion (1000X number of BTC), but now I hear it is unlimited - is that true ? Did the software get changed sometime after first release ?

The maximum number of coins in any one wallet or address or in general any arithmetic/total, but coins will keep getting created, 50,000 per block, forever. So some century or other maybe larger than 64 bit integers will have to start being use if more than 21 billion ever need to be added up in any one arithmetic operation.

-MarkM-

Are you saying the limit is not 21 billion total, and it is unlimited ? Is there a document which says that ? The source code seems to indicate 21 billion total ever to be produced.

No, the source code indicates no individual variable containing a count of coins can count up to more than 21 billion.

Nowhere does the code add up all coins ever minted, it only adds up wallet, "account" and address totals. So as long as no individual wallet, "account" or address has more than 21 billion there could be billions of times that many coins total. It would just eventually need larger integers at some point if someone did try to add up all the coins in the entire blockchain.

Search for "subsidy" in main.cpp, it just does 50,000 coins per block forever, there is no halving and there is no block at which it stops minting.

-MarkM-

vindimy

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 08:31:22 PM

make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP= devcoind

Okay, that worked - thanks. I now have a devcoid seemingly downloading blocks, CPU usage is normal so far. We'll see how it goes.

Code:
dv@gen-1:~/.devcoin$ devcoind getinfo
{
    "blocks" : 35202,
    "difficulty" : 66118.13417901,
    "keypoololdest" : 1369254142,
    "errors" : ""
}

The fact that it took this much support to just get devcoind running on Ubuntu means the owner of devcoin.org and/or Sourceforge repo should probably build devcoind with these instructions.. otherwise people will not be able to get started.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 08:32:23 PM

The maximum number of coins in any one wallet or address or in general any arithmetic/total, but coins will keep getting created, 50,000 per block, forever. So some century or other maybe larger than 64 bit integers will have to start being use if more than 21 billion ever need to be added up in any one arithmetic operation.

-MarkM-

No, the source code indicates no individual variable containing a count of coins can count up to more than 21 billion.

Nowhere does the code add up all coins ever minted, it only adds up wallet, "account" and address totals. So as long as no individual wallet, "account" or address has more than 21 billion there could be billions of times that many coins total. It would just eventually need larger integers at some point if someone did try to add up all the coins in the entire blockchain.

Search for "subsidy" in main.cpp, it just does 50,000 coins per block forever, there is no halving and there is no block at which it stops minting.

-MarkM-

So the price of coins is basically just based on the projects and the rarity of the coins as more people come on board.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 08:33:39 PM

Can anyone that knows about mining help here?

Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 08:53:56 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2013, 09:34:12 PM by Icoin

Can anyone that knows about mining help here?

i suggest to join the devcoin channel on freenode IRC

Devcoin developers please join the devcoin-dev channel on freenode

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 10:23:23 PM

Would anyone be interested in starting a "Church of Development". Where "god" is "the future", and we worship by making it better. Basically just a developmental coin charity that religiously works towards the future.

I am a certified minister and I will work to get non-profit status in my state, but here is the base for the organization, I already have 200 members:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=213405.0

If anyone wants to get married or exercise demons, I can legally do the ceremony Smiley

Pages: « 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: