Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:47:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 [567] 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 03:50:32 PM

You guys might find this interesting: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2exd3e/bitcoin_btcd_and_golang/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 04:05:19 PM

"Why Bitcoin is Better Than Gold, with Wences Casares"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKkfhi8Eaiw

I think his talk from Bitcoin2014 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NERAN-89j8M) is better, but the above is shorter and more recent (published today).

"Barter never happened" This is the truth. It's the debt, stupid....

thats not stupid thats just true

think about it, if there was a lazy ass in the trib that called everyone names and never did anything, you think poeple would feel the owe him anything ever? so why would the help him out and "Barter", nope, its always been, poeple keeping track of who owes who.

this is just how humans interact, Barter never happened, deal with it.
 Tongue

its a good point he makes.

Barter evolved as a form of settlement between 0 trust parties. The traders on the old silk road for eg. But first and foremost it was the community and yes communities were debt based.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 04:11:55 PM

I have a problem with this debt creation means deflation meme.

In a restricted economic model, where we have some actors and some money, the value of each unit of money depends only on the actors willingness to hold. The demand and supply sides consists of the same people, where demand is the wish to hold more, and supply is the less willingness to hold.

Extending this with debt, a debt which is safe and of static volume, extends the money supply. The debt is more like money if it is transferable. If a debt is completely safe, have very low interest and is due very long time in the future, and is transferable, it is in practise equivalent to money.

In all cases up till now in the model, the money supply is static and we should have stable price level on goods in the market.

Extending the model again, now with an expanding money supply in the form of base money and debt, which is the current situation in the world, value of the money unit should fall, as the supply is now the willingness to hold less plus the new money, demand being the willingness to hold is the same.

Now the big unknown, hitherto considered static, is the willingness to hold. This is of course not static in the real world, as it depends on the actors life situation and the world situation, including the important prospect of the future value of the money. Basically, if there is an expectation that the money will fall in value, people will hold less money and hold long lasting, transferable goods instead. But this will only accelerate the fall of the value of the money, it will not be an upward pressure of the value of the money unit (otherwise called deflation).

I do not disagree that deflation is a real risk (or that it is happening now), i disagree only that it is the expanding money supply in the form of debt that is the reason for it.

In my view, it is a collapse of debt that is the reason for a possible deflation. A collapse of debt will happen when the market actors consider the risk of lending too high, or when other risks make people hoard wealth in the form of long lasting consumer goods like houses and cars, paid not with loans but paid for by less consumption of other goods.

The 'money supply' is only a fraction of total debt (USA 60 trillion). As long as debt creation in an economy is faster than productivity, you'll have inflation. As soon as the total debt sum doesn't increase as fast as productivity, you'll have deflation (Japan first and now the rest of the western world following).

Good point.  Increasing productivity has been known to cause deflation since at least Adam Smith (1776).  I still don't see how collapse of debt (which reduces the demand for money because now that debt isn't going to be repaid) causes deflation.  If you have to make debt payments, you will try make sure you have enough dollars to pay them.  This is why debt increases demand for dollars.  Again, yes initial issuance is short term inflationary, but I don't see how you can claim it is inflationary overall.

Imagine that 99 pct of the 60 trillions of debt would be wiped out. That means that the other side of the balance sheet would be wiped out as well. The price level in the economy would return to that level on which it had been as the total debt sum was at 0.6 trillions.
Zarathustra
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 04:26:28 PM

I think his talk from Bitcoin2014 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NERAN-89j8M) is better, but the above is shorter and more recent (published today).

think about it, if there was a lazy ass in the trib that called everyone names and never did anything, you think poeple would feel the owe him anything ever? so why would the help him out and "Barter", nope, its always been, poeple keeping track of who owes who.

Tongue

But first and foremost it was the community and yes communities were debt based.

Yes, human life can be called 'debitism' (Dr. Paul C. Martin) from the very beginning. That worked perfectly in a world of communities. That's the difference to the society, which is the perversion of the community. A society needs organized violence (state and church) to handle the debt.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 04:28:22 PM

Tongue

Yes, I fully agree with him.

Barter was common between tribes, not so much within them.  It still is.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Zarathustra
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 04:32:10 PM

Tongue

It wasn't. They were self-sufficient.
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 04:51:01 PM
Last edit: August 29, 2014, 05:06:07 PM by rocks

Tongue

Thought people here might like this comment from the above youtube video

If gold and silver are better than Bitcoin, why don't any businesses accept it for payment?  Bitcoin is accepted by tens of thousands of businesses, including very large merchants like Overstock, Newegg, and TigerDirect.

Gold bugs (and I used to be one) are all sitting around waiting for the other 99% of humanity to wake up and see gold as the true sound money platform, and in the process both vindicate themselves as being "right" and become rich in the process.

However, while they are patiently waiting decades, bitcoin adoption will grow and grow, realizing the vision they have for gold. At some point more and more gold bugs will switch, bitcoin is the sound money vindication they have been waiting for, it is just a different platform.

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 05:32:57 PM

If gold and silver are better than Bitcoin, why don't any businesses accept it for payment?  Bitcoin is accepted by tens of thousands of businesses, including very large merchants like Overstock, Newegg, and TigerDirect.

Gold bugs (and I used to be one) are all sitting around waiting for the other 99% of humanity to wake up and see gold as the true sound money platform, and in the process both vindicate themselves as being "right" and become rich in the process.

However, while they are patiently waiting decades, bitcoin adoption will grow and grow, realizing the vision they have for gold. At some point more and more gold bugs will switch, bitcoin is the sound money vindication they have been waiting for, it is just a different platform.

I really don't mind being paid in gold.  I actually like it quite a bit when it happens.
That is rare though.  Being paid in bitcoin is preferred to being paid in fiat.
Folks with gold rarely like to part with it.  Bitcoin is so much more liquid and divisible, so we should expect it to be more frequently transacted.
But, I still like being paid in gold when I can be.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:34:00 PM

Tongue

Exactly. You don't pay your wife to wash your clothes Wink
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 05:39:08 PM

I really don't mind being paid in gold.  I actually like it quite a bit when it happens.
That is rare though.  Being paid in bitcoin is preferred to being paid in fiat.
Folks with gold rarely like to part with it.  Bitcoin is so much more liquid and divisible, so we should expect it to be more frequently transacted.
But, I still like being paid in gold when I can be.
yes i like to receive physical gold with costly insured shipping as payment as well. because i know i can turn around and with another costly insured shipping send said gold to silvergoldbull and get spot -1% paided out in BTC. i also like the fact there is no exchange rate volatility risk with gold, because gold is rock solid.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:06:30 PM

Crap. I missed the wall take down. Was on a bike ride. How did it happen? Did one or all of the walls get taken down at once or piece meal?

Whatever, it's a great victory for the bulls who stared  those walls down for almost 24 hours. That'll teach 'em.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:03:49 PM

Crap. I missed the wall take down. Was on a bike ride. How did it happen? Did one or all of the walls get taken down at once or piece meal?

Whatever, it's a great victory for the bulls who stared  those walls down for almost 24 hours. That'll teach 'em.

I only saw stamp and bitfinex, but both were swallowed in a matter of minutes.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:10:09 PM

In a restricted economic model, where we have some actors and some money, the value of each unit of money depends only on the actors willingness to hold. The demand and supply sides consists of the same people, where demand is the wish to hold more, and supply is the less willingness to hold.

Extending this with debt, a debt which is safe and of static volume, extends the money supply. The debt is more like money if it is transferable. If a debt is completely safe, have very low interest and is due very long time in the future, and is transferable, it is in practise equivalent to money.

In all cases up till now in the model, the money supply is static and we should have stable price level on goods in the market.

Extending the model again, now with an expanding money supply in the form of base money and debt, which is the current situation in the world, value of the money unit should fall, as the supply is now the willingness to hold less plus the new money, demand being the willingness to hold is the same.

Now the big unknown, hitherto considered static, is the willingness to hold. This is of course not static in the real world, as it depends on the actors life situation and the world situation, including the important prospect of the future value of the money. Basically, if there is an expectation that the money will fall in value, people will hold less money and hold long lasting, transferable goods instead. But this will only accelerate the fall of the value of the money, it will not be an upward pressure of the value of the money unit (otherwise called deflation).

I do not disagree that deflation is a real risk (or that it is happening now), i disagree only that it is the expanding money supply in the form of debt that is the reason for it.

In my view, it is a collapse of debt that is the reason for a possible deflation. A collapse of debt will happen when the market actors consider the risk of lending too high, or when other risks make people hoard wealth in the form of long lasting consumer goods like houses and cars, paid not with loans but paid for by less consumption of other goods.

The 'money supply' is only a fraction of total debt (USA 60 trillion). As long as debt creation in an economy is faster than productivity, you'll have inflation. As soon as the total debt sum doesn't increase as fast as productivity, you'll have deflation (Japan first and now the rest of the western world following).

Good point.  Increasing productivity has been known to cause deflation since at least Adam Smith (1776).  I still don't see how collapse of debt (which reduces the demand for money because now that debt isn't going to be repaid) causes deflation.  If you have to make debt payments, you will try make sure you have enough dollars to pay them.  This is why debt increases demand for dollars.  Again, yes initial issuance is short term inflationary, but I don't see how you can claim it is inflationary overall.

Imagine that 99 pct of the 60 trillions of debt would be wiped out. That means that the other side of the balance sheet would be wiped out as well. The price level in the economy would return to that level on which it had been as the total debt sum was at 0.6 trillions.

Sure the banks would lose a lot of "assets" but all the entities who owed that money previously would find themselves keeping more of their income.  We know the banks aren't spending, but can we count on the general population and the government to sit on a surplus?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:10:41 PM

So the manipulator actually lost control of the coins as opposed to pulling down the wall? That's bullish as he will be forced to buy back later.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 07:14:08 PM

So the manipulator actually lost control of the coins as opposed to pulling down the wall? That's bullish as he will be forced to buy back later.

he kept putting up fresh walls as it was being bought, he wasted all 2K on the front line.

FNG

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:25:41 PM

he kept putting up fresh walls as it was being bought, he wasted all 2K on the front line.
Nice. Will suck for him as we breach 520
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:15:04 PM

I of course include debt in the money supply, see above (red).
Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:18:00 PM

Indirect trade is more effective, but barter happens all the time. A merger where shareholders of the bought company are paid with shares in the new company, is barter.
Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:23:59 PM

Decreasing prices due to increased productivity should not scare anyone, that was how Britain evolved from 5 million hungry people to 50 million well fed people.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:44:11 PM

I of course include debt in the money supply, see above (red).

Yes, any definition of money supply needs to include debt.
Pages: « 1 ... 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 [567] 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: