Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:39:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285063 times)
mikeo

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 03:13:35 PM

Hey again guys Cheesy !! I've had no feedback what so ever lol I don't know if this is a good thing or bad lol ??

I have some feed back and this may be directly related to me since I use smartcoin

-1) I noticed that the prefinal version of linuxcoin does not cleanly reboot ( could be an issue for remote administration
-2) may want to make the final default persistent boot option
-3) for some reason I have to run my aticonfig commands as root now where that wasn't needed on the .2b version ( causes issues with smartcoin)
-4) the packaged install of smartcoin does not work ( may be easier to just include a install script that will install the latest version if the end user would like to utilize it )
+5) it does boot faster
+6) I like the secure bitcoin client ( even though I dont use a local wallet )

This is just what I have noticed when playing with it in the last 30 min may have more later

-1) Same experience here.
-2) I agree, make persistent mode the default.
-3) I've always used root for aticonfig.
-4) Haven't tried smartcoin yet, but my first cursery attempt to use guiminer failed and not tried it again.
-5) agreed.
-6) See my previous post, having some problems with sercure bitcoin client.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
drgr33n (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 03:17:39 PM

Hey again guys Cheesy !! I've had no feedback what so ever lol I don't know if this is a good thing or bad lol ??

I have some feed back and this may be directly related to me since I use smartcoin

-1) I noticed that the prefinal version of linuxcoin does not cleanly reboot ( could be an issue for remote administration
-2) may want to make the final default persistent boot option
-3) for some reason I have to run my aticonfig commands as root now where that wasn't needed on the .2b version ( causes issues with smartcoin)
-4) the packaged install of smartcoin does not work ( may be easier to just include a install script that will install the latest version if the end user would like to utilize it )
+5) it does boot faster
+6) I like the secure bitcoin client ( even though I dont use a local wallet )

This is just what I have noticed when playing with it in the last 30 min may have more later

-1) Same experience here.
-2) I agree, make persistent mode the default.
-3) I've always used root for aticonfig.
-4) Haven't tried smartcoin yet, but my first cursery attempt to use guiminer failed and not tried it again.
-5) agreed.
-6) See my previous post, having some problems with sercure bitcoin client.

GUIminer has a small bug atm because it cannot find the phatk kernel using poclbm. You can just setup a new miner using phoenix for now. I've already fixed this for the final version. I sort of expected a few issues due to the amount of changes. Thats why I didn't really want to ask the guys hosting to upload this version and wait for the final version.
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 03:18:02 PM

...make persistent mode the default.

Please!

With transient as second option

I was never able to figure out what all the other options are for and/or they did nothing, and have been deleting them so as not to confuse people.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
EnzoMatrix

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 04:43:00 PM

1) Yes I have noticed this and I think it has something to do with plymouth. I'm looking into it now ;.)
2) Could do ? Not really considered this but it sounds like a good idea !!
3) May be due to the added security features of linuxcoin ? I will take a look later.
4) Umm it was tested ? What exactly is happening your end ?

Thanks for reporting these issues guys. I'll keep you updated as usual Cheesy

1) thank you
2) just a thought
3) no worries I can adjust
4) I have spoken with the SmartCoin Author an it appears that there is a specific process to set it up
     a) sudo su
     b) svn update
     c) bash ./smartcoin_install.sh
     d) smartcoin needs to be run as rot due to added security ( so far I have only been able to get it to work by launching it from xwindows )

--Enzo
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 06:50:29 PM

Using 0.2prefinal in persistent mode. I'm having some difficulty with the Secure Bitcoin Client. First time I set it up it seemed to work fine. It issued a passphrase and all seemed well for that session. However, in subsequent sessions when the secure bitcoin client is launched and the passphrase is entered it opens with an entirely different coin key shown. I tried to create a new key and the secure client locked up.

What is the correct procedure for establishing a persistent, secure bitcoin client?

Got to the bottom of this one Cheesy Seems as if I was having one of my special moments when I wrote this. Of course your key changes because the script starts the bitcoin client then does the wallet transfer lol. Can you do me a favor and try this version .

EDIT: two secs Wink
Code:
deti

Activity: 65

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 07:26:00 PM

Two things about linuxcoin-v0.2-prefinal.iso:

1. "Install LinuxCoin onto a HDD"-YouTube manual doesn't work any more. Grub can't be installed ... How can I do it now? I had to move back to linuxcoin-v0.2.1b.iso.

2. Why is /opt/miners/phoenix/phoenix.py not executable by default now? In the previous version it was!

EnzoMatrix

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 08:36:44 PM

1. "Install LinuxCoin onto a HDD"-YouTube manual doesn't work any more. Grub can't be installed ... How can I do it now? I had to move back to linuxcoin-v0.2.1b.iso.

2. Why is /opt/miners/phoenix/phoenix.py not executable by default now? In the previous version it was!

Glad you said something I was going to attempt to move my install to HD but I am waiting on the 0.2-final

--Enzo
bansal

Activity: 61

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 09:53:02 PM

Wondering if anyone has any ideas to help me with this, I got linuxcoin installed with two 6970s and works fine, it is mining away.  I put together another rig with two 6950s, and x server won't load.  I used a generic PCI-e card to boot up with x server and left one 6950 card in, and was able to boot up, and I can see the one 6950 with aticonfig, catalyst won't come up says drivers not installed, and poclbm only recognizes the CPU. 

Any help or insight would be appreciated.  Thanks.
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:17:13 PM

Wondering if anyone has any ideas to help me with this, I got linuxcoin installed with two 6970s and works fine, it is mining away.  I put together another rig with two 6950s, and x server won't load.  I used a generic PCI-e card to boot up with x server and left one 6950 card in, and was able to boot up, and I can see the one 6950 with aticonfig, catalyst won't come up says drivers not installed, and poclbm only recognizes the CPU. 

Any help or insight would be appreciated.  Thanks.

try running sudo aticonfig --initial --adapter=all

Smiley
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 10:26:05 PM

1) Don't install this version to your HDD it's only out for a few more days then you can have the final version. What errors you getting with grub ?
2) Probably forgot to set the permissions on that file. I'll fix it up for the final version.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas to help me with this, I got linuxcoin installed with two 6970s and works fine, it is mining away.  I put together another rig with two 6950s, and x server won't load.  I used a generic PCI-e card to boot up with x server and left one 6950 card in, and was able to boot up, and I can see the one 6950 with aticonfig, catalyst won't come up says drivers not installed, and poclbm only recognizes the CPU.  

Any help or insight would be appreciated.  Thanks.

You will have to excuse me but I don't quite get you ? Does aticonfig work with one card and catalyst says there's no drivers or it works with the one card one but doesn't  ? I have come across the odd troubles down to a bug with acpi routing. You could try appending the boot line and adding

Code:
pci=noacpi

It's solved a load of weird troubles my end Cheesy
malavita

Activity: 90

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 01:24:52 AM

You will have to excuse me but I don't quite get you ? Does aticonfig work with one card and catalyst says there's no drivers or it works with the one card one but doesn't  ? I have come across the odd troubles down to a bug with acpi routing. You could try appending the boot line and adding

Code:
pci=noacpi

That's odd: if I disable ACPI support in the BIOS I can't even boot, but you're saying to disable it at boot.

Somebody's gotta finance this revolution - you can help by donating supplies, ammo, field hospital beds or simply BTCs here: 1QBNASECM8z2LLojkqZH3s2F8Ur7nhafNc
TripHammer

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 04:04:55 AM

Sorry dude, life is getting in the way at the moment... Friday and over the weekend I'll have time to test
sirky

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 11:19:05 AM

I get a segmentation fault when I run cgminer. Probably an issue with that miner though, and not linuxcoin.
Smalleyster

Activity: 84

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 12:07:50 PM

Got full downloads this time. Slightly smaller than previous version. Boots up! New splash no where as nice as previous. Nice not have all the text on boot, but it takes a full 50 seconds to get to desktop.

Did not copy live-rw file yet, only booted to default.

Only managed to fiddle with "secure client" for about 1/2 hour...extremly confusing password issues...will test thoroughly soon, but at this point I think it needs more work to be ready for the average user.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 12:16:29 PM
Last edit: July 28, 2011, 12:45:06 PM by drgr33n

I get a segmentation fault when I run cgminer. Probably an issue with that miner though, and not linuxcoin.

Can you post what was happening at the time and the actual error ?

You will have to excuse me but I don't quite get you ? Does aticonfig work with one card and catalyst says there's no drivers or it works with the one card one but doesn't  ? I have come across the odd troubles down to a bug with acpi routing. You could try appending the boot line and adding

Code:
pci=noacpi

That's odd: if I disable ACPI support in the BIOS I can't even boot, but you're saying to disable it at boot.

This doesn't disable ACPI this just disables the use of ACPI routing information during the PCI configuration stages. I think pci=nobios will work too.

Got full downloads this time. Slightly smaller than previous version. Boots up! New splash no where as nice as previous. Nice not have all the text on boot, but it takes a full 50 seconds to get to desktop.

Did not copy live-rw file yet, only booted to default.

Only managed to fiddle with "secure client" for about 1/2 hour...extremly confusing password issues...will test thoroughly soon, but at this point I think it needs more work to be ready for the average user.

Thanks for testing Smalleyster !! Can you elaborate more on what you found confusing ? I wouldn't test the secure bitcoin client yet. I've found the troubles with the script and have fixed them up. Its hard for a smoker like me to keep track of everything I do Cheesy I'm a very scatty person and I'm fiddling with one thing then over to the next without looking at what I done previously Cheesy I am full retard when it comes down to organizational skills lol

And you don't like the new boot screen Cheesy !! lol Ok I'll make it look a lot more slick on the final version. I was thinking of a spinning bitcoin that fills up with color as the system loads ? I wanted to move from the old splashy to plymouth because it's alot more powerful !!
mikeo

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 12:29:56 PM

@drg33n

On a positive note: with 0.2pre-final I'm getting faster hashrates on my 5830s & 5850s to the tune of 8 - 12 MH/s increase at same OC settings as version 0.2.1b!

drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 12:47:09 PM

@drg33n

On a positive note: with 0.2pre-final I'm getting faster hashrates on my 5830s & 5850s to the tune of 8 - 12 MH/s increase at same OC settings as version 0.2.1b!

Great news !! I was worried about this due to the supposed performance decrease when rolling with grsecurity. I've got to say apart from the initial booting stage I haven't found no difference what so ever. Also with readahead and preload linuxcoin should run a bit faster.
sirky

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 01:53:24 PM

I just ran it from the command line, with nothing else running. It goes to the main screen and seg faults immediately.

When I run it -n (I think that is the option) it does see my GPU's though.

Also... aticonfig does not work on my system, even if the first thing I do is accept the licence. It worked perfectly with .2a.

POCLBM is mining on my PC no problem right now though (but if I don't run it with sudo it says I cannot access some .elf file).
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:05:51 PM
Last edit: July 28, 2011, 02:27:07 PM by drgr33n

I just ran it from the command line, with nothing else running. It goes to the main screen and seg faults immediately.

When I run it -n (I think that is the option) it does see my GPU's though.

Also... aticonfig does not work on my system, even if the first thing I do is accept the licence. It worked perfectly with .2a.

POCLBM is mining on my PC no problem right now though (but if I don't run it with sudo it says I cannot access some .elf file).

aticonfig should work without you extracting the license ? I'm looking into cgminer as we speak, I'll look at poclbm after. Whats the error output of aticonfig ?

Thanks guys I've now fixed most of the bugs here. also setup a repository with upload support Wink I will be transferring all of linuxcoin over to there eventually and maybe start work on a 32bit version after this is out.

EDIT:

cgminer fixed !! just add

Code:
deb http://www.linuxcoin.co.uk/apt sid main non-free contrib

and

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install cgminer

I've just checked poclbm using the user and the admin account and everything seems fine ?
sirky

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:52:51 PM

Oh right, I should have said that.

It was something along the lines of 'No Valid Adapters' even though I did --adapters=all.

So I guess it cannot see my video cards even though I can mine??
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: