Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 11:41:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 [506] 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312593 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:21:42 AM

Do you think the governments will purpose a way to have a "mandatory" re-distribution of wealth and take XMR from people like us who are currently investing in monero as of right now?

Yes, they're called taxes.  Grin

I am expecting to pay heavy taxes on any fortune I make as a result of Monero increasing in value 1,000x to 100,000x from its current levels. 

At that point, I will probably become very bitter, start quoting Ayn Rand, and fill my Facebook feed with a nerdy mutation of the Dan Bilzerian lifestyle.  Money changes people.  Embrace what you have now while you are poor and genuine.  Wink

Hopefully I'll also fund that awesome retro video game company I dream of while I'm at it.  I want to rerelease a new 16-bit home system with slightly improved technology (think a love child between the Neo-Geo and the SNES) and extremely easy programming and licensing so anyone can release games for it.  Then I'll pay AAA companies to release brand new titles for it, including 16-bit ports of modern games.  All games will be flash cartridge based, not CD based.  I hope to not only get classics such as Shovel Knight, Castle in the Darkness, Mega Man 9, and Cave Story launched on it, but also I want to establish all new brands and icons synonymous with the PES. 

I'm not finished.  We're gonna call it the Pegasus Entertainment System and release a monthly magazine filled with tricks, tips, and reviews of your favorite games. 

I'm still not finished.  The pack-in title will be a self-titled Metroidvania where you have competing ficticious brands all trying to sell powerups.  These brands have stocks on a stock market and you buy/sell/trade them with coins you find.  In fact, in order to afford the most powerful upgrades in the game, you'll need to have the power of your investments and compound interest make you wealthy enough.  Also, you'll need to keep up with the in-game newspaper.  If one of your favorite powerup companies goes bankrupt, releases a shitty product, or has a corruption scandal, it could have game wide implications. 

Finally we will be a non-profit video game company, that makes charitable donations with any excess funds that may acquire due to sales.   Cool Cool Cool

Hahaha, sign me up! When that time comes, I hope there will be the "classic" games that SNES came out with, with titles such as "baseball", "tennis", etc. etc. ... Oh and I hope when this does become a reality for you, that I could purchase a gaming console with a genuine autograph "To chennan, yours truly, AP".

Viecoin

Activity: 852
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:29:37 AM

Can anyone tell me if Monero was designed to meet emission parity with BTC at around ~15 million XMR? When Monero is at 80% mined, will BTC be there as well?
elrippo
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:50:04 AM

Did anyone introduce Monero to some DarkMarkets?
Some guy around here is doing a bit of Marketing for Monero, i am just not able to recall his name...  Angry Grin

For Advertisement. PM me to discuss.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2015, 02:54:44 AM

Some guy around here is doing a bit of Marketing for Monero, i am just not able to recall his name...  Angry Grin

I do remember there is someone promoting XMR, but I can't recall his name either.  Tongue

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:59:39 AM

Mining is an arms race and I refuse to race for the tiny carrot reward at the end of the race.

Rather just buy whatever it is you are considering mining.

If you're clever, you do both.  Thus making XMR harder to mine.  Thus increasing the value of the XMR you bought, since the supply dries up at prices below the mining cost.

Cleverness has nothing to do with ability to run a mining farm. Money has everything to do with it as you could simply hire someone to set it up for you if you have the money to fund it all.

You bring up a good point as the mining reward decreases in theory your holdings and value of XMR should go up. That may take some time before that happens.

Less of a head ache mining for me personally.

Aside from understanding the proof of work system I may do only what smooth advocates...solo mine (with cpus) lol

Would be nice if the smart mining was implemented so those who are using that version could mine XMR and support the network while their cpu cycles are normally idle or not in usage.

What is smart mining? How would it affect solo cpu mining?

I think it has been placed for a future version but this is what I was able to find:

https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-and-announcements/112/monday-monero-missives-20-december-8th-2014

We're also quite happy to announce the addition of a new feature to Monero: Smart Mining. This is a feature that will evolve over time, but at its most basic it is something that will allow everyone running the client software to support the network in an unobtrusive manner. Smart Mining detects your CPU usage, and if your CPU is idle and you aren't on battery power (for laptops and/or connected UPS devices) it will begin mining. As soon you switch to battery power or your CPU activity picks up it will pause mining until it sees it is safe to start again. You still set your Monero address for Smart Mining, as always, and whilst your chances of solving a block may be relatively small (for now;) it is still an easy way to support the network without needing to purchase expensive equipment. This work is complete (for Linux) and is currently being tweaked to work on our other supported operating systems. Ongoing process can be followed here: https://github.com/oranjuice/bitmonero/tree/smart-mining

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

owm123

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 03:02:38 AM

To have xmr in darknet, you need hidden monero services, like xmr.to onion version (the revers version), and many others.

And the last week, monero presence in darknet was like this: https://i.imgur.com/e4FI4Vh.png

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
XMRpromotions

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 03:03:58 AM

Can anyone tell me if Monero was designed to meet emission parity with BTC at around ~15 million XMR? When Monero is at 80% mined, will BTC be there as well?
Use this spreadsheet created by a community member:
https://twitter.com/XMRpromotions/status/657029095541223424
https://t.co/6zj7jcRItP

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
owm123

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 03:06:50 AM

I think it has been placed for a future version but this is what I was able to find:

https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-and-announcements/112/monday-monero-missives-20-december-8th-2014

We're also quite happy to announce the addition of a new feature to Monero: Smart Mining. This is a feature that will evolve over time, but at its most basic it is something that will allow everyone running the client software to support the network in an unobtrusive manner. Smart Mining detects your CPU usage, and if your CPU is idle and you aren't on battery power (for laptops and/or connected UPS devices) it will begin mining. As soon you switch to battery power or your CPU activity picks up it will pause mining until it sees it is safe to start again. You still set your Monero address for Smart Mining, as always, and whilst your chances of solving a block may be relatively small (for now;) it is still an easy way to support the network without needing to purchase expensive equipment. This work is complete (for Linux) and is currently being tweaked to work on our other supported operating systems. Ongoing process can be followed here: https://github.com/oranjuice/bitmonero/tree/smart-mining

[/quote]

Thx. sounds interesting. I use Linux and recent github version of monero. Do you know how to test this feature?

phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2015, 03:07:38 AM

Mining is an arms race and I refuse to race for the tiny carrot reward at the end of the race.

Rather just buy whatever it is you are considering mining.

If you're clever, you do both.  Thus making XMR harder to mine.  Thus increasing the value of the XMR you bought, since the supply dries up at prices below the mining cost.

Cleverness has nothing to do with ability to run a mining farm. Money has everything to do with it as you could simply hire someone to set it up for you if you have the money to fund it all.

You bring up a good point as the mining reward decreases in theory your holdings and value of XMR should go up. That may take some time before that happens.

Less of a head ache mining for me personally.

Aside from understanding the proof of work system I may do only what smooth advocates...solo mine (with cpus) lol

Would be nice if the smart mining was implemented so those who are using that version could mine XMR and support the network while their cpu cycles are normally idle or not in usage.

So does this mean that "smart mining" can be used to mine with laptops without the worry of your laptop going up in flames?? If so I'm looking way more into this Smiley
elrippo
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 04:09:33 AM

I do remember there is someone promoting XMR, but I can't recall his name either.  Tongue

Found that guy  Grin
Wrote him a pm  Roll Eyes

XMRpromotions

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 04:42:55 AM

Found that guy  Grin

I do my best to promote Monero but have zero connections with any dark markets and have never promoted Monero there. My focus will continue to be on clearnet businesses with a focus on privacy and security. VPNs, encrypted email, encrypted cloud storage are a few examples of the companies I am contacting. I also am contacting privacy related charity and lobbying groups to ask about accepting Monero for donations.

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2015, 04:47:55 AM

Found that guy  Grin

I do my best to promote Monero but have zero connections with any dark markets and have never promoted Monero there. My focus will continue to be on clearnet businesses with a focus on privacy and security. VPNs, encrypted email, encrypted cloud storage are a few examples of the companies I am contacting. I also am contacting privacy related charity and lobbying groups to ask about accepting Monero for donations.

+1 for good strategy

elrippo
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 04:50:57 AM

Found that guy  Grin

Hy there,
i just was curious about the promoting you are doing. I, and i tend to speak for the rest, am very thankful for the Job you are doing to promote XMR and it´s capabilities to privacy related clearnet services.

THANK´S for your job!!!  Grin Shocked Roll Eyes Wink

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 04:52:41 AM

Found that guy  Grin

+1 for good strategy

I understand trying to get companies to understand the importance of using a crypto that isn't a "public" as bitcoin is with it's transactions... but wouldn't it be somewhat better to try and get everything "under the hood" ready to go before we purpose these companies actually use and accept XMR?  I mean the devs still have a bit of work to do, and I would imagine the companies you're contacting will do extensive research on the progress and reputation Monero has as of right now in the crypto world.

I think possibly once everything gets set up, they would be more inclined to accept it as a valid payment.  But just curious, what have these companies been saying to you?  How has the promotions been going so far?

XMRpromotions

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 05:00:11 AM

Some guy around here is doing a bit of Marketing for Monero, i am just not able to recall his name...  Angry Grin

I do remember there is someone promoting XMR, but I can't recall his name either.  Tongue

Found that guy  Grin
Wrote him a pm  Roll Eyes

+1 for good strategy

I understand trying to get companies to understand the importance of using a crypto that isn't a "public" as bitcoin is with it's transactions... but wouldn't it be somewhat better to try and get everything "under the hood" ready to go before we purpose these companies actually use and accept XMR?  I mean the devs still have a bit of work to do, and I would imagine the companies you're contacting will do extensive research on the progress and reputation Monero has as of right now in the crypto world.

I think possibly once everything gets set up, they would be more inclined to accept it as a valid payment.  But just curious, what have these companies been saying to you?  How has the promotions been going so far?

It has not been easy. I have a few good leads but most seem to be taking a wait and see approach. It is a balancing act between the work in setting up payment acceptance and the new business that Monero is likely to bring in. Even for privacy focused businesses, customer demand seems more important that payment privacy in most cases.  The companies that are most interested are the ones where the most Monero users have made contact to express interest. Retweets, emails, comments, etc. all help.  

Once we convince Tutanota to add us I hope everyone donates to them and more Monero users start using their services. This can be used as evidence to convince the VPN provider that appears most interested to accept us. I want to focus on one company at a time. When I posted lists of companies and exchanges in the past far fewer people contacted each one. I want to focus on a very small number of companies at one time. We should be thinking about how we can help them as much as how they can help us.

toffoo

Activity: 408
Merit: 261

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 05:13:14 AM

So does this mean that "smart mining" can be used to mine with laptops without the worry of your laptop going up in flames?? If so I'm looking way more into this Smiley

I've been thinking about this idea of Smart Mining on a laptop for a while and I think the way to go would be to watch either the CPU temperature or fan speed.  Being smart by watching the CPU usage and charging status is certainly a step in the right direction.  But I think CPU mining would really be more practical if it could throttle itself based on how hot or noisy the laptop is.

owm123

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 06:26:31 AM

I understand trying to get companies to understand the importance of using a crypto that isn't a "public" as bitcoin is with it's transactions... but wouldn't it be somewhat better to try and get everything "under the hood" ready to go before we purpose these companies actually use and accept XMR?  I mean the devs still have a bit of work to do, and I would imagine the companies you're contacting will do extensive research on the progress and reputation Monero has as of right now in the crypto world.

I think possibly once everything gets set up, they would be more inclined to accept it as a valid payment.  But just curious, what have these companies been saying to you?  How has the promotions been going so far?

Yes that's true, still plenty of work for monero. But this does not mean that we should not try to spread some word about xmr. And I think starting with accepting xmr for donations is a good start. The reason is that it really does not require anything special to do on the part of a service or a project. Just listing xmr address on their donate page, and that's it. Such address can be easily obtained on mymonero. And you don't have to worry about exchange rates, subscription fees, linking the fee required with a customer, as in actually paying for some service. Many privacy oriented projects list a few coin addresses, e.g.:

https://www.torservers.net/donate.html
https://geti2p.net/en/get-involved/donate

MikeCoin

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 06:37:54 AM

Found that guy  Grin

Thanks for tracking him down
elrippo
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 07:18:54 AM

Found that guy  Grin

Thanks for tracking him down

You are welcome  Grin

opennux

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 09:17:12 AM

Some guy around here is doing a bit of Marketing for Monero, i am just not able to recall his name...  Angry Grin

I do remember there is someone promoting XMR, but I can't recall his name either.  Tongue

Found that guy  Grin
Wrote him a pm  Roll Eyes

+1 for good strategy

It has not been easy. I have a few good leads but most seem to be taking a wait and see approach. It is a balancing act between the work in setting up payment acceptance and the new business that Monero is likely to bring in. Even for privacy focused businesses, customer demand seems more important that payment privacy in most cases.  The companies that are most interested are the ones where the most Monero users have made contact to express interest. Retweets, emails, comments, etc. all help.  

Once we convince Tutanota to add us I hope everyone donates to them and more Monero users start using their services. This can be used as evidence to convince the VPN provider that appears most interested to accept us. I want to focus on one company at a time. When I posted lists of companies and exchanges in the past far fewer people contacted each one. I want to focus on a very small number of companies at one time. We should be thinking about how we can help them as much as how they can help us.

It is not about convincing them from day 1 to use it in their deployment..

It is about planting a seed in their mind. It is about occupying some of their mindshare.

When all of a sudden they need to re-evaluate their deployment (because many reasons), who occupies some of their mindshare?
Pages: « 1 ... 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 [506] 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: