Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:29:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 ... 371 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1050 TH] BitMinter.com [1% PPLNS,Pays TxFees +MergedMining,Stratum,GBT,vardiff]  (Read 836876 times)
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:07:21 PM

Did you really wish to contend that *any* computer will in today's environment make more in BTC than the electricity cost when CPU mining?

Of course not. It's just there so it is possible to see what bitcoin mining is like even if you don't (yet) have the hardware to do it profitably.

For cgminer they chose to force beginners to compile the miner themselves if they want to test mining on a CPU. And most beginners don't know what "compile" even means.
So ... where is this rubbish you've stated as truth, that is in fact false, taken from?

Anyone who asks for information about CPU mining on cgminer is told that it is not supported and to not discuss the subject.
Even the cgminer README says it is not supported (and has for 1 year)
We don't want anyone to do CPU mining no matter how new to bitcoind (or stupid) they are.
None of the binaries we release allow CPU mining.

I use it on rare occasions in development to test run multiple cgminers - but it only takes a couple of minutes running on my desktop to shutdown my CPU due to overheating - so my test runs including CPU mining are usually quite short.

ckolivas did once completely remove it in a branch, but didn't end up putting it into the master (I can't remember why) but was probably due to being useful for code testing during development.

I chose a solution that made the most sense to me.
Really?
Offering CPU mining to people who are most likely ignorant of the stupidity of doing it ... makes the most sense?
Go figure.
Maybe you don't see it kano, but you're really starting to sound like the overbearing governments most of us are trying to avoid.  Protecting stupid people from making their own stupid decisions is exactly why we have so many dang laws and regulations around everything in the first place.  Let people have the freedom to make their own choices.  Let people mine with their CPU if they want.  Let DrHaribo give people the freedom to mine with their CPU if they want.  It is their choice, not yours.

Umm... I don't see Kano suggesting we make it illegal, with fines paid in BTC, for making a miner available that uses CPU.  He's just pointing out that it doesn't make sense mine with a CPU cost wise.  Some people here might not know that.

M
Kano is asking DrHaribo to remove the feature, which would limit the freedom of people to CPU mine if they wish to CPU mine.  Kind of like the government makes laws to try and protect stupid people from themselves which also limit the freedom of people.

If your purpose is to mine with a CPU for profit, then no, it doesn't make sense.  However, even kano himself just admitted that he does short testing runs with CPU mining.  Why remove the option and not let other people do CPU mining if they want?  Kano is essentially saying that what is good for him (CPU mining) isn't good for anyone else, and shouldn't be available to anyone else.  In my opinion, that is an absurd viewpoint.  There are a variety of reasons for a person to mine Bitcoins, and only one of those is for profit.  Others might include testing, experimenting, or educating.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:53:04 PM

Kano is asking DrHaribo to remove the feature, which would limit the freedom of people to CPU mine if they wish to CPU mine.  Kind of like the government makes laws to try and protect stupid people from themselves which also limit the freedom of people.

If your purpose is to mine with a CPU for profit, then no, it doesn't make sense.  However, even kano himself just admitted that he does short testing runs with CPU mining.  Why remove the option and not let other people do CPU mining if they want?  Kano is essentially saying that what is good for him (CPU mining) isn't good for anyone else, and shouldn't be available to anyone else.  In my opinion, that is an absurd viewpoint.  There are a variety of reasons for a person to mine Bitcoins, and only one of those is for profit.  Others might include testing, experimenting, or educating.
Actually if you bothered to read what I said ... yeah that may be a little difficult when your opinion is so ridiculous and biased ... I said
Then hopefully it pops up a message telling everyone that they are losing money by pressing that CPU button ...
Since there are "plenty of newcomers" that use the miner.
Myself, I will not run a closed source, obfuscated, java code miner when I have access to a free open source miner with nothing hidden.
Too risky IMO.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:57:51 PM

Did you really wish to contend that *any* computer will in today's environment make more in BTC than the electricity cost when CPU mining?

Of course not. It's just there so it is possible to see what bitcoin mining is like even if you don't (yet) have the hardware to do it profitably.

For cgminer they chose to force beginners to compile the miner themselves if they want to test mining on a CPU. And most beginners don't know what "compile" even means.
So ... where is this rubbish you've stated as truth, that is in fact false, taken from?

Anyone who asks for information about CPU mining on cgminer is told that it is not supported and to not discuss the subject.
Even the cgminer README says it is not supported (and has for 1 year)
We don't want anyone to do CPU mining no matter how new to bitcoind (or stupid) they are.
None of the binaries we release allow CPU mining.

I use it on rare occasions in development to test run multiple cgminers - but it only takes a couple of minutes running on my desktop to shutdown my CPU due to overheating - so my test runs including CPU mining are usually quite short.

ckolivas did once completely remove it in a branch, but didn't end up putting it into the master (I can't remember why) but was probably due to being useful for code testing during development.

Really?
Offering CPU mining to people who are most likely ignorant of the stupidity of doing it ... makes the most sense?
Go figure.
Maybe you don't see it kano, but you're really starting to sound like the overbearing governments most of us are trying to avoid.  Protecting stupid people from making their own stupid decisions is exactly why we have so many dang laws and regulations around everything in the first place.  Let people have the freedom to make their own choices.  Let people mine with their CPU if they want.  Let DrHaribo give people the freedom to mine with their CPU if they want.  It is their choice, not yours.

Umm... I don't see Kano suggesting we make it illegal, with fines paid in BTC, for making a miner available that uses CPU.  He's just pointing out that it doesn't make sense mine with a CPU cost wise.  Some people here might not know that.

M

He's suggesting.  Nothing else.  Not demanding.  Not filing a class action lawsuit.  Suggesting.  Doc is free to ignore or take his suggestion as he wishes.

I'm against government strongarming as much as anyone.  But this is not that.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 11:23:20 PM

No one here needs his suggestions. He's acting like an arrogant fuck using every chance to piss Docs legs. Who needs that shit ?

mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 11:27:36 PM

No one here needs his suggestions. He's acting like an arrogant fuck using every chance to piss Docs legs. Who needs that shit ?

If someone offends someone else, it's probably because there's some truth to the matter.  I didn't see him as arrogant, why did you?

Last I checked it's still a somewhat free world.  No need to take things so personal.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
PsychoticBoy
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1010

Parental Advisory Explicit Content

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 11:32:25 PM

Some people are just annoying  Wink
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 11:36:20 PM

Keep trolling, I keep mining Cheesy

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 11:37:58 PM

Actually if you bothered to read what I said ... yeah that may be a little difficult when your opinion is so ridiculous and biased ... I said
Then hopefully it pops up a message telling everyone that they are losing money by pressing that CPU button ...
Myself, I will not run a closed source, obfuscated, java code miner when I have access to a free open source miner with nothing hidden.
Too risky IMO.
Why do you believe I have a biased opinion?  Who has biased me, and how/why?

Sure you said that bit about a message popping up (which I believe is a good idea, and which DrHaribo seems to have vaguely implied he has implemented), but then you follow it up with the post I quoted, stating that DrHaribo's choice to leave the CPU miner in didn't make sense, that we don't want CPU miners (who is "we", and how do you know they all agree with you?), and that what DrHaribo said is false (how is it? It seems a user would have to compile it themselves if they wanted to CPU mine).  I felt it prudent to follow up with support as to why CPU mining can be appropriate in some cases.  One particularly relevant case would be someone experimenting with Bitcoin mining who doesn't have a GPU capable of mining.

I don't think whichever miner you choose to run is relevant to the conversation.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 12:00:05 AM

Too risky IMO.
Why do you believe I have a biased opinion?  Who has biased me, and how/why?
You have a ridiculous opinion because you have attempted to tum my comment
... Sigh ...
Into
limit the freedom of people

You have a biased opinion because you ignored my comment that clearly stated
Bias:
Statistics. a systematic as opposed to a random distortion of a statistic as a result of sampling procedure.

Your sampling ignored something that made your argument invalid.

Sure you said that bit about a message popping up (which I believe is a good idea, and which DrHaribo seems to have vaguely implied he has implemented), but then you follow it up with the post I quoted, stating that DrHaribo's choice to leave the CPU miner in didn't make sense, that we don't want CPU miners (who is "we", and how do you know they all agree with you?), and that what DrHaribo said is false (how is it? It seems a user would have to compile it themselves if they wanted to CPU mine).  I felt it prudent to follow up with support as to why CPU mining can be appropriate in some cases.  One particularly relevant case would be someone experimenting with Bitcoin mining who doesn't have a GPU capable of mining.
As I made quite clear IMO - it didn't make sense to me.
Really?
Go figure.
As for "we" I am referring to ckolivas and myself - no one else.

I don't think whichever miner you choose to run is relevant to the conversation.
It is when DrHaribo says:
Why don't you try it and find out? Or are you just here for the trolling?
I explained why I wouldn't run it.
Though I guess I could look through the java code for a message about CPU mining ... though the obfuscation makes that slightly more cumbersome to do.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 12:13:51 AM

Sounds like I misunderstood portions of your post, certainly.

I simply do not wish to see the CPU miner removed from BitMinter is all.  I think it is a good feature and a necessary tool for newbies.
hahahafr

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 12:13:35 AM

pool down

◢◣                      ◢◣
                                     ◢████◣           ◢████◣
                               ◢████████◣◢████████◣
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████◤██████
                               ███████████◤████████
                               █████████◤██████████
                               ███████◤████████████
                               █████◤██████████████
                               █████◣                       ◢█████
                               ███████◣            ◢███████
                               █████████◣◢█████████
                               ◥████████◤◥████████◤
                                    ◥████◤            ◥████◤
                                          ◥◤                      

HYDAX
       Secure  
   Efficient
   Simple  
   Medium 
    Twitter  
    Telegram 
[/center
thph

Activity: 345
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 12:21:18 AM

working now - was a short break

btc 1JZC6AfStkJ32mmhEkTjnfHZSFUHHzFhmD
atb APdYw1DsN7zxgofHBq5cCgFFpjBY1MYDx5
WhitePhantom

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 08:07:22 PM

working now - was a short break
Yup, I made a whole 4 bitcents on my backup at BTC Guild.
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2013, 09:08:47 PM

Dang it. It was only a few seconds of downtime. I can't get away with anything anymore.  Cheesy

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
AfricanHunter

Activity: 157
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 09:21:02 AM
Last edit: January 15, 2013, 09:33:12 AM by AfricanHunter

pressing button doesnt do anything. Have to exit client and start it again (only way to get it working). Have had same thing couple of times under win 8 beta comp. This one was win 7. What version it has dont know right now, prolly the one that was out 3 months ago Cheesy Can check if needed.

That sounds like the Java bug I added a workaround for in the new beta. You may want to upgrade your java to the latest release to make sure it won't happen again.

Also, I need more feedback from BFL miners before I can release 1.3.1. Hint, hint owners of BFL FPGAs Smiley

I am running the new beta 1.3.1beta2 on a 7970 and bfl single. Just turned it up but so far so good. Is a couple mhash faster too; previously I was getting 8 mhash under the driver I ran (so 808mhash firmware would run at 800 on bitminter) but now it is 5-6 mhash less instead of 8. The 7970 seems faster too but could be my imagination as gpu tends to fluctuate quite a bit more than the fpga.

Windows 7 64 bit running latest java 7 update 11

Will let you know if I have any issues and post this on your software thread.

Thinking about doing business with johnniewalkerhttps://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=72227?
First read this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131841.0

Also, Join the National Rifle Association to protect 2nd Amendment Rights http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR020022
kano
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 12:20:17 PM

808Mh/s takes 5.31555s to hash a nonce range.
Each block (on average) you will lose half a nonce range ... if the code is optimal - i.e. if it aborts the nonce range when an LP arrives and throws away the work - without counting it since it can't be counted.
Thus 2.65888s
Thus 0.4430% of 10 minutes
and 0.4430% of 808Mh/s is 3.58Mh/s
So the max average expected hash rate is a bit over 804MH/s
So assuming the reported number is accurate - it's not far off ... Smiley

kano
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 12:32:33 PM

Dang it. It was only a few seconds of downtime. I can't get away with anything anymore.  Cheesy
Yeah that's a (minor) issue with all implementations of Stratum so far also.
Everyone's miner will notice a server restart since it's a constant TCP/IP connection.

cgminer currently throws away any work when the stratum connection is lost since no pools will accept the old work
(as I mentioned at OzCoin)
It's not much of an issue for anyone with a reliable internet connection, but for someone with an unreliable internet connection it can lose a noticeable number of shares.

Most stratum pools should be only losing something like a few shares a day (or something like 0.05% or less) for each miner, but with an unreliable internet connection on stratum, that can become multiple times as many rejects (though of course it's still way less than GetWork or GBT)

DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2013, 06:46:27 PM

I am running the new beta 1.3.1beta2 on a 7970 and bfl single. Just turned it up but so far so good. Is a couple mhash faster too; previously I was getting 8 mhash under the driver I ran (so 808mhash firmware would run at 800 on bitminter) but now it is 5-6 mhash less instead of 8. The 7970 seems faster too but could be my imagination as gpu tends to fluctuate quite a bit more than the fpga.

Windows 7 64 bit running latest java 7 update 11

Will let you know if I have any issues and post this on your software thread.

That's what I like to hear! Thanks for testing. Looks like 1.3.1 will soon be ready.

Each block (on average) you will lose half a nonce range ... if the code is optimal - i.e. if it aborts the nonce range when an LP arrives and throws away the work - without counting it since it can't be counted.

Yes, with every block change it aborts the current work. And the already processed hashes that are thrown away are not counted towards the hashrate. So at every block change you can see a dip in the hashrate. That can be a little confusing for some users, but it's a result of how the BFL FPGAs work.

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
AfricanHunter

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 11:57:56 AM

Stable for last 24ish hours

Thinking about doing business with johnniewalkerhttps://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=72227?

Also, Join the National Rifle Association to protect 2nd Amendment Rights http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR020022
AfricanHunter

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 02:00:30 PM

Been totally stable since my first post.

Doc, if you want my email so you can email me to test new versions drop me a message. I have bfl ASIC's on preorder as well.

Pages: « 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 ... 371 »
  Print  

Jump to: