Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:55:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412869 times)
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 12:15:23 AM

Difficulty is measured differently for Scrypt coins than for SHA256 coins.

With CPUs you can still get some Tenebrix and Fairbrix, but they are not traded anywhere so are purely speculative, might end up not being worth the electricity used or might end up massive money windfalls like BBQcoin did (used to be you could CPU mine BBQcoin too, for about a year).

To merged mine you need to run your own p2pool, it makes merged mining easy, it gives you the bitcoins you mine and with GPUs those should just about cover the electric though ould take a LONG time to pay for the machien and the GPU at current low price of bitcoins. Then all the other coins you can merge are gravy, although with just one GPU you can go a year without happening to find a namecoin block and might maybe find a devcoin block. But you will get some GRouPcoin, maybe once in a blue moon a block of Ixcoin, and lots of I0Coin and CoiLedCoin and GeistGeld.

There is some speculation lately that maybe it could be worthwhile to set up a merged mining corp, that would run its own p2pool and save all the rare / obscure coins in its inventory until some potential far away day when they start to become valuable. Not much actually happening yet toward making that happen though, partly because it takes quite an expensive dedicated server just to run all the coins and the p2pool.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 12:24:51 AM

B) I'm not sure how it's tracked, but you earn Devcoins. Unthinkingbit probably has more info.

I do not have page view information for articles, so now it's just a word count. Once I have page view information I'll update devtome.py to pay writers partly according to how many views/word their work received in the past.

I just thought of another question and perhaps someone else like MarkM or fuzzybear or anybody in the know can answer it, but just a rough idea, what's a normal number of pageviews for just a normal article cause I have no idea.  That way I have a target to shoot for and maybe I'll be able to think of way to structure a paper so it it's more visible, kind of like using key words on a resume knowing a computer first looks at it for qualifications.

Also, one top of what's normal page views what would be considered above average for an article and what's considered excellent and then finally, how would you pay writers, again just a rough idea, like 1 devcoin per 10 pageviews, 1 devcoin per page view, or what were you thinking.

One last thing, where are we on the coin redesign?  you said the contest would close once you had 15 entries so I'm curious where we are on that.  thanks.

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 12:42:35 AM

Difficulty is measured differently for Scrypt coins than for SHA256 coins.

With CPUs you can still get some Tenebrix and Fairbrix, but they are not traded anywhere so are purely speculative, might end up not being worth the electricity used or might end up massive money windfalls like BBQcoin did (used to be you could CPU mine BBQcoin too, for about a year).

To merged mine you need to run your own p2pool, it makes merged mining easy, it gives you the bitcoins you mine and with GPUs those should just about cover the electric though ould take a LONG time to pay for the machien and the GPU at current low price of bitcoins. Then all the other coins you can merge are gravy, although with just one GPU you can go a year without happening to find a namecoin block and might maybe find a devcoin block. But you will get some GRouPcoin, maybe once in a blue moon a block of Ixcoin, and lots of I0Coin and CoiLedCoin and GeistGeld.

There is some speculation lately that maybe it could be worthwhile to set up a merged mining corp, that would run its own p2pool and save all the rare / obscure coins in its inventory until some potential far away day when they start to become valuable. Not much actually happening yet toward making that happen though, partly because it takes quite an expensive dedicated server just to run all the coins and the p2pool.

-MarkM-

Thanks mark, I really do wanna mine something, anything I just can't afford a new computer right now and especially not a high end GPU and the electricity it uses.  that's why I got this lower end low voltage 8 core server, I was hoping I could use it to CPU something with low electricity costs.

So let me get a few things straight:

1) even with a good computer you'd rarely get just 1 block of devcoins out of which you only keep 5,000, right?  Like what, 2 maybe 3 blocks per month, so maybe 15,000 devcoins per month?

2) with the same decent computer you'd find a namecoin block maybe once per year and the same for bitcoin, right?  man, it hurts to have missed namecoin when it was at .001. 

anyway,

3) you're also saying that it's very hard maybe once per month with a decent computer to find 1 block of IXcoin and I'm just guessing there's probably 25 coins in a block.  Which would be crazy when you can buy 1,000 iXcoins for $10.  Why waste the electiricy.

So you can see, I'm trying to narrow it down to what coins can be mined efficiently.  So far you're better off buying them on the open market or admitting that's one boat you missed as is the case for me with bitcoin, litecoin and namecoin.

4) But you're saying that there's a few coins you can find a lot of.  Can you pool mine these or solo or whatever is better with the server I have, basically a CPU miner?  If not I do have a riser card in there and I can put some kind of GPU but it would have to be worth it.  I don't care about the dollar value of the coins I just want to be able to find lots of them as a speculative play.  I can pay $50 per month in electricity if I'm accumulating a few hundred thousand coins of each various coin.  It just wouldn't be worth the effort for say 5,000 coins which aren't worth anything today.  WEll, except maybe IXcoin as I have a good feeling about that one but we already went over ixcoin and that's a tough one.

So can I set up a pool miner like you say with this one server?  what about 2 of these servers running together I can probably get the one I sold my brother back?  And where do I get the software to mine, that's been the hardest thing for me to get going.  Ridiculously difficult.

Please let me know from your experience which coins you can mine right now and how many you can fairly expect each month (of each type) and what priced rig you would need.

X) I did order 2 5GH butterfly rigs from butterfly labs a few weeks ago but I'm probably a few months behind (my order number was around 51,000 which was way back) and I've read they come preinstalled to only mine bitcoins which is a waste of a great asic machine.  I'm hoping there's gonna be a hack right away to let it loose on coins like ixcoin and any other coins that are a good spec play.

thanks again.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 12:47:28 AM

-MarkM-

Can you give me a conservative quote of about how many coins per month of each of the two, Tenebrix and Fairbrix one could CPU mine?  And what was their low and high value if they ever traded.  And what caused them to go to zero or to be extinct as even IXcoin which is abandoned is worth something and people are mining it and trading it so why are these two DOA? 

Out of curiousity, what kind mining coin-wise was an average mine getting a year ago on BBQ coin per month, how much were they selling for then and how much did they sell for when you say it was a massive windfall?  I'm trying to get some ideas of real potential here based on real past events.  Thanks again.

regards,

Vlad

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 12:52:29 AM

Can somebody comment on the BRIGHT RED advertisement I just saw on this page which says basically that ripple LIED to us and it's a scam?

what?

I just opened up a ripple account today, did I just give these guys access to my network or something?  I saw Sr guys on here saying ripple was great and now this ad which is obvisouly paying money to be on here so it must be legit saying ripple is a scam and we were lied to?  I need to know if I should close that account down, man, I gave them my email addresss and everything.  Their site looked so legit, it was way better than viircurex and on the same level, almost, as coinbase.  This is the wild wild west!

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 01:00:31 AM

[/quote]
That's awesome, ya'll are gonna make like a AdSense where you pay in devcoins? Smiley
[/quote]

finshaggy, did you say you've been doing this devtome wirting thing for only about 30 days now or so?

I'm asking cause you have 5 gold coins to your name and over 900 posts and I'm still trying to just get to my 3rd coin so I can get access to some basic stuff like an avatar pic and stuff like that.

I'm at 23.5 hours logged in and almost 100 posts in roughly 10 days.  But that's not an accurate picture as I probably posted at least 5,000 words maybe even closer to 7,000, which is more than some people write all month for pay.  lol

Maybe there should be a variable added to this ranking system where the number of posts carry weight but also the length of posts cause it's easy to write 500 one line posts while the majority of my posts, the large majority, are at least 200 or 300 words and quite a few are over 500.  that's a lot when you think that you could spend the same time and effort doing the same exact thing and get paid for it by devtome/devcoin.

jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:49:38 AM

Now that the portal is up we are working on the devcoin ad network.
That's awesome, ya'll are gonna make like a AdSense where you pay in devcoins? Smiley

Basically.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 02:39:34 AM

Landmark event: I just crossed 24 hours so 1 day in logged in minutes/day so I wanna see what/if anything happens if I also hit 100 posts if I jump in rank to level 3 coins as 100 posts and 1 day seem to have a nice ring together just like to go to JR level was 4 hours and 4 posts.   

Here we go, I'm holding my breath.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 02:40:07 AM

Man, that was post 99....here's post 100.  lol

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 02:41:38 AM

Nothing?  absolutely nothing?

what do these people want?  I've been on this thing nearly 24/7, high standards are great but can we lower them just in this once instance.

FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 02:45:54 AM

finshaggy, did you say you've been doing this devtome wirting thing for only about 30 days now or so?

I'm asking cause you have 5 gold coins to your name and over 900 posts and I'm still trying to just get to my 3rd coin so I can get access to some basic stuff like an avatar pic and stuff like that.

I'm at 23.5 hours logged in and almost 100 posts in roughly 10 days.  But that's not an accurate picture as I probably posted at least 5,000 words maybe even closer to 7,000, which is more than some people write all month for pay.  lol

Maybe there should be a variable added to this ranking system where the number of posts carry weight but also the length of posts cause it's easy to write 500 one line posts while the majority of my posts, the large majority, are at least 200 or 300 words and quite a few are over 500.  that's a lot when you think that you could spend the same time and effort doing the same exact thing and get paid for it by devtome/devcoin.

Yeah.
I started less than 30 days ago probably.

I posted like 200 times in the noob section before my 4 hrs was up, so I kinda had a jump start. Then I had tons of ideas and questions about bitcoin. And someone introduced me to Devtome. Smiley

Yeah, a lot of people got 1-4. I expected a big jump in share numbers at the end, but nothing really happened.

The number of posts? Like on Bitcointalk? Or on Devtome? I'm confused.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 02:46:52 AM

Landmark event: I just crossed 24 hours so 1 day in logged in minutes/day so I wanna see what/if anything happens if I also hit 100 posts if I jump in rank to level 3 coins as 100 posts and 1 day seem to have a nice ring together just like to go to JR level was 4 hours and 4 posts.   

Here we go, I'm holding my breath.

I think 100 and 250 then 500. Not positive, but I think that's how it goes.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 02:47:35 AM

Now that the portal is up we are working on the devcoin ad network.

Basically.
That's gonna be awesome. I'm gonna buy some ads when it's up Smiley

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 03:05:52 AM

Forgot to mention during the traffic discussion, you can share your pages here too, to get traffic:
http://homegrownsouth.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 03:08:26 AM

wait, you can post on devtome?

I took a note out of your book finshaggy and put some links to some of my papers at the bottom of my box here as well as a beggars jar with donation wallet numbers.  Lol, hey, I see them all over the place, you never know, maybe someone is gonna feel really generous one day and I'm gonna be there to answer a super easy question.

That's kinda how life works.

Speaking of which, Powerball lottery was $600 Million tonight and I didn't even buy a ticket cause I've been up and cooped up in the house since yesterday.  

Let's see if these links at the bottom work cause that's a good way to drive some traffic like you said.  

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 03:11:56 AM

YAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

IT WAS a full day (1 day) of logged in time and then 101 posts cause on my 102'd I got my 3rd coin and am now a real man, a real full member.  man it feels great when you actually work for it.  Now I wonder if this transfers over to devtome so I can post graphs, pics and diagrams for some of the papers I write there or if this is totally separate from devtome.

I'll find out soon. 

And the links are showing at the bottom of my page which is nice although the 3 coin wallets I put aren't showing even though there's plenty of room.  I think maybe cause I left too much space to try and make it look nice.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 03:31:41 AM

YAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

IT WAS a full day (1 day) of logged in time and then 101 posts cause on my 102'd I got my 3rd coin and am now a real man, a real full member.  man it feels great when you actually work for it.  Now I wonder if this transfers over to devtome so I can post graphs, pics and diagrams for some of the papers I write there or if this is totally separate from devtome.

I'll find out soon. 

And the links are showing at the bottom of my page which is nice although the 3 coin wallets I put aren't showing even though there's plenty of room.  I think maybe cause I left too much space to try and make it look nice.

Yeah, it's still there even if you can't see it. And congrats on the rank

To everyone, read this so you can help Devcoin become more widespread and valuable:http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_advertising_campaign

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 03:35:56 AM

Forgot to mention during the traffic discussion, you can share your pages here too, to get traffic:

That's good to know.  It's stuff like this I have no idea about since I'm so new to all this.

I'm so tired and my back hurts from sitting so many hours.  I'm gonna try and go to bed.

Oh, a weird thing just happened while I was going through my devtome and copying the links to put them on here, my last essay disappeared.  That's weird, is that possible or did it get taken down?  It wasn't 1,000 words but it was something interesting I thought of and I just couldn't come up with 1,000 good words so I didn't wanna just put fluff, but there were at least 600, maybe 700 words then the stuff I copied and posted from wiki for which I provided a link source.  

I was trying to show the global trends and also the various key and high tech countries to show that nobody is talking about bitcoin, devcoin, alternate currencies or the fact we have 2 new billionaires nobody has ever met so this essay basically supported my theory in what I believe only one-tenth of 1% of the population currently is aware of what's going on and when some new catalyst erupts then it's gonna bitcoin 2.0 and 3.0 ....on steroids.  

But it's gone.  deleted.  Maybe I used too much twitter stuff but word wise the stuff from twitter wasn't more than 100 words total and I linked all the twitter sections so there was no doubt what was my writing and what came from twitter.

Oh well, at least I didn't lose a 20 page paper I worked on all night long.  

good night man...and good luck.  I'm gonna check back with MarkM (now that I'm a real man FULL member) to see what he says about mining some of those "worthless" coins cause I wanna hit this from every angle and I don't care if nobody wants those coins as long as it's worth mining them.

Later,

Vlad

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 04:01:29 AM

That's good to know.  It's stuff like this I have no idea about since I'm so new to all this.

I'm so tired and my back hurts from sitting so many hours.  I'm gonna try and go to bed.

Oh, a weird thing just happened while I was going through my devtome and copying the links to put them on here, my last essay disappeared.  That's weird, is that possible or did it get taken down?  It wasn't 1,000 words but it was something interesting I thought of and I just couldn't come up with 1,000 good words so I didn't wanna just put fluff, but there were at least 600, maybe 700 words then the stuff I copied and posted from wiki for which I provided a link source.  

I was trying to show the global trends and also the various key and high tech countries to show that nobody is talking about bitcoin, devcoin, alternate currencies or the fact we have 2 new billionaires nobody has ever met so this essay basically supported my theory in what I believe only one-tenth of 1% of the population currently is aware of what's going on and when some new catalyst erupts then it's gonna bitcoin 2.0 and 3.0 ....on steroids.  

But it's gone.  deleted.  Maybe I used too much twitter stuff but word wise the stuff from twitter wasn't more than 100 words total and I linked all the twitter sections so there was no doubt what was my writing and what came from twitter.

Oh well, at least I didn't lose a 20 page paper I worked on all night long.  

good night man...and good luck.  I'm gonna check back with MarkM (now that I'm a real man FULL member) to see what he says about mining some of those "worthless" coins cause I wanna hit this from every angle and I don't care if nobody wants those coins as long as it's worth mining them.

Later,

Vlad

Yeah, I can't think of why it would have been deleted. There is no word requirement, that only applies to shares... Maybe it was a mod though, idk.

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 04:18:42 AM

I figured out how to track your page views:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?do=search&id=collin+county&fulltext=Search

Pages: « 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: